gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:52:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monterey Pop Festival  (Read 17295 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 07:10:48 AM »

Donovan didn't decline voluntarily, he couldn't get a visa into the US to perform because of a prior drug arrest.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 11:58:07 AM »

Did the Beach Boys get paid for renting out their PA? 
(Isle of Wight used the Who's PA...must of been a common thing)

thank you
Jay
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »

Stephen, do you recall people at the festival asking or talking about The Beach Boys' non-appearance?

I would tend to assume that since you were (I'm guessing?) the closest Beach Boys associate/employee working the festival, that some behind-the-scenes people there might have expressed surprise and/or sadness at the band having dropped off the bill.

yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 02:07:46 PM »

Stephen, a clarification please.  You mention 16 track recorders - wasn't 8 track still fairly new in 67 (EMI still only had 4 track for the Beatles!), and 16 track didn't come in until 68-69?  Or am I misunderstanding (or just misinformed)?
COMMENT to Bicyclerider: The first Ampex 16-tracks were in use by New York studios in '67. Wally always had SOTA equipment. If it could be had, he would have had it. His sound truck was quite the ticket, but I did not go into the truck. However, I know they took more than eight mic lines, which is why I suspected in my recolection that he was using the latest machines  including Ampex 16-tks. ~swd

I mixed the Hendrix set from Monterey many years ago and can confirm that it was recorded on 1" 8 track as were all the Heider remote stuff from that period. Not sure offhand when 16 track became available but think  it was a few years later .
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 02:36:46 PM »

Desper, Do you Remember part of the setlist intended?

COMMENT to Beach Boys Collection: 

For the complete set list I refer you to this link >>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_Pop_Festival_(set_list)

For information on bands that accepted and performed AND for bands that were invited but declined or no-shows, I refer you to this link >>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_Pop_Festival

~swd
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 02:50:27 PM »

For information on bands that accepted and performed AND for bands that were invited but declined or no-shows, I refer you to this link >>>

~swd

Stephen- I think he meant the full setlist the BB had planned to play had they played the show.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 02:51:25 PM »

Stephen, a clarification please.  You mention 16 track recorders - wasn't 8 track still fairly new in 67 (EMI still only had 4 track for the Beatles!), and 16 track didn't come in until 68-69?  Or am I misunderstanding (or just misinformed)?

COMMENT to Bicyclerider:   In doing further research, looks like I'm the one who is mis-informed.  Hyder is documented as recording the show using a couple of 8-track machines. One track was used for camera sync, so seven tracks for audio. That means he took the 16 mic lines (it could have been up to twenty, but I don't remember using the full compliment) and pre-mixed some inputs. For example, combining the kick with the snare or cymbals is a good combo since you can boost or cut each drum or cymbals using EQ without effecting the other -- thus maintaining control.  Perhaps he combined some rhythm guitars to one track -- and frankly, most groups use 3 guitar mics, maybe a keyboard, two BG vocals, one lead, bass, four mics for drums. Combine some of the drums and some of the rhythm guitars or BG's and you've still got control in a new mix from the seven audio channels.

At any rate, you caught my error and I stand corrected.
~swd

P.S.  I see Mark Linett is monitoring this thread, so maybe engineer Mark can shed some light as to how the tracks were combined.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:01:26 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »

~swd

Stephen- I think he meant the full setlist the BB had planned to play had they played the show.

COMMENT to Beach Boy Collection:  Such a list was probably never made. The BB play lists were last minute creations, depending on how much time is available on stage, the mood and temper of the audience and what the guys felt like performing. With so many, many hits and popular songs to choose from, making a playlist was usually done right before showtime.  ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 03:05:01 PM »

Did the Beach Boys get paid for renting out their PA? 
(Isle of Wight used the Who's PA...must of been a common thing)

thank you
Jay

COMMENT to Cube_Monkey:  I do not know, but Nick Grillo was manager then and knowing him, I would say yes.  All I know is that I got paid. ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2017, 03:09:36 PM »

Stephen, do you recall people at the festival asking or talking about The Beach Boys' non-appearance?

I would tend to assume that since you were (I'm guessing?) the closest Beach Boys associate/employee working the festival, that some behind-the-scenes people there might have expressed surprise and/or sadness at the band having dropped off the bill.
COMMENT to CenturyDeprived:  Not many people asked. Less than you would think. With so many other name groups on stage, the loss of Surfing music was little felt.  ~swd
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2017, 03:34:48 PM »

Damn  Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RP50
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 06:59:28 AM »

It's been said that another reason for their pull-out was that Brian was afraid the group would be laughed at, with their striped shirts and clean-cut image. Any truth to that, Stephen?

COMMENT to c-man:  Yes.
Judging from the 'Lei'd In Hawaii' tapes, he was right. Although, I've always thought that if they'd played a set like they did  on the organ dominated,  in-studio  supposed 'rehearsals' for that gig, they would have come off well.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »

It's been said that another reason for their pull-out was that Brian was afraid the group would be laughed at, with their striped shirts and clean-cut image. Any truth to that, Stephen?

COMMENT to c-man:  Yes.
Judging from the 'Lei'd In Hawaii' tapes, he was right. Although, I've always thought that if they'd played a set like they did  on the organ dominated,  in-studio  supposed 'rehearsals' for that gig, they would have come off well.

COMMENT to RP50:
Brian's paranoid reaction is a reflection of his drug indulgence and unfamiliarity with concert audiences.  I agree with your observation in that the performance they would have brought to the stage would have resulted in a toe-tapping reaction with dancing-in-place. Their songs have survived several generations, and the generation attending the Monterey Pop festal was no exception. Thinking that they would have been rejected is like thinking that an appearance by Frank Sinatra would flop.  Believe me, the audience was there to be entertained. If there's one thing the guys know how to do, it's entertainment. If they would have shown up, their set would have been one of the highlights of the evening.
~swd
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:38:23 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 04:12:21 PM »

Hell, even if they had just played "Little Deuce Coupe" ten times in a row, just being there would've helped the group surivive the late '60s to a much wider degree than they did IMO. If they had in fact played at the Monterey Pop Festival, does that mean that albums such as Friends and Sunflower would have topped the US charts instead of stalling under 100? Not exactly, but I still think playing at one of the most important counterculture events of the '60s would have helped to some degree!  Razz

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2017, 05:21:33 PM »

Hell, even if they had just played "Little Deuce Coupe" ten times in a row, just being there would've helped the group surivive the late '60s to a much wider degree than they did IMO. If they had in fact played at the Monterey Pop Festival, does that mean that albums such as Friends and Sunflower would have topped the US charts instead of stalling under 100? Not exactly, but I still think playing at one of the most important counterculture events of the '60s would have helped to some degree!  Razz

Agreed. They would've been more a part of the conversation in the counter culture thanks to Monterey, and thus they would've been seen as being slightly more relevant than they turned out to be post 67. What these guys have proved to this day is that people will never tire of hearing these songs in a live setting...and I really think that people would've dug them at Monterey; striped shirts and all.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2017, 07:30:52 PM »

For all the uses of the phrase "red herring", it strikes me that the whole image issue with the striped shirts could have been eliminated by them simply not wearing the striped shirts. Or any uniform for that matter. Situation avoided. The band takes the stage in their own clothing like most of the other groups who played Monterey. Let the music stand on it's own. Was anyone forcing them to wear matching striped shirts? Of course not.

Taken in that context, the striped shirt issue becomes a non-issue if they simply don't wear them.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2017, 08:43:05 PM »

For all the uses of the phrase "red herring", it strikes me that the whole image issue with the striped shirts could have been eliminated by them simply not wearing the striped shirts. Or any uniform for that matter. Situation avoided. The band takes the stage in their own clothing like most of the other groups who played Monterey. Let the music stand on it's own. Was anyone forcing them to wear matching striped shirts? Of course not.

Taken in that context, the striped shirt issue becomes a non-issue if they simply don't wear them.

COMMENT to Guitarfool2002:  If my memory is still good, I believe the group was into crushed white velvet suits around this time. Perhaps Brian thought they were still wearing the old shirts, since he was not on the road at that time.  Although Brian was on the advisory board of the Festival I cannot emphasize enough the influence on judgement that drugs played in Brian's outlook.  I never heard anyone discussing a clothing problem. It was Carl and the feds, Brian's erratic studio behavior, and Michael's diet arrogance that seemed to be the excuse. Whatever the excuse it was a bad call . . . one that is still regretted today.     ~swd
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2017, 09:05:58 PM »

All the worst possible things happened at the worst possible (and most important) time for the group it seems. Kicking off their next big tour in '68 (one that could have possibly helped the group recover from the Monterey dropout) with the Maharishi opening probably wasn't the best decision either (financially, commercially, AND critically speaking)...

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2017, 12:48:10 AM »

From a personal POV I find it most frustrating that The Association are vastly overlooked when talking about this historic event. When they hit the stage as the opening act it's claimed the cameras weren't even ready to film their first song (appropriately "Enter The Young") and they had to partake in some onstage banter before they could start the second number. And then Phillips left them out of the film completely as they 'didn't fit the image'... (two songs later made the bonus footage in the box set).
Do you happen to know if Heider recorded EVERY song that weekend ? Or did you maybe have your own feed linked up subtly underneath the console ?? There must have been so many great performances that have never audibly surfaced as yet...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:53:30 AM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2017, 07:04:07 AM »

From a personal POV I find it most frustrating that The Association are vastly overlooked when talking about this historic event. When they hit the stage as the opening act it's claimed the cameras weren't even ready to film their first song (appropriately "Enter The Young") and they had to partake in some onstage banter before they could start the second number. And then Phillips left them out of the film completely as they 'didn't fit the image'... (two songs later made the bonus footage in the box set).
Do you happen to know if Heider recorded EVERY song that weekend ? Or did you maybe have your own feed linked up subtly underneath the console ?? There must have been so many great performances that have never audibly surfaced as yet...

COMMENT to Malc:  I have no idea what Wally Heider recorded, but I can say that recording three days of music would require a truckload of tape. I would guess that the Festival was probably selectively recorded. And, having a recorder secretly underneath the console would have been highly unethical . . .  so sorry, no tapes.  ~swd
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2017, 08:49:58 AM »

~swd
More support for the 'BBs should have gone even if they just played old hits' viewpoint: According to the setlist, Help Me Rhonda was performed by Johnny Rivers!

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2017, 08:53:53 AM »

To Mr. Desper -

Did you record the Lei'd In Hawaii shows in August of 1967?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2017, 09:02:17 AM »

In Hawaii Jim Lockert engineered, Bill Halverson and Dale Manquen assisted.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2017, 10:30:42 AM »

BW is rocking the prototype of his 2017 Hawaii look! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2017, 12:03:57 PM »

To Mr. Desper -

Did you record the Lei'd In Hawaii shows in August of 1967?

COMMENT to Steve Latshaw:  No.  ~swd
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx