gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:01:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monterey Pop Festival  (Read 17293 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2017, 06:47:36 AM »

COMMENT:

As most of you know, I was the chief Engineer and Mixer for the 1967 three day event called "The Monterey Pop Festival."  According to my calculations, at around 11 PM last night (taking into account time shifts between California and Florida), fifty years ago I was on stage with either The Who, The Grateful Dead, or Jimmy Hendrix, asking what they wanted to hear on the stage monitors, before going back to the board to mix their set.

The middle of July (next month) I have been ask to join Professor Mike Conner to give a lecture on that event at Full Sail University. Professor Conner, who teaches there, will cover the music aspect and I'll speak to the technical challenges and experiences of those days. Full Sail University is located in the Orlando, Florida area. If any of you who live in that area might wish to attend, I think something can be arranged if you contact me using the Smiley Smile personal contact feature (click on my name).

WoW!  Fifty years ago -- seems like last week.  What a difference in sound reinforcement between then and now . . . so I may be older today, but I got to hear all the great bands live!!   

Good Listening,
   ~Stephen W. Desper
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 07:10:06 AM »

You helped pave the way Stephen.  Were you there because it was felt, at least at one point, that the 'Boys' would perform at Monterey?  Or were you going to be there doing your [key] 'thing' anyway?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 08:28:33 AM »

You helped pave the way Stephen.  Were you there because it was felt, at least at one point, that the 'Boys' would perform at Monterey?  Or were you going to be there doing your [key] 'thing' anyway?

COMMENT to Add Some:  The Beach Boys were slated to perform, but pulled out at the last minute due to Carl's pending draft questions, the Smile album was just aborted, Brian was depressed, and Mike did not wish to support the show because (sugar lased) Coke-a-cola was a sponsor. Along with the BB contract was the stipulation that their advanced (for the day) sound system be used as the main source of mixing and amplification, helped by several other sound companies supplying equipment to cover the entire festival field. The group did not show, but their equipment was necessary if the show was to continue. It was my job to setup the sound and mix the acts. That obligation continued and I lucked out, big time. ~swd
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:42:44 AM »

Stephen, that sounds like a great lecture and I wish I could attend! Any chance of it being recorded and/or streamed so people who cannot be there can listen?

Not asking you to give away any topics you'll be discussing in July, but I had a few questions specific to the festival which I'd like to ask.

I've heard Paul Beaver had some kind of demonstration booth or something similar set up to showcase and demonstrate the Moog modular synth, as he was one of the Moog reps for the west coast. What I heard is that Monterey was where Micky Dolenz was introduced to the Moog and eventually bought one of the first three commercially available units sold by Moog through Paul, which he used on the Monkees album "Pisces Aquarius..." and which also featured Paul playing that Moog modular. I remember you wrote about attending Paul's lectures or study groups on music synthesis, but did you already know Paul by the time of the festival? Do you remember seeing him there or anything about Paul's setup for Moog at Monterey or how all that was done at the festival?

In the Maysles brothers documentary, there is a famous but brief clip of Wally Heider going on stage to grab the microphones (rescue them? lol ) as The Who were destroying their instruments. Was any of the Beach Boys' equipment damaged in that melee, and what was the mood among the engineers and sound crew as The Who were trashing the stage? I've always wondered if the crew had advance knowledge that The Who was going to do their destruction routine, if precautions were taken in advance, and how Wally's mood was after having to save that gear from being trashed.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »

COMMENT TO GUITARFOOL2002
Stephen, that sounds like a great lecture and I wish I could attend! Any chance of it being recorded and/or streamed so people who cannot be there can listen?
Haven't thought about it, but will look into the matter. The lecture would, I suppose, be owned by or under the control of the university . . . but will see about your request.

Not asking you to give away any topics you'll be discussing in July, but I had a few questions specific to the festival which I'd like to ask.

I've heard Paul Beaver had some kind of demonstration booth or something similar set up to showcase and demonstrate the Moog modular synth, as he was one (He was the ONLY one) of the Moog reps for the west coast. What I heard is that Monterey was where Micky Dolenz was introduced to the Moog and eventually bought one of the first three commercially available units sold by Moog through Paul, which he used on the Monkees album "Pisces Aquarius..." and which also featured Paul playing that Moog modular. I remember you wrote about attending Paul's lectures or study groups on music synthesis, but did you already know Paul by the time of the festival?

I knew Paul early on, he was a good friend and my synthesizer mentor. The festival covered the Monterey County Fair grounds and had in attendance from 50,000 to 100.000 people. His booth was out there somewhere. He told me he would be there, but I was too busy at the stage to go find him. Do you remember seeing him there or anything about Paul's setup for Moog at Monterey or how all that was done at the festival?
No.

In the Maysles brothers documentary, there is a famous but brief clip of Wally Heider going on stage to grab the microphones (rescue them? lol ) as The Who were destroying their instruments. Was any of the Beach Boys' equipment damaged in that melee, and what was the mood among the engineers and sound crew as The Who were trashing the stage?
No advance warning or word of the pending... I didn't think they would given the venue, but not a good guess.  I've always wondered if the crew had advance knowledge that The Who was going to do their destruction routine, if precautions were taken in advance, and how Wally's mood was after having to save that gear from being trashed?
Of course Wally and I knew each other through session work with the guys.
As we were setting up the day before opening, the Wally Hider sound truck showed up and parked behind stage. They were contracted to record the show for later mixing to film. The way this works is that all the microphone feeds from the stage go into a "splitter box" , usually using transformers for complete isolation of one split to the other. No common ground to make a hum. So the crew ran 16 mic lines back to their sound truck where two 16 track recorders would record each microphone pickup. The 16 raw tracks would later be mixed into stereo and 5.1. Two machines used to lip-frog each other for a continuous recording -- none stop. The other split whet to my console and the sound reinforcement system. PA and recording did not have any effect on the other. A file crew had the rights to film the show using a new camera technique that freed the camera of sync lines to sound recorders. Thus, several cameras were filming the show and others were out and about at the festival, but all were in sync to the stage sound. You can buy the DVD now. So I'm mixing and about twenty feet from the stage with crowds of people between me and the stage antics. -- the last night was so jammed that the seats were folded up and removed so that it was all "standing room only." -- There was no way I could "rescue my stuff, and it was all Beach Boy equipment, not Hyder's. But I could see what was going on. Using the festival telephone system (no cells then) I got hold of Wally who was minding recorders in the Truck. I ask him if he could get to the stage since he was parked at stage back. He could and rushed on stage to grab the obvious.

Hope that answers everything.

~swd

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »

Hi Stephen,

Thanks so much for all of the recollections.

By any chance do you recall a band called Teddy and His Patches (from the San Jose area) performing at some sort of second stage portion of Monterey Pop? My coworker's dad was a member of that band (they had one minor hit that's now on the Rhino Nuggets box, called "Suzy Creamcheese"), and he has a vague memory of performing in some capacity connected to the Monterey Pop show, but it was definitely not any sort of main stage event.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 12:07:35 PM »

Hi Stephen,

Thanks so much for all of the recollections.

By any chance do you recall a band called Teddy and His Patches (from the San Jose area) performing at some sort of second stage portion of Monterey Pop? My coworker's dad was a member of that band (they had one minor hit that's now on the Rhino Nuggets box, called "Suzy Creamcheese"), and he has a vague memory of performing in some capacity connected to the Monterey Pop show, but it was definitely not any sort of main stage event.
COMMENT to CenturyDeprived:  I was at the Main Stage only. As I said, it was a big event calling in the services of several sound companies, some adding to the Main Stage coverage and some at secondary stages further away from the Main Stage. ~swd
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 12:43:10 PM »

Thank you Stephen, yes it answers and clarifies things! It also makes me hope even more that your lecture will somehow be made available for people to access and hear who can't be there in person.

I think it will be very educational for people to hear firsthand how all of this happened. For one, I think due to Wally's appearance in the film and some candid photos of his crew at the festival, there may be an assumption that Wally and his team were doing all the sound. But you clarified above how it really happened and how you were mixing as Wally was recording the feeds, and I'm sure your lecture will shed even more light on the ins and outs of mixing that show.

I was always curious if Paul Beaver had a setup somewhere backstage where only the musicians were, or if he had a booth or something set up on the festival grounds, and wondering if he had a prototype of the modular synth there to demo, how all that could work, etc. Obviously you had your hands full, and I can't imagine Paul having to deal with all the attendees if he did have a demo booth running in the public area with that kind of instrument. Whatever he did he made a sale that day, and both he and the Moog he sold ended up on a top-5 album that fall!

Coca-Cola's slogan and jingle in '67 was "things go better with Coca-Cola, things go better with Coke!". Seems like Coca-Cola didn't go too well with Mike, though... Grin

Thanks again for the info!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 01:23:15 PM »

Wow, Mike's stance against sugar consumption was very progressive, way ahead of the times.  He was a food nazi before food nazi's were cool...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 01:36:19 PM »

Nah, just short sighted as usual on the popular culture scene.....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 04:09:31 PM »

Wow, Mike's stance against sugar consumption was very progressive, way ahead of the times.  He was a food nazi before food nazi's were cool...

But then, under Mike's direction, the band did a tie-in with Sunkist in the 1980s...

I tend to think that the Coca-Cola thing was just an excuse, and not any kind of real reason.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 05:03:45 PM »

But then, under Mike's direction, the band did a tie-in with Sunkist in the 1980s...

I tend to think that the Coca-Cola thing was just an excuse, and not any kind of real reason.

COMMENT to CenturyDeprived:  It was one of several reasons. At the time Mike was very much into health food eating, macrobiotics, and a low-carb diet. It was easy for him to charm-in with this excuse because he believed in it.  Opting out of Monterey was a bad decision the group made around this time.  It hurt their popularity and brought down their celebrity.  ~swd
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 05:37:22 PM »

Thank you so much, Stephen, for this interesting historical info. (Since I was around back then as well, but unfortunately not at the festival, I too have a hard time believing it's been fifty years.)

I would like to echo GF's comment that it would be great if your lecture with Professor Mike Conner at Full Sail University could be recorded or streamed for those of us who cannot be there. Plus recording the lecture would make it an important addition to the historical record.

I have a question about which Beach Boys were slated to appear at Monterey. Since the concert was to be recorded, was Brian planing to perform, as he did a couple of months later in Honolulu? If so, would Bruce have been there as well? Or would it have been the regular touring Beach Boys sans Brian and with Bruce?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 05:40:09 PM »

An online viewing of th lecture would be most interesting.... Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 05:51:13 PM »

COMMENT to CenturyDeprived:  It was one of several reasons. At the time Mike was very much into health food eating, macrobiotics, and a low-carb diet. It was easy for him to charm-in with this excuse because he believed in it.  Opting out of Monterey was a bad decision the group made around this time.  It hurt their popularity and brought down their celebrity.  ~swd

So, was it in fact was it the lovester's decision alone that kept them out of the festival? And could it be that he didn't want to be associated with the ones who did perform?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 06:19:33 PM »

It's been said that another reason for their pull-out was that Brian was afraid the group would be laughed at, with their striped shirts and clean-cut image. Any truth to that, Stephen?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 07:48:59 PM »

Does anyone remember WHO sang lead on this one... ... ...

Ooo wah
Ooo wah

Everytime I have a date there's only one place to go
That's to the drive in
It's such a groovy place to talk and maybe watch a show
Down at the drive in

Forget about the plot, it'll do very well
But make sure you see enough so you're prepared to tell
About the drive in
(Ooo wah)
I love the drive in
(We love the drive in, we love the drive in)

If the windows get fogged you'll have to take a breath
(Oooooooo waah oooo)
Down at the drive in
(Wah wah ooooooo)
Or the cat dressed in white will scare you both to death
Down at the drive in

A big buttered popcorn and an extra large coke
A few chili dogs and man I'm goin' broke
Down at the drive in
(Ooo wah)
Yeah at the drive in

Don't sneak your buddies in the trunk 'cause they might get caught
By the drive in
(Wah wah wah ooooooo)
And they'd look kinda stupid gettin' chased through the lot
(Wah ooooooo)
Around the drive in

If you say you watch the movie you're a couple o' liars
And "Remember only you can prevent forest fires"
Down at the drive in
(Ooo wah)
I love the drive in
Down at the drive in
(Ooo wah)
I love the drive in
Down at the drive in
(Ooo wah)
I don't love the drive in
(I used to love the drive in, I used to love the drive in 'til I figured out that Coke makes your hair fall out ooo wah-ooo wah)

Would the refusal to play Monterey due to Coke's involvement not then be construed as effin' with the formula which that same lead singer espoused just 3 years prior?  Sorry Stephen.  It almost laughable...'ceptin' of course for the hypocrisy.  Another one of those "What a SHAME!!!" moments.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 07:52:33 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 09:19:06 PM »

Stephen, a clarification please.  You mention 16 track recorders - wasn't 8 track still fairly new in 67 (EMI still only had 4 track for the Beatles!), and 16 track didn't come in until 68-69?  Or am I misunderstanding (or just misinformed)?
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 09:27:02 PM »

Thank you so much, Stephen, for this interesting historical info. (Since I was around back then as well, but unfortunately not at the festival, I too have a hard time believing it's been fifty years.)

I would like to echo GF's comment that it would be great if your lecture with Professor Mike Conner at Full Sail University could be recorded or streamed for those of us who cannot be there. Plus recording the lecture would make it an important addition to the historical record.

I have a question about which Beach Boys were slated to appear at Monterey. Since the concert was to be recorded, was Brian planing to perform, as he did a couple of months later in Honolulu? If so, would Bruce have been there as well? Or would it have been the regular touring Beach Boys sans Brian and with Bruce?

COMMENT to Custom Machine:  Brian was on the Monterey Board of Advisers and was thought would be involved.  The entire band would have performed. ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 09:36:18 PM »

COMMENT to The LEGENDARY QSD

So, was it in fact was it the lovester's decision alone that kept them out of the festival? And could it be that he didn't want to be associated with the ones who did perform?
COMMENT to The Legendary QSD:  Donovan, The Beatles, and others declined invitations also. Drugs, Complexity of Music, and the Draft kept some of the majors away. Mike associated with musicians of all types. I don't think that was a factor. ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 09:39:04 PM »

It's been said that another reason for their pull-out was that Brian was afraid the group would be laughed at, with their striped shirts and clean-cut image. Any truth to that, Stephen?
COMMENT to c-man:  Yes.  ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 09:57:35 PM »

Stephen, a clarification please.  You mention 16 track recorders - wasn't 8 track still fairly new in 67 (EMI still only had 4 track for the Beatles!), and 16 track didn't come in until 68-69?  Or am I misunderstanding (or just misinformed)?
COMMENT to Bicyclerider: The first Ampex 16-tracks were in use by New York studios in '67. Wally always had SOTA equipment. If it could be had, he would have had it. His sound truck was quite the ticket, but I did not go into the truck. However, I know they took more than eight mic lines, which is why I suspected in my recolection that he was using the latest machines  including Ampex 16-tks. ~swd
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 10:55:06 PM »

Another interesting thing to me is that hasn't it been said by Bruce (and/or maybe Brian...or Al, I can't remember) that "Cool, Cool Water" was at some point considered for a Coca-Cola advertisement or commercial. Something like "it's the real thing, Coca-Cola" to the tune of "Cool, Cool Water" I guess. But regardless interesting that these two things probably occurred sometime near each other.

Not that any of this is surprising though. The Beach Boys are nearly always kinda confounding.
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 04:54:42 AM »

Desper, Do you Remember part of the setlist intended?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 06:51:25 AM »

COMMENT to The LEGENDARY QSD

COMMENT to The Legendary QSD:  Donovan, The Beatles, and others declined invitations also. Drugs, Complexity of Music, and the Draft kept some of the majors away. Mike associated with musicians of all types. I don't think that was a factor. ~swd

Thanks for that info, Stephen. I was unaware that other big names had declined.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx