gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:20:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new Pet Sounds ZOO "stealth" t-shirt design  (Read 6985 times)
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2017, 09:13:24 AM »

Ok, I've always been into 'stealth' shirts, when it's not clear it's a band shirt, but the fans will get it.  Ok, so this one is very very very stealthy, what do you guys think?

Here it is as a poster...

I'm going for a 60s style in the design of the animals, as if this were a real shirt made in the 60s.

I tried to be authentic to the animals that were actually at San Diego Zoo back when the Pet Sounds photos were shot, and only included animals I saw in the actual photos with the BBs: giraffe, elephant, camel, turtle, and of course, goat.  I know what you're thinking, there are no photos of the BBs with a turtle!  True, but this photo lets me know there were probably tortoises right off to the side...

So there are five animals, and if one is so inclined, one could match a Beach Boy to each animal.  Actually, I put a little birdie in there, so there could be six, and Bruce could be included, since he was there.  Grin

So what you guys think, is this TOO stealthy?  Would it be better if I just put the logo up in there like this? (I know, there wasn't really a 'world tour', just Japan, and they didn't really "tour" Pet Sounds specifically, just a regular tour, but this is make believe!)

Or a stealthier version of the logo like this? (see bottom right)

Anyhoo, thanks for reading, and here's a link to the Society 6 store for anyone who likes this as-is!  :D

https://society6.com/dellydel/prints?show=new

Scaroline No
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »

I love stealth band shirts too, and in fact, I have one of your Radiant Radish shirts and wore it recently to see Brian and co. play Pet Sounds -- got LOTS of compliments on it by the way, and it even got me interviewed by a local concert reviewer Smiley I pointed everyone who asked about it in your shop's direction.

As much as I like the design of this one as far as the animals, it does seem a bit too stealthy.  What if each of the animals had one of each Beach Boy's haircut, or an item of clothing, or some other feature that would hint at it just a touch more? My ideas are probably really lame, I'm sure there is a better way, LOL. I don't want to wreck your design, I do think it's rad!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:28:04 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 10:00:08 AM »

I love stealth band shirts too, and in fact, I have one of your Radiant Radish shirts and wore it recently to see Brian and co. play Pet Sounds -- got LOTS of compliments on it by the way, and it even got me interviewed by a local concert reviewer Smiley I pointed everyone who asked about it in your shop's direction.

As much as I like the design of this one as far as the animals, it does seem a bit too stealthy.  What if each of the animals had one of each Beach Boy's haircut, or an item of clothing, or some other feature that would hint at it just a touch more? My ideas are probably really lame, I'm sure there is a better way, LOL. I don't want to wreck your design, I do think it's rad!

OMG, you must be responsible for my recent increase in sales!!!  Grin Grin  Did you explain the history of the Radiant Radish to the interviewer? 

And hey, thanks!!!  Smiley  That's not a lame idea, I did think of connecting each animal more specifically to a BB, or at least putting Mike's hat on one of them and see where it went from there.  But it's so hard to really pin each of the guys down as a specific animal without it being a reach, or some sort of insulting.  Is Mike the giraffe because he's tall and yellow?  Or is Mike the goat because he's hard-headed?  Is Dennis the camel because he looks the most stoned?  Is Brian the elephant, because he's a big guy, or is Brian the tortoise because Brian is sort of turtle-like?  Or because he never forgets?  Or is Brian the goat because he seems to connect most with the goat in the photos?  Is Al the bird because he's the shortest?  Is Bruce the bird because he's the least essential member?  Ok I way overthought that, heh.

Scaroline No
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 03:48:05 PM »

OMG, you must be responsible for my recent increase in sales!!!  Grin Grin  Did you explain the history of the Radiant Radish to the interviewer?  

And hey, thanks!!!  Smiley  That's not a lame idea, I did think of connecting each animal more specifically to a BB, or at least putting Mike's hat on one of them and see where it went from there.  But it's so hard to really pin each of the guys down as a specific animal without it being a reach, or some sort of insulting.  Is Mike the giraffe because he's tall and yellow?  Or is Mike the goat because he's hard-headed?  Is Dennis the camel because he looks the most stoned?  Is Brian the elephant, because he's a big guy, or is Brian the tortoise because Brian is sort of turtle-like?  Or because he never forgets?  Or is Brian the goat because he seems to connect most with the goat in the photos?  Is Al the bird because he's the shortest?  Is Bruce the bird because he's the least essential member?  Ok I way overthought that, heh.

Happy to hear of your increased sales! I'm sure I'm not solely responsible for that, the quality of your work speaks for itself Smiley but I'm happy to keep directing traffic your way Smiley

I did explain the Radiant Radish history to the interviewer! Well, she already knew about it, which is why she approached me... but she asked me to explain my t-shirt for a quote for her article. I should check and see if she ever posted that...

You could really make the case that any one of those creatures matches a personality or physical trait of each BB member, so... the other approach you could take is make an opposite-connection between the animals and each BB, like make Al the Giraffe for instance, LOL. I don't even know how that would work but at least it wouldn't seem like you were "typing" them based on body shapes, haha.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:48:58 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 04:42:52 PM »

Can anybody explain what's "stealth (band) T-shirt"?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Scaroline No
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 05:14:07 PM »

Can anybody explain what's "stealth (band) T-shirt"?

A shirt with a band reference that's maybe a bit obscure, that only other serious fans would get. It's stealthy because you can walk around town wearing a shirt like that and know what it means, but the general public just thinks it's a cool looking shirt. Meanwhile, you're all like "muahahahahaha! I'm in a secret elite class of people who will understand and appreciate this and we will nod and click our tongues and point at each other knowingly while walking past each other", or something, LOL.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 06:46:14 PM »

I had a Triumph motorcycles shirt for a while and only one other person ever mentioned the Bob Dylan/Highway 61 connection when I wore it, so that was neat.

If you ever want to make a "non-stealth" shirt, a version of the Pet Sounds cover done in a cartoony 60's Hanna Barbera style would be neat.  The lack of any good Pet Sounds shirts out there is depressing
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 06:12:02 AM »

I had a Triumph motorcycles shirt for a while and only one other person ever mentioned the Bob Dylan/Highway 61 connection when I wore it, so that was neat.

If you ever want to make a "non-stealth" shirt, a version of the Pet Sounds cover done in a cartoony 60's Hanna Barbera style would be neat.  The lack of any good Pet Sounds shirts out there is depressing

Hey, that's actually a fantastic idea!  I've thought of drawing the band in a 60s style, but for some reason never thought of Hanna Barbera style, that's perfect!  I shall draw that!  Someday...  Grin
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 06:18:09 AM »

PS... everything at the Society6 store is 20% off plus free shipping until midnight tonight!  (July 4th)

https://society6.com/dellydel/prints
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 06:16:10 PM »

It is a great concept.  But I think it is too stealthy, I wouldn't associate it with Pet Sounds  if I didn't see it on this board.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx