gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:05:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This day in BB history June 7-16  (Read 2499 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »

Around June 8 or 9 1962 the BBs played a show at the Wagon Wheels Junction Roller Gardens in Oxnard, CA.  Capitol had just released “Surfin’ Safari”. As Jim Murphy uncovered in his book, in a July 9 1962 letter Nick Venet told Murry that the group "are doing a very good job at the Record Hops." Hence there were probably more apps in May-June that we don't know about.   Jun 7 1963-The BBs played the Hawthorne HS Senior Breakfast and then headed to Bakersfield to play a number of coordinated graduation events at various venues. Dave Marks recalled the BBs backing Sam Cooke at one of these, but I think his memory played a trick on him and it was another time, as I can’t find any evidence Cooke was in Bakersfield that week. June 8 1963-The BBs played a show in Palmdale, CA with Jan and Dean. June 12 1963-The BBs worked on Surfer Girl and Little Deuce Coupe at Western.  The Marks’ diary has them playing in Houston, TX that day, possibly at a Cinnamon Cinder Club.  But this seems pretty complicated.  I wonder if the date was recorded wrong in the diary (there are a few date errors in the diary).  Unfortunately the gig wasn’t advertised in newspapers. 

If they were in Texas then they flew right back so they could head to Hawaii for two weeks.  They began a three-day residency at the Civic Auditorium in Honolulu on June 14 with Dee-Dee Sharp, the Treniers and Jackie De Shannon.  The tour then played a number of military bases, starting with the Schofield Barracks on June 16.  Home movies were filmed and appear in documentaries about the BBs.  In the American Band documentary, silent color footage of the BBs onstage in Hawaii plays with “Surfin” dubbed over it.  There are also scenes of the BBs on the beach in Hawaii-though the footage of Brian paddling around is from a totally different home movie. Al replaced Brian on this tour, as he did on many dates at this time. Brian was in the studio on the day the tour started recording the first version of Back Home and the track for the Sharon Marie “Run Around Lover.”

June 7 1964-Brian attended the wedding of Lou Adler and Shelly Fabares.  The next day he and the BBs worked on the early version of “She Knows Me Too Well” June 12 1964 the BBs again played the Hawthorne HS Senior Breakfast and then hightailed it to Salt Lake City to play two nights at the Lagoon in Farmington.  They were back by June 16 because they had to rush into Sunset Sound and add their vocals to “The Monkey’s Uncle” so that they could mime to it the next day when they filmed their scenes with Annette for the opening credit sequence.

June 7 1965 the Brian produced Glen Campbell single “Guess I’m Dumb” was released but tragically went nowhere.  One of Brian’s best non-BB productions in my opinion. June 7 1966 the BBs played the Memorial Coliseum in Greenville, SC. The next day they were at the Civic Coliseum in Knoxville.  On June 10 1966 they were in the Bronx to play “Sound Blast 66” at Yankee Stadium with Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, the Byrds and the Marvelettes.  Fantastic bill but still had low attendance!  The BBs completed the tour with a show at the New Haven Arena on June 11, 1966.  The next day Brian was in the studio to continue work on Good Vibrations and Carl joined him for the tracking session on June 16.

June 7 1967 the BBs were at Western to work on the Smiley Smile version of Vegetables and With Me Tonight.  Brian also worked on what became Cool, Cool Water.   June 10 1967- The BBs taped an interview by phone for Radio London from Brian’s house.  The Smiley sessions now moved there-and on June 11 they worked on the Kingston Trio tune Good News.  The next three days were devoted to the new Smiley version of Heroes and Villains and on June 15 they returned to Vegetables.  I assume they found time for conversations about the June 17 1967 Monterey Pop appearance.  Not sure when they made the call that they weren’t appearing.  A momentous decision-but they probably didn’t realize it at the time.

June 7 1968-Dennis worked on one of his early tunes and on June 8 they started work on the unreleased Sail Plane Song.  They were a bit unfocused at this time and spent June 10 1968 on Brian’s obsession “Old Man River.”  On June 12 1968-they returned to Do It Again for overdubs.  They then headed to Salt Lake City to play two shows at the Lagoon on June 15 1968. The next day the BBs drove around Salt Lake with photographer Cyril Maitland and took the famous photos at an abandoned pier that are frequently reprinted (Dennis with beard, Mike with handlebar mustache, Al with Mexico shirt, etc.)

Possibly in Salt Lake (despite what Badman wrote there is no evidence that they filmed in Mexico) the BBs filmed the promotional film for “Friends” that shows them running around in a park with children. The BBs are wearing similar outfits to ones that they are wearing in photos taken in Salt Lake City on June 16.  In addition, Mike sports the “1890’s” handlebar moustache look he soon abandoned, while Dennis is sporting the beard he briefly acquired.  Brian doesn’t appear in the film.

Jun 7 1969-the BBs played in Liverpool on their tour with Paul Revere and the Raiders and “Brother Records” artist Joe Hicks. The BBs made their famous appearance at the King Edward Nurses Home in Leeds filmed by Top of the Pops on June 8 before evening shows in Manchester.  The tour played in Glasgow on June 9 1969.  They then spent some time relaxing-Carl was working on getting visas for the Flame to come back to the States with him. By June 13 the BBs were in Frankfurt Germany and then played in Berlin on June 14.  On Jun 16 1969 they filmed a TV app in Paris for the Midi Premiere Show-Miming to Breakaway. That night they played at the Olympia Theater, Paris-This show was taped and filmed for Musicorama and is up on Youtube.  A great show! This by the way was the day the “Breakaway” single was released in the States.

June 7 1970-the BBs apparently played at the Crater Festival in Diamond Head Crater, Hawaii with Steve Miller Band, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Linda Ronstadt and Lambert and Honeycombe. This was one of only two BB concerts played that summer.  The other summer show took place on June 14 1970. The BBs headlined the Milwaukee Pop Fest with John Phillips, the Jaggerz, Ides of March, Frijid Park, Frankie Avalon, Andy Kim, Edison Lighthouse, the Ventures, the Lettermen, Jack Blanchard and Misty Morgan, Tommy Roe and The Supremes (without Diana Ross).  A photo from this concert graced the cover of the 1971 Capitol Records compilation Fun, Fun, Fun/Dance, Dance, Dance. 

Jun 11 1971-Dennis hurt his hand and didn’t play drums again regularly until 1974, though he continued to tour with the group. As discussed in my book with Jon, this had major repercussions for Dennis.  His friend Ed Roach told me that he felt pretty uncomfortable onstage at the front (as he now basically just was there to sing and clap and maybe play a little piano) and started really hitting the bottle much more then before-possibly to build up his confidence before shows.  June 7 1972-The BBs appeared on the Dutch TV Show-Eddie Ready Go in the Netherlands-miming You Need A Mess of Help. 

June 8 1974-the BBs played at the Day on the Green in Oakland with the Grateful Dead and Three Man Army.  There is a great Ed Roach photo from this day in my book.  June 10 1974-The BBs worked on Ding Dang and a song called Is This Really Love at Brother Studios. June 13-they played the Civic Center in Providence with Kiki Dee. The next night they were at the Nassau Coliseum and were joined onstage by Elton John and Paul Simon. They played the Yale Bowl on June 15 and at SPAC in Saratoga, NY on June 16 1974.  June 7 1975 the Beachago tour played one last night in Chicago before heading to NYC for shows on June 12 to 15 at the Garden.  Portions of at least one New York show were filmed for a William Reid produced TV special about the Beachago tour.  The show, which was hosted by Tom Curtis, featured footage of the Beach Boys and Chicago in concert, which was filmed at Madison Square Garden and the Capitol Centre in Largo, Maryland.  Not sure when or if this aired but it is or was on Youtube.

Early June 1976 all the BBs attended a big party in San Francisco to celebrate 15 Big Ones with Brian. They held a press conference and attended a Twyla Tharp ballet set to their music at the War Memorial Opera House. June 8 1978-Dennis was starting to lose his way but still recorded material for Bambu occasionally. He worked on Companion that day and recorded his vocal for Under the Moonlight on June 12 1978. On June 16 1978 he joined the BBs to perform at the Civic Center in Providence, RI.

From June 4 to 10 1979 the BBs were playing at the Universal Amphitheater in Los Angeles.  Things got very ugly on June 8 and Dennis attacked Mike onstage.  He basically left the group for a year (with two brief reappearances in the interregnum) to “get straight”.  Unfortunately he didn’t.  June 15 1979-It’s A Beautiful Day was recorded at Mike’s studio on wheels-Love Songs Mobile. He worked on “Dance, Dance, Dance” the next day.  June 7 1980 the BBs played the second of two nights at Wembley in London on the “Knebworth Tour”. Thet played the Palais Des Sports in Paris on June 8 and The Hague on June 9.  Not sure if they went home or stayed in Europe but they didn’t play again till Knebworth on June 21.

June 7 1981 the BBs completed a residency at Westbury Music Fair sans Carl.  The middle Wilson spent the summer opening for the Doobie Brothers instead, beginning with a show on June 16 at Salt Lake City.  He was back in the lineup by the following June.  However, Dennis and Brian were now gone! The BBs played in Hampton, VA with Le Roux on June 8 1982 and at the Civic Center in Charleston, WV on June 9. They also played in Toledo, OH (10) and in Cleveland on June 11. Portions of this show were recorded for a possible live album.  A live version of “Runaway” was released. A show in Evansville on June 12 was postponed but they played in Chicago that night and in Jackson, MS on June 15 1982. They were at Six Flags in Missouri on June 16.

The following June the BBs played dates with Firefall in Salina, KS (7), Kansas City (Cool, Cedar Rapids (9) Charlotte, NC (10) and Cummings, GA (11). They played RFK Stadium in Washington DC on June 12. This was after they’d been banned by James Watt from playing there on July 4 and during the concert-Mike said “thanks very much for all you undesirable elements coming to the show today” Later they all went to the White House-as seen in American Band and performed at Vice President George Bush’s 59 birthday party.  They were in Philadelphia on June 14 but during the day Mike met again with Nancy Reagan at the White House.  Maybe he had a lot to talk with her about because he missed the shows in Binghamton, NY on June 15 and in Erie, PA on June 16.  Carl’s second LP had been released in the spring and he promoted it as best he could. That June an episode of the Solid Gold TV Show aired-with Carl singing “What You Do To Me” However, I think the single had already come and gone by that time.

The following June 1984 again saw the BBs on the road, though now without Dennis of course.  June 10 1985 saw the release of The Beach Boys album produced by Steve Levine. June 1986 witnessed a very profitable Sunkist sponsored tour.  On June 9 1986 the single “Rock and Roll to the Rescue” was released, along with an accompanying video filmed in May. Brian sang lead on the track but skipped the tour completely.  He was working with Gary Usher in the studio and recorded “I’m Broke” on June 13 and 14.  Most of the Sire LP was recorded without Usher the following year. Brian was recording at the Hit Factory in NY from June 8 to 21 1987 including Love and Mercy, Walking the Line and One for the Boys.  The BBs again were on the road that year mostly without him.  They always had big summer tours-the 1989 tour coincided with their extremely cheesy summer TV series Endless Summer.  Best part about that show was the campfire segments with Brian.  Unfortunately all the extra footage taped of that was apparently destroyed.

June 9 1991 Brian appeared with Don Was at a Pediatric Aids Benefit show.  The BBs embarked on another European tour on June 15 at Bournemouth. They played Brighton the next day.  June 7 1992-The BBs attended the Earth Summit in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil and announced that they were teaming up with Earth Kind an environmental group.  David Beard covered this in the latest ESQ. They were touring at that time with America but took a break on June 15 1992- to film the video for “Hot Fun in Summertime” in Orlando.  Think I’ll stop at that wonderful moment.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 03:36:25 AM »

anyone on here attend any of those shows?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 05:22:49 AM »

June 7 1980 the BBs played the second of two nights at Wembley in London on the “Knebworth Tour”. Thet played the Palais Des Sports in Paris on June 8 and The Hague on June 9.  Not sure if they went home or stayed in Europe but they didn’t play again till Knebworth on June 21.

Thanks, Ian. Odd that those days between June 9 and 21 are unaccounted for. The Live at Knebworth liner notes shift the Wembley gigs up a week. (http://albumlinernotes.com/Live_At_Knebworth.html)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 06:00:25 AM »

IAN, I Love you Knowledge about what they performed on TV Appearances  Grin
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 06:43:29 AM »

Liner notes are incorrect as I have the newspaper reviews, etc
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 07:11:52 AM »

Great stuff as always. I think a "Complete Beatles Chronicle" style book, day-by-day, is warranted! It would be a great companion to "In Concert."

Regarding the June 1980 European tour, I remember looking at that schedule and also wondering what exactly they may have done in that large gap between dates. I would presume normally they would have wrapped up the tour on the 9th but simply had to come back to do Knebworth.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 09:21:27 AM »

I'm sure that they had business to deal with too. Remember that those big shows like July 4 in D.C. And the televised Long Beach show need planning
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 11:07:46 AM »

I'm sure that they had business to deal with too. Remember that those big shows like July 4 in D.C. And the televised Long Beach show need planning

Good point. Not only was the DC show videotaped for HBO; they were also putting it out live on multiple radio markets.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 11:09:56 AM »

The following June the BBs played dates with Firefall in Salina, KS (7), Kansas City (Cool, Cedar Rapids (9) Charlotte, NC (10) and Cummings, GA (11). They played RFK Stadium in Washington DC on June 12. This was after they’d been banned by James Watt from playing there on July 4 and during the concert-Mike said “thanks very much for all you undesirable elements coming to the show today” Later they all went to the White House-as seen in American Band and performed at Vice President George Bush’s 59 birthday party.  They were in Philadelphia on June 14 but during the day Mike met again with Nancy Reagan at the White House.  Maybe he had a lot to talk with her about because he missed the shows in Binghamton, NY on June 15 and in Erie, PA on June 16. 

Were those the '83 shows that Mike missed due to strep throat? I think there is (or was) a local news clip on YouTube from around that time, and it even had a bit of footage (with off-line audio) of the show with Al singing Mike's leads.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 11:23:14 AM »

Right he had strep supposedly
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »

I've always been fascinated with the fact that, due to the incessant touring schedule, they never (or rarely) canceled shows when a member couldn't make it. They did shows without one of Mike, Carl, and Al at one point or another in the 80s and 90s.

When Mike was gone, they'd just have Al sing his leads usually. When Carl missed some shows in 1990, they just had others pick up his few lead vocals (I recall a 1990 audience video with Bruce singing Carl's part on "Good Vibrations") and hired a temp guitarist. When Al missed some shows in 1990, I think they had Matt sing his leads.

They supposedly had either their internal corporate rules and/or concert tour riders set up to where *one* of the three corporate or four main members on tour could be absent, but not more.

For that matter, are there any pre-1998 examples of shows being canceled due to *two* members being unavailable?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:33:52 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 01:18:09 PM »

The following June [1983] the BBs played dates with Firefall in Salina, KS (7), Kansas City (8 ), Cedar Rapids (9) Charlotte, NC (10) and Cummings, GA (11).

Ian, I was at the June 11, 1983 show in Cumming, GA (there's no 's' in the town's name, btw). It was the last time I saw Dennis in concert. He and Al stayed onstage after the rest of the guys had left the stage, shaking hands with fans (and in Al's case signing autographs). It was scary to see how much Dennis was going downhill.

I remember Carl taking a microphone in hand to sing "What You Do to Me" -- it was odd seeing him work without a guitar. The other notable thing about that show was that the venue was so remote, the band came and went in helicopters from Atlanta.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:36:30 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 08:01:23 PM »

Right-I made a typo on that.  Wow-still would have been cool to see them then! Though I find it hard to watch 83 footage of Dennis. Very sad
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx