gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:15:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love signed my book!  (Read 6283 times)
ryan9699
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2017, 07:55:56 AM »

Hey guys!

Just received my copy of Good Vibrations by Mike Love in the mail. I had sent it to one of his addresses asking for an autograph and possibly a letter back, (I sent him a letter as well), and he responded with a small postcard sized letter saying "Thank you for the support, hope to see you at a show! Keep up the great work!"  and a nice signature in my copy of his book. Say what you want about the guy, but this might be one of the best days of my life!

Ryan

I still believe that something is right only when it feels right. - Brian Wilson
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 08:00:19 AM »

Lucky! Just might need to try that Smokin
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 01:05:36 PM »

Very nice!

Cook pork throughly
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 01:37:52 PM »

Supercool, Ryan!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 01:43:14 PM »

Thats really cool.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 03:00:34 PM »

Like wow, man.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 08:58:31 PM »

you gotta give Mr Love some credit for being good to his fans.  I met him once hours
after a show when he was trying to leave the venue, and he had time for autographs
and pictures, long after the 'meet and greet' stuff was over. 
he is a true professional.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 12:20:37 AM »

Congratulations, Ryan.

What a big, stupid ego you have, OSD. 
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 01:47:05 AM »

Congrars , Ryan....
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 06:51:24 AM »

Very cool to get a signed item back. It's well documented that all of the guys (except sometimes weirdly Bruce) are generally good with fans and Al in particular, as well as Mike to some degree (keeping in mind his hectic touring schedule) are well known for getting signed items back to fans in the mail.

I only say this because I've seen several cases where someone gets a signed item back from Mike, or has a good encounter with him, with the implication that anybody has really ever claimed it would be otherwise (e.g. "say what you want to say about the guy"). Even Mike's most ardent detractors will point out he's almost always very good to fans, and certainly so in the case of meet-and-greets and things like mailing in and asking nicely for an autograph. Interactions *outside* that realm may be a different story occasionally, but that's another story for another topic.

But I just wanted to reiterate that criticisms of Mike over the years have, as far as I can tell, *never* been about his interaction with fans. Mike is almost always good with fans, and I'd venture to guess if you buy his book or buy a ticket to his concerts, he's even *more* likely to appreciate your fandom.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 06:57:44 PM »

Isn't signing items standard routine anyway?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 07:53:31 PM »

Isn't signing items standard routine anyway?

What are you trying to say?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 05:34:43 AM »

Baseball's on. I said doesn't everybody in show business sign things, answer to fan questions, in regards musicians sing special favorites & other niceties? It may be genuine or to boost cred/ sales etc. which is OK. It's what's easily expected. In short, it isn't big news/ surprise as HeyJude said that Mike did the same. Not substantial to start topic to tell it imo.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 05:57:01 AM »

the other big problem for big stars, too many people try and flip em off
to make some money off them, scalpers.  how many times do you see
a current program signed by say, Brian and the following day it's on ebay.
very disrespectful.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 06:01:56 AM »

Yes, these scams-makers of fake signatures must be brought to buyers' attention. As "big stars" suffer from it & get unfairly blamed for these deeds they didn't even know to take place.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 06:06:37 AM »

In short, it isn't big news/ surprise as HeyJude said that Mike did the same. Not substantial to start topic to tell it imo.

Personally I like reading topics like this. Not every artist will return something sent to be signed.

Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 08:20:07 AM »

Baseball's on. I said doesn't everybody in show business sign things, answer to fan questions, in regards musicians sing special favorites & other niceties? It may be genuine or to boost cred/ sales etc. which is OK. It's what's easily expected. In short, it isn't big news/ surprise as HeyJude said that Mike did the same. Not substantial to start topic to tell it imo.

I dunno, I mean, Brian doesn't really do it... but hey, keep on with the whole "give Mike no rope whatsoever" campaign....
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 12:44:19 PM »

See? You bring Brian to compare with Mike whilst I merely said it's standard routine to sign items by fan request. So, "give Mike no rope" is moot point.

Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 01:36:13 PM »

Let me rephrase this exchange like I interpreted it.  Feel free to do the same and maybe we might be able to understand each other afterwards.

A: "Mike did something with some effort that made me happy, this might be one of the best days of my life"
B: "it is unsurprising and easily expected within the rock industry and you shouldn't post this on a Beach Boys message board"
C: "well, everybody's A #1 favorite rock legend and the reason this place exists doesn't really do it.  that is a great example of it being not easily expected, you are simply fuelled by dislike of Mike"
B: "you are wrong for using Brian as a comparison, and for some reason that makes your point about Mike completely moot."

and finally, my response is
C: "This makes no sense and I don't know how to continue.  ORIGINAL POSTER I AM SO HAPPY THAT SOMETHING HAPPENED TO GIVE YOU ONE OF THE BEST DAYS OF YOUR LIFE AND YOU TOLD PEOPLE HERE ABOUT IT.  SO, SO HAPPY.  *HIGH FIVE*"
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 04:31:55 PM »

Really dude? He's excited he got his book signed, as would anyone in my opinion, and decided to share it on a Beach Boys message board. Nothing in that seems like it would be unworthy enough to start a thread. I'm actually glad he started the thread because now that I know Mike does this I might get my book signed as well.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 05:22:50 PM »

Longtime fans like myself are grizzled.... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 05:58:45 PM »

2Kid Presentable: My favorite BB is Al. Brian/ Mike camp division is between Brian & Mike fans. Not my problem. So, "fuelled by dislike of Mike" isn't really addressed to me.
2The Lovester: I meant to say that this is very one-off insignificant thread idea. Imagine if every single poster shared their signing experience by creating separate topic, it would be tough to deal with them & find important threads such as Sunshine Tomorrow, Tours etc.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 06:20:17 PM »

I think I've told this story before here, but when I was 14 (1993), I located "official" addresses of Al, Mike, Carl, and Bruce and sent them fan letters. I got one response, which was from Carl - an 8x10 glossy of the group with personalized signature from him ... still have it!

A very strange thing happened a couple years later - I received an unsolicited autographed glossy from Brian Wilson! To this day, I have no idea why.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:21:33 PM by DonnyL » Logged

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 06:39:54 PM »

no artist is obligated to sign things at all!  it's a choice they make, and for
the fans, it can be a rewarding one.  Mike is in no need to take time out
to sign anything anymore, but hearing he did, sure tells me how credible
he is to the fans, and especially signing it sending it back in the mail.
I'm glad the OP started this thread, I know the feeling of what it's like to
meet and get an autograph from your heroes. 
it's funny how it's a short moment of time can be a lifetime memory
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 06:58:06 PM »

I'm glad the OP started this thread, I know the feeling of what it's like to
meet and get an autograph from your heroes.
OK. Stupid of me to chime in to say what I deemed very fair & logical, that it's very insignificant thread idea.

To tell the truth, I'm very apathetic about signatures. Mike, Blondie, smb. else sending-not sending signed items back doesn't change my view towards them one bit. If you all find these stories cool - jolly good. If nobody of living BBs sent me back any signatures, I'd be absolutely OK. It isn't big deal, thankfully am not crazy about such trifle. If it would be fake signature - again no big deal. See? Apathetic.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:02:26 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx