gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:49:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elvis Presley  (Read 111379 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: July 09, 2022, 09:57:52 AM »

Here is an interview with session guitarist JD Simo, who was chosen by producer Dave Cobb to recreate all those amazing guitar parts as originally played by Scotty Moore, Hank Garland, Tommy Tedesco, and James Burton on the original Elvis recordings for the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNW8fkPyTw

And here's producer Dave Cobb in a print interview about producing the music and recreating the recordings for the film:

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/elvis-music-producer-dave-cobb-recreating-vintage-sounds-for-elvis-1235307939/

Interesting to note that not only did Cobb have to recreate the Elvis recordings, but also the music of the other artists featured in the film. I was very happy to see Chris Isaak involved, I've always been a big fan.

Thanks for those links! Very interesting. And doesn't JD Simo's speaking voice remind you of Carl?
Chris Isaak does a spot on Hank Snow on "A Fool such as I". His voice on "Cotton Candy Land" (which was always a guilty pleasure of mine) I don't like that much, though.
Also that short part "James Burton" got a solo during the build up to "That's allright" (live 1970) I didn't think that was played very well, and it didn't have Burton's sound. But that was just one or two seconds of course.

What do you think of the movie? I was - and still am - very satisfied. Apart from being very entertaining there's also a lot of depth in it which requires reflection.

I'm surprised to hear about the Burton part, honestly his tone out of all the guitarists seems to be the most easy to simulate. Just plug a Telecaster into a Fender Twin, on the bridge pickup, and play the sh*t out of those bends haha. So I'll definitely have to check it out.

If you want to you can listen to it on the soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uld8gM7e3WU
It's around 0:58. Ten seconds maybe so it doesn't ruin anything. But honestly I advise you to watch that whole scene before you listen to it. It's so moving. Just as the beginning with the "Arthur Crudup"-character;  won't say anything more because I don't want to spoil it.

"Blue Moon" always wa a favorite of mine. Sam's slapback and Elvis' voice, Scotty's muted guitar all work perfectly together making for an eerie performance. I don't think he ever made such a record again. Maybe "Heartbreak Hotel" comes close.
BTW Chris Isaak performed that song on the '94 Elvis tribute.

Personally I think the movie is wonderful, although it is quite long and you can get exhausted. There are many themes going on that you probably won't catch all of them at first but only after reflecting the movie. I realized new elements when I saw it for the second time, although that probably has to do with the first screening was in german, the second with original sound.
There are people who go crazy because Elvis didn't sing "Trouble" live in the 50s (and the part they show him singing it was a year before the song was even written) but they don't get that this - and lots of other scenes - are used to bring across what Elvis meant for the status quo. It's kind of a collage. In fact the 60s and 70s both have their collages as well. The one for the movie years is a lot of fun. But now I won't go on. I don't want to take anything away for those qho haven't watched the movie yet. Hope you will like it as much as me.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: July 13, 2022, 06:43:48 PM »

I broke down and listened to that clip audio before seeing the film! I couldn't resist. And in all fairness, I agree it is a pretty weak James Burton impersonation in that little guitar break. In fact it hardly sounds like Burton...and of all the guitarists Elvis had, he's perhaps the easiest to copy at least a few signature licks, especially in that particular song from all the live tapes.

I can't wait to see this on the big screen.

Speaking of Burton, one of my favorite tracks of Elvis in the 70's is when he did Fools Rush In, and asked James to play that solo exactly as he did on Ricky's original cut. That is awesome.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: July 21, 2022, 12:40:08 PM »

I broke down and listened to that clip audio before seeing the film! I couldn't resist. And in all fairness, I agree it is a pretty weak James Burton impersonation in that little guitar break. In fact it hardly sounds like Burton...and of all the guitarists Elvis had, he's perhaps the easiest to copy at least a few signature licks, especially in that particular song from all the live tapes.

It's strange, isn't it? Especially since Burton's sound is so distinctive.
Speaking of James, I must admit that I think after he switched to the pink paisley Tele in '70, his sound became a little too slick in the TCB band imo. When he played a regular Tele in '69 there seemed more edge to it. And I'm not even sure if it has to do with the guitar. Is there any difference to a regular Tele apart from the design?

I can't wait to see this on the big screen.

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion. Austin Butler is really awesome. I didn't expect that. And though I'm not a fan of remixes and that stuff (that's why I won't be getting the soundtrack), I must say that the way the music is used in the movie makes total sense. The whole thing is a spectacle, just like Elvis. I also hear that it is still doing really well. Says Facebook:

Last week Baz Luhrmann’s 'ELVIS' topped $100 million at the US domestic box office on Friday becoming one of the rare films without superheroes or dinosaurs to reach that mark. Globally, the Warner Bros. film has made over $170 million, an impressive result for this kind of material.

Unfortunately experience shows that if Elvis' reputation gets somewhat repaired, EPE will start to flood the market with Elvis rubber ducks and whatnot. So let's enjoy it while it lasts.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 01:07:33 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: July 22, 2022, 08:55:00 AM »

Now, this came unexpected. R. I. P.

Dukureh, from 'Elvis' film, found dead in Nashville home

https://www.fox13memphis.com/entertainment/dukureh-elvis-film/KDS4T7Q2NQILM65DJKFFNZWWUE/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: July 23, 2022, 09:28:54 AM »

Every once in a while there pops up some unreleased footag of a 50s show. In this case San Diego 1956:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUNJ5Y42oiM

August 16, 1987/ June 6, 1956

On the tenth anniversary of Elvis Presley’s death, Liz Pursell met a woman—Julie Campbell-- who was the opening act when he performed in San Diego in 1956. Julie Garrett was a local singer. She wasn’t too thrilled about it because she saw Elvis on the Ed Sullivan Show and wasn’t all that impressed. She explained that since everything was censored back then, the performance was a lot tamer than his live performance. After she sang “Rock around the Clock,” she stuck around to see what all the fuss was about. “He had that charisma that only a superstar has.”

It was June 6, 1956—not 1957. The original film was retrieved for this story.

This is the original script—and yes, it says “Alvis Presley.”

The latest teenage idol, Alvis Presley, came to town last night and here’s a view of the more than four-thousand youngsters who jammed into the San Diego arena for his performance…Channel Eight’s Julie Garrett helped entertain while fans waited for the 21 year old hill-billy singer, star of the show…Another KFMB and Channel Eight favorite, Joe Graydon, introduced Presley…The crowd went wild as the new teenage version of Johnny Ray, wearing a pale green sports jacket, strolled to the microphone and broke into a rock ‘n roll number. The audience, made up mostly of young teenage girls, squealed and swooned, but no casualties were reported. Police said later that some parents complained that it was not the type of show for juveniles to have seen. The screams of the audience drowned out most of the singing.
The film of him singing in the beginning is not our film--it's likely a handout tape.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: July 31, 2022, 01:32:10 AM »

If I Can Dream (From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack ELVIS) (Official Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVbl0mQACSM

The movie is still going strong. From what I understand it is already the second most succesfull biopic.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: August 01, 2022, 11:24:04 AM »

'Elvis' Continues to Rock at Worldwide Box Office Earning $234 Million

https://collider.com/elvis-movie-worldwide-box-office-234-million/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: August 02, 2022, 11:32:04 AM »

So, there will be a boxset about "Elvis - On Tour" in November. This is what amazon has to say (the official announcement though will probably happen later this month):

Elvis On Tour is a 6 CD + 1 Blu-ray box set comprised of the audio from four of the shows (and two rehearsals) that were part of Elvis’ 1972 North American tour. Originally recorded for the Elvis On Tour concert film that was released later that year, the set features a total of 145 tracks, including 91 tracks that have been previously unreleased, as well as the award-winning concert film on Blu-ray.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: August 10, 2022, 03:49:57 AM »

More people are learning Elvis Presley songs on guitar following biopic, Fender claims
People learning Presley's songs have reportedly doubled since the biopic's release

https://www.nme.com/news/music/more-people-are-learning-elvis-presley-songs-on-guitar-following-biopic-fender-claims-3286726

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: August 11, 2022, 03:19:07 AM »

Here's the first promo video for the upcoming "On Tour" release:

Burning Love (Rehearsal 2)

https://youtu.be/_cN7UjNE6fo

And this is a tracklist posted by ElvisWorldJapan. It's not confirmed yet, afaik.

CD 1 - 09.04.1972 ES - Hampton Roads, VA:
Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra - See See Rider - I Got A Woman / Amen - Never Been To Spain -  You Gave Me A Mountain - Until It's Time For You To Go - Polk Salad Annie - Love Me - All Shook Up - Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel - Are You Lonesome Tonight? - I Can't Stop Loving You - Hound Dog - Bridge Over Troubled Water - Suspicious Minds - For The Good Times - Introductions - An American Trilogy - Love Me Tender - A Big Hunk O' Love - How Great Thou Art - Sweet Sweet Spirit (The Stamps) - Lawdy Miss Clawdy - Can't Help Falling In Love - Closing Vamp

CD 2 - 10.04.1972 - Richmond, VA:
Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra - See See Rider - Proud Mary - Never Been To Spain - You Gave Me A Mountain - Until It's Time For You To Go - Polk Salad Annie - Love Me - All Shook Up - Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel - Heartbreak Hotel - Hound Dog - Bridge Over Troubled Water - Love Me Tender - It's Over - Suspicious Minds - Introductions - For The Good Times - I Can't Stop Loving You - An American Trilogy - Lawdy Miss Clawdy - Funny How Time Slips Away - Can't Help Falling In Love - Closing Vamp

CD 3 - 14.04.1972 - Greensboro, NC:
Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra - See See Rider - Proud Mary - Never Been To Spain - You Gave Me A Mountain - Until It's Time For You To Go - Polk Salad Annie - Love Me - All Shook Up - Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel - Hound Dog - Heartbreak Hotel - A Big Hunk O' Love - Bridge Over Troubled Water - Suspicious Minds - Love Me Tender - Introductions - For The Good Times - An American Trilogy - Burning Love - Release Me - Funny How Time Slips Away - Can't Help Falling In Love - Closing Vamp

CD 4 - 18.04.1972 - San Antonio, TX:
Also Sprach Zarathustra - See See Rider - Proud Mary - Never Been To Spain - You Gave Me A Mountain - Until It's Time For You To Go - Polk Salad Annie - Love Me -  All Shook Up - Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel - Heartbreak Hotel - Hound Dog - How Great Thou Art - I Can't Stop Loving You - Love Me Tender - Suspicious Minds - Introductions - For The Good Times - Burning Love - An American Trilogy - Funny How Time Slips Away - Can't Help Falling In Love - Closing Vamp

2 "Rehearsal" CDs Including - 30.03.972, RCA Studio, Hollywood, California:
Burning Love - For The Good Times - El Paso - Johnny B. Goode - A Big Hunk O' Love - Always On My Minds - Separate Ways

31.03.1972 - RCA Studio, Hollywood, California:
Proud Mary - Never Been To Spain - You Gave Me A Mountain - Until It's Time For You To Go - Polk Salad Annie - Love Me - All Shook Up - Heartbreak Hotel - Teddy Bear /  Don't Be Cruel - Hound Dog - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - A Big Hunk O' Love - See See Rider - For The Good Times - Funny How Time Slips Away - Burning Love - Help Me Make It Through The Night - Can't Help Falling In Love - Young And Beautiful - Lawdy, Miss Clawdy - Release Me - See See Rider - Proud Mary - Never Been To Spain - I, John - Bosom Of Abraham - You Better Run - Lead Me, Guide Me - Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus / Nearer My God To Thee

« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 03:21:15 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: August 12, 2022, 10:19:05 AM »

RCA/Legacy Recordings Celebrating 50th Anniversary of Elvis Presley’s monumental
1972 concert trek with Release of Comprehensive Elvis On Tour Box Set
on Friday, December 2

Seven-Disc Set Includes Unreleased Recordings from Three Elvis Concerts plus
San Antonio Concert Remixed, Pre-Tour Rehearsals and Complete Golden Globe
Winning MGM Film on Blu-ray

RCA/Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, will release the Elvis On Tour box set, a newly-compiled 50th anniversary celebration of Presley's monumental 1972 concert trek (premiering unreleased live and studio material), on Friday, December 2.

Fans can get their first taste of Elvis On Tour when the previously unreleased "Burning Love (Rehearsal 2)," recorded live at RCA Recording Studios in Hollywood in March 1972, becomes available on all DSPs today. Listen HERE

The Elvis On Tour Box Set may be pre-ordered  HERE

A seven-disc set, with the audio selections available in digital and physical configurations, the Elvis On Tour box set includes six audio discs (premiering previously unreleased Elvis concert performances and studio rehearsals) and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment's Blu-ray edition of the MGM Film, "Elvis On Tour," winner of Best Documentary Film at the 30th Golden Globes Awards in 1973 and the last feature film starring Elvis Presley to be released during the artist's lifetime.

RCA/Legacy's Elvis On Tour box set is produced by Ernst Mikael Jørgensen and mixed by Grammy Award®-winning Memphis-based producer Matt Ross-Spang. The original recordings were made by Felton Jarvis and Al Pachucki.

Disc 1 was recorded live on April 9, 1972, at Hampton Roads Coliseum, Hampton, Virginia, and contains all previously unreleased material.

Disc 2 was recorded live on April 10, 1972, at Richmond Coliseum, Richmond, Virginia, and contains all previously unreleased material.

Disc 3 was recorded live on April 14, 1972, at Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina, and contains all previously unreleased material.

Disc 4 was recorded live on April 18, 1972, at Convention Center Arena, San Antonio, Texas, and includes previously released material (from 2003's Elvis: Close-Up box set), remixed for this release.

Disc 5 features the tour rehearsals, recorded live at RCA Recording Studios in Hollywood, California, on March 30 and 31, 1972. The disc is comprised primarily of previously unreleased tracks in addition to performances previously available on the official Elvis Presley collector's releases Elvis On Tour - The Rehearsals (Follow That Dream CD 2004) and 6363 Sunset Boulevard(Follow That Dream CD 2001) as well as The Great Performances (RCA 1990).

Disc 6 completes Elvis' rehearsals with his band at RCA Recordings Studios with performances recorded March 31, 1972. The disc includes previously unreleased takes on Kris Kristofferson's "For The Good Times" as well as performances previously available only on 6363 Sunset Boulevard, Elvis On Tour - The Rehearsals and Amazing Grace (RCA 2CD 1994).

As Elvis Presley’s national tour played to sold-out secondary markets across the country in 1972, Elvis was enjoying himself on-stage and finding electrifying new ways of connecting to audiences at every show. Working with a band and set lists of his choosing, Elvis was channeling the music he loved most--from pop and gospel and traditional country to blues and rock and contemporary hits--while transforming his own greatest hits with fresh arrangements, turning nostalgia into an unforgettable concert experience packed with immediacy.

Award-winning filmmakers Pierre Adidge and Robert Abel (Mad Dogs & Englishmen) went on the road with Elvis Presley and his band with all-access passes, cameras and crew to chronicle the King of Rock & Roll at his on-stage peak in MGM’s Elvis On Tour documentary film. The film captures Elvis, the human being driving the myth, behind-the-scenes backstage with his eyes open and his defenses down.  According to MGM's original press release, the Elvis On Tour film "offers the first intimate look at the enigmatic country boy who became the world's most celebrated musician."  Both documentary and concert film, Elvis On Tourfeatures montage sequences supervised by Martin Scorsese. The film was released on November 1, 1972.

The Elvis On Tour box set includes fascinating behind-the-scenes liner notes by Jerry Schilling, a longtime personal friend and member of Elvis' inner circle.

The set also features an illuminating essay by rock historian/musician Warren Zanes, founding member of The Del Fuegos and Professor at New York University. According to Zanes: "The set lists and the performances of the Elvis On Tour period bring a rare thing: a fifties legend working in the early seventies who was still taking his audiences to new places....The core band, including Ronnie Tutt, James Burton, Glen D. Hardin, Jerry Scheff, John Wilkinson, Charlie Hodge, the Sweet Inspirations, J.D. Sumner and the Stamps Quartet, and an orchestra led by Joe Guercio, had gotten to a place at which Elvis could inject spontaneity, allowing the arena shows to have a measure of the unexpected.... 1972 was a year of one-hundred-sixty-five performances. In Jorgensen's words, it was a 'climax of his career.' While the '68 Comeback Special marked the significant point at which Presley returned to live performance, 1972 was the year in which the artist revealed most completely what he wanted to do with the creative energy such a return kicked off."

A definitive portrait of the artist in 1972, the Elvis On Tour box set arrives in the wake of the release of Warner Bros. Pictures’ epic big-screen drama, ELVIS, from filmmaker Baz Luhrmann, starring Austin Butler in the title role and Tom Hanks as Colonel Tom Parker, Elvis' longtime manager and technical advisor.

The RCA/Legacy Elvis On Tour box set includes the songs:

See See Rider • I Got A Woman / Amen • Never Been To Spain •You Gave Me A Mountain • Until It's Time For You To Go • Polk Salad Annie •Love Me • All Shook Up • (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel •Are You Lonesome Tonight? • I Can't Stop Loving You • Hound Dog •Bridge Over Troubled Water • Suspicious Minds • For The Good Times • An American Trilogy • Love Me Tender • A Big Hunk O' Love • How Great Thou Art • Sweet, Sweet Spirit (Performed by The Stamps) •Lawdy, Miss Clawdy • Can't Help Falling In Love • Proud Mary •Heartbreak Hotel • It's Over • Funny How Time Slips Away • Burning Love •Release Me (And Let Me Love Again) • Johnny B. Goode • Always On My Mind • Separate Ways • The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face •Help Me Make It Through The Night • Young And Beautiful •I, John • Bosom Of Abraham • You Better Run • Lead Me, Guide Me • Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus / Nearer My God To Thee

# # # # #

www.elvisthemusic.com
www.elvis.com
www.legacyrecordings.com

Source: https://www.elvisthemusic.com/elvis-on-tour-box-set-with-unreleased-live-studio-material-coming-december-2%ef%bf%bc%ef%bf%bc/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: August 12, 2022, 02:22:20 PM »

Elvis | Viva Australia: Recreating Iconic Locations for Elvis | Warner Bros. Entertainment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps8yrhJpdEk

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 20, 2022, 01:31:46 PM »

It’s hard to get super excited-as the shows are all pretty similar in 1972 and to my mind not his best-or do you think some of these shows are exceptional?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: August 22, 2022, 01:00:55 PM »

It’s hard to get super excited-as the shows are all pretty similar in 1972 and to my mind not his best-or do you think some of these shows are exceptional?

Well, he had his program for that tour so naturally the shows were similar. But I agree, I don't know if four of those shows in their entirety may be too much. The best shows of '72 came from June in New York anyway. Hampton Roads comes close iirc and thankfully we will get the whole show (bootlegs were always missing a couple of songs in the beginning). Greensboro is a good show as well, they all are if memory serves me. The movie features two phenomenal performances from San Antonio (Never Been to Spain and Proud Mary). But in the end maybe one show plus some bonus tracks would've been enough for a mainstream release and then release the complete shows on FTD.

'72 was certainly an important year. Elvis was still great but not as constantly on-top as one or two years before. The movie shows an icon starting to lose his grip on reality imo. Quite fascinating. The original trailer is great, though, and shows Elvis as still being on top.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 01:09:10 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 23, 2022, 04:17:10 AM »

Yeah my memory is that he sang well and was still relatively thin but seemed stoned and looked pale and somewhat unwell. Also by 1972 the oldies were all treated as parodies and rushed through with little feeling or used as an opportunity to drink water or kiss fans-a far cry from the feeling he put into the old numbers in 1969.  He even seemed bored with more recent numbers like suspicious minds-which was a monumental moment in the 69-70 shows. Obviously he gets wrapped up in numbers like how great thou art-but I feel like he started singing that with too much bombast compared to the subtlety of singing on the 66 master take
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: August 27, 2022, 08:22:40 PM »

I would be more interested in seeing more film outtakes from Elvis on Tour. Elvis: The Lost Performances, released on VHS back in the 90's, had great unseen footage from TTWII and EOT.
As an audio document, the shows are all very much the same. The setlists had become very static and boring. Only occasionally, when he slipped in something like How Great Thou Art, or his new record, Burning Love, was there something interesting happening.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 28, 2022, 08:36:48 AM »

Yeah he got into a rut-just like in his 60s movie career. He did realize it and in 1974 he really shook things up with a radically different set list but apparently he felt that the audience didn’t like it and after one or two shows he went back to the set list he’d been doing before.  He was obviously bored -though he often still sang some songs with great feeling!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 28, 2022, 10:40:30 PM »

Finally saw ELVIS last night. I thought Austin Butler was excellent as Elvis. It took some getting used to how the timeline was constant jumping around. I also thought some scenes were laughably mellow dramatic and the film as a whole very short on actual ELVIS songs.

Still enjoyed watching it. High 3 to a low 4 out of 5 for me.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: September 23, 2022, 07:29:56 AM »

I would be more interested in seeing more film outtakes from Elvis on Tour. Elvis: The Lost Performances, released on VHS back in the 90's, had great unseen footage from TTWII and EOT.
As an audio document, the shows are all very much the same. The setlists had become very static and boring. Only occasionally, when he slipped in something like How Great Thou Art, or his new record, Burning Love, was there something interesting happening.

Generally I would agree with you on that. But the setlists being very similar during "On Tour" is actually not a good point. This was the program Elvis toured with, so naturally the setlists were nearly identical during the shows. That's how it is done, always has been. You prepare a setlist for a tour and then play it at every show. Sometimes your program will last for a couple of tours (depending on different factors).

These '72 shows do actually have quite a chunk of new material (Never been to Spain, You gave me a Mountain, Until it's Time for you to go, For the good Times, An American Trilogy, Burning Love and "new" oldies with A big hunk o' Love, How great Thour art and Lawdy Miss Clawdy) plus new arrangements of See see Rider, Proud Mary, Polk Salad Annie, Hound Dog and I believe Teddy Bear/Don't be cruel. After '72, or better: after Aloha it basically didn't change anymore with a handful of very nice exceptions in '74 and '75 (after '75 there wouldn't even be any rehearsals with Elvis anymore). The basic arrangement has always been the same more or less since '70 - opening block, couple of oldies, closing block.

A new one from the set:

Always On My Mind (Rehearsal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vu6Yi-6g_s

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 07:33:17 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 23, 2022, 12:05:38 PM »

I think it’s interesting how much Elvis became a “feel” singer in the 1970s. If he got emotionally involved in the song, he would really give it his all but if it was an old number that no longer spoke to him then he often treated it as a joke. For example in 1968 he gave phenomenal performances of heartbreak hotel and love me but as early as 1970 they became listless throwaways
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 07, 2022, 11:38:11 PM »

I think it’s interesting how much Elvis became a “feel” singer in the 1970s. If he got emotionally involved in the song, he would really give it his all but if it was an old number that no longer spoke to him then he often treated it as a joke. For example in 1968 he gave phenomenal performances of heartbreak hotel and love me but as early as 1970 they became listless throwaways
There were only a few of the oldies he still loved - That's All Right, Lawdy Miss Clawdy, A Big Hunk O Love, My Baby Left Me. The other he just rushed through. He was much more interested in songs like Polk Salad Annie, You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling, How Great Thou Art, or Hurt.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: October 18, 2022, 09:10:03 AM »

Elvis Presley - Always On My Mind (Elvis On Tour Interviews)

https://youtu.be/tR2HOfnPsaI

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: October 21, 2022, 09:44:04 AM »

Two more songs from the upcoming "On Tour" set:

Elvis Presley - How Great Thou Art (Live at Hampton Roads Coliseum)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ3ECtFGyI0

Elvis Presley - Never Been To Spain (Live at Richmond Coliseum)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV3Kv-TAyE4

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: November 04, 2022, 09:50:17 AM »

Elvis Presley - How Great Thou Art (Elvis On Tour Interviews)

https://youtu.be/YY3biwJMK98

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: November 29, 2022, 09:44:46 AM »

Looks like there will be another release that has to do with On Tour:

Due for release from RCA / Victor on March 24, 2023 is the double LP 'Live 1972'. More information when available.

http://elv75.blogspot.com/

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx