gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:00:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elvis Presley  (Read 111351 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: February 10, 2022, 02:50:34 AM »

By the way I noticed that in the picture that seems to represent Elvis in the studio 1956, the actor has no sideburns, which is an odd stylistic choice because that was clearly one of his 50s trademarks.

Yes, that was mentioned on another messageboard as well. If I understand correctly, these pictures are from an actual recording session (for the soundtrack) and not from the movie.

IMO the problem with Elvis biopics has been

a) the music: many times a impersonator was used. That was the case in the Kurt Russel picture and in the early 90s series. I believe they used Ronnie McDowell for one of these, and man that guys sounds horrible (which of course is nothing new with impersonators) and nothing like Elvis.
b) the actors: the problem with Elvis is that there is such a big myth behind that man, which was already there while he was still alive. Elvis caricatures have become part of the culture and even the actors were obviously more influenced by them than by the real person. But not only that, some of the actors just don't have any resemblance to Elvis. Look at Jonathan Ryhes-Myers, or better don't, as his portrait of Elvis ruins an anotherwise nicely done picture.

I don't know how the new movie will pull it off but I have high hopes that it will look at Elvis without all the garbage that is connected with him nowadays. The last paragraph of the article above gave me hope and actually reassured my guess that it will show the meaning of Elvis' appearance on the world's stage and the cultural setting. The list shows that pre-Elvis performers are also cast which probably means that we will also get a good look at the music scene and what happened before Elvis.

The last sentence "'... Elvis represents what happens when a kid lives in one of four designated white houses in a black community. Something new comes about, a fusion between country and African-American music, gospel and country-and-western music.' In comparison, he said that The Colonel, who is played by Tom Hanks, represents the other quality in America of 'the big sell'." makes a lot of sense to me and sounds like a great point. The constant fight between authenticity and commerce.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 10, 2022, 07:24:38 PM »

Yes I agree that I never liked Ronnie milsap’s voice (I think he was also involved in some dubbing for THis is Elvis. But I did like Kurt Russell as Elvis. It is definitely hard to do a good version of Elvis’s life and even harder if you are not a fan of his whole career. I think you and I agree that Elvis put out a lot of good material throughout his life (as well as some very bad music on some of the soundtracks) but as we’ve discussed a lot of people in the rock world who worshipped 50s Elvis were very dismissive of post army Elvis, as they felt his rawness had been muted and he’d become a Dean Martin type crooner. I am thinking of Dylan, the Beatles, the Stones, etc. It’s clear that their view of his career hurt his post army music’s appreciation, though this has slowly been rectified. It also seems clear that most of those artists could not really comment on Elvis’s post army career as I don’t think they really listened to the albums. But I question whether filmmakers can make 1970 feel as special as 1956, so I usually expect that a movie will be clued into Elvis 50s oeuvre but not have a clue about great hidden 60s gems like love letters, I need somebody to lean on, suspicion or his latest flame.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 10, 2022, 07:35:14 PM »

That being said in the 60s Elvis was not well served by his label or the people selecting material . Today we have the benefit of many lovingly curated albums separating the gems from the crap. I can picture Brian Jones or John Lennon in 1966 saying maybe we should give Elvis another chance and buying the album available Spinout and saying forget it! A lot of his better 60s stuff did not come out (like the 1963 Lost album or was released in dribs and drabs as bonus songs on bad soundtrack lps or b-sides in the 60s).
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: February 13, 2022, 01:42:31 AM »

But I question whether filmmakers can make 1970 feel as special as 1956, so I usually expect that a movie will be clued into Elvis 50s oeuvre but not have a clue about great hidden 60s gems like love letters, I need somebody to lean on, suspicion or his latest flame.

Yes, that will certainly be one thing to look out for. On the other hand, it was the 50s when the cultural explosion of Rock'n'Roll was palpable. The question is what the movie will focus on. But I hope that the later years will be put in perspective.
"Love Letters" (the 60s version) = possibly the most perfect recording Elvis ever did.

I actually don't give a lot about what the Beatles a.o. say about Elvis in that regard. First, there are so many stupid things that Lennon said over the years, that I just can't take it seriously. And as you said, unfortunately people take these artists's opinions as gospel and don't even listen to the music. Everyone has his/her opinion and is entitled to it, so are the Beatles etc., but I think they had a problem with Elvis evolving. They obviously didn't want that, just as others possibly didn't want the Beatles to go beyond "She loves You". I could go on about that whole attitude of "Rock" stars and the discrepancy for hours but that's probably for a different discussion.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: February 14, 2022, 01:46:21 PM »

According to Luhrmann, thursday will see the release of the first trailer! He posted a longer video on instagram, and it looks really good:

bazluhrmann
Hey, it’s time to TCB!

I’ll have a trailer to share with you all on Thursday…

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZ-Fg-WhfKD/?utm_source=ig_embed

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2022, 10:27:34 AM »

I made some screenshots of the short video posted by Luhrmann.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: February 16, 2022, 07:38:36 AM »

Another one from the short video:

- Jack Rieley
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 17, 2022, 06:45:43 AM »

Just for a chuckle, there are a group of Elvis fans who are parading during the Mardi Gras season in New Orleans. Have been doing it for almost 20 years. They are called the Krewe of the Rolling Elvi.

Some photos  King:   www.rollingelvi.org

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: February 17, 2022, 09:56:28 AM »

HERE IT IS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBDLRvjHVOY

Also a 10-minute featurette posted by Luhrmann on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/TwitterMovies/status/1494354768776642573?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1494354768776642573%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 17, 2022, 01:49:15 PM »

Tom Hanks as Col. Tom Parker looks great as well. Creepy hidden Dutch accent and all!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 17, 2022, 03:06:18 PM »

Watched the trailer. Surprisingly got a bot teary eyed.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: February 20, 2022, 02:39:48 AM »

First look at 'Elvis' movie: Baz Luhrmann, Austin Butler on new biopic, Memphis and the King
"The life of Elvis Presley could not be a better canvas on which to explore America in the '50s, the '60s and the '70s," said filmmaker Baz Luhrmann.

https://eu.commercialappeal.com/story/entertainment/movies/2022/02/17/elvis-biopic-baz-luhrmann-austin-butler-tom-hanks-trailer-release-date/6783872001/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: February 22, 2022, 10:46:47 AM »

Baz Luhrmann opens up about his Elvis Presley biopic

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/movies/baz-luhrmann-opens-up-about-his-elvis-presley-bio-pic-20220208-p59ul3.html

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: March 16, 2022, 10:12:48 AM »

Baz Luhrmann’s ‘Elvis’ to Premiere at Cannes Film Festival

https://www.thewrap.com/baz-luhrmanns-elvis-to-premiere-at-cannes-film-festival/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: April 02, 2022, 12:06:54 PM »

ELVIS PRESLEY: GREATEST HITS

Elvis Presley's greatest hits on one playlist.

Baz Luhrmann's Elvis film out on June 24th.

Elvis - The Soundtrack coming soon. Follow the playlist now to be the first to hear new music from the Soundtrack.

https://forms.sonymusicfans.com/campaign/elvis-presley-greatest-hits-playlist/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: April 04, 2022, 10:58:15 AM »

Yola on Playing Sister Rosetta Tharpe in Baz Luhrmann’s ‘Elvis’: ‘It’s Important We Claim Space’

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/yola-sister-rosetta-tharpe-elvis-grammys-2022-1235222472/?fbclid=IwAR1JBwk2tl6sOfnY1jUQcyT9ZabY5qnowkn1uDC56mCmnWIP1D9VMuXoIr8

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: April 05, 2022, 12:07:05 PM »

Cannes Confirms ‘Elvis’ World Premiere, Unveils New Image of Austin Butler as Rock and Roll King

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/cannes-elvis-baz-luhrmann-premiere-1235224981/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: April 21, 2022, 09:51:54 AM »

The Actor Who Would Be King: Austin Butler's Journey to Elvis

https://www.vogue.com/article/austin-butler-elvis-actor-profile

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: April 26, 2022, 09:57:57 AM »

Doja Cat’s ‘Elvis’ Soundtrack Single, ‘Vegas,’ Set for May as RCA Readies Movie’s Companion Album

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/doja-cat-elvis-vegas-soundtrack-single-release-date-soundtrack-1235240121/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: April 27, 2022, 12:56:33 PM »

Baz Luhrmann's ELVIS - Footage Reaction - CinemaCon 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-c0ySqVWkU

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: April 30, 2022, 03:11:08 AM »

The great persuader: Baz Luhrmann on his biggest gamble yet

Taking on the tale of the King of rock’n’roll, Elvis Presley, then shooting it on the Gold Coast mid-pandemic, is a job for the crazy brave. But as he nears 60, the Australian director still has plenty of that chutzpah left in him.

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/movies/the-great-persuader-baz-luhrmann-on-his-biggest-gamble-yet-20220330-p5a9j8.html

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: May 02, 2022, 11:34:42 AM »

This is an awesome find someone just posted on the FECC messageboard:

Offered is an original manuscript written by Trude Forsher for submission to LOOK magazine detailing the Elvis Presley September 1956 recording session. The 15-page manuscript is titled "Presley Feature," and the album is simply referred to as "New RCA Record Album." In fact, the recordings described were at Radio Recorders Studio 1 in Hollywood from September 1-5, and would produce 11 of the 12 songs on for Elvis second, self-titled LP. Measures 8 1/2 x 11 inches and presents in Near Mint condition with only minor toning.

https://rockhurstauctions.com/1956_Elvis_Presley__em_LOOK__em__Magazine_Article_-LOT6741.aspx

A great read and a piece of history

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: May 03, 2022, 10:41:32 AM »

ELVIS CAST INTERVIEW! Met Gala 2022! Priscilla Presley, Baz Luhrmann, Austin Butler #TeamTCB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-_fTz4a34g

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: May 06, 2022, 09:47:00 AM »

This looks like a winner (and sounds pretty good as well  Wink )

Austin Butler - Baby, Let's Play House (From "Elvis") (Promotional Footage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BGy99nPtXI

EDIT:

Without the watermarks:

Baz Luhrmann's Elvis - Hayride clip - Warner Bros. UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N51tMkk807Q
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 02:21:26 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: May 09, 2022, 10:37:59 AM »

Baz Luhrmann's Elvis Biopic Could Fix The Great Gatsby's Mistakes

https://screenrant.com/elvis-movie-baz-luhrmann-gatsby-mistakes-criticism-avoid/

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx