gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:41:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elvis Presley  (Read 111393 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »

Here are three more clips from The Searcher:

‘It Just Rocked’ Official Clip| Elvis Presley: The Searcher | HBO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydEhRR73DSc&feature=youtu.be

'Black Churches & Gospel Music' Official Clip | Elvis Presley: The Searcher | HBO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1rKmC1stuo&feature=youtu.be

'Howlin Wolf' Official Clip | Elvis Presley: The Searcher | HBO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvYtanaM50s&feature=youtu.be

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2018, 07:20:52 AM »

Well, the first impressions I've read on FECC were mostly positive but a couple are also critical because of lack of unreleased footage. Also it seems that the footage from the '68 Comeback Special was not as good as on earlier releases (but that could be the maker's decision).

I hope I can watch it soon. Meanwhile here are more clips uploaded by HBO

‘A Spark of Invention’ Official Clip | Elvis Presley: The Searcher | HBO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW4XpXs4d9I

‘Are You Lonesome Tonight’ Official Clip | Elvis Presley: The Searcher | HBO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyMw96F-Og

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2018, 12:13:02 PM »

I haven't had a chance to watch it all yet but I saw the first twenty minutes and it was great-I'd seen most but not all the footage-which included rare home movies of red and the guys on the road in 54-56. Lots of audio from rare Elvis interviews as well as audio of Tom petty, Sam Philips, Scotty and others
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2018, 04:20:10 AM »

I haven't had a chance to watch it all yet but I saw the first twenty minutes and it was great-I'd seen most but not all the footage-which included rare home movies of red and the guys on the road in 54-56. Lots of audio from rare Elvis interviews as well as audio of Tom petty, Sam Philips, Scotty and others

Sounds good! I have a chance to watch it later today and I'm really looking forward to it although some people said that there's the same old "blame the Colonel for everything"-stuff. Will have to see.

I am always looking for Sam Phillips interviews (and basically everything Sun Records related) so I know some of the things used in The Searcher. That one in the clip posted above for example comes from another documentary and the "blew me away"-part actually was when he was talking about "Blue moon of Kentucky" IIRC. But since Sam said similar things about "That's alright" and Elvis knowledge of the Blues, it certainly is ok to use the way they placed it.

Ian, since you're a historian, do you own the "A boy from Tupelo" set? The book has lots of detailed information about the Sun years.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2018, 06:40:03 AM »

As you know, Record Store Day is not far away. There will be a fabulous Presley release. If it is what it promises, this is a good way to start your Elvis collection.

Elvis Presley, The King In The Ring (2LP – Individually Numbered – Red Vinyl – First Time on Vinyl)

Elvis Presley re-established himself as The King of Rock and Roll with ELVIS, the widely-seen “comeback special” broadcast on NBC at the end of 1968. The show’s many highlights included laid-back live performances recorded in the round before a small audience and featuring a powerful ensemble—including guitarist Scotty Moore and drummer D.J. Fontana, both part of Elvis’ original, classic backing band. To celebrate the 50th anniversary of ELVIS, both electrifying, intimate “sit-down” sets will be released on vinyl for the first time in an individually numbered 2LP package with a newly created gatefold sleeve, pressed on red vinyl. The history of Presley’s amazing “comeback special” is told in Elvis Presley: The Searcher, the new documentary premiering April 14 on HBO.

http://www.elvisthemusic.com/elvis-presley-king-in-the-ring-2lp-released-record-store-day/

Rocker, I can't wait for this album.  I just wonder if there's a mistake in the 'article.'  How can they fit both shows on 2 LP's?

It's both shows indeed:

https://www.facebook.com/wearevinylde/videos/830275993825455/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2018, 12:15:25 PM »

I had a chance to watch the first part (right now watching the second one). I thought it was very good. Some small glitches, but not too dramatic.

Interestingly, the studio footage they used is taken from different sources, since there's not much of Elvis' sessions. That way you can see quite a few times parts of the recently (a couple of years ago) discovered footage of the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations" sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVlSVkzbJDA

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2018, 01:12:49 PM »

Yeah my criticism is that they seldom let a full song play and used very little footage-for example no footage from ed Sullivan just stills-after describing peace in the valley why did they not have a clip? And they completely glossed over loving you and jailhouse rock. Oddly longest clip was crawfish
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2018, 01:14:46 PM »

Have not seen second part yet-surprised guralnick isn't in it
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2018, 01:36:11 PM »

I'm finished. Great movie! I really like it very much. My first fears were that we hear the same sh!t about Colonel parker and how he was responsible for everything bad that ever happened to Elvis and blablabla. But this movie actually shows his strengths and weaknesses imo in a way that makes you want to know more about him. But obviously this movie is about Elvis and it portraits him finally in a serious way as a musician and someone who is not only a product but an actual human being. It reaches this goal by being not just another retelling of the old stories.
Man, I am happy that this came out so good. If anyone has the chance to watch it, do it!

Have not seen second part yet-surprised guralnick isn't in it

Yeah, he mentioned a couple of weeks/months ago that he wasn't part. But the movie works very well without him. Just as Guralnick's essential books, this movie is a must watch imo.

Yeah my criticism is that they seldom let a full song play and used very little footage-for example no footage from ed Sullivan just stills-after describing peace in the valley why did they not have a clip? And they completely glossed over loving you and jailhouse rock. Oddly longest clip was crawfish

It's common practice in documentaries not to feature full performances. Although I don't know each and every Elvis doc, the only featuring full performances that comes to mind is Elvis '56. It shows enough footage though to get the point. Maybe the DVD will have full performances as a bonus (?)
I guess the "Peace in the valley" studio recording just sounds much better as the TV recording. The deep voice Elvis sings in creates a very moody tone. But I don't know. I didn't miss the performances though, because it totally works.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2018, 12:20:16 PM »

Part 1 in low quality:

https://vimeo.com/264972249

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2018, 06:40:09 AM »

Here are more clips of "The Searcher":

‘Jon Landau on the King of Rock 'n' Roll’ Official Clip | Elvis Presley: The Searcher | HBO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5lLeIlSM4

‘Just ELVIS’ Official Clip | Elvis Presley: The Searcher | HBO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYh0oHC5eGM

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2018, 12:47:00 AM »

Record Store Day 2018 RSD Elvis Presley The King In His Ring Unboxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=113&v=bQOKEmGOzwo

Here's the unboxing of "The King in the ring". It looks quite beautiful. I don't know though if I really need this, having the shows already on other CDs.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2018, 02:39:03 AM »

Author George Smith has posted a review of The Searcher on the FECC messageboard. He used some Beach Boys references.

Bicycle Rider: just see what you’ve done

Thoughts on Elvis Presley: The Searcher

There are seven basic types of story: The Quest; Rags to Riches; Voyage and Return; Comedy; Rebirth; Tragedy; Overcoming the Monster. The saga of Elvis Presley contains the first six in that order, but sadly the seventh act was denied him and us.

Director Thom Zimny has attempted to do justice to the Presley story over the course of a newly-released two-part documentary entitled Elvis Presley: The Searcher. Taking the viewer through the singer’s forty-two years in the space of three and a half hours, this is by necessity a picture painted in broad strokes but one which manages to tell the tale with reasonable accuracy and ample spirit.

It is structured similarly to Guralnick’s two-part written biography, using Presley’s army stint as a dividing line between his unprecedented rise and slow fall. Documentary writer Alan Light undoubtedly knows the intricacies but, when faced with time restrictions, was required to cut the finer points which must have been as infuriating for him as it is for the deep fans.

The genius of the documentary though, is in its decision to present Elvis Presley to all viewers in a new and unexpected fashion. For the devotees this is realised through the constant use of new film (professional and amateur) and studio outtakes: it keeps the faithful on their toes and creates the impression of seeing and hearing Elvis anew. This is why Zimny insisted on using the alternative Aloha, the handheld “Trilogy” and “Never Been to Spain”, the “Burning Love” rehearsal, the “If I Can Dream” outtake, the off-air segments from ’68, the non-masters of “Lonely Man”, “Hurt”, “Suspicious Minds”, “Loving You”, and even (I think) outtakes from “The Truth About Me”. It is a deliberate and clever approach which was much appreciated by this writer.

For the causal viewer the trip is just as surprising: it’s no accident that the first picture we have of Elvis after the titles is of the man himself in 1969 at his absolute physical peak dressed only in shorts diving into a swimming pool — This is Elvis? Really? Wow! Where’s the fat guy in a jumpsuit? There’s no “Jailhouse Rock”, no “The Wonder of You”, no “Crying In The Chapel”, no “Blue Suede Shoes”, and no a lot of other stuff too. This is partly to do with time restraints but it’s also a conscious decision to show the less-known and less-appreciated side of the story.

The film favours home movies and behind-the-scenes clips over super-glossy Hollywood celluloid in an attempt to remove the albatross of iconography from Presley’s story. The flickerflicker of an old-time projector is occasionally heard as it shows grainy film of Elvis relaxing or rehearsing in happier times, segueing into the sound of a playing card catching on bicycle spokes as a pre-teen dungareed Elvis rides around Tupelo and Memphis in a recreated scene, showing how even at a young age Elvis was searching — looking and listening for emotional connection through faith and through music, sometimes both at the same time. The bicycle rider acts as a motif for The Searcher and appears several times as a linking device.

Zimny also uses a number of other creative devices to tell the story. There are no talking heads, instead he relies upon dozens of audio interviews with relevant parties (family, friends, musicians, observers, writers, disciples). Most of these are well used, but the contributions of Red West and Tom Petty are outstanding and reek of integrity and wisdom; West as someone who knew Elvis inside out and Petty as a musician chased by the same demons as his hero.

There is considerable and understandable emphasis given to Presley’s early career, and Zimny takes great pains to demonstrate Elvis' absolute devotion to gospel and blues and to destroy any suggestion of cultural appropriation. It also clarifies just what is was that the young Elvis did — breaking down racial barriers through the use of music and performance, delivered with grace, excitement and sensuality, ushering in the modern cultural era. Actually, the production as a whole is beautifully and sensibly balanced allowing thirty minutes of air time for each of the six major musical phases of his life: Growing up in Tupelo and Memphis; Sun Records; The Rock ‘n’ Roll Years; The Early to mid-Sixties; The Comeback; The 1970s.

The anchor point for the production is the 1968 TV Special and the narrative jumps forwards and backwards to that show to illustrate or reinforce various points. It works for the most part and even when it doesn’t, the joy of seeing Elvis at the apex of his powers justifies its use.

There are echoes of Presley’s long-rumoured autobiography, Through My Eyes, when the camera slowly zooms in on photographic portraits, and there are several poignant moments as we are allowed to wander Graceland like Marc Cohn’s ghost of Elvis, looking at the knick-knacks, furniture and ephemera — we can look but we can’t touch, and it’s surprisingly moving. Actually, there were a number of points that stirred me, among them being the time the young Elvis talked about the material gifts he’d been able to buy his parents (in that moment one can hear 100% the reason he was so driven during the mid-50s); Petty’s heart-breaking summation of Elvis’ decline (“I think he just gave up”); and the sight of the Searcher’s rusty old bicycle, dismantled and chained up at the back of a dark garage — unused and unwanted, signifying the stagnation of Presley’s creative impulse.

There’ll be talk of it not being as detailed as The Beatles' Anthology, but Beatles fans might similarly complain that they don’t have as succinct and viewable a film as The Searcher. A casual fan might give three and a half hours, but not ten.

Elvis Presley: The Searcher is an enjoyable, honest, graceful and involving piece of work. Is it perfect? No. But find me a product that is.

It is aimed at the heart as much as the head and I can live with that, because that was where Presley did his best work.

For right or for wrong, the story will not be better told in my lifetime.

THE QUEST
0:00:00 — Prologue
0:00:48 ‘68 SPECIAL “TROUBLE / GUITAR MAN”
0:02:30 — “My Baby Left Me” (Titles)
0:03:47 — Early life
0:06:25 ‘68 SPECIAL “BABY, WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO”
0:07:41 — Gospel roots
0:11:00 — Blues roots
0:12:00 — Interlude “Tomorrow Is A Long Time” (Bicycle Rider)
0:13:00 — The Presleys in Memphis
0:16:00 — Elvis on Beale
0:19:30 — Elvis and gospel
0:21:30 — Elvis and music
0:22:30 — Sam Phillips and Sun

RAGS TO RICHES
0:26:00 — Elvis arrives at 706 Union
0:28:00 — July 5th 1954
0:30:20 ’68 SPECIAL “THAT’S ALL RIGHT”
0:31:36 — Elvis at Sun
0:51:45 — The Colonel
0:58:24 ’68 SPECIAL “BLUE CHRISTMAS”
1:00:38 — Elvis at RCA
1:05:00 ’68 SPECIAL “LAWDY, MISS CLAWDY”
1:06:00 — Elvis, television and controversy
1:19:00 — Elvis in Hollywood
1:25:00 — Graceland
1:28:00 — The army
1:31:45 — Interlude “Farther Along” (The death of Gladys)

VOYAGE AND RETURN
1:34:32 — Germany
1:42:50 — Interlude “Lonely Man” (Home)
1:46:34 — “Power of My Love” (Credits)
0:00:00 ’68 SPECIAL “GUITAR MAN”
0:01:40 — Interlude “Milky White Way” (The story so far)
0:03:05 — Return from Germany
0:05:00 — Back in the studio
0:06:00 — Elvis and Frank Sinatra
0:10:12 — Elvis Is Back!
0:17:30 — Return to Hollywood
0:20:45 — Graceland, II
0:23:00 — His Hand In Mine
0:25:45 — Hawaii

COMEDY
0:28:23 — Hollywood and the Colonel
0:36:36 — The Sixties happen
0:39:00 — Nashville ‘66
0:43:45 — The Sixties happen, II

REBIRTH
0:46:10 — ’68 Special
0:50:00 ’68 SPECIAL “BABY, WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO”
0:53:10 — Recording in Memphis again
0:56:00 — Las Vegas ‘69
1:02:10 — Boredom with Vegas
1:04:10 — Back on the road
1:07:00 — Bringing together all types of music
1:10:25 — The image vs the man
1:12:50 — Touring the world via satellite

TRAGEDY
1:16:30 — Life as Elvis takes its toll
1:18:00 — In the studio (“Burning Love” / “Separate Ways”)
1:22:00 — Touring and searching
1:24:50 — Graceland, III
1:30:00 — How should we close the show?
1:31:30 ’68 SPECIAL “IF I CAN DREAM”
1:35:20 — End credits

Source: FECC - https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101162

Smith also made a little video for The Searcher featuring the Bicycle Rider theme from Smile:

Elvis Presley: Bicycle Rider (The Searcher)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPLmJPdlT24

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 02:40:27 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2018, 08:13:46 AM »

I finished the second part and basically agree with the review you posted-I might have chosen different clips or included other short but revealing interviews-as you are aware guralnick mined a lot out of the short interview Elvis gave during the filming of on tour in 1972-in which he makes very clear his frustration during the movie years (it's on YouTube) but can't argue with what he did use. Clearly he chose not to dwell on the drugs too much-though they Are mentioned and avoided controversial topics like his broken friendship with red and the book published before his death that red had a hand in. The whole 1970 Nixon encounter is also skipped-but it's had enough coverage. I think he wisely kept it mostly about music
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2018, 09:31:53 AM »

Oh well.....

The 50th Anniversary of the Elvis Comeback Special
About the Show

We all know Elvis Presley as the "King of Rock 'n' Roll," but it was his '68 comeback special on NBC that truly secured his reign. In that one thrilling special, donning iconic black leather and performing some of his most unforgettable hits, Elvis reclaimed his glory and put himself back at the top of the charts. This season, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of that epic evening, an all-star group of music's superstars will pay tribute in Nashville, Tennessee, recreating the spectacle - even the staging - of that legendary night of song. In addition to the musical performances, we'll see rare Elvis footage, outtakes and interviews from those involved in the '68 comeback special, including Director Steve Binder. Whether you're a lifelong fan or just getting to know Elvis, this is an event not to be missed.

Two-hour special

Production Company
Ken Ehrlich Productions

Executive Producer
Ken Ehrlich ("The Grammy Awards," "Elton John: I'm Still Standing," "A Grammy Salute," "Sinatra 100: An All-Star Grammy Salute")

https://www.nbc.com/the-50th-anniversary-of-the-elvis-comeback-special?nbc=1

- Jack Rieley
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2018, 11:08:34 AM »

At first I wasn't a fan about this idea, but I've warmed up to it.  It's about time Elvis got one, on one condition, they use this as a lead-in to the actual Comeback Special itself.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »

At first I wasn't a fan about this idea, but I've warmed up to it. 

I haven't. I hate the idea, because it's gonaa be the same sh!t that these kind of events always are. Typical Nashville establishement crap. It's gonna be exactly like this, I'm sure, - including the stage - just stretched out to a longer time and filled with current stars, strutting around in black leather outfits and sexy dresses for the young ladies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pha-fsuPk_I

And probably LeAnn Rimes will also even be part of it. I also expect Lisa Marie singing a gospel-song from the - as I interprete the rumours - next RPO-like album that focuses on the gospel recordings and will have newly recorded background vocals by some of the gospel quartets that worked with Elvis and - I'm quite sure - also will have a "duet" of Lisa and Elvis.
I've said it before: With "The Searcher" there was finally a worthwhile effort to focus on Elvis as a musician/artist. Then they turn around and throw all of that promise the documentary has into a garbage ton with things like this and another ROP-like project that once again makes Elvis a product and brand. It's always the same. Much like the Beach Boys generally f*ck up every chance of dignity

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2018, 11:01:06 AM »

This sounds great:

Elvis Presley's '68 Comeback Special to Hit Movie Theaters This Summer
Release marks concert film's 50th annivesary

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/elvis-presleys-68-special-to-hit-movie-theaters-w520962

- Jack Rieley
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 01, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »

That's wonderful news. Looking forward to it!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2018, 05:11:09 AM »

Elvis Presley Hits to Movie Theaters Worldwide with Special 50th Anniversary Screening of Iconic 68 Comeback Special

Elvis Presley's legendary "'68 Comeback Special," directed and produced by Steve Binder, will hit the big screen this summer in celebration of its 50th anniversary. The two-day cinema event will take place across the globe on August 16, with an encore screening on August 20. Each screening will include the legendary television special, plus an exclusive look at the making of the special, featuring a walkthrough of the NBC soundstage with insights from Binder and others influenced by Presley, his music, and this iconic event. This brand new content is produced by Spencer Proffer, CEO of Meteor 17, and ABG's Marc Rosen, SVP of Entertainment.

Tickets for U.S. screenings of "ELVIS 50th Anniversary Comeback Special" can be purchased beginning Friday, June 15, 2018 at www.FathomEvents.com and participating theater box offices.

Fathom Events and ABG will present "ELVIS 50th Anniversary Comeback Special" in more than 500 select U.S. movie theaters on Thursday, August 16 and Monday, August 20 at 7:30 p.m. local time (both dates), through Fathom's Digital Broadcast Network (DBN). A complete list of U.S. theater locations will be available June 15 on the Fathom Events website (theaters and participants are subject to change). International cinema locations and ticket-on-sale dates will be announced at a later date.

"The '68 Comeback Special' embodies the spirit and talent of one of the most legendary artists in music history," said Steve Binder, director and producer of the special. "I hope that Elvis fans and music lovers everywhere will have an opportunity to immerse themselves in the world of the King through a unique yet personal lens captured in this content."

In celebration of the 50th anniversary of this legendary special, a new book by Steve Binder titled COMEBACK: The Making of the 1968 Elvis Specialdelves into the dynamic (and often intimate) performances by The King of Rock & Roll during the landmark "Comeback" NBC broadcast. The book features a dedication by Priscilla Presley and stunning catalog of iconic Elvis Presley imagery.

Originally airing on December 3, 1968, the "'68 Comeback Special" was Elvis Presley's first live television performance in seven years, which captured him playing with a full band in front of an intimate audience of diehard fans. As part of the special, Presley also pioneered the "Unplugged" performance style with an exclusive acoustic set. The soundtrack album went Top 10 following the special airing, shooting Presley back to the top of the singles charts months later with "In the Ghetto" and later in 1969, his first number one hit in seven years with "Suspicious Minds."

"We are thrilled to partner with ABG to bring such an iconic concert experience to theaters around the world this summer," Fathom Events CEO Ray Nutt said. "Elvis was a true musical genius, and it's exciting to share the talents of such a legend with moviegoers and fans everywhere."

"We are always looking to uncover fresh and exciting ways to share our content with fans through unique experiences," said Marc Rosen, SVP Entertainment of ABG. "Our new partnership with Fathom Events has provided us with an opportunity to take the cinematic experience to the next level, and we look forward to watching the excitement unfold."

Source: https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Elvis-Presley-Hits-to-Movie-Theaters-Worldwide-with-Special-50th-Anniversary-Screening-of-Iconic-68-Comeback-Special-20180611

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2018, 06:30:07 AM »

Elvis Comeback Special: Book & Extension Enterprises

Elvis Comeback Special director and producer, Steve Binder has partnered with Spencer and Meteor 17 to publish the definitive table top book on Binder’s making of the Special and all activities that led up to, were part of and happened, as a result of the landmark television event.

M17 long time art director, Hugh Syme (http://www.meteor17.com/hugh-syme/), designed the stunning look and feel of the 279 page collector’s item book which includes commentaries, interviews and never before seen memorabilia presented to Binder by both Elvis and Colonel Tom Parker. 

Grammy winning book manufacturing organization, Integrated Communications (http://icla.com), widely known for producing high quality limited edition collections for major music artists and companies (Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Universal Music Enterprises, Concord Music Group, and Warner Music Group) are handling the printing of the book, worldwide.

Here are a few prototype models of book packages that form the basis of our Elvis Comeback Book package:

https://www.rush.com/the-art-of-rush/
https://www.rushbackstage.com/rushbackstage/media-260/rush-sheet-music/art-of-rush-european-edition.html

JOHN LENNON BOOK BOX:  http://imaginepeace.com/archives/11806    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx7m5Rjj57U

BOB DYLAN BOOK BOX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EeMGkWAddsElvis Comeback Special director and producer, Steve Binder has partnered with Spencer and Meteor 17 to publish the definitive table top book on Binder’s making of the Special and all activities that led up to, were part of and happened, as a result of the landmark television event.

M17 long time art director, Hugh Syme (http://www.meteor17.com/hugh-syme/), designed the stunning look and feel of the 279 page collector’s item book which includes commentaries, interviews and never before seen memorabilia presented to Binder by both Elvis and Colonel Tom Parker. 

Grammy winning book manufacturing organization, Integrated Communications (http://icla.com), widely known for producing high quality limited edition collections for major music artists and companies (Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Universal Music Enterprises, Concord Music Group, and Warner Music Group) are handling the printing of the book, worldwide.

Here are a few prototype models of book packages that form the basis of our Elvis Comeback Book package:

https://www.rush.com/the-art-of-rush/
https://www.rushbackstage.com/rushbackstage/media-260/rush-sheet-music/art-of-rush-european-edition.html

JOHN LENNON BOOK BOX:  http://imaginepeace.com/archives/11806    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx7m5Rjj57U

BOB DYLAN BOOK BOX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EeMGkWAdds

To further propel the book, there will be a highly visible launch at Graceland in Memphis, August 2018 during Elvis week there. Binder will conduct a town hall forum and panel, followed by similar events at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland and The Paley Center, in both NYC and LA.

Following the book offering, on a special basis to Elvis fan clubs around the world, there will be podcasts about the Special, a one night theater event in over 800 AMC, REGAL & CINEMARK screens via Fathom Events in the top DMAs in America.   A spoken word version of the book via Amazon’s Audible division, narrated by Binder will follow. The audio book will will contain actual excerpts from the Special, woven in with Binder’s reading. 

Spencer and Steve plan to bring the book to life in a documentary, to be directed by M17's John Coltrane Chasing Trane talent, John Scheinfeld in 2019. It will center on the making of the Special and Binder’s role as director/producer,teaming up with Elvis in a true buddy story that helped inform the course of pop music history.  The doc will highlight Steve's interface on the production process with Elvis and NBC to accomplish an evergreen and lauded result.

Binder has the most unique and informed perspective on how this landmark show was made and the events which transpired during production.  Elvis bravely stood up and supported Binder in order to have the Special completed and broadcast.  The success of this Comeback show propelled the course of Elvis' life and career.

This never before told perspective will be at the heart of our documentary.  Our film will enlighten and inform Elvis fans throughout the world with a behind the scenes look at this seminal moment of pop music media history.

Before the Book  becomes available to the general public through traditional retail outlets, the team will offer the book, DVD of the Special and other never before available items, through Elvis fan clubs around the world followed by a heavily promoted home shopping campaign.

Here is a recent article from Rolling Stone Magazine highlighting the importance to Elvis' career of this iconic Comeback show, directed and produced by Steve Binder.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/inside-elvis-presleys-legendary-1968-comeback-special-w477303?utm_source=rsnewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=daily&utm_campaign=081617_11

Source: http://www.meteor17.com/elvis-comeback-special/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2018, 04:57:48 AM »

D. J. Fontana passed away. See this topic:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25969.0.html

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2018, 04:48:43 AM »

So, tickets for the '68 Comeback Special event are on sale now, I believe.

Iconic Television Special starring singer Elvis Presley, originally aired on December 3, 1968. It marked Elvis Presley’s return to live performance and re-launched Presley’s singing career.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/elvis-68-comeback-special?date=2018-08-16%2000:00:00.000

Fathom Events, ABG and Cineplex Events are thrilled to bring the Elvis ’68 Comeback Special to the big screen in celebration of the special’s 50th Anniversary for a special cinema event starting on August 16! See the iconic television special starring singer Elvis Presley, that originally aired on December 3, 1968. It marked Elvis Presley’s return to live performance and re-launched his singing career. This anniversary event includes the legendary television special, plus an exclusive look at the making of the special, featuring a walkthrough of the NBC soundstage with insights from producer Steve Binder and Priscilla Presley.

https://www.cineplex.com/Movie/elvis-68-comeback-special

- Jack Rieley
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2018, 05:53:11 AM »

Thanks for the reminder so we can get tickets. There are 3 theaters in New Orleans showing this. Hopefully there will be good coverage elsewhere.

Rocker, will you be able to see this?

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2018, 06:18:45 AM »

Rocker, will you be able to see this?

I don't think such an event will be held over here in Germany. But I own the 3-DVD set from ca. 2004 so I have the footage.  Smiley

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx