gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:18:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Hall & Oates  (Read 4666 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2023, 01:45:11 AM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/daryl-hall-restraining-order-john-oates-legal-battle-nashville/

Good lord. 

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 07:26:33 PM »

Randy Bachman is currently touring as Bachman Turner Overdrive - without Fred Turner, or any other former members of BTO.
Will Daryl tour as Hall & Oates?  LOL
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 04:07:54 PM »

More details have thankfully come out to clarify all of this:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/hall-oates-restraining-order-mystery-011316111.html

Just to editorialize a bit and bash the press a little more, the use of the term "restraining order" in the initial headlines had me thinking Hall filed such a thing in order to keep Oates away from him physically, as if there were a threat or Oates was acting hostile toward him...and those headlines were misleading, obviously. Oates wants to sell his share of the song catalog to the company already managing their rights, as many other "legacy" artists are doing, and Hall is challenging Oates' right to do that under the terms of their partnership agreements as outlined in various contracts. Hall's filing also mentions (if not depends on) a claim that Oates allowed that company to read and review the H&O business partnership contracts which Hall claims violated a confidentiality clause written into the partnership.

So it's sad, but I guess you can either think Oates has a right to sell his part of the business to the larger company, or he doesn't and is bound by the partnership agreements and both partners have to agree to any sales.

With this fresh in the news, it makes me think it was something of a miracle that the four main voting "partners" in Brother could agree to such a sale of the Beach Boys' song catalog considering the past history of 2 to 2 votes in that company.  

And I'm also thinking about how all of these mega-sales of artists' catalogs to large and often newer parent companies will play out over the next 20 years as those catalogs could potentially lose more and more clout as the legacy artists who sold their catalogs and cashed out could potentially fall off the radar of popular culture just as has happened with "oldies" music now being from the 80's and 90's. Is it a good investment or is there something else going on?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 04:09:12 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 02:45:11 AM »

I don't have the answers, but there's something about it I don't like. It just seems like another instance of more power going to a couple of huge monopolies. It's bad enough that there only a couple of major labels now.
I just watched Hall's chat with Bill Maher, and there was something going on there. Hall didn't even attempt to hide his dislike of Oates. I get it. Years ago, someone - RCA, management, maybe Hall himself - decided he was the star of the group, and pushed for him to be the dominant voice - the lead singer on all the singles, the main songwriter, etc. In the early days, Oates had several lead vocals chosen as singles; wrote maybe 40% of the material; but after the success of "Kiss On My List", it was all Hall, Hall, Hall, Hall. Yet Oates never complained - at least not publicly. Now it's Hall, oddly enough, complaining; complaining that "it sucks being a duo", moaning that he doesn't get enough recognition for his incredible voice, writing, etc. Poor boy.
It's the Everly Brothers all over again.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 09:50:12 PM »

Randy Bachman is currently touring as Bachman Turner Overdrive - without Fred Turner, or any other former members of BTO.

Really? Last I knew, Fred, Rob Bachman, and Blair Thornton were BTO, with a guy named Randy Murray playing Randy Bachman's parts, and that Fred and Randy also briefly toured as just "Bachman-Turner".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
ExUpstairsCaptain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 03:46:31 PM »

Really? Last I knew, Fred, Rob Bachman, and Blair Thornton were BTO, with a guy named Randy Murray playing Randy Bachman's parts, and that Fred and Randy also briefly toured as just "Bachman-Turner".

I'm just finding out about this. it's somewhat surprising, considering "Turner" is in the band's name, but that group has a complicated enough history as it is and the other "legacy members" are onboard with it, which I assume was key to making Randy's BTO tour happen. I think this is just going to be reality for a lot of older groups moving forward. After all, Lynyrd Skynyrd is still touring without any "classic" members, all but one of whom (non-founding drummer Artimus Pyle) have died. It's weird, but as long as audiences understand what they're paying for ahead of time, I can't really complain about it.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx