gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:10:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will there ever be a Jan and Dean box set?  (Read 4650 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »

I'm in the process of plowing through Mark Moore's excellent day-by-day Jan and Dean book, and it's noted that Jan had possession of loads of acetates of unreleased songs at the time of his death. Is any record company prepared to put together a comprehensive (and mostly mono, please) box set with the hits, album tracks and unreleased gems?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 10:46:34 AM »

Well, who knows...

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25076.msg609615.html#msg609615

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 11:31:34 AM »

THANK YOU!

I brought this up on the J&D forum, and I think they really deserve their own boxset... My vision for it would be....

Section 1: Complete discography. (Doo Wop years, Surf/Hit years, Post-Accident years, and Phase II years)
Section 2 : Alternate versions, Outtakes, Live...

I just can't decide if I would like Jan's original mono mixes or maybe 2017 stereo remixes... Or maybe both???

Anyway, I just really think J&D deserve a comprehensive box set, with all of their material, in good quality.

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 11:50:45 AM »

I'd love to see a legit release of Filet of Soul someday.

Something else on my wish list would be a complete mono singles VOL. 3 - covering the J&D, WB and UA/Legendary Masked Surfers tracks between 1966-1976.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:54:21 AM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »

I hope so. And more  live stuff please
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 09:25:45 AM »

A proper release of Filet Of Soul would be amazing!  Smokin Smokin Smokin
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 03:27:43 PM »

I'm in the process of plowing through Mark Moore's excellent day-by-day Jan and Dean book, and it's noted that Jan had possession of loads of acetates of unreleased songs at the time of his death. Is any record company prepared to put together a comprehensive (and mostly mono, please) box set with the hits, album tracks and unreleased gems?

Truthfully...would their be enough 'demand' to even come close to paying for even 25% of what it would cost to prepare such a release?  I was a real Jan and Dean fan.  [Well Jan anyway.]  I owned a bunch of their releases.  Not sure I'd buy the box set...or really listen to it more than once if I did.  I don't think there are enough possible/potential consumers to make it even a mere consideration.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 07:28:45 PM »

personally,  nice remastered/remixed CD's of their catalog with decent bonus tracks added would be a deal I'd be happy with... you know, like real stereo? not duophonic... decent liner notes, maybe a essay or two... a box set might indeed be a bit out of reach.... Smokin

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 01:50:51 PM »

Truthfully...would their be enough 'demand' to even come close to paying for even 25% of what it would cost to prepare such a release?  I was a real Jan and Dean fan.  [Well Jan anyway.]  I owned a bunch of their releases.  Not sure I'd buy the box set...or really listen to it more than once if I did.  I don't think there are enough possible/potential consumers to make it even a mere consideration.

I'd been meaning to post on this topic but I kept getting distracted....but yeah Add Some pretty much nailed it on the head. I don't think there is enough demand for Jan and Dean product out there. Why that is, I can't say? Maybe it's the abundance of half assed "Jan and Dean" compilations that are actually Dean Torrence solo recordings under the name "Jan and Dean." Maybe it's just the fact that they didn't really make it out of that early '60s era in the public's mind like other groups (Beach Boys, Beatles) did. Maybe it's that, while they had some great singles, none of their albums were truly all great stuff. Maybe it's a combination. But I just will say it's odd how pop culture has kinda forgotten Jan and Dean.

But now on the idea that they could get a box set or even just a nice double disc compilation, there are quite a few things  I would like to see. I would like to see the version of "Louisiana Man" that Jan started and Dean finished finally get reissued. Maybe put both "Summertime, Summertime" as released in both the versions by "Our Gang" and also "Jan & Dean" as they are both different. Also getting the actual 1967 version of "Vegetables" by The Laughing Gravy would be cool. And it wouldn't hurt if all of Jan's previously released 1970s work could finally get a release beyond the Fun City CDr and digital release.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 06:38:09 AM »

If Sunshine Tomorrow has gotten to the top of Amazon, anything is possible.  LOL

I just think that even though there is little demand for J&D music, they did so much for music, and Jan worked so hard--- they deserve a high quality box set.

Also, I think J&D made plenty of great albums. Drag City, Ride The Wild Surf, Little Old Lady (From Pasadena), Save For A Rainy Day, and Carnival of Sound are all really amazing albums in my opinion. 
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »

<<I'd be happy with... you know, like real stereo?>>

All of Jan's productions were mixed in "real stereo" back in the day.  The mono mixes were done first but he personally supervised and directed the stereo mixes for every single and album up until the accident.  No need for "new" stereo mixes to be created.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »

<<I'd be happy with... you know, like real stereo?>>

All of Jan's productions were mixed in "real stereo" back in the day.  The mono mixes were done first but he personally supervised and directed the stereo mixes for every single and album up until the accident.  No need for "new" stereo mixes to be created.

Guess I'm corrected... sadly most of my J&D is mono...

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 12:29:11 PM »

<<Guess I'm corrected... sadly most of my J&D is mono...>>

Jan's stereo mixes roar like finely tuned race cars.  I'd recommend, in no particular order, Ride the Wild Surf, Horace the Swingin' School Bus Driver, Anaheim, Azuza, Drag City, Hot Stocker.  Freeway Flyer, My Mighty GTO, Bucket T,  Quasimoto, Walk on the Wet Side, Little Old Lady, Fan Tan and Love & Hate.

From a big band perspective, the Command Performance live versions of Surf City, I Should Have Known Better and Louie, Louie also sound incredible in stereo.

The only set that, in my view, could use a remix, is Folk & Roll.  The stereo version is largely split track... vocals on one channel and most of the track on the other.   
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »

Speaking of stereo, what do you all think of the stereo remixes on that Legendary Masters CD from 1990? Dean seemed to prefer those to the original stereo, from what I remember in the liners.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 10:08:34 AM »

Coming in September! Smokin  Smokin  Smokin http://bestclassicbands.com/jan-dean-filet-soul-6-26-17/

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 01:24:40 PM »

Coming in September! Smokin  Smokin  Smokin http://bestclassicbands.com/jan-dean-filet-soul-6-26-17/

YES!!!  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Shocked Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 10:49:55 PM »

nice... Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: