gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:46:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oh Darlin' vs It's Gettin' Late  (Read 5408 times)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2017, 12:47:18 PM »

I would be curious to know your preference.
Reason for comparison being that they both occupy the second slot on their respective LP's; the only two full studio albums of the '80's by the band. Both Carl leads, with similar tempo and length.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:28:17 AM by Juice Brohnston » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 01:36:21 PM »

It's Getting Late
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 01:45:13 PM »

I like both, but will go with "It's Getting Late" -- love Carl's emotion in that one.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »

Oh Darlin'

Every wave is new until it breaks.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 02:07:39 PM »

It's Getting Late. I hate Oh Darlin' (although the version with Brian's lead is much better IMHO)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Scaroline No
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 03:14:37 PM »

Oh Darlin' by a million miles. Although I admit It's Gettin' Late has its sporadic charms.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:15:34 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 08:28:03 PM »

Oh Darlin'.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 08:58:44 PM »

Odd pairing of songs, but as for my choice I'm goin' with "It's Gettin' Late" by a mile. Honestly, if pushed properly I think songs like this and "Where I Belong" coulda been soul-pop hits like some of Steve Winwood's stuff. And no, that's not a diss towards Carl's songwriting. "Oh Darlin'" on the other hand, might be the most boring Wilson-Love co-write I've ever heard. It just is so workmanlike in a bad way. And Carl's vocals are so draggy. And then there's Bruce's cheesy "God Only Knows" callback near the end. Just a total faceplant. Now, just as others have mentioned before, the version with a Brian lead vocal is actually a bit better, and that is surprising cuz usually when it's a post '75 Brian vocal versus a post '75 Carl vocal, one would think Carl would usually win out most of the time. But not this time. Brian's vocal just has so much more, depth, grit....everything.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 12:15:13 AM »

Brian's roughness gives the song an edge it otherwise lacked.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 12:19:21 AM »

Neither are standout songs, but between the two, I prefer It's Gettin' Late.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 01:57:16 AM »

It's Getting Late is actually one of my favorite Beach Boys songs.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 06:01:45 AM »

It's Getting Late.

And I love Passing Friend.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 07:58:21 AM »

I prefer Oh Darlin', because the Brian version compensates for the slight staleness of the released version. Unfortunately, I find it difficult to listen to most of the 1985 album, with the exceptions of Getcha Back and Male Ego.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 09:06:54 AM »

I'd probably have to go with Oh Darlin. Love the vocals on the chorus.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 10:31:55 AM »

It's Gettin' Late.  And the title is It's Gettin' Late, not getting. Sorry....

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 11:10:35 AM »

"Oh Darlin'" on the other hand, might be the most boring Wilson-Love co-write I've ever heard. It just is so workmanlike in a bad way. And Carl's vocals are so draggy. And then there's Bruce's cheesy "God Only Knows" callback near the end. Just a total faceplant.

This. 

Though the Wilson-Love "When Girls Get Together" is probably just as boring.  Same album, too.  Hmm.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:11:27 AM by adamghost » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 11:17:03 AM »

I prefer Oh Darlin', because the Brian version compensates for the slight staleness of the released version. Unfortunately, I find it difficult to listen to most of the 1985 album, with the exceptions of Getcha Back and Male Ego.

Is it the processed sound?

IMHO the '80s have a lot to answer for.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 11:18:43 AM »

Like Kokomo? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 12:37:24 PM »

The poor songwriting and Brian's ragged voice hurt the 1985 album a lot.  Mike Love's vocals are lacking as well.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 01:09:24 PM »

"Oh Darlin'" on the other hand, might be the most boring Wilson-Love co-write I've ever heard. It just is so workmanlike in a bad way. And Carl's vocals are so draggy. And then there's Bruce's cheesy "God Only Knows" callback near the end. Just a total faceplant.

This.  

Though the Wilson-Love "When Girls Get Together" is probably just as boring.  Same album, too.  Hmm.

I totally agree about the Bruce GOK callback being pretty cheesy in Oh Darlin'... unlike, say Carl's swooping wordless vocal callback to You Still Believe in Me at the end of Brian's Back from the same time period, which in my opinion is an unexpectedly heavenly part in an otherwise very cheesy, if well-intended song.

As relatively humdrum as Oh Darlin' is overall, I think it's LEAPS AND BOUNDS more enjoyable to listen to than When Girls Get Together. Gawd I don't like that song. I kinda dig Mike's bridge and the unexpected melody that the song takes there in Oh Darlin'. Overall it's an ok, somewhat mediocre song.

That said, I like It's Gettin' Late a lot better than Oh Darlin'. It's just a really passionate vocal from Carl, as is the case with the entire BB85 album. Carl at top form, despite the songs not being of an overall caliber worthy of his godlike voice.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:10:25 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 12:42:23 PM »

This.  

Though the Wilson-Love "When Girls Get Together" is probably just as boring.  Same album, too.  Hmm.

I totally agree about the Bruce GOK callback being pretty cheesy in Oh Darlin'... unlike, say Carl's swooping wordless vocal callback to You Still Believe in Me at the end of Brian's Back from the same time period, which in my opinion is an unexpectedly heavenly part in an otherwise very cheesy, if well-intended song.

While the audio quality would probably be middling at best, if you seek out the 1980 "Going Platinum" TV special, the mix they used of "Oh, Darlin'" was apparently an early mix that was missing some later overdubs, so Bruce's "god only knows" bit is missing on that mix.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 02:44:02 PM »

I like them both. Neither is a classic. Like many others, I prefer Brian's early version of Oh Darlin' over what ended up on the album. I've always had a soft spot for BB85 and I really like some of Carl's songwriting on that one and L.A. Light. It's Gettin' Late is a nice song and Brian's among the background vocalists, right?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 06:15:10 PM »

This.  

While the audio quality would probably be middling at best, if you seek out the 1980 "Going Platinum" TV special, the mix they used of "Oh, Darlin'" was apparently an early mix that was missing some later overdubs, so Bruce's "god only knows" bit is missing on that mix.

Very interesting... thanks for the tip! I suppose it was a well-intended part of the song, but coming on the heels of Kona Coast and Brian's Back, it was really getting silly and overdone.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »

I've always thought "Oh Darlin'" has a really good composition and elements of an arrangement buried under a kind of clunky, cheesy arrangement. In particular, I've always loved the atypical (for the BBs, especially for the KTSA album) dissonant bridge backing vocals under Mike's lead.

"It's Gettin' Late" is a better overall presentation; a good song with good (if somewhat 80s-ish) production and arrangement.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 11:38:15 PM »

"It's Gettin' Late" by a mile - although I would have preferred guitars to synths. The song itself is similar to "Of The Times" from "Youngblood"; I like Jeff Baxter's production of the latter much more than Steve Levine's production of the former. I realize they were trying to be "with the times" with all the synths and drum machines, but....I wonder if there is a decent live recording of this one? When I saw the group in concert that summer, Carl was absent.  Angry
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx