gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:46:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking For Mike Love Quote  (Read 1284 times)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2017, 05:23:39 AM »

I believe it was on one of the relatively new releases where there is audio of Mike saying (heavily paraphrased) how Brian could hear all the parts in his head. It was all they could do to learn their one part. These parts were hard parts - they were all over the place too. He was very gifted that way. Still is.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 05:52:36 AM »

Is this it? All or some of it is quoted in Becoming the Beach Boys, as note 41:

“The Four Freshmen are the best vocal harmony group there ever was,” recalled Mike Love. “When we came along we patterned them. Brian was like a disciple of theirs. He would come home from school and go right to the piano and play these Four Freshmen songs he had learned how to arrange. He would memorize them in his mind which, of course, has an infinite capacity for music, and he would deal out parts to us. It never ceased to amaze me. It would be hard to grasp one part, yet he’d have all four parts in his head. He’d deal them out to us and we’d learn the parts and then sing them together.”

The original source is given here (I can't access it myself):

https://books.google.nl/books?id=273eCQAAQBAJ&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=%22It+would+be+hard+to+grasp+one+part,+yet+he%27d+have+all+four+parts+in+his+head.%22&source=bl&ots=PCKPS2UkKt&sig=EfAMBpDkTukb36A8v2Qn2lLPDCU&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=%22It%20would%20be%20hard%20to%20grasp%20one%20part%2C%20yet%20he'd%20have%20all%20four%20parts%20in%20his%20head.%22&f=false

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 06:05:17 AM »

No, it is a track on one of the CD releases. It might be Hawthorne - I cannot find my CD's right now. Maybe I left them in the Jeep. It was a brief track where Mike discussed Brian's abilities. I think I hit most of the major ideas in the first post, but I am going crazy trying to find it. I wanted to add it to the Mike Love quote thread to bring some positivity  Smiley  I think it is a great quote from Mike.

Edit: Found it. It was track 4 on CD1 from the Hawthorne, CA CD
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:17:33 AM by Rick5150 » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 06:29:50 AM »

I wanted to add it to the Mike Love quote thread to bring some positivity  Smiley  

Good call! As you say, a great quote. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 05:38:11 PM »

He says the same in the Endless Harmony documentary. Was the audio mentioned originally from that?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 05:38:38 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx