gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:10:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Mike Love Quotes  (Read 18152 times)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2017, 03:01:01 PM »

There are other recurring issues, myths that he feels entitled to debunk. Like the fact the he is still blamed for opposing Pet Sounds. If that ain't true, and keeps being repeated, he has a right to clarify things even if it's a lost battle among some.

There's quite a bit of evidence to support Mike's not liking Pet Sounds, isn't there?  Calling it Brian's "ego music" and the infamous "don't f*** with the formula" was concerning Pet Sounds, wasn't it?  I suspect Mike resisted at first but eventually came around and was supportive of it, as when he went to Capital with Brian to present them with the album.  Now he just conveniently forgets his initial misgivings about the project. 
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2017, 06:24:46 AM »

Mike Love:

"When we were learning an arrangement of a song - first of all, Brian would live with it for a while. He'd sit at the piano and he would deal all the different parts. He would teach me a bass part - he would sing the melody... or else the high falsetto part... but he would have all the parts in his mind. I mean, intricate parts too. Like when we learned Their Hearts Were Full of Spring by The Four Freshmen, that was their arrangement. And he had all the parts in his head... and they were hard parts - they were moving all over the place. It was all you could do to learn your one part, but he'd have four of them in his head. That always blew my mind that Brian had that capacity - that ability to hear all those parts simultaneously and be able to deal them out to the different individuals who could handle that range. He was quite gifted in that way. Still is, actually..."

From the Hawthorne, CA compact disk. Disk 1 track 4
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:25:54 AM by Rick5150 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx