gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:43:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Today I found the Holy Grail...  (Read 4153 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2006, 05:10:33 AM »

I went to a tiny little record market today to see if they had any good bootleg CDs... Then I saw someone holding the record that's been #1 on my wantlist for years... Pacific Ocean Blue by Dennis Wilson... I asked if he was going to buy it, and he said "I'm not sure, it's not even the right Wilson".  Shocked So I said I really really really wanted that album badly, and he said I could have it...

So now I've got a perfect copy of the POB LP and it costed me SEVEN EUROS!!!  Grin
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 09:55:44 AM »

Which is more rare, the vinyl or the CD?

Which is more valuable?

(I purchased the vinyl new back when it came out. Got the CD used not long after it came out.)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 12:03:35 AM »

The CD is much, much rarer - I don't know about the US, but here in the UK it was on sale for, like, five minutes. Maybe ten.  Razz

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 12:48:41 AM »

Great find!

However I bought mine for even less: 5 euro! Together with another hard to find cd: David Crosby's If I Only Could Remember My Name. Also 5 euro.

Some people don't know what they're selling.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 12:56:45 AM »

I remember passing up on Dennis' CD as well as 10 Years Of Harmony because I thought they were going to stay in print alot longer than they did. I bought TYOH at a specialty store in 1995 for $35 !!! I have since had two different collectors give me copies (not even as part of any trades). Another collector gave me a UK issue of Dennis' CD as well. It's high time CBS re-issue the CD.

I've got a buttload of promo LPs of his album, but nothing to play them on. Gotta get a new turntable someday!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 02:11:02 AM »

Some people don't know what they're selling.

And thank God for that.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 02:44:08 AM »

Knock yourself out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dennis-Wilson-Pacific-Ocean-Blue-OOP-cd-Rare_W0QQitemZ320014408335QQihZ011QQcategoryZ307QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or LP

http://cgi.ebay.com/DENNIS-WILSON-PACIFIC-OCEAN-BLUE-ORIG-LP-Beach-Boys_W0QQitemZ200013637998QQihZ010QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 02:45:57 AM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 07:18:06 AM »

petsite said he had a lot of promo copies of pob.  Funny thing, I have two promo LP's .  There must have been some very active promotion of this album at the time of the original release.

I paid around 10.00 dollars several years ago for a copy.  Then, within weeks, while going thru a mountain of used lps in a flea market, I stumbled onto another copy....this time for 50 Cents.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 08:14:40 AM »

donald, where did you find your POB copies? in Huntington? if so, are there any left? I really want to own a copy of POB

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 09:07:56 AM »

The CD is much, much rarer - I don't know about the US, but here in the UK it was on sale for, like, five minutes. Maybe ten.  Razz

Even though the CD is rarer, and it is...if you want to actually listen to POB the vinyl is much better. The CD is a crappy master job.

There are a lot of Promo copies of this LP because they did a ton of promotion. Dennis did a lot of radio interviews too. There were print ads in the trades and rock press, and even radio ads. Ed Roach got to shoot a promo film too. Basically CBS went all out, and the first pressing of 200,000 plus sold out in just a few months...and then they never re-pressed. Very strange. I heard a few conspiracy theories from Karen Lamm,  Jim Guercio and others when I was writing my book...but none of them really made any sense to me.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 10:07:24 AM »

OMP , I just happened onto those two.  Pure coincidence.  Its been along time since I last saw one for sale.  I might be persuaded to swap one for a nice, clean  original studio copy of 20/20 with the eye chart or a nice clean ccpy with VG cover of CATP, original release with Petsounds.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 12:25:09 PM »

Years ago -- over ten years ago -- someone mailed me a catalog he got that had POB on CD listed in it. By the time I ordered it, they told me they didn't have it -- or ANY CDs -- any more, as they were going all-vinyl. Man, what a let down.

About ten minutes later the guy called me back. He said they happened to find an extra POB left over on CD, and I could have it - for NINE BUCKS!   Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana

That was the only Pacific Ocean Blue I've ever seen for sale....ever....except for a promo copy on vinyl that I saw at Beatlefest a couple of years ago, for $25. Like a major dumbass, I passed it up.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 01:32:21 PM »

I have the POB album in excellent condition and have tried to sell it several times with little interest.  I happen to own the CD as well.

If someone wants to buy this album from me, drop me a line.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 02:10:12 PM »

I think I have at least one extra white label promo and one extra stock copy of the LP; I recently outgrew my music room and had to move my spare LPs to an offsite climate-controlled storage facility, so I can't be sure until I check the storage unit, but if anyone is interested PM me.

I have a still-sealed stock U.S. copy of the LP, and a still-sealed 8-track tape!  I agree that white label promos seem to be more prevalent than stock copies of the LP.  But the rarest version of the LP is the "Advance Promo" that was issued in a plain white jacket before the cover was printed.  The jacket had a pre-printed hand-written note from Dennis saying something to the tune of "Dear __________:  This is my first solo album, I hope you'll play it.  Drop me a note c/o Brother Records if you like it."  Dennis then personally filled in the name of the DJ/reviewer, and signed it below the note.  Those are EXTREMELY rare.

Lee
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx