gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:38:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This week in BB History May 26 to June 5  (Read 4990 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2017, 05:20:29 PM »

June 2, 1962-the BBs made the first of several appearances at the Teen Club in Azusa, CA. May 26 1963 the BBs performed at Inglewood High School. Dave Marks was still in the band but Brian had brought Al back into the fold as his own occasional replacement on the road. It's possible Al played in his place.  On May 29 1963 the BBs played at Bellflower High School.  The Marks' diary suggests that the BBs played a mini-tour with Jan and Dean at San Bernardino, San Francisco and Oxnard in the days that followed. If they did play these shows none were advertised in the local papers.

Probably on June 1 1963 the BBs played at the Dance Hall in Rio Nido, CA. A young girl named Sharon Marie was introduced to the BBs and Brian and Mike took a liking to her. Within a short time, Brian would produce a single ("Run Around Lover") for her.  Her second and last single "Story of My Life" was released on June 1 1964.  That same day a single that Brian produced for Gary Usher "Sacramento" was also released.  Neither record charted.  Brian never succeeded in achieving much success as a producer outside the BBs, though not from lack of trying.

May 27 and 28 1965-the BBs worked on "Let Him Run Wild" They then headed out on the road for shows with Glen Campbell and Dick and Dee-Dee in Reno (28) Salt Lake City (29) Denver (30) and Oklahoma City (May 31).  Brian was at Columbia on June 1 1965 to work on "Summer Means New Love" June 4 1965-There is some debate as to this date but this appears to be the day that vocals were completed at Columbia on California Girls and Let Him Run Wild.  May 27 and June 2 1966 the BBs continued work on the track for Good Vibrations.

June 3 1967 the BBs began work on Smiley Smile at Hollywood Sound Recorders. They began a completely redone version of the Smile tune Vegetables.  On June 5 1967 they were at United Studios to work on With Me Tonight. The track was then taken over to Western for further recording that night, along with Vegetables.  Bruce was still in Europe and did not take part in these sessions.  Indeed he seems to have not taken part in any of the summer sessions for Smiley Smile.  He later said that it had "all gotten too wierd." Clearly there was a bit of tension in the band at this time.

May 26 1968-the BBs began work on Do It Again. At this same session they also recorded the exquisite fragment of Walk On By and worked on Brian's current obsession-Old Folks At Home, Ol Man River. On May 27 and 29 1968-they laid down the track for We’re Together Again. June 3 1968
they taped the unreleased Well You Know I Knew. It's clear that at some point around this time they also recorded the infamous Manson tapes as well as recounted by Stephen Desper.  On June 4 1968 they worked on Brian's I Went To Sleep and on June 6 they returned to Do It Again (Vocals on May 26 Recording).

May 26 1969-the BBs were at Brother Studios without Brian to record Song Intros for a radio special they were doing.  The next day Brian held a press Conference at his home, where he discussed the groups’ money problems, angering the other members who would have preferred not to have the matter aired as they embarked on a European tour. The BBs flew to London on May 29 1969. Vic Kettles film crew again filmed them on this tour.  Kettles filmed a portion of the BBs tour-opening concert at the Brighton Dome on May 30.  A clip of the group performing Buffalo Springfield’s “Rock and Roll Woman” was used in American Band, though the producers of that film mislabeled the footage as 1968.  They played the Hammersmith Odeon on May 31 and then headed to the Netherlands to play in Rotterdam and Amsterdam.  There is a nice photo from this day in my book.  On June 2 they taped The Raiders and The Beach Boys TV Special in Amsterdam- They mimed to Good Vibrations, Breakaway, I Can Hear Music and Cotton Fields.  Instead of wearing their stage clothes, Bruce wore a black leather jacket, a hatless Mike, wore a dark full-length suit, Carl wore a blazer and t-shirt, Dennis wore a striped shirt and Al sported a tan coat and pants. 

The BBs were in Brussels in June 3.  They definitely taped a TV show there called Vibrato for BRT TV.  Not 100% sure that they played an actual concert-though I did list the show that Badman claimed occurred in my book.  I never did find any actual proof that one occurred-maybe a Belgian fan will supply some documentation to me one day! If there is a Belgian poster on the board maybe they can uncover details.  Jun 4 1969-The BBs taped an app on the Beat Club TV Show in Bremen, Germany- Miming Breakaway and Surfin USA.

May 28 1971 Steve Desper produced a Flame session for their unreleased second album. They recorded Mother of the Century and High Overhead. Carl was probably present.   On Jun 3 1971 the BBs worked on Disney Girls
May 27, 1972 the Bbs played the Royal Festival Hall in London. On May 28 they were at the Great Western Express Festival in Bardney.  They headed back to London and performed “You Need a Mess of Help” for Top of the Pops on May 31.  June 3 1972-the BBs taped the TV special Good Vibrations from London for NBC TV at the Crystal Palace Bowl in London, with David Blue, Joe Cocker, Melanie, Richie Havens and Sha Na Na. Keith Moon who drummed along a bit during the BBs set hosted it. The TV special showed the Beach Boys performing ‘Do It Again’, ‘Wild Honey’, and ‘Help Me Rhonda.’  During the latter number, Elton John made an unannounced guest appearance on piano.  For the benefit of the TV crews, all the acts had performed a full dress rehearsal on June 2.

June 4 1973-Murry died in LA. Rather than attend the funeral, Brian flew to NY with Dianne Rovell and appeared on WNEW radio. This interview is on Youtube.  Brian discusses visiting the Zoo and hypes American Spring’s single “Shyin Away.”

May 29 1975-Brian was at RCA Studios to produce the California Music version of Why Do Fools Fall In Love. He also recorded Ding Dang and Money Honey.  Around this same period Brian sang on Johnny Rivers’ cover of Help Me Rhonda and on Jackie De Shannon’s song Boat to Sail. May 31 1975 the BBs played a “Beachago” show at the Municipal Auditorium in Cleveland. The BBs had flown in on May 30 and Carl acted as a guest DJ on WMMS that night.  June 1-5 they played a legendary run of Beachago shows in Chicago.  June 1 1977 Dennis held a session for the haunting “Cocktails”. On June 3 Brian’s Shortening Bread got a horn overdub

May 27 1978- Mike Love and Celebration performed a free show at Volunteer Park in Seattle.  May 28 1978-Celebration gave a morning performance in the San Fernando Valley and then the BBs played at the Day on the Green at Oakland Stadium with Linda Rondstadt and Dolly Parton. PM Magazine was there to film part of it for a segment called “The Beach Boys: The Tension Behind the Music,” The show also featured brief interviews with an extremely lucid but clearly uncomfortable Brian, as well as Carl and Mike.  One particularly interesting exchange took place when Brian was asked about difficulties with songwriting he was having, to which he replied, “Well I used to sit down and try to come up with a concept first and then build around a concept. You know conceptual and I’ve even had trouble doing that in the last couple of years.” The interviewer replied, “Really it’s just not there when you reach back for it?” “No it sometimes takes quite awhile.  More than it used to take.” “What do you suppose is the reason for that?” “I don’t know. I think subject matter is scarce. I am not as attuned at coming up with the subject matter as I used to be.  Because of course we used to have trends that we could write on and now we have no trends.” “Back then, in the old days, you wrote about what you knew growing up like surfing and cars and girls.” “Yeah that’s true.” “What’s there to write about now?” “Well they say write about what you go through, write about things you do. But things I do don’t seems like I would want to write about.”  Mike was pretty busy at this time. On June 2 1978 he played at Ford Field in Dearborn with Celebration and on Jun 4 1978-he and Celebration performed at a concert at Blossom Music Center in Cleveland. Around this time-Mike and Celebration also played at Great America in Chicago

June 3 1979-Dennis worked on All Alone at Track Records. The next day was declared Beach Boys day in LA and the BBs signed records at Peaches Music Store.  There are a lot of photos of this day.  That night the BBs opened a week residency at the Universal Amphitheater.  Things started well but the week ended with an ugly onstage fight between Dennis and Mike.

May 30 1980-the BBs arrived in Oslo to start their European tour.  They held a big Press Conference at the Hotel Ambassadeur the next day and played the Ekeberghallen on June 2.  They played the Grona Lund Amusement Park in Stockholm on June 3 and at Tivoli Garden in Copenhagen on June 4.  May 26 1981-the BBs played at the 4th Annual National Cheerleading Championships in Miami, FL-shown on TV and hosted by Victoria Principal and Andy Gibb. They performed on the beach. They each introduced themselves for the cameras. Thus “Hi I’m Mike from Santa Barbara” but Bruce only got out “Bruce from Pacific Palisades, Calif…before Dennis shoved him out of the way and yelled in a hoarse voice into the camera “Dennis from Venice”.  They played ‘Be True to Your School” and appeared again in the closing credits to sing “Surfin USA” May 29 1981 the BBs started a tour without Carl in Portland, Maine They played Hartford on May 30 and Buffalo on May 31.  They were in Providence, RI on June 1, Rochester on June 2 and then began a four-night stand at Westbury Music Fair on June 4 1981.

May 26 1982-Mike and Dean played at the Forum at Ontario Place in Toronto. May 27 1982-Brian held a session at Western for “Why Don’t You Tell Me Why” May 28 1982-The BBs opened their first big tour since Carl’s return to the band at Pine Knob.  Dennis and Brian were both absent from this tour. The BBs were in Paducah on May 31 1982 and in Greensboro on June 2.  That same day Brian was in the studio in LA recording a song titled Cry Like a Baby. The BBs were in Fayetteville on June 3 and Great Adventure in New Jersey on June 4.  They then played at Valley Forge Music Festival on June 5 and 6.  May 26 1983-Mike and Dean played at Adventure Island Park in Tampa.  Mike then headed to Michigan for the BBs three-night stand at Pine Knob.  On May 30 1983 Mike and Dean played at Tulane in Louisiana.  The BBs played in Memphis on May 31 and Norfolk on June 1. They played Colt State Park in Bristol, RI on June 2 and at Great Adventure in New Jersey on June 3. Prior to the show the band held a press Conference in Manhattan to announce they’d be playing at Atlantic City on July 4.  There is a picture from this conference in my book.  They were in Toledo on June 4 and Chicago on June 5 1983.  They toured again in May-June 1984. 

In late May or early June 1985 the music video “It’s Getting Late” was filmed.  Brian, now clean shaven, appeared at the end of the video, listening to a seashell.  Jun 1-2 1985-The BBs were one of the acts performing on the televised “Children’s Miracle Network Telethon” in Salt Lake City-hosted by the Osmonds.  The BBs performed live from Hawaii.  May 29 1986-the Beach Boys filmed the Rock and Roll to the Rescue video on Venice Beach. The video also has footage from Jack Murphy Stadium that was taped on May 18.   On May 31 1986-The BBs opened their summer tour in Jacksonville, FL. June 2 1986-Brian and Gary Usher begin recording together by working on “I’m Broke”

May 26 1987 Brian worked on Spirit of Rock and Roll and I Feel This Love at Village Recorders. The next day he worked on “Saturday Morning in the City,” “Saturday Evening” and “Love and Mercy.”  He worked on the same songs on June 1, as well as Nighttime. The BBs performed in Atlanta on May 28 1987, Pelham Arkansas on May 29 and Baton Rouge on May 30 1987. They also appeared in Alexandria, LA that day and in Memphis on May 31. On June 2 1987 the BBs were in Atlanta to perform at a Comdex Trade Show private party. While in Atlanta, the BBs held a recording session for “Happy Endings”.

I think I’ll stop here.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 06:45:16 PM »

By the way-if you have my book you'll notice that I've since found more Mike solo shows-that guy really kept busy-especially 1978-1984. He hardly took any days off.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 06:57:01 AM »

By the way has anyone heard that Jackie de Shannon boat to sail? Does Brian do a falsetto?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 10:37:53 AM »

By the way has anyone heard that Jackie de Shannon boat to sail? Does Brian do a falsetto?

Very nice song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77LfceN7ltc

Not really much falsetto there...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 04:31:25 PM »

Apparently Marilyn is singing backing vocals as well, what a beautiful song!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 06:49:42 PM »

By the way-if you have my book you'll notice that I've since found more Mike solo shows-that guy really kept busy-especially 1978-1984. He hardly took any days off.

Sadly to the detriment of his voice. Mike absolutely overused his voice and you could notice the effects for the whole decade after that.  Whatever he did, I know he took some voice lessons it has come back in the last 10-15 years but it took awhile.
Calico
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »

The BBs were in Brussels in June 3.  They definitely taped a TV show there called Vibrato for BRT TV.  Not 100% sure that they played an actual concert-though I did list the show that Badman claimed occurred in my book.  I never did find any actual proof that one occurred-maybe a Belgian fan will supply some documentation to me one day! If there is a Belgian poster on the board maybe they can uncover details.  Jun 4 1969-The BBs taped an app on the Beat Club TV Show in Bremen, Germany- Miming Breakaway and Surfin USA.

Hello there,
I'm from Belgium and a friend of mine has a great collection of the Dutch-language TV programme magazine called "Humo", in which I have asked him to look.

"Vibrato" was a programme from French-speaking Belgian TV (RTB), but he didn't find any  mention of the Beach Boys for that programme in or around June 1969... BUT the "Brian Wilson: Songwriter 1969-1982" released in 2012, features a clip of the BB miming to "I Can Hear Music", with a "RTB (1969)" caption, so this is most probably from that programme. I'll ask him to have a look again, as it may have been broadcast at a later date.

Also, the listing for the programme "Tienerklanken", from the Dutch-speaking Belgian TV (BRT), has the BB with "I Can Hear Music", broadcast on 10 June 1969, and the same programme has the BB with "Good Vibrations", "Blue Birds Over The Mountain" [sic], "Do It Again", "I Can Hear Music" and "Break Away", + Paul Revere and the Raiders, broadcast on 24 June 1969.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:05:03 PM by Calico » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 11:48:58 AM »

Great
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 07:16:56 AM »

Sadly to the detriment of his voice. Mike absolutely overused his voice and you could notice the effects for the whole decade after that.  Whatever he did, I know he took some voice lessons it has come back in the last 10-15 years but it took awhile.

Mike describes in his book that he had more nasal congestion or something along those lines in later years, and then gave up a bunch of dairy reluctantly in more recent years, which he says has helped. He describes more sadness over giving up his "beloved coffee ice cream and Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese" than he does over the demise of the band's reunion tour.  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Calico
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 03:19:31 PM »

Great

The Beach Boys also appear in the BRT TV programme "Tienerklanken" on 11 July 1971, although I suppose it was a film rather than a personal appearance. Was there some sort of promo film for the then recently issued "Long Promised Road"?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 03:33:10 PM »

Great

The Beach Boys also appear in the BRT TV programme "Tienerklanken" on 11 July 1971, although I suppose it was a film rather than a personal appearance. Was there some sort of promo film for the then recently issued "Long Promised Road"?

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVoDULF4sAM

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 07:42:45 PM »

Great

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVoDULF4sAM

I think that was a film created in 1998/2000 for the "Endless Harmony" DVD.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 07:59:20 PM »

yeah that's Vic Kettle footage from 68 and 69 tours that was edited for the Endless Harmony doc
Calico
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 12:41:41 AM »

yeah that's Vic Kettle footage from 68 and 69 tours that was edited for the Endless Harmony doc

Exactly. But this footage accopanying "Long Promlised Road" has something to do with Brussels, since it was filmed outside the Hilton Hotel (now called "The Hotel") and in the Parc d'Egmont, located right behind it.

A closer look at that 1971 TV programme listing indicates:
"Something Else: New Orleans"
American show for young people with:
The Beach Boys: Good Vibrations, Cotton Fields
Tony Joe White: Folk Salad Annie
Joe South: Don't it Want to Make you go Home
with collaboration with Action Faction Dancers
hosted by John Byner

The listing is accompanied by a photo of the Action Faction Dancers  that looks as if it was taken in an American stadium.

Does the BB footage from this show circulate? Could the "Cotton Fields" incomplete clip seen in "Endless Harmony" come from it?

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 05:05:08 AM »

Ah-ok I didn't know that footage was shot in Brussels-that's great to know.  I think that is 1969 though Carl looked pretty similar in the footage shot in Dec 68.  As far as Something Else-yes Cotton Fields comes from that show.  The Good Vibrations clip in that show was sort of an early music video- that showed BBs in various places-Mike on a bridge, Dennis with a beard kissing a girl-some of this footage can be seen seen in montages in Endless Harmony documentary but the full clip is not online) and Cotton Fields (This performance is seen in Endless Harmony- Keith Badman mistakenly listed it as taped on May 28 1970 in his book but actually it aired on TV as early as February 14-so probably taped sometime in Jan-Feb 1970 )
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 08:23:05 AM »

May 26 1968-the BBs began work on Do It Again. At this same session they also recorded the exquisite fragment of Walk On By and worked on Brian's current obsession-Old Folks At Home, Ol Man River. On May 27 and 29 1968-they laid down the track for We’re Together Again. June 3 1968
they taped the unreleased Well You Know I Knew. It's clear that at some point around this time they also recorded the infamous Manson tapes as well as recounted by Stephen Desper.  On June 4 1968 they worked on Brian's I Went To Sleep and on June 6 they returned to Do It Again (Vocals on May 26 Recording).

A few questions Ian. While I recognize you may not be privy to the answers I'll give it a shot anyways. Or maybe c-man could pop in and answer if you cant. Anyways, I'll start here...

Do you know what "Well You Know I Knew" is? I've never heard this title mentioned before? Is it a Brian tune? Dennis? Somebody else?

May 29 1975-Brian was at RCA Studios to produce the California Music version of Why Do Fools Fall In Love. He also recorded Ding Dang and Money Honey.

This one has confused me for a bit. This version of "Ding Dang" from '75, is this the Love You version? The reason I ask is, I've seen it ascribed as a '73 or '74 recording, but I've never seen or heard any real confirmation on when it was worked on. And I presume the vocals were done during the actual Love You sessions, right?

May 27 1982-Brian held a session at Western for “Why Don’t You Tell Me Why” May 28 1982

Is this the tune Brian was working on during the so called "cocaine sessions" with Dennis?
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 02:09:25 PM »

Well as far as ding dang goes I believe the first session for that was June 10 1974 as that is what the tape box in the bbs vault says. So I assume Brian pulled it out at the rca session. I don't know much about the other titles but the info comes from afm forms
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 02:12:44 PM »

As you know the early version of ding dang is easy to find and has obscene lyrics so I assume in 1976 they polished it up for genre release but let's face it they didn't work to hard on iti
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx