gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:22:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who other than Dennis would have been good in a film?  (Read 5926 times)
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 06:27:52 PM »

Mike Love in 1966: "I want to be rich and try other things, like real estate or being a movie star – if I ever learn to speak properly. I mumble and talk too fast."

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,2266.msg44260.html#msg44260
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 06:41:29 PM »

Dennis was a good looking guy and he was fine in Two Lane Blacktop but he didn't really radiate charisma in the movie.  I'm not sure he would have been a star if he'd continued in that vein-but it would have been interesting to see what transpired. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 07:05:35 PM »

I must admit I've never seen Two Lane Blacktop but if there was ever a time for a Beach Boy to appear in a movie it was then - that late 60s-early 70s era when there was such a common impulse in both popular music and mainstream cinema to challenge norms and the status quo and create something new. The same sort of mindset behind movies like Bonnie & Clyde, The Graduate, Easy Rider, and others was behind so much of the great music of the era. I think that's why you started to see the blending of the two - the Monkees in Head, Dennis Wilson in Two Lane Blacktop, Bob Dylan in Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, Levon Helm's eventual forays into acting, Neil Young's filmmaking, etc. Rather than film and music being treated as two mediums, it was almost like two different expressions of the same idea. Unfortunately, neither contemporary mainstream music or film is coming from the same place anymore.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 07:16:17 PM »

What about BBs sitcom? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JakeH
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 07:23:03 PM »

Anybody know how it came to be that Dennis got offered the role in Two-Lane? (I assume he didn't audition). Being in a movie seems to have come out of nowhere.  Very good movie.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2017, 07:50:37 PM »

Anybody know how it came to be that Dennis got offered the role in Two-Lane? (I assume he didn't audition). Being in a movie seems to have come out of nowhere.  Very good movie.

I don't know but if I were to wager a guess I would say it had something to do with what I mentioned above - the overlap between musicians and filmmakers at the time. Most were part of the same scene in the Canyons: Neil Young, Dean Stockwell, The Byrds, Bob Rafelson, Dennis Hopper, Peter Fonda, etc. etc.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:21:47 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 07:53:28 PM »

What about BBs sitcom? Wink

Ha! Well, I've still got a large amount of "unaired" episodes so you never know!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 09:59:40 PM »

(RangeRover)
Besides, NO musician - Beatles too - is good in films. It isn't just BBs. For some weeeeeird reason, people downplay BBs with these shoulda/ woulda/ coulda been bad actors when nobody could, in fact.
[/quote]

I respectfully disagree. Ithink there are bunches of musicians/singers that were great in films:

Elvis (pre 65')
Sinatra
Crosby
Judy Garland
Neil Diamond - Jazz Singer
Johnny Cash (pride of Jesse Hallam/columbo/five minutes to live)
Willie Nelson
Kris Kristofferson
Dolly Parton
Meat Loaf
Queen Latifah
Dean Martin
Sammy Davis Jr
Will Smith

that's off the top of my head.  I think these guys have done some
wonderful films in multiples over the years

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:01:04 PM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2017, 08:25:17 AM »

(RangeRover)
Besides, NO musician - Beatles too - is good in films. It isn't just BBs. For some weeeeeird reason, people downplay BBs with these shoulda/ woulda/ coulda been bad actors when nobody could, in fact.

I respectfully disagree. Ithink there are bunches of musicians/singers that were great in films:

Elvis (pre 65')
Sinatra
Crosby
Judy Garland
Neil Diamond - Jazz Singer
Johnny Cash (pride of Jesse Hallam/columbo/five minutes to live)
Willie Nelson
Kris Kristofferson
Dolly Parton
Meat Loaf
Queen Latifah
Dean Martin
Sammy Davis Jr
Will Smith

that's off the top of my head.  I think these guys have done some
wonderful films in multiples over the years

Good call -

I recall Sinatra in The Man With The Golden Arm, and especially Kris Kristofferson in the great, great Lone Star (by John Sayles, an all-time great movie for yours truly).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 08:29:16 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2017, 08:27:00 AM »

(double post)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 08:27:46 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx