gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:13:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First time meeting Brian  (Read 2389 times)
ryan9699
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2017, 10:37:53 AM »

Hey everyone!

First post and new to the forum. My name is Ryan and I'm a 17 year old musician. It has been a dream of mine to see Brian since middle school and now that I am finally working, I saved up enough for a meet and greet ticket. I'll be seeing him on the second leg of his Pet Sounds tour and just had a question - what is it like to meet him? I'm really nervous to talk to him because of all of the influence he has had on me. I initially wanted to bring my Pet Sounds record that has been in my family since it came out, and now belongs to me, but I read that he wouldn't be doing personal signings. Anyone have some good stories to ease a kid's mind?

Thanks for everything guys and I hope to be posting some of my song covers to the forum soon.

Ryan  Smiley

I still believe that something is right only when it feels right. - Brian Wilson
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 11:24:09 AM »

Hey man, welcome! My girlfriend and I met Brian last June in New Jersey. I was so anxious while waiting in the meet & greet line that when it came time for my picture with him, all I could muster out while standing behind him was "hey Brian". Unfortunately, I don't think I said it loud enough or whatever, because he didn't respond back. It's definitely tougher to talk to him if you're an introvert like I am!

To this day, I really do regret not bringing my Smile Sessions LP for him to sign, so if you do want him to sign something, even if you're unsure whether or not they'll allow personal signings, you should still definitely bring it. Getting to shake Al's hand after the concert made up for it though haha

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 02:05:32 PM »

You don't have much time with him , what, maybe a minute ? Try and think of something to say that he hasn't heard a thousand times before and maybe you'll get his attention.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »

When I met him he was friendly, shook my hand, thanked me for coming to the show and he signed my poster. But yeah they only really allow you a minute with him.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 02:54:19 PM »

You don't have much time with him , what, maybe a minute ? Try and think of something to say that he hasn't heard a thousand times before and maybe you'll get his attention.

This, and speak loudly and clearly and get his attention before you speak--otherwise he won't hear you.  Brian is friendly, but he is the Brian Wilson you've seen and heard about. What you've seen is what you get. Al is very friendly and he also appreciates comments showing that you're more than a casual fan. Something like, "Hey Al, I really loved Waves of Love" tends to go a long way with him.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 04:33:30 PM »

I got close up and personal during the BWPS 2004 American tour. He had cold hands and they were soft like someone who never did much manual labor. I just thanked him for his music, got my autograph and moved on.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 07:23:36 AM »

I haven't had the honour of meeting Brian but I was in the 4th row of a BWPS concert in July 2004 with a very large camera and long lens.

I was worried it might put him off...especially as the press photographers all left after 25 minutes...but I soon noticed that every time I raised the camera to my eye, he would smile and wave.

I deduce that, at least when he's in a good frame of mind, Brian is friendly and quite fun-loving. Most musicians put up with audience members photographing them...Brian mugs for the camera. Word got back to be via a member of his band that he was totally cool with it, and not putting this on.

If I did ever meet him...I have no idea what I'd say to be honest. Probably something cheesy like "Brian, your music has touched me all my life. Thank you".
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 11:39:40 AM »

I've done two VIP meet & greets over the past two years. Despite the cost, I found them to be a good value when you could get at least one personal item signed (the last one I did, they allowed two personal items). That being said, now that they have replaced the signing with a pre-signed book, I don't think the cost is justified. My guess is that the pre-signed books are to speed up the process and they get to "sell" more books in the process.

My suggestions:
- Have low expectations. You'll have 20-30 seconds at most and Brian's general attitude during these experiences are to get them over with as soon as possible. I would prepare something brief to say to Brian and you might get a "thank you".
- Take the "rules" under advisement, but don't let that deter you from bringing your Pet Sounds LP and a sharpie. I haven't seen a lot of reports from this tour and the meet & greet, but it seems like they are being pretty strict about not signing. The stated rules always seemed to be changing and evolving--because of that, keep up to date with the Tour thread and read the experiences people have during the meet & greet throughout the tour.

Good luck!
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 11:43:20 AM »

My avatar is the result of my encounter with Brian backstage, in 2005 before the paid "meet and greet" era. I shook his hand and made very little small talk, but he signed many things that I brought, at the encouragement of his road manager.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx