gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:16:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow) 2CD Set?  (Read 179484 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #600 on: July 23, 2017, 11:46:19 PM »

I did notice that...in fact my daughter asked if it was originally part of H&V .

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 23, 2017, 11:47:07 PM »

It's a recurring motif in Smile, it also shows up in the tag to Vega-Tables.

jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #602 on: July 23, 2017, 11:48:33 PM »

During the instrumental version of "Wonderful", when it gets to the freak-out/party section (from 1:13 to 1:50), has anyone else noticed that part of "Heroes and Villains" fits perfectly over it?

https://youtu.be/biUIN_x8jT4?t=1m11s

I thought I was the only person to ever notice that lol

One track I've been listening to a lot is the alternate "Whispering Winds" section of Wind Chimes. Such a breathtakingly beautiful piece by the group!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 24, 2017, 05:06:32 AM »

I (all of us) noticed the distortion in 'Country Air' -

is it deliberate?

Was it meant to imitate the sound of bees?

Am I bonkers?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 26, 2017, 03:40:34 PM »

Haven't bought the CD but listened to the outtakes on Spotify. Dammit, them Boys blew me away once again! Such revelatory, beautiful pieces... Heartwarming to hear Brian so into it. Of course, the proof has been in the pudding all these years, but hearing him guide the guys and sounding so enthused really makes me feel good, even though I've known for ages that the "he went to bed after Smile" was just a myth. Great stuff. Can't wait to get my own copy.

My only gripe is we don't have full Hawaii concerts... Oh well. A download-only live album would satisfy my soul. Please?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 26, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »

Haven't bought the CD but listened to the outtakes on Spotify. Dammit, them Boys blew me away once again! Such revelatory, beautiful pieces... Heartwarming to hear Brian so into it. Of course, the proof has been in the pudding all these years, but hearing him guide the guys and sounding so enthused really makes me feel good, even though I've known for ages that the "he went to bed after Smile" was just a myth. Great stuff. Can't wait to get my own copy.

My only gripe is we don't have full Hawaii concerts... Oh well. A download-only live album would satisfy my soul. Please?

This set makes me so excited for a possible Friends set like this...of course I don’t think anything of the sort is coming out, but I’d love for it to. To hear Brian firing on all cylinders, having fun, exploring all those great chords.

Hey Billy or Guitarfool, any chance this set will be available to review in the official album review section? I’ve been wanting to share my thoughts on this, but wanted to rate it in a proper review thread.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 26, 2017, 06:11:48 PM »

Does anyone know why Little Red Book wasnt released on this set! I think it would have made a great addition!

Fingures crossed for a friends album just as good as Sunshine Tomorrow!!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #607 on: July 26, 2017, 06:51:09 PM »

This set makes me so excited for a possible Friends set like this...of course I don’t think anything of the sort is coming out, but I’d love for it to. To hear Brian firing on all cylinders, having fun, exploring all those great chords.

Hey Billy or Guitarfool, any chance this set will be available to review in the official album review section? I’ve been wanting to share my thoughts on this, but wanted to rate it in a proper review thread.

Official review thread started here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25324.0.html

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: July 26, 2017, 06:57:46 PM »

Mythology is indeed what it was until this set shattered the myth, and that includes the notion of Carl producing more of this material in '67 than Brian.

I asked on another thread, but am curious since you're a fan who heard that proof in the pudding, if you remember, where did all the mythology start and why was it repeated for so long? I'm thinking you and I are not the only ones who heard the proof in the pudding all along and this set just backed it up even more with the studio chatter. I'm just curious if other fans remember how and why all that nonsense got started in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:59:00 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 26, 2017, 08:21:59 PM »

Official review thread started here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25324.0.html

Thanks so much!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: July 27, 2017, 12:23:12 AM »

Does anyone know why Little Red Book wasnt released on this set! I think it would have made a great addition!

Fingures crossed for a friends album just as good as Sunshine Tomorrow!!!

That was (apparently) recorded during the sessions for Friends. It's debated that it was either recorded in February of 1967 or early 1968, but the tapes for the track were found packaged together with other Friends-era songs.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 27, 2017, 02:05:29 AM »

During the instrumental version of "Wonderful", when it gets to the freak-out/party section (from 1:13 to 1:50), has anyone else noticed that part of "Heroes and Villains" fits perfectly over it?

https://youtu.be/biUIN_x8jT4?t=1m11s

I thought I was the only person to ever notice that lol

Suprised people are even mentioning it. It's obviously the same piece of music.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 27, 2017, 02:19:07 AM »

is it deliberate?

Am I bonkers?

Hi Don

It is a Chamberlin, which is what the Mellotron was based on. A very early sample player and the distortion is either inherent in the instrument itself, or occured from the way they recorded it. Perhaps, as you say, it was intentional.

Not sure what patch they used, some people think flute.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 28, 2017, 12:45:11 AM »

is it deliberate?

Am I bonkers?

Hi Don

It is a Chamberlin, which is what the Mellotron was based on. A very early sample player and the distortion is either inherent in the instrument itself, or occured from the way they recorded it. Perhaps, as you say, it was intentional.

Not sure what patch they used, some people think flute.

Many thanks! I love this kind of detail, and now I see that it is, intended or not, authentic (not an artefact).

terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 28, 2017, 04:45:26 AM »

Too bad it was digitally removed from the new stereo mix. The backing vocals now have this weird stuttering artifact because of it.

And if LTWB wasn't a digital extraction mix, I can't understand why there's an arbitrary noise gate on the backing vocal stem.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:47:08 AM by terrei » Logged
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: August 01, 2017, 01:23:08 AM »

Was Brian planning to include Surf's Up on Wild Honey when he recorded the Nov 67 vocal?
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 04, 2017, 05:34:50 AM »

Love the "live" Hawaii version of California Girls. Listening to the ending chord/bass progression brought Your Imagination to mind instantly.
cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 15, 2017, 06:20:47 PM »

I just got this, and its all the good things everyone says it is.  I notice the bass seems loud on the unreleased tracks ect.   They are probably using flatwounds  or (gasp) tapewound, which it sounds like on vegtables -- that would make it  bommier.   I am listening on Sony V506 headphones....Am i bonkers? Smiley     
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 15, 2017, 06:40:10 PM »

Sunshine Tomorrow debuted at 145 in the US.  50 Big Ones also made a reappearance at 142.

Yikes that's bad, even taking into account this is an archival release. How many copies do you need to sell these days to make it to 145? A thousand?

Let's hope it doesn't derail similar release in the future. It's one of the most revelatory and enjoyable sets of this kind I've ever listened to.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 15, 2017, 07:46:48 PM »

Sunshine Tomorrow debuted at 145 in the US.  50 Big Ones also made a reappearance at 142.

Yikes that's bad, even taking into account this is an archival release. How many copies do you need to sell these days to make it to 145? A thousand?

Let's hope it doesn't derail similar release in the future. It's one of the most revelatory and enjoyable sets of this kind I've ever listened to.

Keep in mind that the Pet Sounds 50th anniversary release did not chart, nor did the Party archival release.  145 isn't awful considering that, as well as the fact it's material from a period that the general public has forgotten about aside from Darlin' and maybe Wild Honey.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 24, 2017, 03:01:23 AM »

OK -

I have Sunshine Tomorrow for more than two months now. Time for an evaluation.

1. It is a labour of love, and it is so much more than the umpteenth reworking of a minor classic, or a release born out of necessity (may that glitch in copyright extension laws live forever! Best mistake in the history of our universe, bar none!)

2. It came out of nowhere (seemingly), no big fanfare, and its presentation is as modest as it is complete and accurate; everything comes together with this one

3. I get enormous pleasure out of playing it - I reach for it late in the evening, no TV or any other screen on. A lit candle does the trick (well, and a good craft beer from Belgium).

The BBs catalogue is gigantic, and still this thing is one of its highlights.

Cheers to all involved!

hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 24, 2017, 08:14:56 AM »

the correct CD to listen to (late at night under candlelight) having just been identified for us (as if there's any doubt)

I will identify the correct Belgium craft beer that was alluded to - BROEJEL (a bock lager), chill well
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 24, 2017, 10:19:12 AM »

the correct CD to listen to (late at night under candlelight) having just been identified for us (as if there's any doubt)

I will identify the correct Belgium craft beer that was alluded to - BROEJEL (a bock lager), chill well

Ha! Cheers, and what a fine beer name it is: Broejel! Plus: I love bock beers.

The circle is round, the question is answered, and I guess SSnet can now consider its grand mission fulfilled.

orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 25, 2017, 05:16:47 PM »

I have Sunshine Tomorrow for more than two months now. Time for an evaluation.

1. It is a labour of love, and it is so much more than the umpteenth reworking of a minor classic

Cheers to all involved!

Indeed to all of the above. Musically it was always a fun album, but the remix has improved the sound quality so much that it actually enhances the music, which is a feat.
Without meaning to cause offense, you have to wonder how the original sounded so bad in comparison, when the recordings are of such high fidelity...
But massive kudos to Mr. Linett for giving us a mix that sounds both warm and modern.
MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 25, 2017, 05:41:15 PM »

I've been playing this a lot from our Apple TV and my girlfriend says it's her favorite Beach Boys album now. She particularly likes I Was Made To Love Her.

It's hugely satisfying for me because I've never tried to get her into this band. It's just happening naturally.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx