gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:47:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow) 2CD Set?  (Read 179476 times)
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: June 30, 2017, 01:46:26 PM »

So a lot of the unreleased versions seem to augment previous releases or booted versions that I'm aware of. Just getting into it, this is a fabulous gift - one that induces us to listen deeply and re-evaluate. And take great pleasure in. Amazing.

How exactly did you mean 're-evaluate' in the context of this discussion, may I ask? Did you mean it generally in very personal terms or to look slightly differently at the Beach Boys' oeuvre (output of material) in light of this new release?

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 30, 2017, 02:04:58 PM »

Wild Honey in stereo was a revelation! BW was still at the top of his game unlike a "lengendary" board historian would say.... Evil

Agreed SB.  It couldn't be more obvious when you listen to the recordings. 
johncatt
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 30, 2017, 02:44:23 PM »

Gee, doesn't ANYBODY remember writing Lonely Days?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 30, 2017, 02:52:14 PM »

My mind is so completely blown by listening to this set. Cheers to whoever made the decision to just have the stereo version of the album, as opposed to both the stereo and mono versions, since that leaves more room for extra tracks which we have been gifted with.

I cannot imagine ever wanting to listen to the mono version again.

a few preliminary notes:

- A Thing or Two... what a revelation. So forward pushing and modern, and a song that should have been heard in this manner back then.
- backing track for Aren't You Glad... outtasight

I have to let this all sink in more, more, more.

SOOO stoked right now. Thanks hugely to all the folks involved.

Friends and Sunflower (those two at minimum) absolutely need similar reissue treatment!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 30, 2017, 02:52:22 PM »

On Spotify now.

Does anyone else have a problem with tracks 10, 16, 27, 54 and 64 being corrupted after few seconds?

Yep. I wondered if it was just me.  LOL
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 30, 2017, 02:53:21 PM »

I never noticed the connection between "Wind Chimes" (Smile version) and "Can't Wait Too Long" until now!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:05:41 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 30, 2017, 02:57:07 PM »

Since this is now in the liner notes and public, I think it's worth pointing to a little piece of information that I think is of key importance for the BBs and BRI doing right by the fans and the band as well starting with this set and into the future. On the last page:

Brother Records, Inc.: Jerry Schilling, President

Biggest news of the day, if you ask me.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 30, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »

Since this is now in the liner notes and public, I think it's worth pointing to a little piece of information that I think is of key importance for the BBs and BRI doing right by the fans and the band as well starting with this set and into the future. On the last page:

Biggest news of the day, if you ask me.

Definitely really great news.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 30, 2017, 03:30:25 PM »

Interesting. Former manager of the group and renowned member of the "Memphis Mafia" (look it up if you don't understand that one).

Anyways, hopefully he follows the great job Ernst Jřrgensen has done with Elvis' stuff and apply it to The Beach Boys (and maybe even get them together again).
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 30, 2017, 03:59:24 PM »

Hey Howie, if you're there, great job on the liner notes! 

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 30, 2017, 04:34:51 PM »

Some first impressions here:

Wild Honey has always been one of my favorite albums and now this stereo release vaulted it into the Top Five. I'm generally a purist with music but not so with these Beach Boys stereo mixes. They actually improve the album (Pet Sounds included).

No big reevaluation for me but as Howie points out in the liner notes, this is the last full-on Brian and Mike collaboration in a big album sense. Considering this was 50 years ago, a sobering thought.

Man, they did the right thing in canning ``Lei,d``....its appalling compared to how great the band sound on the Thanksgiving Tour.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: June 30, 2017, 05:31:53 PM »

Interesting. Former manager of the group and renowned member of the "Memphis Mafia" (look it up if you don't understand that one).

Anyways, hopefully he follows the great job Ernst Jřrgensen has done with Elvis' stuff and apply it to The Beach Boys (and maybe even get them together again).

Great news if Jerry Schilling is running Brother.

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 30, 2017, 06:23:58 PM »

Great news if Jerry Schilling is running Brother.

Could not agree more!  Didn't take long, and look what we have already...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 30, 2017, 06:43:14 PM »

And I hope more to come! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: June 30, 2017, 06:48:50 PM »

Wild Honey in stereo was a revelation! BW was still at the top of his game unlike a "lengendary" board historian would say.... Evil

Agreed SB.  It couldn't be more obvious when you listen to the recordings. 

The proof, as always, is in the audio. As some of us have been saying for years. Just listen and the facts are right there.

Just curious, informal poll kind of thing. Since a narrative was put forth and argued that Carl produced most of Wild Honey, for those who have heard the new release, where on these tracks is Carl heard actually producing the album on the included tracks and session chatter?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: June 30, 2017, 07:28:42 PM »

I never noticed the connection between Smile and "Can't Wait Too Long" until now!

check this out:
http://picosong.com/WLeG/
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 30, 2017, 07:54:30 PM »

My disk 2 arrived cracked.... luckily amazons support is perfect... new copy on the way!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: June 30, 2017, 08:12:43 PM »

My disk 2 arrived cracked.... luckily amazons support is perfect... new copy on the way!

What a buzzkill! At least it's being corrected by Amazon, good for them.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 30, 2017, 08:22:44 PM »

Thank god for Spotify!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 30, 2017, 08:29:18 PM »

Thank god for Spotify!

Amen. I am leaving the country tomorrow and my set is due to arrive while I am gone.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: June 30, 2017, 08:56:24 PM »

Have yet to see a physical copy here in any stores. Probably for the best in that I really couldn't afford to buy it til next week, but I was sure as hell gonna try! :D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: June 30, 2017, 10:17:46 PM »

Man oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man...

This album is perfect. Just perfect. From the progressive remix of "Fall Breaks and Back to Winter", to the beautiful stereo mix of the "Water Chant", I can't get enough of this beautiful collection of music. "Game of Love" and "Honey Get Home" TOTALLY exceeded my expectations, I'm so glad to finally hear them after all these years of speculation! Happy to hear "A Thing or Two" earning some much-needed positive reception from listeners. That's always been one of my favorite tracks off of Wild Honey, but I've seen some criticism of it in the past. And holy hell, that second version of "All Day All Night"! I could go on and on about everything that I adore about this set, but I think I'll just let the music speak for itself.

Thank you, and God bless The Beach Boys, Alan Boyd, Mark Linett, Howie Edelson, Jerry Schilling, and everyone else who made Sunshine Tomorrow a reality for us fans!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 30, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »

Does anybody else think "Untitled (Redwood)" might have been an early take for Time to Get Alone?  Given that the song was intended for Redeood, it makes sense.  I hummed the verse melody over it and it certainly fits.

America
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 30, 2017, 11:52:58 PM »

Anyone else notice the slight pitch correction on Brian's vocal on Surf's Up (1967 Version) the second time he sings "columnated ruins do-MIN-o"?

I overlaid the version from TSS (2011) onto this version from Sunshine Tomorrow—you can listen here: http://picosong.com/WLm3 (notice the slight dissonance when he sings "domino").
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 01, 2017, 01:28:56 AM »

Gee, doesn't ANYBODY remember writing Lonely Days?

I remember writing it. Or isn't that what you mean? Cool Guy

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx