gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:59:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow) 2CD Set?  (Read 179655 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: June 13, 2017, 09:58:54 AM »

I'm all for as many fan-friendly moves as possible. Printable covers and all of that sound great. But as a fanbase, while I think it's fine to throw suggestions like that in there, I think it's important for BRI and Capitol/UMe to not assume the fanbase is not so picky or stubborn as to still make the lack of a physical release component a big deal. Those companies may then assume fans won't buy the stuff if all they see is a digital-only release.

Let me reiterate, I'm a physical release guy. I'd prefer to have everything on CD. But that went out the door like a decade ago, and it's especially not going to happen if BRI actually authorizes a *vast* archival program along the lines of an Elvis/FTD or Dick's Picks sort of thing. And frankly, if they built up an archive of *dozens of dozens* of live show releases for instance, I'd actually prefer a less costly digital release. I'd rather pay 5 or 10 bucks for a download of a live show than pay $25 for physical CD release *only if* it gets into dozens and dozens of releases, because I wouldn't be able to afford an archive of like 50 shows at $25 a pop.

I think for some time there will still be room for physical release as the sort of capstone for a wider archival program. Key multi-disc sets/boxed sets for certain eras and albums, and a nice compilation of live stuff in a boxed set. Then, when it gets more into the voluminous bulk of stuff for the hardcores, it would almost certainly have to go download-only, other than the outside of chance of partnering with Amazon to do "MOD" discs or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 13, 2017, 02:00:25 PM »

It's a big deal to me, so raising "the stink" about that kind of thing is totally necessary in my opinion. Buying digital files is a waste of my money (that's just me). I happily plunk down my earned dollars for physical media (CDs and records). It brings me much joy to have something tangible that is mine, oftentimes in better quality than most downloads I could buy for the same or a higher price.

I'll buy this Wild Honey set because they are offering it to me as something I can hold in my hands. If they weren't, no sale and I'd just listen on Spotify - or honestly, find it through other means and burn it to a CD myself.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: June 13, 2017, 02:30:25 PM »

Like I said, I'm a physical CD guy too and I'm not here to defend the labels or the industry. I'm not just saying this. I've visited numerous Blockbuster and Hollywood Video locations going out of business and have a TON of DVDs and Blu-rays. Same with CDs.

I just know that the deeper they go into the archives and the more "hardcore" it gets, the smaller the audience. So I'm not interested in the labels (however much they would be unfairly generalizing the fanbase) having the perception that the BB fanbase is a bunch of fuddy-duddy old timers that, in 2017, *still* would boycott a digital-only release. If you tell them you'll illegally download their release if they refuse to release a physical CD of a random BB concert from 1977 or something, logic tells me the much easier answer on their end will be to simply not release it rather than do a print run for a CD that will only sell a few thousand copies, if that.

News flash: If BRI ever "opens the archives", as in truly opens the floodgates to a large archival program, there's *no way* it's going to all be available on physical CDs or even vinyl (even with the vinyl hipster element at play). And that's as it should be, because I'm not going to pay $50 for a double vinyl copy of the Jamaica Fest 1982 gig.

As for downloads, many if not most or all "digital" releases are now available as either high-rez (better than CD) downloads, and/or 16/44.1 CD quality downloads. That doesn't fix the "I need to hold it in my hands or no sale" thing, but for those pounding the table about sound quality, I think you can get most of even the past few years of "Copyright Extension" releases as either high-rez or at least CD-quality downloads.

I think BRI and Capitol/UMe know the BB fanbase skews older, and between that and "Sunshine Tomorrow" being a prestige product, it's probably among the reasons they've gone ahead and done a physical release for it instead of going download-only.

I think we're going to see any main "studio" releases like "Sunshine Tomorrow" on physical CDs, so there's no problem there. But I want BRI to go beyond that. Five years from now, I want to see a BRI catalog with 50 or more archival releases of studio and live stuff. And there's little chance that'll happen if fans say they'll skip downloads and just rip everything off of YouTube or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: June 13, 2017, 02:42:15 PM »

I think the inherent problem with digital downloads compared to physical media is that it isn't yet feasible, financially, for digital products to offer lossless audio quality.  This is an issue I have a personal contention with.  iTunes only offers lossless audio in selected products, for the hardcore fans, and the casual fan could care less.  In the case for audio preservation/back up, it is infuriating (especially as a BB fan) that record companies refuse to accommodate these needs.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: June 13, 2017, 04:06:20 PM »

I think the inherent problem with digital downloads compared to physical media is that it isn't yet feasible, financially, for digital products to offer lossless audio quality.  This is an issue I have a personal contention with.  iTunes only offers lossless audio in selected products, for the hardcore fans, and the casual fan could care less.  In the case for audio preservation/back up, it is infuriating (especially as a BB fan) that record companies refuse to accommodate these needs.

Some (perhaps not all) of the previously released "copyright extension" releases have been released in 24bit/88kHz (much higher than CD quality) via HDtracks and other sites and there's no reason why that couldn't be continued with future digital-only releases.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:06:59 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 13, 2017, 05:55:35 PM »

The technology is there. FLAC  can be lossless,  The King Crimson (Discipline Global Mobile) site has FLAC -- because they actually care about their listeners.
Capitol might as well be EXXON or J.P. Morgan/Chase.  Its unfortunate bands  learned the hard way and had their dreams crushed.   The Beach Boys sure learned.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: June 14, 2017, 06:44:09 AM »

I think the inherent problem with digital downloads compared to physical media is that it isn't yet feasible, financially, for digital products to offer lossless audio quality.  This is an issue I have a personal contention with.  iTunes only offers lossless audio in selected products, for the hardcore fans, and the casual fan could care less.  In the case for audio preservation/back up, it is infuriating (especially as a BB fan) that record companies refuse to accommodate these needs.

I think you have to go beyond iTunes. The 7digital website has at least 16 bit/44.1 FLAC files for copyright extension releases for Sacramento '64, Chicago '65, and Michigan '66. They also offer *high-rez* 24 bit/88.2 downloads for a number of catalog (in fact, it appears most of the catalog) and archival/copyright extension releases including the "Party" 2 disc set and Chicago '65. HDTracks also has the '64 studio set "Keep an Eye on Summer" in high-rez.

CD quality (16/44.1) if not high-rez (24/88.2) versions of any future digital releases would not be a problem as far as I can tell, and would be likely.

As I said, the only beef I could see someone having with a wide expanse of download-only releases would be the "holding the product in your hands" aspect, and that's something that I prefer as well, but realize is just ridiculous to expect given the industry and especially given the *breadth* we'd be looking for in a "opening the floodgates" Beach Boys archive scenario.

hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 14, 2017, 07:31:53 AM »

HIDE GO SEEK and the unknown Redwood instrumental tracks on this new CD are rather brief
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: June 14, 2017, 12:53:14 PM »

I understand that lossless audio can be found by looking around on the web, HDtracks is cool btw, but what stinks is that lossless audio isn't offered to most products on sites the majority of people actually use (i.e. iTunes, Spotify, &c.)
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 14, 2017, 01:00:31 PM »

I've seen track list for the 2nd CD of this set which has a track #35, though it's a bit confusing
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 15, 2017, 06:35:11 AM »

HIDE GO SEEK and the unknown Redwood instrumental tracks on this new CD are rather brief

I'm so glad that the compilers included these despite their brief length!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: June 15, 2017, 08:36:09 AM »

I understand that lossless audio can be found by looking around on the web, HDtracks is cool btw, but what stinks is that lossless audio isn't offered to most products on sites the majority of people actually use (i.e. iTunes, Spotify, &c.)

Except that people who seek out lossless and high-rez content are people who tend to go to HDTracks and places like that as opposed to iTunes and Spotify. Most folks using something like Spotify are not looking for anything along the lines of a home stereo, high-rez, physical media sort of listening experience. It's mainly an on-the-go streaming sort of thing. Just like people going to McDonald's aren't looking for a five-star dining experience.

At the point that one is downloading lossless or high-rez content, I see zero difference (other than various cosmetic/user interface quibbles) when it comes to which website it's found on. The fact is that it's (mostly) out there now for those looking for it. 

harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 16, 2017, 05:57:02 AM »

Will the distortion on "Country Air" be fixed? My understanding from previous threads is that it is impossible to extract.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:04:28 AM by harrisonjon » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 16, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »

Just got an email saying that the WH stereo LP release has been delayed until July 21, due to increased demand requiring more pressings. I'm hoping the delay doesn't extend to the 1967 box set.

OTOH, a higher demand for the product than expected is a good thing....
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 16, 2017, 03:14:19 PM »

Will the distortion on "Country Air" be fixed? My understanding from previous threads is that it is impossible to extract.

Why would we want it to be fixed?
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 17, 2017, 07:08:22 AM »

Surprised no songs have been released to promote this set yet. Didn’t we get to hear a few tracks from Pet Sounds 50 in the weeks leading up to its release? Come on Capitol/UMe!

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 17, 2017, 09:02:19 AM »

Surprised no songs have been released to promote this set yet. Didn’t we get to hear a few tracks from Pet Sounds 50 in the weeks leading up to its release? Come on Capitol/UMe!

Exactly my thoughts!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 17, 2017, 07:44:31 PM »

Why would we want it to be fixed?

Yup!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: June 17, 2017, 08:34:24 PM »

I ain't payin' 40 plus bucks...plus tax...plus shipping and handling for THAT!!!   Shocked   Amazon knows me well...but not THAT well.  I'm sure they thought they had a sure-fire fish on the line.  I'm not gonna nibble on THAT worm.  Drop the price by 50-something percent, wheel...and come again...To rhatid!!!   Roll Eyes
---------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Amazon.ca <store-news@amazon.ca>
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 11:42 PM
Subject: Re: "1967 - Sunshine Tomorrow (2CD)" by The Beach Boys and more Music

$40.60?  Are you kidding?  After ALL of the business I've given you ... you want to rob me?  Let me know when it's available for $14.60.  Until you do I won't be buying ANYTHING else from you.  Got it?  Man that's 'nervy'.

Lee Marshall

p.s.  YOU should be ashamed of yourself.  BAD business.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:53:04 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 17, 2017, 08:55:33 PM »

Why is it $40? Mine is $19. Maybe you had two copies in your check out cart?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 17, 2017, 09:16:47 PM »

Perhaps that price is in Canadian currency. What's the current exchange rate between US and Canada?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: June 18, 2017, 06:11:31 AM »

We're sitting at about 75 cents on the dollar...give or take Emdeeh.  My wife just told me that Amazon called an hour ago and, as I was up late and slept in, she declined to wake me.  Apparently they're calling back at 10:00.  I'm sure that I've spent 10 grand with Amazon over these past 10 years...maybe more.  So...ya...they're calling.  Squeaky wheels get oiled.  Gotta stand up to B.S.  [Well at least I have to.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 18, 2017, 06:59:26 AM »

I used Canadian amazon and pre-ordered it when it first came out. I have it locked in for 27 or so dollars and now they've just inflated the price to 40. It's BS
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: June 18, 2017, 07:07:03 AM »

And, at 27 bucks, YOU over-paid S.M.  We all know that the price will drop to below 20 bucks...maybe closer to $15.00...soon.  Being ripped off never works for me...and I let 'them' know about it every time.  [whoever 'they' happen to be.]

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 18, 2017, 09:29:19 AM »

Yeah, pretty strange.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx