gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:46:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow) 2CD Set?  (Read 179475 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 31, 2017, 10:12:26 PM »

I think if Redwood had been produced by Brian, I don't think the group would have turned into Three Dog Night. I'm almost sure of it.  It's hard to say whether the group would have been successful with Brian at the helm. Although I can see them recording Soulful Old Man Sunshine, and I could see that becoming a big hit. 

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: May 31, 2017, 11:33:51 PM »

That would've worked better than Time to get Alone.

I'm interested to learn how the production went with WH.  One track that I used to be iffy on but has become a favorite is Here Comes the Night . Looking forward to hearing it in pristine sound!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 31, 2017, 11:39:52 PM »

I think Time To Get Alone was especially unsuited for Chuck Negron's voice. He couldn't quite get high enough(no pun intended  Grin).

That's one of my favorites from WH. There are a few tracking sessions where the song had a more prominent  guitar part that seems to give the song a harder edge.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:32:39 AM by Jay » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: June 01, 2017, 08:50:10 AM »

When Howie Edelson, perhaps in conjunction with Jon Stebbins, finally has the time to put together a Lewisohn-style bio on the BBs, I'm sure the Redwood saga can be delved into intricate detail, down to what Negron was wearing and how many doobs Danny Hutton had smoked during the session.

In the meantime, it is amazing how healing this music can be; this '67 music in particular.

This talk of "Wild Honey" and the '67 material, on into "Friends" and "20/20" material, has reminded me recently of how the third Capitol compilation "Sunshine Dream", following up on "Endless Summer" and "Spirit of America", might just be the most unique and (even if inadvertently) interestingly programmed set of them all (minus the BB Medley I guess). This might have been among my first entrees into some of that '67 material.

Anybody know if any of the BBs helped program the tracklisting on "Sunshine Dream?"

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:53:57 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 01, 2017, 08:52:45 AM »

In hindsight, that set was prototype for Sunshine Tomorrow! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: June 01, 2017, 08:56:23 AM »

Just be glad the *cover art* for "Sunshine Tomorrow" is immensely more elegant and appropriate than "Sunshine Dream."

Although, I guess it always made me want to go out and buy a pizza (that *is* supposed to be a pizza, right?)  LOL:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:57:22 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 01, 2017, 09:05:02 AM »

What kind of pizza? LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: June 01, 2017, 09:38:35 AM »

What kind of pizza? LOL

Looks like a supreme to these eyes.  Maybe someone with inside knowledge can confirm. For what it's worth, Doe says that's a salami sub...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 01, 2017, 09:39:48 AM »

Someone who would know says its a sh*t sandwhich.... Wink

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: June 01, 2017, 09:50:30 AM »

Looks like "Sunshine Tomorrow" is still selling well on Amazon. Good stuff.

I wonder if we might see a track or two released online (a la the "McCartney Archive Collection") before too long to help build buzz.

Maybe BRI could push some rare live videos to YouTube for this? Dig out a rare live concert version of "Darlin'" perhaps. I know there's not a lot of extant 1967 film material to use from SS and WH.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 01, 2017, 09:51:50 AM »

Someone who would know says its a sh*t sandwhich.... Wink

w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: June 01, 2017, 11:12:04 AM »

Does anyone here know if BRI will be releasing a couple tracks online in order to give fans a sneak peak of what to expect? Capitol did it with the Sgt. Pepper's set, so it'd only make sense for them to do the same!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 01, 2017, 11:44:19 AM »

Does anyone here know if BRI will be releasing a couple tracks online in order to give fans a sneak peak of what to expect? Capitol did it with the Sgt. Pepper's set, so it'd only make sense for them to do the same!

They also released a few live tracks prior to the Pet Sounds set last year.  Would be cool to have them release With A Little Help From My Friends to tie in with the Sgt. Pepper's set.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: June 01, 2017, 11:50:40 AM »

They also released a few live tracks prior to the Pet Sounds set last year.  Would be cool to have them release With A Little Help From My Friends to tie in with the Sgt. Pepper's set.

That's absolutely brilliant

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 01, 2017, 03:05:40 PM »

Well, you know sometimes you just gotta let stuff go.  The "Redwood Incident" happened 50 years ago!  Fifty years ago people.  (damn some of us are getting old!).  And its not like it was the Kennedy assassination to start with....

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: June 01, 2017, 03:54:19 PM »

Well, you know sometimes you just gotta let stuff go.  The "Redwood Incident" happened 50 years ago!  Fifty years ago people.  (damn some of us are getting old!).  And its not like it was the Kennedy assassination to start with....

LOL  Indeed. http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/what-s-on/music/music-interview-mike-love-on-the-beach-boys-endless-summer-1-8527766

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 01, 2017, 04:12:44 PM »

Mike sure can't! LOL

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 01, 2017, 05:57:04 PM »

Well, you know sometimes you just gotta let stuff go.  The "Redwood Incident" happened 50 years ago!  Fifty years ago people.  (damn some of us are getting old!).  And its not like it was the Kennedy assassination to start with....

Then you'd better tell that to Brian too, who pointed the finger squarely at Mike about this specific incident in his autobiography, and went out of his way to wonder if Mike ever thought about it or regretted it. Brian has every right to have some unresolved pain about Mike's actions that day, as the mention in the book would lead me to surmise is the case.

Why can't Brian's cousin apologize or own up to anything? That's the question you should be asking.  Receiving sincere apologies from people (especially family) who have acted poorly is usually a pretty decent method to help hurt people "let stuff go."
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:02:42 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 01, 2017, 11:02:38 PM »

That's absolutely brilliant
It sure is. I hope somebody reads this and makes it happen. They could release the song(perhaps both mixes) as a limited cd single.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 02, 2017, 05:17:20 AM »

Or it's just a piece of band history relevant to this release. I mean, I understand this incident is rather inconvenient for some fans who can't seem to live with Mike getting a little flack for his past actions. For the rest of us, it's a moment that certainly shaped and defined what Wild Honey turned into...and considering this is a messageboard whose sole purpose is to discuss such things, I don't see why such discussions are sensitive to some here.

Sure, when I first listen to this amazing set I'm not going to be thinking about band politics/scuffles...and I know I will enjoy the music...we certainly all will. But that doesn't mean we can't discuss relevant topics (such as song credits or a studio incident that helped bring an amazing song to this album) just because they happened 50 years ago, because they are supposedly negative, or because some here are a little sensitive to these topics.

Thank you Guitarfool for writing some great posts above. Spot on.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 03, 2017, 04:19:46 AM »

This is exactly the sort of release news that I periodically check the board for. As another poster mentioned, it feels like I'm dreaming to see all those tracks in one place. My favourite period in one package. God I'd love it if they'd done the whole set on vinyl but it's cool that stereo WH is getting the vinyl treatment as a supplement to this set. Am preordering both today. Can't believe I overlooked this thread and news the last time I checked the board!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 03, 2017, 04:36:31 AM »

Where are UK folks preordering their copies of WH stereo vinyl? I can't see it on Amazon and Diverse Vinyl don't have it listed.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 03, 2017, 06:41:20 AM »

What kind of pizza? LOL

"Cheese pizza." – Brian Wilson

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 03, 2017, 02:16:43 PM »

What kind of pizza? LOL

"Cheese pizza." – Brian Wilson
I forgot! Cool Guy

ryan9699
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 03, 2017, 05:40:52 PM »

Anyone know if SS is getting the same 180G reissue treatment as WH?

I still believe that something is right only when it feels right. - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx