gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:51:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow) 2CD Set?  (Read 179526 times)
cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 28, 2017, 06:00:54 PM »

I've had this explained to me awhile back in here...I've read lotza stuff here and this new release konfuzes me as far as the Smiley Smile part.   My understanding is the nice studio recordings
that became Smile and 20/20 ect.  Were done in the commercial studios.  Then they said, shelve all of it,  Brian decided to record at home, and they did Smiley Smile -- new bare bones, minimalist  takes of every song except H&V and Good vibrations?   So other than new versions of what was already done and in the Smiley Smile box set, there is no overlap with Smile?   I know Brian was having lots of personal issues at the time and i think there was some union or other issues (can't remember).    I always wondered why not use the nice polished versions that were basically done instead
of  re-doing it ?   I know this has been talked about at length,  but I can just imagine the faces  when the press and Capitol execs heard Smiley Smile. Smiley   I love it.   Wind Chimes, Little Pad ect.
I love the SS versions much more.  Can you imagine someone new,  bringing home Beach Boys Today, Pet Sounds then...Smiley SMile?HuhHuh  LOL.   
I think for people that don't take drugs....to get an idea, just listen to Smiley Smile.  The original mono mix. Smiley I've heard the bootlegs of the smile sessions,  what *I* hear on the sessions
is Brian is right on top of it.  And (nerd alert) I think Brian was using Tapewound strings on the bass (easier to play).    Just a super fascinating era for me. 
I bought Smiley Smile when I was in 5th or 6th grade.  I was like WHAT IS THAT?Huh??   WHAT IS GOING ON THERE!  Same effect as King Crimsons Lizard had on me as a kid.  Lets see,
50+ years later, both are still faves! Smiley

Darlin was done in the studio?  I love Wild Honey, very very minimalist also. How many bands can just have a bass and piano and occasional percussion and get away with it? Not many.

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: May 28, 2017, 07:13:36 PM »

Nice cover:

https://www.amazon.com/1967---Sunshine-Tomorrow/dp/B0714CTY2P?tag=ilovethatsong-20&ie=UTF8&linkCode=as2&ascsubtag=e3c3e5a928d6fe7791dd544c234b652f

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 28, 2017, 07:46:31 PM »

If enough ears get to hear this, I think this will increase (gradually) the audience for the BB or at least foster a greater appreciation for that era the same way Disc 3 of the 1993 box did.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 28, 2017, 07:52:05 PM »

Nice cover:
Looks dull.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 28, 2017, 10:55:12 PM »

Pre-ordered--as must be the case with most of this board & our fine feathered friends over at PS, since the CD is currently sitting at #17 in rock.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: May 29, 2017, 11:47:40 AM »

I could only source and pre-order the new soon to be released 180 gram WH vinyl from Amazon.com. However, ST I pre-ordered from .co.uk as it came in cheaper.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 29, 2017, 12:16:31 PM »

I'm waiting until the benign Dutch version of Amazon has it. It's just a matter of time.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 29, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »

Hey, nothing says easygoing album like bullying your cousin into giving up a hit tune cuz you have bills to pay. Jeesh, if only Mike learned the lawsuit game earlier in life to get cash, perhaps Redwood would've been a successful af band under the guidance of BW.

I wonder if that inspiration included Mike going to Heider's studio during a Redwood session Brian was producing, demanding the tapes from Brian as Carl stood by and watched, then walking out with them after shutting down the plans for the Redwood project Brian had been developing for Brother.

I'm gonna be honest. It's this kinda sh*t that makes me annoyed that the only two major Beach Boys forums around are this one and the Pet Sounds forum. Cuz it's like, in this case Brian is just pointing out how Mike inspired him as it relates to the Wild Honey material. Just that, that's it, simply put. But instead, because of the hatred of Mike it gets turned into how he's such a cocksucker because of what happened at Heider. The only issue was just about the Wild Honey material and lo and behold the freakin' moderator does this kinds sh*t...

Now don't get me wrong, I think Mike has been a major jerk and has behaved heinously many, many times in the history of the group. First off, from where I'm standing he's the guy who broke up The Beach Boys in 2012 yet still gets to use the name despite the fact that we coulda gotten countless more great albums and live performances together if he'd have manned up. The ridiculous lawsuit he filed about BWPS and the promotional CD from that era were reprehensible, not to mention the written material that came with it which I think described Brian as doing nothing from apparently 1967 through the early 2000s, and Al as being mentally ill. His constant repetition about the problems of the Wilson family over the years has also gotten beyond old, not to mention his inability to take responsibility for anything that hasn't worked out. So it goes without saying that I think Mike Love is not the best guy in the history of the world. Besides Bruce or Ricky Fataar, he's probably my least favorite Beach Boy*.

However, when talking about the music and the good memories that BRIAN HIMSELF was bringing up, could we at least give the group (including Mike) their due and discuss the material in that way? Now unlike people like filledeplage or other nitwits, I am not against discussing non-music issues as it pertains to the group, not at all. But just randomly writing sh*t just to throw shade, I think it's lame, and just adds to bullshit that has permeated the Beach Boys fan community for so long. And as far as having an online community these days, it's either stay here and deal with some of the ridiculousness or go to the Pet Sounds forum and experience the alt-right racism and hate from The Real Beach Boy and filledesplooge and their ilk or the Dr. Love apologetics of AGD and Cam. Kinda sucks.

*Sorry Ricky. besides your lead on "Here She Comes" and the drums on "Sail on, Sailor" I just don't know that much about ya or have much to judge you on!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 29, 2017, 01:46:43 PM »

Seriously?, GF2002 is one of the most level headed posters here....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 29, 2017, 03:31:16 PM »

At this time, Sunshine Tomorrow is currently sitting at #3 in Best Selling Rock Vinyl & CDs list on Amazon, a truly amazing sight to behold. I'm so ecstatic to see the Beach Boys and Wild Honey earning the wider recognition that they both deserve!

It just gets better every day.

And how I love that cover art - who's responsible for this?

I never was too fond of the band name being done in, what is it? Neon light-y? I mean, like it's done on the Made In California cover - for me it is something, erm, semiotic: it marks the transition from the BBs 'art' into 'commerce', so to speak.

Huge improvement from the artwork in TWGMTR and MiC, that's for sure.

What!? You don't like the half ass artwork for the 50th reunion album or that cheesy "yearbook" !!??
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: May 29, 2017, 05:02:51 PM »

Hey, nothing says easygoing album like bullying your cousin into giving up a hit tune cuz you have bills to pay. Jeesh, if only Mike learned the lawsuit game earlier in life to get cash, perhaps Redwood would've been a successful af band under the guidance of BW.

I wonder if that inspiration included Mike going to Heider's studio during a Redwood session Brian was producing, demanding the tapes from Brian as Carl stood by and watched, then walking out with them after shutting down the plans for the Redwood project Brian had been developing for Brother.

I'm gonna be honest. It's this kinda sh*t that makes me annoyed that the only two major Beach Boys forums around are this one and the Pet Sounds forum. Cuz it's like, in this case Brian is just pointing out how Mike inspired him as it relates to the Wild Honey material. Just that, that's it, simply put. But instead, because of the hatred of Mike it gets turned into how he's such a cocksucker because of what happened at Heider. The only issue was just about the Wild Honey material and lo and behold the freakin' moderator does this kinds sh*t...

Now don't get me wrong, I think Mike has been a major jerk and has behaved heinously many, many times in the history of the group. First off, from where I'm standing he's the guy who broke up The Beach Boys in 2012 yet still gets to use the name despite the fact that we coulda gotten countless more great albums and live performances together if he'd have manned up. The ridiculous lawsuit he filed about BWPS and the promotional CD from that era were reprehensible, not to mention the written material that came with it which I think described Brian as doing nothing from apparently 1967 through the early 2000s, and Al as being mentally ill. His constant repetition about the problems of the Wilson family over the years has also gotten beyond old, not to mention his inability to take responsibility for anything that hasn't worked out. So it goes without saying that I think Mike Love is not the best guy in the history of the world. Besides Bruce or Ricky Fataar, he's probably my least favorite Beach Boy*.

However, when talking about the music and the good memories that BRIAN HIMSELF was bringing up, could we at least give the group (including Mike) their due and discuss the material in that way? Now unlike people like filledeplage or other nitwits, I am not against discussing non-music issues as it pertains to the group, not at all. But just randomly writing sh*t just to throw shade, I think it's lame, and just adds to bullshit that has permeated the Beach Boys fan community for so long. And as far as having an online community these days, it's either stay here and deal with some of the ridiculousness or go to the Pet Sounds forum and experience the alt-right racism and hate from The Real Beach Boy and filledesplooge and their ilk or the Dr. Love apologetics of AGD and Cam. Kinda sucks.

*Sorry Ricky. besides your lead on "Here She Comes" and the drums on "Sail on, Sailor" I just don't know that much about ya or have much to judge you on!

For me, personally, I think the point was on topic because we're talking about something that happened during the same timeframe as was being discussed. Just my personal opinion, and nobody is required to agree.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 29, 2017, 06:33:14 PM »

In total fairness to Guitarfool, I mistakenly took Brian's quote out of context...Brian is referring to Smiley Smile (not Wild Honey) when he mentions that Mike inspired him. I keep forgetting there are Smiley Smile tracks on this set so I got confused when I was writing my rant of a post the other day. So if he was responding to my quote that's my bad for screwing the context of the quote up.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 29, 2017, 07:17:34 PM »

Wouldn't it be nice if a thread like this one did not have to turn into a Mike bash? It does get tiresome, especially since the Mike Brigade has chosen to take their crayons and move on...I mean, I understand the need to tweak those bozos now and again--like firing shots across the bow--but when a thread that is all about a fantastic archival release has to veer into the negative, we look worse than we really need to.

What I find to be among the most interesting aspects of BBs history is that WILD HONEY really is the last time that Brian and Mike seemed to work together "like the old days." It was a LOT more sporadic from that point on. So the question to ask is--was there something specific that prompted that change? Mike's trip to India took him out of the bulk of the FRIENDS sessions; Brian had depression issues that welled up after the FRIENDS sessions...the only Brian/Mike songs until 1976 are "Do It Again," "Add Some Music," "All I Wanna Do" and "Cool Cool Water." Seems like Jack Reiley had something to do with creating some additional separation between Brian and Mike as a songwriting team...

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2017, 08:01:28 PM »

*Oops...I didn't read closely before replying*
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:56:21 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 29, 2017, 08:22:15 PM »

Mike has more than one or two faults, Jay--just like most of us. His are just writ larger than most of us, in large part because he is in the public eye and seemingly has a giant need to keep stirring the pot.

And let's not escalate the antagonism here with loaded words like libel. You're not helping with what you wrote--and you know it.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 29, 2017, 08:48:37 PM »

Wouldn't it be nice if a thread like this one did not have to turn into a Mike bash? It does get tiresome, especially since the Mike Brigade has chosen to take their crayons and move on...I mean, I understand the need to tweak those bozos now and again--like firing shots across the bow--but when a thread that is all about a fantastic archival release has to veer into the negative, we look worse than we really need to.

Exactly. THANK YOU Don! Let's talk about the music. And when warranted, in other threads, those other things may come up and be of use, but not in a thread about the release of a bunch of super cool unreleased stuff.

What I find to be among the most interesting aspects of BBs history is that WILD HONEY really is the last time that Brian and Mike seemed to work together "like the old days." It was a LOT more sporadic from that point on. So the question to ask is--was there something specific that prompted that change? Mike's trip to India took him out of the bulk of the FRIENDS sessions; Brian had depression issues that welled up after the FRIENDS sessions...the only Brian/Mike songs until 1976 are "Do It Again," "Add Some Music," "All I Wanna Do" and "Cool Cool Water." Seems like Jack Reiley had something to do with creating some additional separation between Brian and Mike as a songwriting team...

Well, you are nearly correct. But there were a few more songs Brian and Mike did together during the Rieley era that you didn't mention; those being "He Come Down" (a Wilson-Love-Jardine co-write) and "Funky Pretty" (a Wilson-Love-Rieley co-write)  but as a whole your point still stands. And one has to wonder why this was.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 29, 2017, 09:25:32 PM »

*never mind*
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:03:17 PM by Jay » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 29, 2017, 09:59:39 PM »

Does anybody know what the unreleased Redwood instrumental is?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:05:00 PM by Jay » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2017, 10:02:17 PM »

*Oops. Double post*
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:05:24 PM by Jay » Logged

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 30, 2017, 03:34:10 AM »

Does anybody know what the unreleased Redwood instrumental is?
Somebody said it was on one of SOTs on this thread. Look up here.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 30, 2017, 03:52:01 AM »

All rab and gf2002 meant was there was darkness lurking behind the "sunshine tomorrow" that this release is trying hush up quietly.....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 30, 2017, 09:11:38 AM »

I don't think the release of 1967: Sunshine Tomorrow is trying to "hush" anything up.
Every member of this band is really excited about this and talking lovingly and freely about how much they loved this particular era and the work they did.
To a man, they were absolutely free of any angle, or politics, or spin and flowing with compliments and stories about each other.

The only ugliness I've seen regarding this project is here.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:12:07 AM by Howie Edelson » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 30, 2017, 09:53:21 AM »

I don't think the release of 1967: Sunshine Tomorrow is trying to "hush" anything up.
Every member of this band is really excited about this and talking lovingly and freely about how much they loved this particular era and the work they did.
To a man, they were absolutely free of any angle, or politics, or spin and flowing with compliments and stories about each other.

The only ugliness I've seen regarding this project is here.

Exactly Howie. It sure sounds like this project was something the guys enjoyed speaking about with you, and I think it's super unfortunate certain people who should know better have to always cast a shitty look upon it just because Mike Love is involved. The man did lots of great work as it pertains to the lyrics and vocals, especially on Wild Honey. So hows about we cast aside the agendas for a while and enjoy this project, and give Brian, Mike, Al and company a reason to think that maybe they should release something like this every year!

I know there are those on the other "side" that are still pushing their nonsense, but how about we rise above it?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2017, 10:08:12 AM »

If enough ears get to hear this, I think this will increase (gradually) the audience for the BB or at least foster a greater appreciation for that era the same way Disc 3 of the 1993 box did.

...is what I actually heard at my record retailer's, today.

I told him about ST, and he was very pleased with the news (the set hasn't been announced in his database yet, but it will happen). He's no diehard, but finds this phase in their career delightful; and some minutes later a couple joined our conversation. They were Beatles fans, but still told me that they at least would listen to ST.

What I bought?

The new Big Star tribute, new re-releases of two seminal reggae albums, and Debussy's La Mer - Prélude - Nocturnes, with Barenboim.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:48:50 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »

Agreed sweetdude on rising above, it's just hard after the last few years...

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx