gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:30:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow) 2CD Set?  (Read 181085 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 24, 2017, 11:27:21 PM »

I think the vast majority of the studio recordings are unreleased or "new".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 25, 2017, 03:43:16 AM »

65 tracks is extraordinary value. Has anyone calculated the total playing time?
dave_van_damn
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 25, 2017, 05:04:07 AM »

Wow this is exciting! One question though-

Is there anything here which is truly unreleased? Have all these tracks featured on bootlegs in the past?

This was discussed a couple pages back, but there is indeed unheard material on this disc, including (but not limited to) "Honey Get Home", "Game of Love", "Lonely Days (Alternate)", "Untitled (Redwood)", "Hide Go Seek", "Mama Says (Session Highlights)", "All Day All Night", and the "extended" 1967 "Surf's Up" recording.

Ahh, my bad; I did skim through all the pages but I missed that. Thanks for the run down!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 25, 2017, 08:02:25 AM »

65 tracks is extraordinary value. Has anyone calculated the total playing time?

No, but you're right.

Which makes me optimistic for a 'Friends', and other follow-ups. It is a fan thing, it is generous, it will sell, the numbers pressed won't be that high, but it won't be a loss leader.

Clearly a labour of love; and also it's not 'strictly academic', so to speak. It has a pleasant and spontaneous feel to me, not 'ramshackle', but simply joyous.

(Over a few years, I began to like the Made In California box more and more (more than I already did); for the same reasons. That one feels very 'free', mono and stereo versions, a bit of a wilfully 'semi-chaotic' track order on the last few disks, it's an great listening experience.)

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: May 25, 2017, 08:49:34 AM »

While the guys actually in the trenches (e.g. Boyd and Linett) have done great work even when constrained by budgets and deadlines and band/label politics, I think "Sunshine Tomorrow" is looking like a new phase where a lot more of the planets are aligning in terms of this being truly a great release.

While monumental releases like the PS and Smile boxes are second to none, and we've had a few deep dive archive releases without filler (e.g. "Endless Harmony Soundtrack"), we've certainly had to get through a number of "better than nothing" releases and some cash grabs (the PS 50th boxed set, the "Singles" boxed set), and cases where some amazing stuff is sandwiched between our 87 billionth copy of the same hits ("Made in California").

With guys like Howie Edelson involved, along with Boyd and Linett doing their thing in the studio, I think this is a new phase, and "Sunshine Tomorrow", without having heard a note of it, finally looks like the whole thing is running on all cylinders as far as not compromising the "hardcore fan" service with some half-assed marketing effort. I can tell this set was expertly programmed. It doesn't have 50% retread material. It's all mouth-watering stuff for hardcore fans. PLUS, it's properly programmed and designed so that it *can* also be marketed beyond the hardcores. Hipsters who dig PS can get turned onto this music. Some recognizable "hit" song titles are also strategically sprinkled in there as well.

What I do hope is that BRI can expand this sort of thing even beyond mainstream Capitol/UMe releases, because I know there's a limit to what they're going to want to do wide-release physical CD releases for. Hopefully all involved have high hopes for this release but also know it ain't going to sell a million copies, and hopefully this is the beginning of similar targeted physical release on Capitol *as well* as some "Dick's Picks" sort of deeper releases for fans (digital at the very least).

Howie knows what fans dig and what they want, and what's needed for archival releases, so I think this is our best chance yet to see an ongoing award-winning-caliber team in place to get more stuff out there, instead of past years where Boyd and Linett did everything they could with what they were given and we kind of just accidentally sometimes got some cool stuff.

Further, *all* of the guys/camps/estates should be coming out of the woodwork and doing the whole marketing synergy thing like the ex-Beatles/estates have done with group *and* solo projects. More archival and new releases from individual members could be piggybacked on all of this.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
quad73
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 25, 2017, 12:59:08 PM »

My first post here, and I can´t wait for this release. Getting my Sgt Pepper Deluxe set tomorrow but I think the Wild Honey release might be even more exciting  Cheesy Grin
I really hope that this is a sign of things to come for albums like Friends, 20/20 and Sunflowers.
Sunflower being my absolute favourite BB album.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 25, 2017, 01:37:03 PM »

Wow this is exciting! One question though-

Is there anything here which is truly unreleased? Have all these tracks featured on bootlegs in the past?

They're not using the "previously unreleased" designation on this set, perhaps because there's such a wealth of it that it might start to  seem redundant.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 25, 2017, 01:48:10 PM »

Thanks for your kinds words, Jude.

I don't want to besmirch any other band, but as someone who's quite aware of what's in several other group's vaults, of the "majors" (and I'm not exaggerating), The Beach Boys are the ONLY one where if its unreleased material was finally released, the entire narrative changes and history gets a revamp. The BB's are the only band who can get a 10th life from what they left on the cutting room floor. The Grateful Dead definitely do not have five more "Sugar Magnolia's" tucked away in the vault -- The BB's have 15.

There are many different avenues and tiers for this material to find its way out. I have a feeling that this release will break through to a new market.

I overheard two industry people today referring to it as the "followup to Smile."
Pretty cool.

Tell everyone you know about this LP.
If it sells, we'll get more.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2017, 01:48:57 PM »

Keep up the good fight Howie. Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 25, 2017, 02:07:23 PM »

I don't post often anymore, but I have to say thanks to everyone involved in getting this package out in such a gorgeous way!  I'm thankful for living long enough to see the band's vast unreleased vaults finally being properly harvested.  And the cover art is PERFECT!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:09:16 PM by mtaber » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: May 25, 2017, 02:42:15 PM »

I don't want to besmirch any other band, but as someone who's quite aware of what's in several other group's vaults, of the "majors" (and I'm not exaggerating), The Beach Boys are the ONLY one where if its unreleased material was finally released, the entire narrative changes and history gets a revamp. The BB's are the only band who can get a 10th life from what they left on the cutting room floor. The Grateful Dead definitely do not have five more "Sugar Magnolia's" tucked away in the vault -- The BB's have 15.

There are many different avenues and tiers for this material to find its way out. I have a feeling that this release will break through to a new market.

I overheard two industry people today referring to it as the "followup to Smile."
Pretty cool.

Well said as usual Howie.

I'll go one step further and say that the Beach Boys are the only band where a good portion of the time the unreleased material is better than much of the released material after a certain point. Hell, much of their unreleased material blows many other bands' released material out of the water!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 25, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »

Hell, "Why?" from the MIU sessions is better than the entire album.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: May 25, 2017, 04:01:20 PM »

Not better than "Matchpoint" or "Pitter Patter"!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 25, 2017, 04:04:03 PM »

What would be the 15 great Beach Boys songs still in the Vaults. I can think of a few

Carry Me Home
Boys And Girls
Out In The Country
Burlesque
Stevie
I'm A Man
I've Got A Friend(Backing Track)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:08:43 PM by icanhearmusic551 » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 25, 2017, 04:05:01 PM »

Pretty cool.

This is amazing news. I'm always telling people that The BBs are THE most underrated and misunderstood famous band out there, and hopefully this set will further that line of thinking in more peoples' eyes to get them newfound respect.

The famous Jack Rieley quote may have been true, but hopefully sets like these will go a ways towards undoing some of the regrettable in hindsight decisions that led to amazing material being shelved for decades.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:02:05 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 25, 2017, 04:13:11 PM »

Pretty cool.

#8 on amazon at the moment  Smiley

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 25, 2017, 04:44:46 PM »

What would be the 15 great Beach Boys songs still in the Vaults. I can think of a few

Carry Me Home
Boys And Girls
Out In The Country
Burlesque
Stevie
I'm A Man
I've Got A Friend(Backing Track)

There's supposed to be a version of Sweetie with Beach Boy vocals, but I don't know how finished it is or if it still exists.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 25, 2017, 05:24:29 PM »

Not better than "Matchpoint" or "Pitter Patter"!
Its better than both.  Grin

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2017, 06:03:14 PM »

Jay wins! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2017, 06:10:23 PM »

Exciting news, but stereo Smile material is conspicuously missing, especially so in light of the Pepper release. Still can't complain Smiley
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:13:07 PM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: May 25, 2017, 06:32:59 PM »

No way I'd want "Smile" material bogarting space on this set. We got a pretty epic Smile set already. Sure, I'd like them to collect any orphaned Smile stereo mixes somewhere. But it's time to highlight something else in their catalog outside of PS or Smile.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: May 25, 2017, 07:08:04 PM »

No way I'd want "Smile" material bogarting space on this set. We got a pretty epic Smile set already. Sure, I'd like them to collect any orphaned Smile stereo mixes somewhere. But it's time to highlight something else in their catalog outside of PS or Smile.

Agreed

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: May 25, 2017, 07:15:17 PM »

“I wanted to have a home environment trip where we could record at my house,” recalls Brian Wilson in the liner notes for 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow. “I wanted to try something different, something new. I produced Smiley Smile, but Mike inspired me. He said ‘Brian, let’s make a really good, easygoing album’. We had an engineer convert my den into a studio. We had my piano detuned to make it ring more.”

"We all really dug Motown, right?...So Brian reckoned we should get more into a white R&B bag. I also recall around that time the band, and Brian in particular, getting criticized very heavily for sounding like choirboys."  - Carl Wilson.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 25, 2017, 07:22:43 PM »

“I wanted to have a home environment trip where we could record at my house,” recalls Brian Wilson in the liner notes for 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow. “I wanted to try something different, something new. I produced Smiley Smile, but Mike inspired me. He said ‘Brian, let’s make a really good, easygoing album’. We had an engineer convert my den into a studio. We had my piano detuned to make it ring more.”

"We all really dug Motown, right?...So Brian reckoned we should get more into a white R&B bag. I also recall around that time the band, and Brian in particular, getting criticized very heavily for sounding like choirboys."  - Carl Wilson.

Hey, nothing says easygoing album like bullying your cousin into giving up a hit tune cuz you have bills to pay. Jeesh, if only Mike learned the lawsuit game earlier in life to get cash, perhaps Redwood would've been a successful af band under the guidance of BW.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 25, 2017, 07:24:07 PM »

I agree, it's the perfect era to try to pick up people who know the early stuff and PS, Wild Honey material is a great next step.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx