gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:02:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow) 2CD Set?  (Read 179507 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2017, 07:31:58 AM »

Does anyone else really envision this as a three disc box, with the first disc having already been released for a few years?

Disc One: Smiley Mono and Stereo CD (although I may begin with the stereo at Track 12 for my personal listening experience)

Disc Two: Smiley Sessions and Outtakes, Lei'd in Hawaii, etc.

Disc Three: Stereo Wild Honey, Wild Honey outtakes, etc.
I've never envisioned that, but it's pretty cool!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2017, 07:57:20 AM »

Live In Hawaii:  August 1967 (Previously Unreleased)
(The Beach Boys recorded two complete concerts and rehearsals in Honolulu on August 25 and 26, 1967. Brian Wilson rejoined the group onstage for these shows; Bruce Johnston was not present. The following tracks derive from the original 1” 8-track master reels discovered in the Brother Records Archives.)
29. Heroes And Villains (Rehearsal) (4:45)

Hey, wait, hold on.  Forgive me if I've got confused, but could this be the version with the Mike monologue?

The version with the Mike monologue was recorded at Wally Heider's for the recreated "live" album, the rehearsal take is from the actual Hawaii rehearsal, and has been previously released (on the Concert/Live in London 2fer)
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2017, 08:51:04 AM »

Live In Hawaii:  August 1967 (Previously Unreleased)
(The Beach Boys recorded two complete concerts and rehearsals in Honolulu on August 25 and 26, 1967. Brian Wilson rejoined the group onstage for these shows; Bruce Johnston was not present. The following tracks derive from the original 1” 8-track master reels discovered in the Brother Records Archives.)
29. Heroes And Villains (Rehearsal) (4:45)

Hey, wait, hold on.  Forgive me if I've got confused, but could this be the version with the Mike monologue?

The version with the Mike monologue was recorded at Wally Heider's for the recreated "live" album, the rehearsal take is from the actual Hawaii rehearsal, and has been previously released (on the Concert/Live in London 2fer)

Thanks for this.  So, in conclusion, I was indeed confused.  Still, nice to get these things out in the open, eh?
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2017, 09:23:33 AM »

Uh... wait, hang on. I just happened to play the Live In London/Concert twofer the day before yesterday, for the first time in many years, and that 1967 live rendition of H&V... well, it surely is ACTUALLY live, not a rehearsal. I mean, you can hear an audience throughout the performance but especially in the quieter parts, screaming for Dennis and suchlike (it's really irritating, actually!). So surely that final track on the twofer was one of the ACTUAL live performances, not a live rehearsal before the audience came in? (unless they had an audience for the rehearsals as well. I know that does happen these days sometimes, but I thought not for these particular recordings)

Now, I know you hear audience noise at the start of the track because it's partly crossfaded on that CD from a 1964 performance of Don't Worry Baby, but that's far from the only crowd noise - as I just said, it interrupts all through the H&V performance.

Of course, this highlights one of the great confusions there has been over the last 50 years about the Hawaii recordings. As I understand it (and do weigh in if I'm wrong here), there are three kinds of recordings from that period, all related to the Hawaii concerts but not all of which were recorded during the concerts... or indeed even IN Hawaii:

• the band recorded live rehearsals on-stage in Honolulu, with no audience, before the shows (the lovely live recording of Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring, as included at the end of the 1990s SS/WH twofer, was one of these, I believe... surely the definitive recording of the band performing that tune);

• they recorded two days' worth of actual concerts (so with the audience screaming away throughout - I believe this is where the live bootlegs of those shows come from, one of which is the only source for the short number Hawthorne Boulevard, and also, I believe, where the live H&V at the end of the Live In London/Concert twofer came from);

• They re-recorded some tracks from scratch at Wally Heider's studio once back in LA, presumably because the Hawaii recordings were technically deficient or they were too out of their gourds on-stage in Honolulu to give decent performances, which rendered the live tracks unsuitable for the planned live album. Just to confuse matters still further, it looks as though they kept also tape running throughout the Heider sessions, so there are a lot of rehearsals for the 'studio Hawaii tracks' (which actually aren't from Hawaii, but LA) too — so when tracks have appeared from these sessions on boots described as 'rehearsals', it's often been really hard to tell whether they're the live rehearsals on-stage in Hawaii, or the studio rehearsals from back in LA at Heider's. Anyway, this is where the beautiful, if slightly loose 'Smileyized' performances of the time for Help Me Rhonda, California Girls, and God Only Knows come from. The version of God Only Knows from here was on Endless Harmony (a version I love so deeply that it almost — almost — eclipses the studio original for me), and the versions of California Girls and Help Me Rhonda were on MiC.

As I recall, Surfer Girl from this period is really problematic in this respect, as they played it in the live rehearsals in Hawaii (one of these performances made it onto Disc 5 of the GV boxed set in 1993), they played it live at the Hawaii concerts, and from memory they also rehearsed and recorded it, I think, at Heider's. So when on bootlegs we've seen 'Surfer Girl (Lei'd In Hawaii version)' or 'Surfer Girl (Hawaii rehearsal)', it can be really hard to know exactly what the photon we're dealing with.

Urm. Is that roughly right? To return to topic, if the version of H&V really is a live Hawaii REHEARSAL, then I would expect it to be different from the last track on the Live In London/Concert twofer... which was a 'real' live recording from one of the actual Hawaii concerts. And I wouldn't expect it to be the version with the Mike 'Nuclear Bomb' monologue, as that was from the STUDIO rehearsals at Heider's, back in LA...

...er... I *think*.

Anybody wanna step in, here...?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 24, 2017, 09:29:24 AM »

The "fake" live surfer girl has the past tence lyrics "used to go".... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2017, 09:37:53 AM »

Uh... wait, hang on. I just happened to play the Live In London/Concert twofer the day before yesterday, for the first time in many years, and that 1967 live rendition of H&V... well, it surely is ACTUALLY live, not a rehearsal. I mean, you can hear an audience throughout the performance but especially in the quieter parts, screaming for Dennis and suchlike (it's really irritating, actually!). So surely that final track on the twofer was one of the ACTUAL live performances, not a live rehearsal before the audience came in? (unless they had an audience for the rehearsals as well. I know that does happen these days sometimes, but I thought not for these particular recordings)

Now, I know you hear audience noise at the start of the track because it's partly crossfaded on that CD from a 1964 performance of Don't Worry Baby, but that's far from the only crowd noise - as I just said, it interrupts all through the H&V performance.

Of course, this highlights one of the great confusions there has been over the last 50 years about the Hawaii recordings. As I understand it (and do weigh in if I'm wrong here), there are three kinds of recordings from that period, all related to the Hawaii concerts but not all of which were recorded during the concerts... or indeed even IN Hawaii:

• the band recorded live rehearsals on-stage in Honolulu, with no audience, before the shows (the lovely live recording of Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring, as included at the end of the 1990s SS/WH twofer, was one of these, I believe... surely the definitive recording of the band performing that tune);

• they recorded two days' worth of actual concerts (so with the audience screaming away throughout - I believe this is where the live bootlegs of those shows come from, one of which is the only source for the short number Hawthorne Boulevard, and also, I believe, where the live H&V at the end of the Live In London/Concert twofer came from);

• They re-recorded some tracks from scratch at Wally Heider's studio once back in LA, presumably because the Hawaii recordings were technically deficient or they were too out of their gourds on-stage in Honolulu to give decent performances, which rendered the live tracks unsuitable for the planned live album. Just to confuse matters still further, it looks as though they kept also tape running throughout the Heider sessions, so there are a lot of rehearsals for the 'studio Hawaii tracks' (which actually aren't from Hawaii, but LA) too — so when tracks have appeared from these sessions on boots described as 'rehearsals', it's often been really hard to tell whether they're the live rehearsals on-stage in Hawaii, or the studio rehearsals from back in LA at Heider's. Anyway, this is where the beautiful, if slightly loose 'Smileyized' performances of the time for Help Me Rhonda, California Girls, and God Only Knows come from. The version of God Only Knows from here was on Endless Harmony (a version I love so deeply that it almost — almost — eclipses the studio original for me), and the versions of California Girls and Help Me Rhonda were on MiC.

As I recall, Surfer Girl from this period is really problematic in this respect, as they played it in the live rehearsals in Hawaii (one of these performances made it onto Disc 5 of the GV boxed set in 1993), they played it live at the Hawaii concerts, and from memory they also rehearsed and recorded it, I think, at Heider's. So when on bootlegs we've seen 'Surfer Girl (Lei'd In Hawaii version)' or 'Surfer Girl (Hawaii rehearsal)', it can be really hard to know exactly what the photon we're dealing with.

Urm. Is that roughly right? To return to topic, if the version of H&V really is a live Hawaii REHEARSAL, then I would expect it to be different from the last track on the Live In London/Concert twofer... which was a 'real' live recording from one of the actual Hawaii concerts. And I wouldn't expect it to be the version with the Mike 'Nuclear Bomb' monologue, as that was from the STUDIO rehearsals at Heider's, back in LA...

...er... I *think*.

You pretty much got it, Matt. And yes, the live H&V at the end of the Concert/Live In London CD is from one of the two Honolulu concert performances, not a rehearsal.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2017, 09:45:13 AM »

Cool - don't know why I thought the Live in London was a rehearsal take.  A Good Vibrations rehearsal take was released I believe?  Anyway nice were getting another live version rather than a repeat of what was earlier released!
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 24, 2017, 10:09:18 AM »

Are all the WH stereo tracks new, or were the 2001~12 mixes recycled?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: May 24, 2017, 10:25:50 AM »

...er... I *think*.

You pretty much got it, Matt. And yes, the live H&V at the end of the Concert/Live In London CD is from one of the two Honolulu concert performances, not a rehearsal.

Here's the live version as released on the Concert/Live in London twofer; it comes from the first show IIRC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMrHHapsNoM

The second show is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1a5E9J32jk

Performance wise the second show was the better one. And I just want to repeat that I think the boys did a very good job performing H&V on stage. Unfortunately they didn't keep it in their set.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2017, 10:45:37 AM »

54 unrealeased recordings.  I am presuming  these ARE unrealeased.....not doubling tracks from MiC or such
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2017, 10:49:20 AM »

Cool - don't know why I thought the Live in London was a rehearsal take.  A Good Vibrations rehearsal take was released I believe? 

Yes - on the Hawthorne, CA compilation.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: May 24, 2017, 10:50:03 AM »

Newly mixed.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 24, 2017, 10:55:33 AM »

Let's open the Friends, 20/20, Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl & The Passions and Holland vaults.

What's with the Sunshine Tomorrow title??
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 01:32:58 PM by lostbeachboy » Logged
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 24, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »

Let's open the Friends, Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl & The Passions and Holland vaults.

Mabey from "Let The Wind Blow", "Take away their sorrows, give them sunshine tomorrow".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 24, 2017, 11:13:02 AM »

Let's open the Friends, Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl & The Passions and Holland vaults.

I like it very much.

It's thankfully not academic (The Annotated Survey Of One Of The Beach Boys' Most Intriguing Transitory Phases: The Wild Honey 50th Anniversary Tracks In Stereo And A Plethora Of Hitherto Unreleased Alternate Versions, Live Recordings, And Big Surprises That Even The Most Discerning Fans Haven't Heard Yet - Approved By The Band And Mike Love In Particular!!!')

Where was I? Oh, yes:

It is unexpected, and has something mystical about it: with a bit of insecurity and longing in it - and I always hear that line in my head when I read this title.

Wonderful, as is the artwork.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:13:33 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: May 24, 2017, 11:16:27 AM »

What? No love for 20/20Smiley

And yes, as pointed out above -* "sunshine tomorrow is from the "Let The Wind Blow" lyric.
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 24, 2017, 12:07:07 PM »

Newly mixed.

That's good. Hopefully this time it's more faithful to the mono than other stereo remixes as of late.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 24, 2017, 12:50:56 PM »

The "speed corrected" version still doesn't sound right to me. Unless Bruce used a weird singing technique. "Whaaaaat would you thhhhiiinnnnkkk if I saaaaang out of tuuuuunnnneeeee would you stttttaaaannnd up and waaaaalllllllkkkk oooouuuuutttt oooooooonnnnnnnn mmmmmmeeeeeeeeeee".

It still sounds like it is just a smidge slow still (if slow vs. fast are the terms we're using here). I realize this sits low in Bruce's range, but this still doesn't quite sound natural.
That's what I'm saying. It doesn't sound natural or "right".

This is probably close to the original speed re: Bruce's vocal: https://soundcloud.com/smileyhoneyfriends-1/with-a-little-help-from-my-friends-speed-corrected
I have no idea how they could get the track/BGV's and Bruce's vocal to all be at the same speed without some weird digital pitch/speed correction.

Looking forward to this new set and eagerly await another one for Friends next year!
Now, if you listen closely to this one, it seems like the backgrounds vocals are a "wall of Bruce". Interesting.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 24, 2017, 01:20:07 PM »

a "wall of Bruce"

none of their names' is not Bruce

not a one.

otherwise

we'd have a problem
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 24, 2017, 01:32:29 PM »

What? No love for 20/20?  Smiley

And yes, as pointed out above -* "sunshine tomorrow is from the "Let The Wind Blow" lyric.

Oh I got much love for 20/20! But I figured since 20/20 was more or less a collection of singles there wouldn't be much from the vaults
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 07:49:58 PM by lostbeachboy » Logged
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 24, 2017, 04:02:02 PM »

What? No love for 20/20Smiley

Thought this had been mentioned earlier, that this was another brilliant idea that sprang from the mind of Howie Edelson!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: May 24, 2017, 07:58:59 PM »

Oh I got much love for 20/20! But I figured since 20/20 was more or less a collection of singles there wouldn't be much from the vaults

Well, there's stuff like "Mona Kani" and "Old Man River" - which, granted, have since been released - but maybe they could include session tape excerpts, and live stuff from the era - like the two complete London shows from late '68.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »

I've got a feeling that they would couple Friends with 20/20 when they release archive collection on these albums. There are much more things in the vaults to put on the collection - Some unreleased songs from Friends era, Friends remake in Early 1970s, and of course, sessions and alternate mixes of each song.
dave_van_damn
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 24, 2017, 08:50:32 PM »

Wow this is exciting! One question though-

Is there anything here which is truly unreleased? Have all these tracks featured on bootlegs in the past?
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: May 24, 2017, 11:09:45 PM »

Wow this is exciting! One question though-

Is there anything here which is truly unreleased? Have all these tracks featured on bootlegs in the past?

This was discussed a couple pages back, but there is indeed unheard material on this disc, including (but not limited to) "Honey Get Home", "Game of Love", "Lonely Days (Alternate)", "Untitled (Redwood)", "Hide Go Seek", "Mama Says (Session Highlights)", "All Day All Night", and the "extended" 1967 "Surf's Up" recording.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx