gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:52:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow) 2CD Set?  (Read 179493 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2017, 09:53:05 AM »

This is absolutely incredible...and only twenty bucks!?!  Shocked
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2017, 10:00:42 AM »

I'm curious if the mono "album" version of "With a Little Help From My Friends" will play at Bruce's original intended speed (with "slow" vocal), while it's the stereo mix that has been re-done? I would assume that's the likelihood if they're pulling the "Lei'd In Hawaii" album proper from an original, vintage mix/tape.

I'm curious as well if they did the new mix of "With a Little Help.." by keeping the backing track at the same speed and then altering Bruce's voice digitally to keep it in the same key but sounding "speeded up" so to speak. It has been ages since I listened to it, but the "Rarities" version of the song was in the original (Beatles) key, so it was indeed always the "speed" of Bruce's voice that sounded off more than anything else. So I would imagine they'd be able to digitally "speed up" Bruce's voice but keep it at the same pitch and then also essentially "stretch" it so that it still fits the tempo of the same backing track.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:01:13 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2017, 10:20:46 AM »

I'm curious if the mono "album" version of "With a Little Help From My Friends" will play at Bruce's original intended speed (with "slow" vocal), while it's the stereo mix that has been re-done? I would assume that's the likelihood if they're pulling the "Lei'd In Hawaii" album proper from an original, vintage mix/tape.

I'm curious as well if they did the new mix of "With a Little Help.." by keeping the backing track at the same speed and then altering Bruce's voice digitally to keep it in the same key but sounding "speeded up" so to speak. It has been ages since I listened to it, but the "Rarities" version of the song was in the original (Beatles) key, so it was indeed always the "speed" of Bruce's voice that sounded off more than anything else. So I would imagine they'd be able to digitally "speed up" Bruce's voice but keep it at the same pitch and then also essentially "stretch" it so that it still fits the tempo of the same backing track.

Here you go:

This is the "slow" version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwqH4bj1zfw

And a speed corrected version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc8mRRZvNwA

EDIT:

Rolling Stone reports also:

Beach Boys Unearth Rare Songs for 'Sunshine Tomorrow' Set
Band will explore post-'Pet Sounds' era with alternate takes, live recordings from 'Wild Honey,' 'Smiley Smile' sessions

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-unearth-rare-songs-for-sunshine-tomorrow-set-w483761
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:44:29 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2017, 10:59:02 AM »

The "speed corrected" version still doesn't sound right to me. Unless Bruce used a weird singing technique. "Whaaaaat would you thhhhiiinnnnkkk if I saaaaang out of tuuuuunnnneeeee would you stttttaaaannnd up and waaaaalllllllkkkk oooouuuuutttt oooooooonnnnnnnn mmmmmmeeeeeeeeeee".
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:59:56 AM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2017, 11:03:10 AM »

Wow! Reading it like this makes it even more exciting!

So true. Knowing the details makes it so much more exciting now!

Particularly interested to hear a few of the tunes, such as what the alternates of "Lonely Days", "Cool Cool Water" and "Can't Wait Too Long" are. Is it possible a full "Lonely Days"? That'd be neat. And "Cool Cool Water"....it's longer than the 1993 box set version. I wonder if it has that "Child Is Father Of The Man" progression incorporated? And with "Can't Wait Too Long" I'm wondering if this is maybe a version that was found in the vaults as is? Or maybe it's a version with only 1967 work on it? And none of the work that Brian did on it during 1968 nor any of the sweetening apparently done during the Keepin' the Summer Alive sessions? One can assume due to the "(Alternate Early Version)" description that this may indeed be the case.

Also interested to hear how "All Day All Night" differs from "Whistle In" and of course I'm intrigued to see what "Honey Get Home" and "Hide Go Seek" are, and if they truly did have finished instrumental masters, that for whatever reason weren't used for vocals.

Also, I wonder if the mono mix of "The Letter" is the same as the mono mix issued on Rarities? We already know "With A Little Help From My Friends" will be different due to Bruce's vocals being slowed down on the Rarities version. And as I'm about to post this, I see HeyJude was wondering the same!

Lastly, with  "Surf's Up" I'm assuming that it's probably a few false starts and session chatter followed by a complete take. Although who knows? We'll find out soon enough!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:10:36 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2017, 11:11:19 AM »

The "speed corrected" version still doesn't sound right to me. Unless Bruce used a weird singing technique. "Whaaaaat would you thhhhiiinnnnkkk if I saaaaang out of tuuuuunnnneeeee would you stttttaaaannnd up and waaaaalllllllkkkk oooouuuuutttt oooooooonnnnnnnn mmmmmmeeeeeeeeeee".

It still sounds like it is just a smidge slow still (if slow vs. fast are the terms we're using here). I realize this sits low in Bruce's range, but this still doesn't quite sound natural.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »

I'm wondering if "Can't Wait To Long"  has sections we've never heard before, or if the 1967 version of Surf's Up is an alternate take from the demo session. I noticed it has a run time of over five minutes.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2017, 11:14:50 AM »

The surf's up take is probably the full run-through BW did while tuning the piano for wild honey.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2017, 11:18:32 AM »

It still sounds like it is just a smidge slow still (if slow vs. fast are the terms we're using here). I realize this sits low in Bruce's range, but this still doesn't quite sound natural.
That's what I'm saying. It doesn't sound natural or "right".

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2017, 11:21:14 AM »

The surf's up take is probably the full run-through BW did while tuning the piano for wild honey.
I think I read that Brian did four or five "takes", with none of them being complete.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2017, 11:23:15 AM »

I am so excited for this set! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2017, 11:34:36 AM »

I think I read that Brian did four or five "takes", with none of them being complete.

I can't wait for this... the perfect set sans a possible Friends box set.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2017, 11:41:21 AM »

Wink

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2017, 12:55:46 PM »

Defiantly buying it!  Cool Guy

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2017, 01:05:20 PM »

So excited  Grin

Big, Big , BIG thank you to all involved.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »

I am so happy about this release! I'll be buying both the CD set and the stereo WH LP.

Thanks to all involved.
ericxplackis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2017, 01:22:57 PM »

1st post  

Can't wait for Wild Honey in stereo  Grin
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:36:30 PM by Big Boss » Logged
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2017, 02:10:02 PM »

Is it possible a full "Lonely Days"? That'd be neat.

No it was built using the recording we know by having in instrumental pass of just the track without vocal.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2017, 12:54:58 AM »

This is probably close to the original speed re: Bruce's vocal: https://soundcloud.com/smileyhoneyfriends-1/with-a-little-help-from-my-friends-speed-corrected
I have no idea how they could get the track/BGV's and Bruce's vocal to all be at the same speed without some weird digital pitch/speed correction.

Looking forward to this new set and eagerly await another one for Friends next year!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2017, 02:38:05 AM »

Completely unexpected, delightful, superb, and wonderful -

who'd a thunk it?

With my Smiley Smile stereo disk, this is just a fantastic new perspective on the era.

By popular demand, there will no doubt be a Friends counterpart.

(BTW, I just looked at the site of my local retailer. ST isn't up there yet, but I spotted a funny unintended gag:

the Japanese version of a certain BBs album was titled: Stuck O'Trucks.

I've been wondering for 20 mins. now whatever that could mean?

Whoever has an idea, please let me know!)

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2017, 02:48:48 AM »

Live In Hawaii:  August 1967 (Previously Unreleased)
(The Beach Boys recorded two complete concerts and rehearsals in Honolulu on August 25 and 26, 1967. Brian Wilson rejoined the group onstage for these shows; Bruce Johnston was not present. The following tracks derive from the original 1” 8-track master reels discovered in the Brother Records Archives.)
29. Heroes And Villains (Rehearsal) (4:45)

Hey, wait, hold on.  Forgive me if I've got confused, but could this be the version with the Mike monologue?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2017, 04:12:28 AM »

Hi, Don.

If your local retailer is Dutch, it sounds to me like a case of mistaken pronunciation somewhere down the line. Like "wraps" being mispronounced "frups". Grin   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2017, 04:32:32 AM »

Hi, Don.

If your local retailer is Dutch, it sounds to me like a case of mistaken pronunciation somewhere down the line. Like "wraps" being mispronounced "frups". Grin   

Ah! Cheers JK -

one of those occasions where I think: I should've thought of it...

...now, I hear a German voice in my fantasy, shouting out the infamous English four letter word... he or she actually pronounces that very near to what: 'f-ah-k' sounds like in our ears. So in a sense, the 'a' and 'u' are perhaps easily interchangeable, when one thinks visually.

Stick O'Tricks? Stock O'Trocks? Steck O'Trecks?

I get confused...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2017, 06:18:45 AM »

This is probably close to the original speed re: Bruce's vocal: https://soundcloud.com/smileyhoneyfriends-1/with-a-little-help-from-my-friends-speed-corrected
I have no idea how they could get the track/BGV's and Bruce's vocal to all be at the same speed without some weird digital pitch/speed correction.

Looking forward to this new set and eagerly await another one for Friends next year!

It looks like both version of "With a Little Help..." have the same running time on the new set, and these running times pretty much match up with the "old" version of the song as heard on "Rarities."

So if they've fixed Bruce's vocal, then some sort of digital pitch correction or digital time stretching was likely used, as the song would indeed be significantly shorter if they were just speeding up the tape to make Bruce's voice correct. Howie has already mentioned that they didn't simply speed the entire tape up.

That Soundcloud clip indeed sounds like it's probably pretty close to what Bruce's voice should sound like.

The question is, what speed was everything originally recorded in (and thus, what key did they record the backing track in, and what key did they intend?).

One scenario is that they recorded the backing track (and perhaps backing vocals?) in its original key as heard on "Rarities", and then Bruce speeded up the tape and then recorded his lead vocal so that when the song was slowed down back to its original speed, his voice and his voice alone would "sound slow." Howie has mentioned that it wasn't a production/mastering error that led to his weird voice but rather Bruce's choice of slowing his voice down. I'm curious to know *when* in the process of recording that Bruce decided he didn't like his own voice and decided he would slow it down. If it was during rehearsals prior to recording, then he could have indeed planned in advance to record the backing track, and then speed the tape up to cut his vocal so that it would sound "slower/lower" when returned to normal speed. So that's all just one scenario.

Another scenario is that the BB's *didn't* record the backing track in its original key as heard on "Rarities", but instead recorded it in a higher key at a faster tempo. Bruce would then have added his lead, and then both the backing track and his lead would be in a lower key and slower when the tape was slowed down. Perhaps it was at this "slower" speed that BB backing vocals were added, leading to *something* always being off speed when played back at either a slow or fast speed.

It appears the running time on all versions (both versions on the new set and the old "Rarities" version) have the same running time more or less, which presumably means all versions will have the same tempo. If Scenario #2 above is true, then they would need to then raise the pitch on the lead vocal and backing track while leaving the backing vocals and tempo the same, or "speed up" the entire thing but then pitch correct the backing vocals without making them sound "sped up". I don't think the latter is possible given the running time of the song on the new set. If Scenario #1 above is true, they would need to only pitch correct or "speed up" the lead vocal but then stretch it back out so it matches the tempo of the backing track.

Or, I don't know what I'm talking about!  3D

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2017, 06:59:35 AM »

Does anyone else really envision this as a three disc box, with the first disc having already been released for a few years?

Disc One: Smiley Mono and Stereo CD (although I may begin with the stereo at Track 12 for my personal listening experience)

Disc Two: Smiley Sessions and Outtakes, Lei'd in Hawaii, etc.

Disc Three: Stereo Wild Honey, Wild Honey outtakes, etc.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx