gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:33:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow) 2CD Set?  (Read 179498 times)
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2017, 05:17:37 PM »

I always assumed that the "live" designation for those tracks meant that they were recorded live in studio by the entire group in one take, with no overdubbing afterwards. Because they sure as hell never played Game of Love live, that's for sure!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2017, 06:03:57 PM »

"Hide Go Seek" kinda sounds like a reworking of "Don't Back Down".
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2017, 09:43:18 PM »

Count me in. This is exactly the kind of archival release that needs to be getting out there.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2017, 03:16:04 AM »

I just posted most of this in... another place, but it should go here too...

Been super busy the last coupla days... and had only been checking in here every few days, wondering when something was gonna happen with the 'new' Wild Honey release. Just logged in to look again, and CANNOT. BELIEVE. MY. EYES.

Two minutes ago, I was reading, got to the end of the first disc tracklisting and thought that was all. I went 'yeah, that's a cool release. I'll have that. I'm pretty pleased with that, I guess.' And then I realised... there was more. And within ten seconds of that, I was literally WHOOPING. "It's f***in' Smiley Smile outtakes and alt mixes TOO?Huh? You are KIDDING ME???!!!!"

And of course, new stereo mixes of the whole album, Heider session highlights, CWTL alt mix, stuff we've known as 'Lei'd In Hawaii' and I guess, er, 'A Vocal Element' for years now... ALL of that too.

This is, like, a dream release for me. Literally, as in I HAVE actually dreamt of having something like this since about 1997.

I cannot wait to hear this mutha. Capitol, take my money. Right now.

Mr Linett, Mr Boyd, Craig S, whoever else is responsible... thank you. You have basically managed to have legally released what we've all wanted for bloody YEARS. That must have taken unending patience, perseverance and effort.

Oh yeah... And thanks to those, er, Beach Boys guys too, I guess. Cheers!

Begone, May. Begone, June. Gimme. Just... gimme.

PS As a final note, yeah, I guess this IS the 1967 copyright extension release a few months early. I mean, with this coming out, the BB vault cupboards are pretty much cleaned out of 1967 material we want to hear, aren't they? I can't think of anything that's missing apart from 'Good Time Mama' 'Good News' and 'Hawaiian Song'... and I'll wager we'll find out what happened to them in the liner notes. I have no 'inside' telling me that... that's just a guess. But basically this release gives us all the tracks we want, and I'm betting the liners will give us the *information* we've all been wondering about for years. The team behind this are arch-fans like us, remember? And so I'll bet, like a lot of others have previously said here, that those three Smiley era 'tracks' were just section titles for bits of She's Going Bald and Little Pad, before those tracks got their final titles.

...er... probably.

PPS And yeah, Cabinessenceking. Yeah. Best release since SMiLE came out. No contest.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 03:18:26 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2017, 06:18:27 AM »

I was feeling kinda blah about my summer...
Is it overly dramatic to say now I am stoked and have something to live for?
So excited.  Can't wait.  Thanks to all involved.
I love this era.
I love The Beach Boys.
Life is good.
Damn.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2017, 07:07:14 AM »

I cannot resist dropping in to say that this is the most exciting BB news since the Smile box, and I am so incredibly stoked to get this.

Returning to lurk mode.   Cool
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2017, 07:18:21 AM »

Color me excited.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2017, 07:28:46 AM »

Official announcement? US release date?

Every wave is new until it breaks.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2017, 07:45:45 AM »

Great stuff here, Nice to see all of the principal members excited about something, especially Mike excited about this kind of release. He hasn't always been all about these archival releases in the past.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2017, 10:21:27 AM »

PS As a final note, yeah, I guess this IS the 1967 copyright extension release a few months early. I mean, with this coming out, the BB vault cupboards are pretty much cleaned out of 1967 material we want to hear, aren't they? I can't think of anything that's missing apart from 'Good Time Mama' 'Good News' and 'Hawaiian Song'... and I'll wager we'll find out what happened to them in the liner notes. I have no 'inside' telling me that... that's just a guess. But basically this release gives us all the tracks we want, and I'm betting the liners will give us the *information* we've all been wondering about for years. The team behind this are arch-fans like us, remember? And so I'll bet, like a lot of others have previously said here, that those three Smiley era 'tracks' were just section titles for bits of She's Going Bald and Little Pad, before those tracks got their final titles.

Wait...will this be a physical copy unlike the previous copyright extension releases?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2017, 11:45:50 AM »

Just for the fun of it, here's the Rolling Stone's review of Wild Honey from 1968:

In any case it's good to see that the Beach Boys are getting their heads straight once again.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/wild-honey-19680224

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2017, 03:16:15 PM »

Wait...will this be a physical copy unlike the previous copyright extension releases?

It says "Disc 1" and "Disc 2" with the track numbering restarting at "1" on Disc 2.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/the-beach-boys-1967-sunshine-tomorrow/hnum/7269813

Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2017, 03:28:38 PM »

SPIN CDs of Newcastle show the 2 CD set at £12.99. Now, I regard that price as a bargain considering all these tracks !!!!!

(I am not pushing Spin, btw.....merely surprised at the low price
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2017, 06:04:25 PM »

The expanded "Party" release was physical.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2017, 09:42:27 PM »

Oh yeah I forgot about that one.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2017, 05:55:38 AM »

This is a fantastic release from the vaults and more than I think any fan could have expected.  Kudos to BRI.  BUT . . . I guess this means a complete release of all the Smile sessions, every instrumental take and vocal session still extant, is not in the cards for 2017, the 40th anniversary and copy extension year?  I was hoping that would be the case . . . unless a digital only release at the end of the year is still a possibility.  Pepper is getting an anniversary release, Brian's "Pepper" should likewise.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2017, 09:14:35 AM »

All I can say is - wait 'til you hear "Aren't You Glad" in Stereo.
Mmm, mmm, mmm....
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »

For the record. . .

"Hawaiian Song" is merely the backing track to one of the sections to "Little Pad."

There is no tape for "Good Time Mama" -- although it MIGHT simply be a listing for a portion of "She's Goin' Bald."

"Good News," -- although it sounds great -- was deemed not releasable. Two acoustics and Al barely on-mic running through The Kingston Trio tune.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2017, 10:39:11 AM »

Will "with a little help from my friends" be at the right speed?
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2017, 11:04:14 AM »

Yes, it is at the "right" speed.

But I pressed Bruce hard on this and he admitted that it was HE -- and not a mastering snafu -- that slowed it and made it sound sluggish, because he wasn't happy with his vocal. I told him he was nuts. He said that if we truly thought it sounded better with how it was originally recorded to go ahead and "fix" it. Linett & Boyd went back and got it done beautifully. And It wasn't as easy to do as it sounds -- Mark could elaborate far better on exactly what needed to be done (maybe the backing vocs were recorded at a different speed? There was something -- I'm forgetting) -- I just recall it being a bit more more of a task than simply speeding a tape up -- and they nailed it.

I hate being cagey and letting stuff out without all of you hearing this. I really can't wait for everyone to have this.
This collection is TRULY what we've all dreamed about.

This is Grammy worthy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2017, 11:11:44 AM »

Mmm, mmm, mmm....

C-man, can we expect to see some of your wonderful session research for this release?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2017, 11:34:42 AM »

Mmm, mmm, mmm....

C-man, can we expect to see some of your wonderful session research for this release?

Yes, but not a full-blown sessionography this time - for about half the album, the master takes are the only surviving multi-track tapes, so those are the only ones where we get to hear all the takes with chatter in-between, allowing us to determine who is playing what. Plus, space was limited. But, you'll get a ton of great sounding music and Howie's superb liner notes, with a little bit of historical session info.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2017, 11:40:27 AM »

Mmm, mmm, mmm....

Yes, but not a full-blown sessionography this time - for about half the album, the master takes are the only surviving multi-track tapes, so those are the only ones where we get to hear all the takes with chatter in-between, allowing us to determine who is playing what. Plus, space was limited. But, you'll get a ton of great sounding music and Howie's superb liner notes, with a little bit of historical session info.

Good enough for me! Thanks!

- Jack Rieley
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2017, 01:10:39 PM »

For the record. . .

"Hawaiian Song" is merely the backing track to one of the sections to "Little Pad."

There is no tape for "Good Time Mama" -- although it MIGHT simply be a listing for a portion of "She's Goin' Bald."

"Good News," -- although it sounds great -- was deemed not releasable. Two acoustics and Al barely on-mic running through The Kingston Trio tune.

Woah! Thank you Howie (and indeed apologies for omitting you from the list of those I personally thanked above). That's a first for me... I've been wondering about what those tracks might be since late 1995, and this is the first time ever I've read the inside info on what they really are. I guess Good Time Mama will forever remain a semi-mystery, but I've always thought that was the end part of 'She's Goin' Bald' anyway, so I won't be losing too much sleep over that one.

Oh yeah, and it's really not just all about the Smiley outtakes for me, here, either. I am *really* keen to hear the new WH mixes. C-man's post above about Aren't You Glad — absolutely one of my favourite Beach Boys tracks — is making me even MORE excited about the new release. And I didn't think that was possible!

Cheers everyone!   Wink

MattB
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:13:32 PM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2017, 01:40:58 PM »

That is an awesome set! Cant wait to get it! Anyone know which ones haven't been booted before?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx