gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:31:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow) 2CD Set?  (Read 179471 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 08:52:31 AM »

Sh*t. Think I'm more excited for this than the Pepper box.

I don't know if I'd quite go that far, as Apple's Pepper set is kind of mind-blowing in that it's the first time ever that Apple has dug in and done multiple discs of outtakes on one single album.

But yeah, the "Wild Honey" set looks amazing. I sense there may just be better leadership at BRI these days, and the right folks are being allowed to do the right thing in the right way with the back catalog and archival releases. It looks like they *crammed* as much as they absolutely could into this set. It also looks like it was programmed with extreme care, truly appealing to and being an excellent value for hardcore fans, but also including some key hit song titles and some "Smile" bits to pump up this release even more with casual fans and the critics and get the appropriate kind of buzz. It truly appears to be a "1967" set rather than simply a "Wild Honey" set.
You finally get the job? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2017, 09:15:36 AM »

Amazing tracklisting. WOW. They're getting my bucks on this.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 09:16:22 AM »

Its almost a companion to the smile sessions box!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 09:17:12 AM »

Holy crap, this is absolutely amazing! Now, the original intended tracklisting of Wild Honey can finally be put together! IMO, the Sgt. Pepper box set lost me when they decided against "Carnival of Light", so it's nice to have something new to look forward to.

If I had to guess, if BRI is planning on releasing similar collections to this one, they'd most likely focus on two albums per collection. So, if we're going in chronological order, we'd see Friends/20/20 next, followed by Sunflower/Surf's Up. Thirty tracks per disc should be enough to cover the Sunflower material, right?

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 09:26:58 AM »

Lovely stuff.

I wonder if this is a kind of deluxe copyright extension release?

Any idea of price?
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 10:03:45 AM »

"Freinds" and "Love You" should be the next two sets...  Grin
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 11:15:53 AM »

Every LP should be (and could be) given this treatment. Like I said before, this thing is a best case scenario. The only shortcoming is that there's not a 3rd, 4th, and 5th disc. The BB catalogue and vaults should be allowed to be handled in a way that's amalgam of both FTD and Dave's Picks. The team is finally in place to make it happen.

I can tell you this, the band is all stoked about this being released and I felt a really warm communal pride from each of them about this music/era being singled out. They all talked incredibly lovingly about this material.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 11:36:24 AM »

Every LP should be (and could be) given this treatment. Like I said before, this thing is a best case scenario. The only shortcoming is that there's not a 3rd, 4th, and 5th disc. The BB catalogue and vaults should be allowed to be handled in a way that's amalgam of both FTD and Dave's Picks. The team is finally in place to make it happen.

I can tell you this, the band is all stoked about this being released and I felt a really warm communal pride from each of them about this music/era being singled out. They all talked incredibly lovingly about this material.

Thanks for your insights, Howie. That they have such warm feelings for the material is great. It also probably means material from specific other later eras might not elicit those same feelings, but I hope they can still get on board for this sort of treatment for all the albums. A "Holland" era deluxe set could be mind-blowing. The second disc of a set for "Keepin' the Summer Alive" could be more interesting than the KTSA album itself.

Not that every release has to be themed to any specific album. They probably should compile a bunch of Brian's stuff from the 70s and, as much as it's a misnomer, just call it "The Bedroom Tapes."

We can only hope that perhaps BRI is able to continue to service these types of releases to Capitol as the more "mainstream" side of these releases, and perhaps can also work on more of the "Dick's Picks" sort of stuff as downloads for the hardcore fans.

I'm really digging that the tracklisting for this new 2 CD set has a lot of strategy and thought put into it. It isn't fleshed out with like 37 versions of the same live song as on last year's PS set, and instead singles out the key SS/WH tracks from those '67 shows, and then fills in a few other interesting curios from Hawaii, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 11:36:43 AM »

I'm giddy like a schoolgirl over this Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 11:39:37 AM »

We've got to get this set to sell and move units! If we want future sets of other BB albums to get similar treatment, that is.

I hope there's a way to tie in purchases of people buying the deluxe Sgt. Pepper and this.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 11:42:10 AM »

We've got to get this set to sell and move units! If we want future sets of other BB albums to get similar treatment, that is.

I hope there's a way to tie in purchases of people buying the deluxe Sgt. Pepper and this.

Amazon's "people who bought this also bought....." feature helps sometimes with this.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 12:09:10 PM »

Sh*t. Think I'm more excited for this than the Pepper box.

Happily I already have a Pepper box (next to the Salt box).

As for the price of this 2CD set, if the figure in the German link is anything to go by, it should cost us mainland Europeans little more than 20 euros (at least I hope so).

I have this € 25 gift voucher from Bol.com (the more benign Dutch version of Amazon) leering at me from the wall above my desk. Little does it know...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2017, 12:17:54 PM »

Has recently been discerned who wrote "Lonely Days"?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2017, 12:46:56 PM »

I wonder(i.e. hope with every fiber of my being) if the Redwood instrumental is their version of Darlin'?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2017, 12:52:53 PM »

Wow. So excited about this! Almost seems like a dream to get some of those titles that I never thought would get release, like "Honey Get Home", "Hawthorne Boulevard", "All Day All Night" and "Game Of Love."

I only have one nitpick though. I don't really like that it looks as if we will get supposed "alternate versions" of "The Letter", "Lonely Days", "Cool, Cool Water" and "Can't Wait Too Long" where it woulda been nice to have all those random Wild Honey outtakes collected together, instead of scattered. But actually what we are getting on this set remains to be seen.

I will say it seems as though certain titles may have been lost over time, or in fact were just other names for tunes we already know. Of which, I'm speaking about "Good Time Mama" and "Good News." And  though I "Hawaiian Song" was apparently something that ultimately became "Little Pad", it doesn't seem like it warranted release I guess.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2017, 12:54:35 PM »

I'm giddy like a schoolgirl over this Cool
+1!   Grin

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »

Wow. So excited about this! Almost seems like a dream to get some of those titles that I never thought would get release, like "Honey Get Home", "Hawthorne Boulevard", "All Day All Night" and "Game Of Love."

I only have one nitpick though. I don't really like that it looks as if we will get supposed "alternate versions" of "The Letter", "Lonely Days", "Cool, Cool Water" and "Can't Wait Too Long" where it woulda been nice to have all those random Wild Honey outtakes collected together, instead of scattered. But actually what we are getting on this set remains to be seen.

I will say it seems as though certain titles may have been lost over time, or in fact were just other names for tunes we already know. Of which, I'm speaking about "Good Time Mama" and "Good News." And  though I "Hawaiian Song" was apparently something that ultimately became "Little Pad", it doesn't seem like it warranted release I guess.

It has been awhile since I listened to "Hawthorne Blvd." from the Hawaii gig. My recollection is it's not exactly a brilliant instrumental piece. But it definitely belongs here for a myriad of reasons; it's certainly interesting as part of the story of 1967 and those Hawaii gigs.

Those Hawaii gigs in some ways sound unlike any other shows they ever did; they're important to hear. 

ThreeCats
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2017, 01:58:54 PM »

I'm really excited for this. I hope we get a similar Friends/2020 set next year.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2017, 02:09:28 PM »

No one's thanked you for posting this link and that list, Polly, so I'll do it now. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2017, 02:58:15 PM »

Hoping it's gonna have a super ultimate, newly-revised version of Can't Wait Too Long on it.

I always felt that the two slightly different edits that have been officially released left much to be desired in terms of editing together a cohesive and not-too-repetitious version. I wouldn't be against flying in a few vocals that could fit, as was done on a few SMiLE Sessions tracks. After all, we will already have previously-released versions that we can listen to if we don't like a newly tweaked-with version.

Hopefully, we are getting your wish. Can't wait to hear this new version!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2017, 03:11:33 PM »

I'm still trying to figure these two tracks out:

22 Game Of Love (Outtake / Live / 1967)

24 With A Little Help From My Friends (Stereo Mix / Live / 1967)

They surely weren't played on the bottlegged Hawaii shows. Of "With a little help from my friends" there's only that studio recording with Bruce on lead making the rounds. Or is it filed under "live" because it was recorded during the sweetening sessions for the live album (if that is even the case)?

Anyway, since the Lei'd in Hawaii shows only were available in unusable quality for an official release on it's own, do you think they might have found the original tapes and we could expect some improvements in sound or is there no way those recordings can be made better sounding?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2017, 04:13:59 PM »

Fuckk. Yes

Best news since Smile came out!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:17:36 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2017, 04:56:26 PM »

26 Wild Honey (Live In Detroit / 1967)

Happy Dance Love Rock! Listening Brian, Dennis, & Carl w00t!

Not to mention the entire package. (Sometimes emoticons say it best.)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2017, 05:07:46 PM »

What--no My Little Red Book?? Forget it, I ain't buyin'....  Evil

Seriously--what an amazing development...heartened by Howie's words that we may be seeing many similar products in the next few years, timed perfectly for the band's most interesting period.
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2017, 05:09:02 PM »

I'm still trying to figure these two tracks out:

22 Game Of Love (Outtake / Live / 1967)

24 With A Little Help From My Friends (Stereo Mix / Live / 1967)

They surely weren't played on the bottlegged Hawaii shows. Of "With a little help from my friends" there's only that studio recording with Bruce on lead making the rounds. Or is it filed under "live" because it was recorded during the sweetening sessions for the live album (if that is even the case)?

It nah be a slight typo possibly. Because those two songs were recorded during sessions at Brian's house
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx