gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:49:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow) 2CD Set?  (Read 179046 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 09, 2017, 04:01:12 PM »

I'm sorry if this has been covered but would anyone know who is in the room with Brian as he is tracking "Darlin?"  He starts solo then bass and drums eventually join.  He refers to Carl at one point...which instrument, if at all, is he playing?

If I remember correctly (and I may not so bear with me) Carl plays the drums on the original run through of Darlin and Hal Blaine plays them on the final recording mixed over top of or completely replacing Carl's drum track. If anyone knows more information then me please fill in the blanks haha

You are correct! Here is c-man's post:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18127.msg470901.html#msg470901

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 09, 2017, 05:24:29 PM »

I'm sorry if this has been covered but would anyone know who is in the room with Brian as he is tracking "Darlin?"  He starts solo then bass and drums eventually join.  He refers to Carl at one point...which instrument, if at all, is he playing?

If I remember correctly (and I may not so bear with me) Carl plays the drums on the original run through of Darlin and Hal Blaine plays them on the final recording mixed over top of or completely replacing Carl's drum track. If anyone knows more information then me please fill in the blanks haha

You are correct! Here is c-man's post:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18127.msg470901.html#msg470901

Thank you both!  C-man references an online sessionography...where can I find that?
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 10, 2017, 06:26:26 AM »

He has not completed it yet
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 10, 2017, 07:33:53 AM »

Four years and counting ...
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 10, 2017, 05:05:52 PM »

Debuted in the Top 30 of the Billboard charts. Pretty impressive for an archival release for a couple of criminally underrated albums, no? Proof that more of this kind of quality production should happen in the future? Let's hope so.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7850310/ed-sheeran-calvin-harris-uk-midweek-albums-chart
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 10, 2017, 05:44:15 PM »

Finally got my CD copy, now just sitting in the sweet spot staring at my stereo, enjoying the sounds. (Aside, I have the spatializer hooked up so some sounds sound like they're coming from 'outside' the speakers; I note that Stephen Desper is credited as a recording engineer, too!)

So here's my formal thanks to all involved in making this great package!

I have to say, I do love the Smiley organ.

Watch out for snakes!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: July 10, 2017, 06:49:03 PM »

Debuted in the Top 30 of the Billboard charts. Pretty impressive for an archival release for a couple of criminally underrated albums, no? Proof that more of this kind of quality production should happen in the future? Let's hope so.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7850310/ed-sheeran-calvin-harris-uk-midweek-albums-chart

Keep in mind that this is the UK charts, not sure how it's performing in the US at the moment. Anybody know yet?

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 10, 2017, 09:44:10 PM »

Four years and counting ...

But who is counting?

(I am counting) Sad
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 11, 2017, 12:23:22 PM »

Sunshine Tomorrow debuted at 145 in the US.  50 Big Ones also made a reappearance at 142.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: July 11, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »

It's already performing better on the charts than Sunflower and M.I.U. Album did!

BTW, listening back to the album, I noticed that on the instrumental backing track to "Aren't You Glad", the drums are completely absent. Was that not the final take? Or were the drums overdubbed along with the vocals?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 01:14:55 PM by jiggy22 » Logged

cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 11, 2017, 06:27:25 PM »

I've listened to this (mono) since 68 or so.  I do mixdowns of stuff,  listen to lots of things and analyze how something is recorded ect.  But every time I listen to this in mono...i STILL hear
more than actually there.  It's just amazing how its very sparse instrumentation on many songs...but my mind doesn't think about that.  Does that make sense?
I don't hear it (or the Beatles For Sale) as mono.  Its right for the songs to get across.   and it still holds up all these years later I hope the stereo version doesn't ruin that. Smiley
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 11, 2017, 08:25:03 PM »

Does anybody else think that the MiC version of Country Air sounds better than the Sunshine Tomorrow version? The vocals are mixed better in the MiC version, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:57:38 PM by clinikillz » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 11, 2017, 10:36:45 PM »

Sunshine Tomorrow debuted at 145 in the US.  50 Big Ones also made a reappearance at 142.

For a moment there, I misread that as 15 Big Ones… Currently in the process of picking my chin back up in the floor Smiley
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: July 12, 2017, 12:39:31 AM »

Does anybody else think that the MiC version of Country Air sounds better than the Sunshine Tomorrow version? The vocals are mixed better in the MiC version, in my opinion.

I prefer the older stereo mixes of both Country Air and Let the Wind Blow.

Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 12, 2017, 12:54:28 AM »

Wow, been waiting for years and years for a stereo Wild Honey! I just found out today that this collection came out a few weeks ago. I am very very impressed with the new mixes. Very faithful to the originals but yet expanded, and brings out more things in the mix that shouldn't be buried. I've heard various mixes over the years of most of the tracks, only "Arent You Glad", "Id Love Just Once To See You" and "How She Boogalooed It" was 100% new stereo mixes to me, but i love these mixes together in this collection and I am very glad they ditched the unnecessary reverb as well. It should sound dry because that how the original was.

The outtakes are amazing as well. Highlights are the extra clips from sessions that we haven't heard, and like a lot of people have said here "Honey Get Home" is a killer track. It is simple and fairly unfinished but it has that awesome Wild Honey-type groove just like the rest of the songs that made it on the album. I would have preferred this as a closer instead of "Mama Says", which is nice but doesn't quite fit the album to me imo.

I really wish there were more Smiley Smile session stuff. This stuff probably amazed me the most. I love the "Fall Breaks" mix. That song is one of my faves from Smiley and it's great to hear an alternate mix. This one really accentuates the unique minimalist type of production and melding of strange sounds that I love from this era.

"Little Pad" instrumental is gorgeous as hell. My favorite thing on this whole set besides Fall Breaks mix. Wow.. what a amazing beauty this mix is. I love the slide guitar and the organ is so, so good. I never really noticed it even in the 2012 stereo mix. There's also an extra second of Brian going "do it". Kind of an interesting new perspective now. Brian maybe egged on Al (or whoever yelled "DO IT!" like on the original) and started a laughing fit. Anyways it's so incredibly nice to hear just instruments to hear the arrangements of these beautiful songs better.

I love to see Lei'd In Hawaii stuff get a release too. They played rough at times, but they really struck gold a lot of times as well. Even some songs which sound rough instrumentally like Sloop John B have amazing vocals still. And I am so damn glad Brian brought his Baldwin Organ. That thing is absolutely godlike, in all of these recordings that he used it in this period, not just the Hawaii stuff.

I've heard some of this stuff before (most of the alternate takes from Wild Honey I've heard before), but this is really presented well and they add some things at times that is completely new to me. I've heard that version of "Surfer Girl" at the end, but definitely not a capella. Beautiful.

I really hope they keep doing this every 50th anniversary of every forthcoming album. That will be really exciting. All my "Beach Boys" dreams of hearing certain recordings keep coming true Smiley     1967 happens to be my favorite period of the BB's too.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 12, 2017, 07:20:30 AM »

We need the Baldwin on the rock and roll album! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 12, 2017, 03:37:01 PM »

Just because we now can, sticking with the stereo mixes, I did an assembly of the alleged 1st track line-up for Wild Honey.  It makes for a very interesting listen, sometimes very rich. I was pleasantly surprised.  I stuck Can't Wait too long on as a bonus track at the end.

SIDE ONE:
Wild Honey
Here Comes the Night
Let the Wind Blow
I was Made to Love Her
The Letter (alt stereo mix)
Darlin'

SIDE TWO:
A Thing or Two
Aren't You Glad
Cool Cool Water
Game of Love
Lonely Days
Honey Get Home
Can't Wait Too Long
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 12, 2017, 03:50:06 PM »

MIKE LOVE ARENīt YOU GLAD vs BRIAN WILSON ARENīT YOU GLAD

THe WINNER IS MIKE LOVE
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 17, 2017, 08:13:47 PM »

So... How do we convince the powers that be to release the entire Heider "live" sessions a cappella?

Watch out for snakes!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 18, 2017, 03:12:09 AM »

THe WINNER IS MIKE LOVE

Is there a version where Brian sings the whole thing?

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: July 18, 2017, 06:22:31 AM »

THe WINNER IS MIKE LOVE

I'm presuming the silly "Mike vs. Brian" reference is to their recent live versions from their respective bands? If so, then neither of them are singing the entire song. Brian and Mike are both singing the "Mike part" in concert, with other band members doing the higher "Brian parts."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 18, 2017, 10:25:23 PM »

THe WINNER IS MIKE LOVE

I'm presuming the silly "Mike vs. Brian" reference is to their recent live versions from their respective bands? If so, then neither of them are singing the entire song. Brian and Mike are both singing the "Mike part" in concert, with other band members doing the higher "Brian parts."

Riiight...

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 20, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »

Hey guys. Still haven't seen a Youtube upload of the entire Wild Honey album with the new, sterling stereo mixes, so I decided to do exactly that, and also throw in some of the phenomenal bonus material found on Sunshine Tomorrow. Just a lot of great music that I think should exist in one single convenient place. Hope ya dig it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTs2IiMf6QI&t=1144s

Also made some edits of some of the recent Wild Honey material and put it in a playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAbJg18VXG5mKRkfZRJIbQ5yfnDL3NRTW
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 22, 2017, 07:15:14 PM »

I always think I'm growing out of my Beach Boys phase, or that I don't have the time to learn more about them. However, flipping through my last.fm scrobbles, I realized that the Beach Boys are still the most-played artist over the course of a few months. And with this Sunshine Tomorrow reissue, I'm finding myself playing these songs over and over again. On top of that, I'm still discovering unreleased Beach Boys gems. I do find myself too busy to post on here as often as I did when I first became obsessed with them, but it's cool that the magic still hasn't completely gone away.

I also have a new appreciation for "Let the Wind Blow." I think it has something to do with it being the "title track" of sorts, the way they sing the "let the bees make honey" bit, the steady piano...

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 23, 2017, 11:18:12 PM »

During the instrumental version of "Wonderful", when it gets to the freak-out/party section (from 1:13 to 1:50), has anyone else noticed that part of "Heroes and Villains" fits perfectly over it?

https://youtu.be/biUIN_x8jT4?t=1m11s
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx