gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:41:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow) 2CD Set?  (Read 179025 times)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: July 04, 2017, 10:08:27 AM »

Why did this jackass bother? This is pure Internet "lack of content" content.

Robert Ham, vying to be the millennial's answer to Robert Christgau, but too busy recycling old myths and getting basic facts wrong as he attempts to perfect the age-old "hand-wringing" style of criticism that leans heavily on the dubious perspective of Yawn Wenner some fifty years ago.

BTW, Bob Christgau's Consumer Guide grade for WILD HONEY: A+.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: July 04, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »

Clickbait, I imagine

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 04, 2017, 10:27:08 AM »

I agree with you, Don, that Paste Magazine review relies too much on recycled mythology. The reviewer also made factual errors, moving Brian's Bellagio, Bel Air studio to Malibu, for one example.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:27:36 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: July 04, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »

Why did this jackass bother? This is pure Internet "lack of content" content.

Robert Ham, vying to be the millennial's answer to Robert Christgau, but too busy recycling old myths and getting basic facts wrong as he attempts to perfect the age-old "hand-wringing" style of criticism that leans heavily on the dubious perspective of Yawn Wenner some fifty years ago.

BTW, Bob Christgau's Consumer Guide grade for WILD HONEY: A+.

Also worth noting is the sometimes cranky Robert Christgau gave the *2004* "Smile" album a RAVE review! I could have easily seen him panning that one, but he gave it a five star (or A+) review!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 04, 2017, 11:36:10 AM »

I am absolutely in love! I had to do a LOT of searching today to find it as I was, ironically enough, at the beach all week! My local record store didn't get it (very strange for them) so I tried Best Buy...nothing. Target...nothing. Finally, Barnes and Noble had ONE copy. Success!
I had the same experience in Plattsburgh, NY. Best Buy, nope. Target, nope. Walmart- hidden in the B section. Not even in the new music section.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 04, 2017, 11:42:50 AM »

I want to hold this little gem when it arrives today or tomorrow.
Delayed for a week! Thud

Still, there are so many great, often ecstatic posts on the subject (most notably those by Matt B) to read while I'm waiting.

Christmas is going to be such an anti-climax this year!
Delayed for a week in Canada, so got it in the U.S.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 04, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »

I'd like to know, am I hearing elements of what would become Do It Again in A Thing or Two during the instrumental portion, or is it another song from before Wild Honey? It just sounds familiar.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 04, 2017, 12:14:29 PM »

Steve Marinucci wrote that. I've criticized him privately over the years for consistently presenting bullshit as news.
A harmless enough Beatles guy -- but never anything with real meat or merit -- always leaning towards the fluff and click-bait.

I posted on the page: "Amateur writing/analysis. You can do better."

He must've accidentally removed it.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 04, 2017, 03:08:58 PM »

Steve Marinucci wrote that. I've criticized him privately over the years for consistently presenting bullshit as news.
A harmless enough Beatles guy -- but never anything with real meat or merit -- always leaning towards the fluff and click-bait.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 04, 2017, 03:10:31 PM »

Howie - you so often are my internet hero.  What a great line.  No doubt, it was an accident on Steve Marinucci's part.  Roll Eyes  Nice work on the liner notes.  I can't believe I didn't mention that before.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 04, 2017, 04:06:01 PM »

Thanks Debbie.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 04, 2017, 04:18:29 PM »

Thanks Debbie.

Howie - it is wonderful to see you getting your due and the recognition of your talents in an official capacity via this project. You have long been a source of superb music journalism and Beach Boys insights. You are the real deal! Congratulations! Hopefully you will be similarly engaged on the 1968 project. That's going to be something amazing too!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:49:03 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: July 04, 2017, 04:56:22 PM »

Thanks Debbie.

Howie - it is wonderful to see you getting you due and the recognition of your talents in an official capacity via this project. You have long been a source of superb music journalism and Beach Boys insights. You are the real deal! Congratulations! Hopefully you will be similarly engaged on the 1968 project. That's going to be something amazing too!

Spot on!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 04, 2017, 09:07:31 PM »

GREAT new promo video for “Darlin’” up on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhB2uETzP0

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 04, 2017, 09:34:43 PM »

I've been waiting for a stereo version of this album for years. I'm so glad they finally did it. Song-wise I've always thought Wild Honey was great, but the muddy sound quality of previous mixes always lessened my enjoyment of it. Now it sounds less lo-fi and more BW-esque.

Thank you, Capitol!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:08:48 AM by clinikillz » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: July 04, 2017, 11:41:22 PM »

If the album had sounded like this in 1967 things might have been different.  Brian was still at the top of his game,  just in a different way.

I do wish we had gotten a full smiley smile too though.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 04, 2017, 11:54:38 PM »

I'm partially unemployed - working 2 part time jobs, no unemployment left - so my music budget is beyond limited. But I am going to buy this set.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 05, 2017, 02:45:05 AM »

I'd like to know, am I hearing elements of what would become Do It Again in A Thing or Two during the instrumental portion, or is it another song from before Wild Honey? It just sounds familiar.

Odd that no one has answered this yet. It's definitely there in "ATOT"----at the end if I remember correctly.

Did that riff come from an earlier BB song? None that I know of. It sounds much like the kind of thing Motown used on occasion, as in The Four Tops' "Something About You":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuAaCgojI90

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 05, 2017, 05:12:53 AM »

Does anybody else think "Untitled (Redwood)" might have been an early take for Time to Get Alone?  Given that the song was intended for Redeood, it makes sense.  I hummed the verse melody over it and it certainly fits.

Hey, I've always thought that. In fact I am surprised by it being titled Untitled (Redwood) on the new release.
Here's a demonstration of how it fits that I just whipped up... https://youtu.be/KAqmMjUoodU

3D

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: July 05, 2017, 06:49:00 AM »

Back in the 90s, Marinucci had a good Beatles website, one of the only places to get Beatles news outside of Beatlefan Magazine. I contributed some Beatles writings to his site way back in the 1996-1999 timeframe when there was scant "internet" writing about the band outside of Usenet, and back when it wasn't as easy for any random fan to have their own website or blog, etc.

But at some point many years ago, he shifted over to click-bait "examiner" website sort of stuff. Even back in the 90s, what he was good at was making the repository of Beatles info rather than his actual writing. I also never got the sense he was that big on the BBs, so he would be the last guy I'd go to for a review of a BB product. Still, a bummer he put so little effort into his "review."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 05, 2017, 07:44:33 AM »

Does anybody else think "Untitled (Redwood)" might have been an early take for Time to Get Alone?  Given that the song was intended for Redeood, it makes sense.  I hummed the verse melody over it and it certainly fits.

Hey, I've always thought that. In fact I am surprised by it being titled Untitled (Redwood) on the new release.
Here's a demonstration of how it fits that I just whipped up... https://youtu.be/KAqmMjUoodU

3D

NIce one. I saw someone write that on the other board but couldn't quite imagine it in my head, but you nailed it!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 05, 2017, 08:58:49 AM »

I just found this video of Mike singing "Aren't You Glad" at a Beach Boys concert last month and he sounds great!  Definitely takes the bad taste out of my mouth from that "Do It Again" single.

https://youtu.be/dl5x4fA-0Q0

GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 05, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »

Brian and Al just played Aren't You Glad live in Utrecht at TivoliVredenburg!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 05, 2017, 12:14:27 PM »

Great to hear, you got any video?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: July 05, 2017, 12:45:59 PM »

It looks like someone is updating the setlist as the show continues here:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2017/tivolivredenburg-grote-zaal-utrecht-netherlands-63e42a9f.html

Looks kind of garbled in terms of order, unless all of a sudden they've shifted Blondie's songs to the middle of the first set.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:50:03 PM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx