gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:51:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow) 2CD Set?  (Read 179047 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: July 01, 2017, 07:04:04 PM »

I'm listening to the Hawaii material from the set right now, again...lol.

It's great that fans and general public can hear their live take on Gettin Hungry. To me, the song works at least TEN THOUSAND times better live than it does on record. I've been saying that for years,  but with the improved sound on this set that Baldwin and the vocals just jump right out of the speakers. Damn. Maybe it was a better live tune in general, with the dramatic pauses, tempo changes, etc. But the way they do it live, it's exciting as hell, and it works! To have those pauses and changes on a record, a single no less, may have been too much outside the norm. But live, they could milk it a bit, play up those elements even more as part of the stage show, and boom - It got the girls in the audience screaming and cheering their approval.

That Baldwin organ sounds mean as hell on this one, right in your face, what a great sound. The decision to ship it to Hawaii was a good one in retrospect! The interplay between Brian and Mike works wonderfully on stage.

Now a question I've had, and either forgot the answer or never figured it out...what do those girls in the audience scream at Brian in unison after the song? He didn't hear what they said, and I can't make it out either for some reason. Anyone?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:04:57 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 01, 2017, 07:08:34 PM »

Here's what Gettin Hungry should have sounded like live . . . the Blondie/Ricky Beach Boys could have killed with this arrangement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpD__Fgpl_4
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: July 01, 2017, 07:19:00 PM »

Here's what Gettin Hungry should have sounded like live . . . the Blondie/Ricky Beach Boys could have killed with this arrangement!

Absolutely 100% agree - The early 70's lineup would have rocked the song with an arrangement like that like a motherf***er on stage. Hearing the Hawaii take and that one, it's kind of a shame it fell by the wayside as it did considering how rocking and heavy it could sound apart from the studio release.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 01, 2017, 07:43:27 PM »

I am absolutely in love! I had to do a LOT of searching today to find it as I was, ironically enough, at the beach all week! My local record store didn't get it (very strange for them) so I tried Best Buy...nothing. Target...nothing. Finally, Barnes and Noble had ONE copy. Success!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: July 01, 2017, 07:44:37 PM »

Now a question I've had, and either forgot the answer or never figured it out...what do those girls in the audience scream at Brian in unison after the song? He didn't hear what they said, and I can't make it out either for some reason. Anyone?

I think it's "Hey Brian, how's your dog?!?"  He had been photographed a lot with Louie and Banana for teen magazines in '66 so not too strange.

Ultimately it's the screaming, whistling and general distractions that made those recordings unusable...the performances aside.  It's too bad that they didn't just record their rehearsals in the empty dome and just add the concert applause later...which is basically what they ended up attempting later at Wally Heider's studio anyway.  "Lei'd in Hawaii" really might have been the hit LP they needed in '67.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 01, 2017, 08:17:31 PM »

Just finished listening to disc 1 of "Sunshine Tomorrow" and boy was it ever great.  Found myself grinning..  feeling good..
These guys bring me so much joy.
And I hope we continue to get excellent archival releases like this. 
Thanks team!

William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 01, 2017, 09:41:52 PM »

I'm actually not the biggest Beatles fan in the world, but I really can think of no time in their concurrent histories as live acts, that the Beatles were not head and shoulders above the BBs.  The Beatles were old pros by the time they made it, the Boys just the opposite.... The Beatles' Shea Stadium concert being a prime example, they rocked hard, played well and sounded very close to their records.   The BBs, bless 'em, never did sound that good in the sixties and when they finally did get their concert mojo going in the seventies it took a cast of thousands to do so.  Ok, not thousands but many sidemen and the officializing of a couple of them into temporary group member status.  I enjoyed this "big band" approach that they took.  But the original quintet never was that hot of a live band.  And I don't think without prime Brian vocally that they were even that hot as a vocal group in concert.  The Rolling Stone assessment of In Concert seems succinct and apt:  "Sloppy good".

I agree with you on the whole, but I think you'll find the Shea Stadium recording with which were all familiar was almost as heavily "enhanced" after the event as Lei'd in Hawaii would have been.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:43:25 PM by William Bowe » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: July 01, 2017, 09:52:31 PM »

Here comes the night rocks my socks off, and I'm not even wearing any!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: July 02, 2017, 12:59:04 AM »

And this one a little later...  Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzCwQVPCzSc

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: July 02, 2017, 01:02:25 AM »

This is an interesting compilation and I hope they put out more albums like this.  In all honesty I was always indifferent to the Wild Honey album although I really liked several tracks (including the title track and "Darlin'").  The stereo mixes sound great though.  All the extra material is fab too.  I'm glad they added the extended version of "I Was Made To Love Her" and both stereo and mono mixes of "With A Little Help From My Friends".  The live stuff is pretty bare-boned but interesting in that most of the live tracks on here feature Brian.  

I agree with MTG that the Beach Boys as a live unit were never quite as tight as the Beatles were.  Hard to recreate that immersive studio sound in a live setting.  However they only got better through the years as they added more musicians to the fold.  

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: July 03, 2017, 01:15:34 AM »

This stereo version of "Country Air" brings a tear to my eye. I forgot how thrilling it is to listen to the boys' music. The live version of this might be as good, if not better.

I'm also super excited to be a part of the boards for this release. I was around for NPP, but that's not nearly as exciting as this (or TSS before that).

I'm only listening to the stereo Wild Honey for the second time right now, and my first reactions include: how much I am appreciating the instrumentation on this album (those drums on the title track! the bass on "Country Air!"), and how crystal clear the vocals are (although there might be a few moments where it's too clean ).

There's also a series of cool guitar sounds in "Aren't You Glad" that I noticed after listening to this initially with Bubs. Anyone else fascinated by that?

The only thing that would have made this better is if they included a bottle of wild honey with each purchase.  Roll Eyes

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 03, 2017, 03:35:50 AM »

Wow!  How is it that I never knew or for that matter heard the Faces take on Gettin' Hungry - that's some punchy stuff! Where did they release that?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 03, 2017, 03:41:46 AM »

There's also a series of cool guitar sounds in "Aren't You Glad" that I noticed after listening to this initially with Bubs. Anyone else fascinated by that?

Hi, Mari. Yes, I particularly love that little off-key flourish, here at 0:45 and 1:50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAmOI4GFnQ0

It's as if the cuckoo in "Cuckoo Clock" tried to reassemble itself and left out something vital.

A bottle of whiskey with each purchase would be much more acceptable. LOL

Regards to ol' Bubs. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 03, 2017, 03:48:51 AM »

Wow!  How is it that I never knew or for that matter heard the Faces take on Gettin' Hungry - that's some punchy stuff! Where did they release that?

Hi, hkc. Looking at The Faces' wiki page it would seem to have been one of a number of tracks recorded in 1974 for an LP that never materialized...

It's since been included on a 2004 four-CD comp (see the vid).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 03, 2017, 06:46:33 AM »

Just checking in to say the absolute standout of the set for me are the alternate versions of All Day All Night. I'm not sure if these takes have been booted but if so I don't recall ever hearing them. They seem to be shifting the chords slightly (or maybe just changing some notes in the harmony stack) and it sounds gorgeous - I had that moment (that only happens with this band) where I just felt elated listening to such enchanting music - like hearing the Don't Talk piano demo for the first time, or discovering the Smile material. I didn't think there was anything left in the vault that could still do this to me.

I'm a big fan of Wild Honey and prefer it to Smiley Smile as an album but I have to say I probably get more from the Smiley material on this set as I've always preferred the backing tracks to the finished Smiley tracks by and large. It's great having them sequenced like this.

The stereo mix of Wild Honey is a blast though. Will have to get the LP I think.

I really hope they continue do release more sets like this one. What a treat we're in for if they keep going.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 03, 2017, 09:38:55 AM »

Yeah the lewisohn chronicles book discusses a secret session where the Beatles added a lot of overdubs to the audio for the shea stadium film.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 03, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »

Can we agree on the fact that NONE of the alternate versions/alternate mixes are based on 67 mixes and all were created especially for this set?  Not that I'm complaining but at first glance someone might think some of these "early versions" or alternate mixes were actually period mixes rather than the producers of this set putting them together from the multitracks of the released versions or from fragments recorded but never finished or mixed. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: July 03, 2017, 02:20:42 PM »

Can we agree on the fact that NONE of the alternate versions/alternate mixes are based on 67 mixes and all were created especially for this set?  Not that I'm complaining but at first glance someone might think some of these "early versions" or alternate mixes were actually period mixes rather than the producers of this set putting them together from the multitracks of the released versions or from fragments recorded but never finished or mixed. 

I don't think much of anybody should be too confused. The only type of fans who would care enough to differentiate between a vintage '67 mix and a modern-day mix would already understand the nature of this set and that inherent in how it is presented, most of the tracks would have to be newly mixed (in some cases mixed *for the first time*).

The compilation is labeled as being mixed by Mark Linett, and then an exception is noted in the liner notes; that the "original mono mixes" founded within Tracks 11-24 are from an assembled master reel.

If anything, the compilation actually errs on the side of labeling things as a new mix, even though, as I recall some of those '67 shows are pretty much locked into the live board mix; they weren't all captured on multi-tracks.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: July 03, 2017, 02:24:13 PM »

Loving how *DRY* the stereo remixes on WH are. A definite shift in recording method/style/motivation has resulted in a different remixing style, and I love it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #519 on: July 03, 2017, 04:58:03 PM »

Online review

https://www.axs.com/review-the-beach-boys-1967-sunshine-tomorrow-is-as-confusing-as-the-or-120511

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 03, 2017, 07:22:19 PM »

Paste Magazine review:
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/06/the-beach-boys-1967-sunshine-tomorrow-review.html
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 03, 2017, 09:11:24 PM »

So I've basically listened to this for 4 days straight...  Grin

I sing along with the album like crazy now. I tried remembering the lyrics to songs today at work, and I could never remember "A Thing or Two", but "I'd Love Just Once to See You" rolls off the tongue.  Tongue

"Wild Honey" is different from 2012 mix, obviously. I used to love the 2012 mix. Now I can't stand it.
"Aren't You Glad" is where everything starts coming out. "Tell me, tell me..." backing vocals are too buried in the mix, but it doesn't bother me. Actually, it comes through perfectly on the desktop speakers I have at work.
"I Was Made to Love Her" is a pleasure to listen to now. I love the bass line following the "yes I was made to love her" (like the sitar in "Within You Without You").
I absolutely love the rolling piano sound of "Country Air"! The way it goes up and down is pure Brian!
"A Thing or Two" sounds so much fuller overall. There's a lot that comes out compared to the mono version.
"Darlin'" sounds so much lighter than the 2012 mix. It's a lot easier to listen to.
"I'd Love Just Once to See You" is a fun song. 100% Brian. Again, a lot more is brought out in this mix. (It always gets a laugh out of me when I start singing it.)
"Here Comes the Night" absolutely rocks! Another song with a fuller sound.
"Let The Wind Blow" is different from the 2001 mix, which isn't a bad thing. I like them both.
The first part of "How She Boogalooed it" rocks! The second part still rocks, but that much less. I wish they included a full stereo mix as a bonus track (a la "This Will Be Our Year" from the Zombies).
"Mama Says" is a short, fun song.
------
I love this version of "Cool, Cool Water". It's different from SMiLE and Sunflower, obviously. I like the echo/reverb (?) in the beginning.
"Can't Wait Too Long" is a revelation. Completely different from any other versions. It fits with the WH vibe.
"I Was Made to Love Her" (Vocal Inserts) are something else. It gives a look into another Brian session. Long version is the one from Rarities.
"Hide Go Seek" and "Honey Get Home" are nice songs. They could've became something else, but sound perfect the way they are.

The individual sessions for the Wild Honey songs are amazing. I love the backing track for "Aren't You Glad" with the horns. I didn't notice them fully in the sing until I heard the backing track.
The live tracks are kind of sparse, but gives us options for end-of-year extension sets. I love the 1970's BB sound, so "Aren't You Glad" is one of my favorites.
------
I love that there is a full backing track for "Heroes and Villains" now, instead of the snippet of just the beginning from the GV box set.
The alternate "Wind Chimes" tag is just beautiful. Almost like a lullaby.
"Little Pad" backing track is awesome.
"All Day All Night" is awesome as well.
------
I can see the "Lei'd in Hawaii" "live" album being released as a RSD Black Friday exclusive. I know I'd buy it.
Yes, "With a Little Help from My Friends" does sound out of place, but I think that with the fake crowd that wasn't put in, it would've worked.
I didn't expect "Game of Love" to sound like this. It's certainly a highlight of this set.
True live Hawaii songs are better quality than the endless boots. I can see why it didn't work as a live album. "Gettin' Hungry" is awesome in a live setting.
"Heroes and Villains" rehearsal proves that the Wild Honey method works with over-produced songs, like "Heroes".
------
The extended version of 1967 Surf's Up is beautiful, hearing Brian sing the different parts before deciding on singing the whole song.
1967 "Surfer Girl" a capella is absolutely beautiful. It almost brings a tear to your eye.

I can't wait for the next archive release!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: July 03, 2017, 11:41:48 PM »

We gotta merge all these Sunshine Tomorrow threads!

So anyway. ..I've been insistent that it is Carl singing the chorus if Aren't you glad.  Well...maybe not so much.  My daughter and I were listening to some tracks on a certain media site while I wait for payday to get here, and unprinted she mentions how Brian ALMOST sounds like Carl. I asked her how she knew it was Brian. She pointed out that on Here Comes the Night, Brian's vocal on "Tell me I'm doin all right" has the exact same phrasing  (being 9 going on 10, she didn't use that word) as he did on the part in question , especially on the word "glad" . Same "bounce " of the word.

Hmmm...

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: July 04, 2017, 09:06:25 AM »

I hold it in my hand. Haven't listened yet but I'm very happy to finally have a Wild Honey deluxe release.

Will this be the best selling Beach Boys archive release (outside of boxsets)?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #524 on: July 04, 2017, 10:03:14 AM »

Well looks like my paycheck is gonna be smaller than I thought...gotta wait two more weeks

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx