gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:24:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow) 2CD Set?  (Read 179464 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 27, 2017, 08:44:31 AM »

Is it true Mike wrote the lyrics to 'Mama Says'?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 27, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »

Was it one of the songs Mike got credit for in the songwriting lawsuit?  If not, I would say no.  Sounds like all Brian to me.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 27, 2017, 10:11:16 AM »

Did you ask him about the "redwood" incident?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 27, 2017, 10:19:40 AM »

Was it one of the songs Mike got credit for in the songwriting lawsuit?  If not, I would say no.  Sounds like all Brian to me.

Mike was co-credited on every song for Wild Honey (except the cover and Boogaloo) from time of release. Yet Mama Says is a carry over from Smile which, besides GV, Mike had zip to do with. So I think there's definite room to question just how accurate the credits are for these songs.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 27, 2017, 10:27:08 AM »

Mama says is right from SMiLE and the extent of  Mike's input from that project were vocal sessions. Wild Honey seems like BW credited Mike on everything in an attempt to smooth over the drama from SMiLE.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 27, 2017, 11:20:58 AM »

I think it is great that Brian has acknowledged Mike's inspiration of his music! Smiley
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 27, 2017, 12:01:04 PM »

I asked Mike, point blank -- no pulled punches -- whether a deal was struck regarding the Wild Honey album publishing, which would list as a co-writer as a consolation for being "shut out" of the the past two LP's. He said that that was absolutely not the case and that he would have never made such a request of Brian.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 27, 2017, 12:37:58 PM »

Methinks Mike may not be remembering correctly.  Do a Lot first appeared Jan 3 in a piano/drums/vocal version as on TSS, right?  Probably as a possible Heroes section as it seems all the work on that day was on Heroes.  Unlikely Mike was contributing to Heroes lyrically at this point in the Smile saga.
quad73
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 27, 2017, 01:09:52 PM »

Frankly, any BB fan that digs 1967 BB music should pick up the Pepper set, *and* any Beatles fan that digs 1967 Beatles music should pick up "Sunshine Tomorrow."

Amen to that
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2017, 01:29:06 PM »

I asked Mike, point blank -- no pulled punches -- whether a deal was struck regarding the Wild Honey album publishing, which would list as a co-writer as a consolation for being "shut out" of the the past two LP's. He said that that was absolutely not the case and that he would have never made such a request of Brian.

I have no doubt Mike wants people to believe that and either he has completely forgotten the lyrical history behind Mama Says or actually thinks he helped co-write one of the wackiest parts of the SMiLE song Heroes and Villains (soon to be morphed into Vegetables) which is ridiculous beyond belief.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 27, 2017, 02:27:16 PM »

Frankly, any BB fan that digs 1967 BB music should pick up the Pepper set, *and* any Beatles fan that digs 1967 Beatles music should pick up "Sunshine Tomorrow."

Amen to that

I bought the Sgt. Pepper 2 cd set last night and am blown the hell away by the sound. If Sunshine Tomorrow is anything close to that (and I think it will be) I think every fan here will be thrilled.

Thanks to EVERYONE who has made this set a possibility. I cannot wait to hear it.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »

I have no doubt Mike wants people to believe that and either he has completely forgotten the lyrical history behind Mama Says or actually thinks he helped co-write one of the wackiest parts of the SMiLE song Heroes and Villains (soon to be morphed into Vegetables) which is ridiculous beyond belief.

From I Am Brian Wilson
Now on Wild Honey [Mike Love]'s credited on every song, even "Mama Says," even though that part comes from what Van Dyke [Parks] wrote for "Vega-tables" on SMILE.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »

Mike was co-credited on every song for Wild Honey (except the cover and Boogaloo) from time of release. Yet Mama Says is a carry over from Smile which, besides GV, Mike had zip to do with. So I think there's definite room to question just how accurate the credits are for these songs.

Pretty sure Mike's credited on "Boogalooed It", too.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2017, 04:15:15 PM »

Pretty sure Mike's credited on "Boogalooed It", too.

Whoops, you're definitely right.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 27, 2017, 07:22:16 PM »

I think that it would be great if the four surviving members of the group that recorded WH could get together and do a joint interview or two. I think it would be a nice promotion for the set. Maybe Howie could suggest the idea?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 27, 2017, 10:48:24 PM »

Could it be Mike contributed to the vocal arrangement and how they were sang/what parts were sang? I'm just wondering because his songwriting credit on Mama Says has confused me as well. Maybe it goes beyond lyrics?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: May 28, 2017, 02:46:07 AM »

Could it be Mike contributed to the vocal arrangement and how they were sang/what parts were sang? I'm just wondering because his songwriting credit on Mama Says has confused me as well. Maybe it goes beyond lyrics?

Maybe he came up with "Poof!". That one wasn't on earlier versions I believe

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2017, 02:57:24 AM »

lol! !

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2017, 03:10:46 AM »

Maybe he came up with "Poof!". That one wasn't on earlier versions I believe

Great psycholinguistic contribution, sir -

there should be a symposium on this.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 28, 2017, 03:24:17 AM »

This could be the precedent Mike later used at the songwriting trial in 1994..... Grin

Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2017, 03:24:36 AM »

haha it would not surprise me if that's all he came up with. Wasn't it on Help Me Rhonda. The only thing he contributed  to that was the Bow Bow Bow bit
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: May 28, 2017, 06:04:05 AM »

This could be the precedent Mike later used at the songwriting trial in 1994..... Grin

LOL

And maybe it was his idea for it to be a capella
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:42:39 AM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2017, 06:36:16 AM »

Maybe it was his mama. Smokin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »

haha it would not surprise me if that's all he came up with. Wasn't it on Help Me Rhonda. The only thing he contributed  to that was the Bow Bow Bow bit

Mike has also said he wrote the first line of "Help Me Rhonda".
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2017, 10:26:40 AM »

Looking forward to the "Mama Says" box set in February.  Grin

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx