gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:21:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Intermission  (Read 4489 times)
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2017, 01:56:36 AM »

When did the band start having the need for intermissions? And also what does everyone do during the intermission? I would really like to know.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 02:17:17 AM »

what does everyone do during the intermission? I would really like to know.

At my lone Brian show the sponsor was Jacques Cider with Fruit and they were handing out free glasses of the stuff. Does that answer your question? Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 04:02:51 AM »

I was at the  11/7/71 show at Georgetown University and there was an intermission.  Part 1 ended with Surfin' USA, Part 2 opened with Cool Cool Water.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 06:27:51 AM »

I was at the  11/7/71 show at Georgetown University and there was an intermission.  Part 1 ended with Surfin' USA, Part 2 opened with Cool Cool Water.

I didn't know that they had intermissions then seeing as they were still young. What did you do during the intermis and how long was it?
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »

I think sometimes the venue encourages it to boost "refreshment" sales.
Bhw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 03:59:58 PM »

To me, an intermission means a longer set list, so I welcome them.

Here is what I do...

- go to bathroom
- get another drink
- review the first set with friends
- prepare for the second set
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 01:33:26 AM »

Intermissions give you a fresh opportunity to look around for familiar faces. And generally soak up the atmosphere as folks relax and talk.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 12:35:47 PM »

It gives the band a chance to rest their voices for a few minutes, have something to drink, before they go back out and crank it up.  I think every Beach Boys concert I have been to since the 1970's had an intermission.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 12:39:45 PM »

Did a lot of BB shows in the 80s and 90s have intermissions? I know they worked them into shows in the early-mid 70s when the shows got longer. But in the 80s and 90s, a lot of the recordings (audio and video) and my own recollection suggest they did a lot of their "standard" meat and potatoes shows without any intermission.

They'd usually have the requisite quick break before the encore (basically to allow for the encore). But I don't think their standard 90-minutes-ish set in the later 80s and 90s tended to regularly have an intermission.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 01:33:46 PM »

This isn't really an "intermission", but when John Bonham would do a drum solo during a Led Zeppelin set, the other members would often get a blow job or two backstage.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 01:45:06 PM »

This isn't really an "intermission", but when John Bonham would do a drum solo during a Led Zeppelin set, the other members would often get a blow job or two backstage.  Grin

LOL

gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 04:04:28 AM »

To answer the question about the 11/7/71 show intermission, it was probably a Jack Reilly thing.  He came out at the beginning of the show and admonished the crowd not to yell for particular songs until the end, as the set list was already determined.  Bruce Johnston told the crowd to go out into the lobby at intermission to register to vote (the voting age had been recently lowered to 18).  I don't recall a big rush to the registration booth.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 02:58:39 AM »

Haha heard sammy hagar on stern one time saying hed do the same thing while eddie did a solo
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 05:43:22 AM »

first & lasttime I ever will ever risk a google search for  "Led Zeppelin John Bonham blow job"

...but here's your source
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 05:44:16 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 05:20:45 PM »

first & lasttime I ever will ever risk a google search for  "Led Zeppelin John Bonham blow job"

...but here's your source
My source was a book written by one of their roadies, I believe.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »

At my lone Brian show the sponsor was Jacques Cider with Fruit and they were handing out free glasses of the stuff. Does that answer your question? Grin

Never heard of Jacques Cider.  Dickens Cider is VERY popular.  I know Jacques Merde.  Air Quotes   Do you? 

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 12:21:36 PM »

LOL LOL

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 12:38:07 PM »

Never heard of Jacques Cider.  Dickens Cider is VERY popular.  I know Jacques Merde.  Air Quotes   Do you? 

Jacques Merde? The inventor of Fruit de Merde? Never heard of him.

This may enlighten you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBUTvCL8DXg

Or this, regarding the BW concert in question (in the grounds of London's Kenwood House):

--- Quote ---Did everyone in the world know about these picnics except me? They're going on about ten minutes from my house, and the first I knew about it was seeing the name Brian Wilson on a signpost as I went past in a taxi, to which my brain somehow went 'well it can't be THAT Brian wilson, why would he be at a food-processor sponsored picnic'.
--- End quote ---

Our picnic was sponsored by Jacques cider, which tastes of soap, so it wasn't THAT distinguished - but I’m afraid it really was THAT Brian Wilson, though, because a woman came round offering massages and said she’d done him the week before. LOL

I only found out about this picnic because of an email from Rufus Wainwright’s website. I’ve never seen him live before and luckily there were a few tickets left. It was a great night, his voice was perfect, and although it threatened to rain the whole evening, it didn’t.

Source: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=18635.110;wap2

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx