gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:12:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson Rickenbacker Poster  (Read 4355 times)
rock72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2017, 08:28:21 AM »

Anyone have or know where I can get the "Carl Wilson Rickenbacker Poster". I know it's history.....I am willing to pay $200. Let me know.

Dave
davedipetro@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:28:49 AM by rock72 » Logged
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 08:56:24 AM »

Send me a message! I got the Carl Wilson stuff!
astroray@msn.com

Cook pork throughly
Tacos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »

How about the actual Carl Wilson signature model Rickenbacker guitar? I could use a couple of those if you have extras to spare. Thanks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 11:41:37 AM »

I remember some discussions eons ago about this poster, and was it ever determined if the poster photo is actually doctored/photoshopped to put the Rickenbacker in Carl's hands in that late 80s-ish concert shot?

I'm not saying he never used it in concert, but he pretty rarely used it. He was usually using his natural-finish ES-335 or the 12-string Gibson/Epiphone hybrid more than anything else through most of the 80s and 90s. (Yes, he did pop up with other guitars now and then, including the "Old Yeller" strat in the early 80s).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »

I took that photo of Carl at Valdosta State U. (Georgia) in 1987, which means the CW model Rickenbacker didn't exist at the time. Carl was sadly not available to pose with his signature Rick model by the time it came out, so they had to use a workaround. Rickenbacker photoshopped their guitar into the image in place of the blonde Gibson ES335 Carl was playing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 01:46:23 PM »

I took that photo of Carl at Valdosta State U. (Georgia) in 1987, which means the CW model Rickenbacker didn't exist at the time. Carl was sadly not available to pose with his signature Rick model by the time it came out, so they had to use a workaround. Rickenbacker photoshopped their guitar into the image in place of the blonde Gibson ES335 Carl was playing.

It's a great pic!

I remember that the guitar came out after Carl's passing. But I was just speaking to the question of how often Carl even used Rickenbackers on stage past the mid 60s, and how they probably couldn't find many if any shots of him using a Rickenbacker, especially later era shots.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Bob K
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 09:30:36 AM »

I've had that poster hanging in my garage for years.  It's a really bad photoshop job - especially his hand that's on the guitar neck.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 09:51:15 AM »

Any chance you could share the original photo. Very cool that you are the photographer!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 10:09:33 AM »

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I'm unwilling to share it for copyright reasons.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:11:34 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 10:13:53 AM »

So does Rickenbacker own the rights to the original photo now?

It's 2017 folks and neither the subjects of these photos nor anyone who would be interested in seeing them are getting any younger.

Geez, it's not like even the negative and the publishing rights to a single photo of Carl in concert from the 80s would be particularly valuable.

Instagram and Facebook and the like are regularly popping up with some of the coolest, rarest photos of folks like the BBs (and even more reclusive folks like Lennon). It's one of the few things services like Instagram and Facebook are good for. They're horrible for one's self-esteem, but great for stuff like weird, rare photos.

Nevertheless, awesome photo and probably the only guy in the 80s touring band that in retrospect isn't a fashion nightmare.  LOL
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:15:50 AM by HeyJude » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 10:30:52 AM »

Agree, was going to say Emdeeh took this picture - what, would she punish herself for violation? This is really funny, what's the big deal about sharing single picture?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 11:13:21 AM »

Yes, I still own the copyright to the photo and I'm unwilling to share my copyrighted intellectual property. Not trying to be grinch here, it's just that I've had photos pilfered before.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:15:08 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 11:34:35 AM »

Why not be very generous & share it with fellow BBs fans? What if smb. uses it? It isn't end of the world, you musta scanned & framed it by now. What's the problem?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 11:53:09 AM »

It's not that simple. I'd have to find the physical photo album in storage (not any easy task), scan the photo, and watermark a huge copyright notice on top of it.

The core of the image is already there on the poster. The only thing that's different is the guitar and the blurred background (to remove the names of "competing products"). The composition is the same.

I'm pleased that you all like the image. It's just that I've had other of my photos taken off the web and had my copyright notices removed from them and used without permission. I've worked with copyright on a professional basis for all of my career as a graphic designer, so that drives my response.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:55:17 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 01:38:46 PM »

It's not that simple. I'd have to find the physical photo album in storage (not any easy task), scan the photo, and watermark a huge copyright notice on top of it.

The core of the image is already there on the poster. The only thing that's different is the guitar and the blurred background (to remove the names of "competing products"). The composition is the same.

I'm pleased that you all like the image. It's just that I've had other of my photos taken off the web and had my copyright notices removed from them and used without permission. I've worked with copyright on a professional basis for all of my career as a graphic designer, so that drives my response.

No worries, I completely understand. If you ever happen upon it, I would love to see it even with a watermark/copyright.

BTW, this is still one of my favorite BBs items:

The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »

No worries, I completely understand. If you ever happen upon it, I would love to see it even with a watermark/copyright.

Man, the artist really did a great job.  The only band member that doesn't look almost exactly like himself is Dennis (IMO).
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 11:32:48 AM »

I really want one of those!  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 12:45:50 PM »

Man, the artist really did a great job.  The only band member that doesn't look almost exactly like himself is Dennis (IMO).

That artist would be Emdeeh. Copyright on the side has her full name (initials MDH) with a copyright of 1984. They pop up on eBay ocassionally, but you better be quick!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 01:13:44 PM »

That artist would be Emdeeh. Copyright on the side has her full name (initials MDH) with a copyright of 1984. They pop up on eBay ocassionally, but you better be quick!
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to spend a few days trolling e-bay. By the way, is it just me or would an illustrated image of the 2012 lineup of the "core" members of the group have made for an awesome pin?  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx