-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:06:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  MLB 2017
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: MLB 2017  (Read 49113 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2017, 09:17:04 AM »

The beer cup incident was ugly, but Boston  fans calling Adam Jones racial slurs was way worse in my opinion.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2017, 09:21:50 AM »

The beer cup incident was ugly, but Boston  fans calling Adam Jones racial slurs was way worse in my opinion.

There's no room for fans yelling racial slurs, I'll agree with that.  But a beer fan flying out of the stands can seriously injure or kill somebody. 

Jones also had somebody throw a banana feel at him in San Francisco a few years back.  It's particularly shameful as you'd be hard pressed to find a better role model for young African Americans in pro sports than Adam Jones. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2017, 09:30:39 AM »

Agreed, I forgot it was an actual can....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2017, 09:33:07 AM »

My cousin used to yell ugly things at Jim Edmonds from the Cubs bleachers... Undecided

KDS
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »

My cousin used to yell ugly things at Jim Edmonds from the Cubs bleachers... Undecided

I was in the bleachers at Oriole Park at a game against Houston two years ago, and there was a fan yelling at Astros RF Russ Springer, but they were comical absurd insults like:

"You're the one responsible for sub prime mortgages!!!" 

"You didn't call your mother on Mothers' Day!!"
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2017, 09:43:41 AM »

LOL Most Cubs are fine, my cousin is really unhinged.

KDS
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2017, 09:46:29 AM »

LOL Most Cubs are fine, my cousin is really unhinged.

I think every fanbase has their share of unhinged ones.  I joined a fan created Orioles Facebook Group before the 2016 season.  I had to leave it after 10 games when my newsfeed was flooded with nonsense from fans. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2017, 09:50:30 AM »

CSM, wasn't exhibition  stadium a unique setup?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:53:10 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »

I can't remember. You'd probably know more than I. But I remember that it was renowned for being awful.
KDS
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2017, 10:11:18 AM »

I can't remember. You'd probably know more than I. But I remember that it was renowned for being awful.

It's also the site of a major Cal Ripken moment  In September 1987, with the Orioles being pummeled by the Blue Jays, manager Cal Ripken Sr. replaced Jr. at SS with Ron Washington, ending Cal's streak of playing in 8243 straight innings over five years.  That streak might even be more impressive than the 2632 straight games. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2017, 10:22:41 AM »

And the Expos had the "Olympic mistake" stadium. MLB didn't get off to the greatest start in Canada.... You rocking a Bautista Jersey these days?

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »

And the Expos had the "Olympic mistake" stadium. MLB didn't get off to the greatest start in Canada.... You rocking a Bautista Jersey these days?

Unfortunately, I opted for Encarnacion. I still think it was a terrible move letting him go.

I do like Bautista but I would probably opt for Osuna or Stroman these days. If the team has a future, it very much rides on them.
KDS
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2017, 11:09:54 AM »

Unfortunately, I opted for Encarnacion. I still think it was a terrible move letting him go.

I do like Bautista but I would probably opt for Osuna or Stroman these days. If the team has a future, it very much rides on them.

I've heard rumors that Stroman might be on the trading block. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2017, 12:08:52 PM »

I've heard rumors that Stroman might be on the trading block. 

It wouldn't surprise me. Alex Anthopoulos put together such a remarkable team and since 2015, Mark Shapiro and Ross Atkins seem to be determined to destroy it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2017, 07:09:37 PM »

The Jays being on the cusp of the WS was something to behold after years of Boston/NY dominance of the AL east.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2017, 07:31:12 PM »

The Jays being on the cusp of the WS was something to behold after years of Boston/NY dominance of the AL east.

It's such a tough division.
KDS
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2017, 08:19:27 PM »

Im.convinced the Orioles would have won the Series in 2014 had we had Manny Machado and Chris Davis in the playoffs
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2017, 09:25:30 AM »

Football in a month! IMG_3471" border="0

KDS
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2017, 09:29:59 AM »

Football in a month! IMG_3471" border="0

Wow, that's really cool.  The real Colts, not the tainted horseshoes over there in Indy. 

Preseason kicked off last night with the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, OH.

As much as I love football, the start of preseason is a reminder than summer will soon be over. 

The Ravens have been killed with injuries, and we still have four preseason games ahead.  Could be a bumpy ride.

As least the Orioles are playing better.  Though, I doubt the acquisitions of Jeremy Hellickson and Tim Beckham will give us enough to make a run. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2017, 09:34:31 AM »

Well said on the year flying by! I got the jacket during the 50th anniversary of "The Greatest Game Ever played" in 2008, which is the only time good Colts mech is made. Not the Indianapolis football club that impersonates them.

My grandma said she would have given me her vintage colts stuff, had she not burned it in a bonfire after they moved in 1984.  Evil

O's are a really hard team to figure out and constant MASN games make it worse!

KDS
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2017, 09:49:12 AM »

Well said on the year flying by! I got the jacket during the 50th anniversary of "The Greatest Game Ever played" in 2008, which is the only time good Colts mech is made. Not the Indianapolis football club that impersonates them.

My grandma said she would have given me her vintage colts stuff, had she not burned it in a bonfire after they moved in 1984.  Evil

O's are a really hard team to figure out and constant MASN games make it worse!

There are some places in town where you can pick up vintage Baltimore Colts merch.  And when I go to Ravens games, I'll usually see a couple of throwback #19 jerseys.  My father has a big collection of Colts memorabilia.  So really merch though because it wasn't really commonplace to dress in team colors like it is now. 

I don't know if you remember the 1996 Orioles season.  In July, they appeared to be a sinking ship, and GM Pat Gillick wanted to trade David Wells and Bobby Bonilla to sure up for 1997, but Angelos vetoed the trades.  Instead, we acquired Eddie Murray, Todd Zelie, and Pete Incavaglia, and mashed our way to a WC spot to end a 13 year playoff drought.  That made Angelos' head bigger than the entire state of Maryland. 

Angelos apparently vetoed a trade with Houston where we'd have given up Zach Britton.  if the O's make a run, it could have negative long term effects like our 1996 playoff run. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2017, 10:25:05 AM »

Ouch, I forgot about that whole saga in 1996. Angelos really was out of his mind the next couple of years and the team suffered big time.This year feels like the last run for this O's as currently constructed..,

KDS
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2017, 10:42:34 AM »

Ouch, I forgot about that whole saga in 1996. Angelos really was out of his mind the next couple of years and the team suffered big time.This year feels like the last run for this O's as currently constructed..,

I fear the Orioles are heading for another deep valley.  With the 2017 team fading, they had the change to trade away some top tier talent for some top prospects.  But, they chose to keep the team intact to run for the 2nd Wild Card. 

I have little faith that they're going to be able to retain the likes of Manny Machado and Britton.  The Orioles have also proven they're inept when it comes to developing pitching. 

If the Orioles let these key FAs walk, why would the likes of Jonathan Schoop and Trey Mancini want to stay? 

Plus, Buck's probably going to retire at the end of 2018. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »

About to mentally short circuit with Cubs vs Nats tonight.....

KDS
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2017, 06:18:45 AM »

The only parts of the playoffs is what I saw out of the corner of my eye when I was at the Red Robin a week and a half ago. 

I'm glad to see the Red Sox out of it.  Hoping the Yankees don't have another comeback in them. 

A Houston / LA World Series would be a bit of a change of pace, considering the Dodgers have been in a WS in almost 30 years. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: