-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:06:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  MLB 2017
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: MLB 2017  (Read 49122 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 10:51:55 AM »

Yeah that whole lawsuit involving MASN is a mess....

Personally, I don't side with Mr. Angelos often, but I think the Nationals are in the wrong here. 

They signed the agreement when they relocated to DC back in 2005. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2017, 08:49:16 AM »

Confession, living south of D.C. area for my whole life has me as a big nats fan as well. (Though last nights near O's comeback was fun to watch on MASN....)

IMG_3420" border="0
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:51:39 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »

Though I wearing my o's t-shirt today.....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2017, 12:40:06 PM »

Im fairly indifferent to the Nats.  I dont dislike them the way I dislike the Redskins. Ive seen to a couple games at Nats Park.  I think its a little sterile, but not bad.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2017, 12:42:50 PM »

O's blew the lead as I watch TBS....

KDS
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2017, 01:47:52 PM »

O's blew the lead as I watch TBS....

Even during our dark period 1998-2011, I cant recall a team that is worse at protecting leads than the 2017 team.  Although those dark era teams didnt have a ton of leads. 

Im not at all fooled by the Orioles sweep of the reeling Rangers.  Time to sell some pieces, and look to 2018.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2017, 01:53:01 PM »

9-7! Grin

KDS
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2017, 02:05:06 PM »

9-7! Grin

I only hope they dont do anything silly like 2 years ago when we traded Zach Davies for Gerardo Parra. 

Britton with his 55th straight save
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2017, 02:28:57 PM »

IMG_3435" border="0

KDS
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2017, 03:46:25 PM »

Cool shirt.  How far back do you go?  Ever attend any Orioles games at Memorial Stadium?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2017, 03:54:06 PM »

1997 opening day with the guy who played Mr. Mygai from karate kid throwing first pitch....

KDS
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2017, 04:02:33 PM »

1997 opening day with the guy who played Mr. Mygai from karate kid throwing first pitch....

I was at Opening Day in 97.  The Wire to Wire Season.

My first game was 1991.  The last season at Memorial Stadium. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2017, 04:28:10 PM »

Nice, I wish I could have gone to a O's or Colts game at Memorial Stadium in my lifetime! Cool

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »

This discussion needs more Jays content.
KDS
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2017, 06:11:59 PM »

Nice, I wish I could have gone to a O's or Colts game at Memorial Stadium in my lifetime! Cool

The Colts split was I was three.  I think I probably saw about 26 games at Memorial Stadium if you include Orioles, Stallions ( CFL), and Ravens.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2017, 06:52:51 PM »

Go Jays go! Grin. What is your fan history?

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2017, 08:19:34 PM »

Ha - they need all the help they can get right now!

Grew up just outside of Toronto and family were big on baseball so they were a team that, as a kid, I took a mild interest in. I knew about a lot of the key players from that time - Dave Stieb, George Bell, Jesse Barfield, etc. I remember going to a game at the Exhibition Stadium ("the mistake by the lake") with my grandfather in the 80s when I was five or six but I lost interest after four or five innings. My fandom truly escalated in 1991. I was 11 years old and my dad took me to the first game I had been to at what was, then, the new Skydome. You have to remember that, at that time, the Skydome was supposed to be the future of baseball ballparks (thank God that turned out not to be the case) with its state of the art technology. To an 11 year old in 1991, everything about the Skydome was cool. At that pre-Internet stage, I don't think we'd ever get anything quite as amazing as Tim Burton's Batman in surround sound in a home theatre and a baseball stadium with a retractable roof. And what looked like blue astroturf...

At any rate 1991 was a great year to get into baseball in Toronto. The all-star game was at the dome that year and the team made it to the championship series. The team then won the next two world series after that with a roster of players that we may never see the likes of again in the city. Although the last five years or so has been very fun to watch, those 1991-1994 teams really gave me a false sense of what being a baseball fan was really like! It was also the stage when I knew the most about baseball, knowing virtually every player on every team. And it seemed like the Jays could get the best players at some point. In the space of five or six years I saw Roberto Alomar, Joe Carter, Jimmy Key, David Wells, Paul Molitor, Dave Winfield, Ricky Henderson, Dave Stewart, Jose Canseco, David Cone, Roger Clemens, all wearing the Jays uniform. Great times that unfortunately and inevitably wouldn't last. And now, of course, the stadium seems really tacky to me but, naturally, my six year old daughter loves it!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:22:56 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2017, 07:11:53 AM »

I remember the same thing about the skydome as a kid as well! The press and baseball establishment hyped it up as a wonder of the modern world that other teams needed to follow. But man, you had some great baseball teams to watch growing up in Canada.

I had all the Chicago Cubs games (for free) on the WGN superstation and with my family from Chicago, It was a match made in heaven. Then the games stopped being broadcast and I switched to watching MASN with Nats / O's. Though I am still a huge Cubs fan who acted like a maniac when they won the WS last year!

KDS
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2017, 07:49:21 AM »

Grew up just outside of Toronto and family were big on baseball so they were a team that, as a kid, I took a mild interest in. I knew about a lot of the key players from that time - Dave Stieb, George Bell, Jesse Barfield, etc. I remember going to a game at the Exhibition Stadium ("the mistake by the lake") with my grandfather in the 80s when I was five or six but I lost interest after four or five innings. My fandom truly escalated in 1991. I was 11 years old and my dad took me to the first game I had been to at what was, then, the new Skydome. You have to remember that, at that time, the Skydome was supposed to be the future of baseball ballparks (thank God that turned out not to be the case) with its state of the art technology. To an 11 year old in 1991, everything about the Skydome was cool. At that pre-Internet stage, I don't think we'd ever get anything quite as amazing as Tim Burton's Batman in surround sound in a home theatre and a baseball stadium with a retractable roof. And what looked like blue astroturf...

At any rate 1991 was a great year to get into baseball in Toronto. The all-star game was at the dome that year and the team made it to the championship series. The team then won the next two world series after that with a roster of players that we may never see the likes of again in the city. Although the last five years or so has been very fun to watch, those 1991-1994 teams really gave me a false sense of what being a baseball fan was really like! It was also the stage when I knew the most about baseball, knowing virtually every player on every team. And it seemed like the Jays could get the best players at some point. In the space of five or six years I saw Roberto Alomar, Joe Carter, Jimmy Key, David Wells, Paul Molitor, Dave Winfield, Ricky Henderson, Dave Stewart, Jose Canseco, David Cone, Roger Clemens, all wearing the Jays uniform. Great times that unfortunately and inevitably wouldn't last. And now, of course, the stadium seems really tacky to me but, naturally, my six year old daughter loves it!

As an Orioles fan, those 1991-1993 Toronto teams still give me nightmares.  I don't know how many walk off wins Toronto had at Baltimore's expense during that time period, but it seems like that place has been a House of Horrors for the Orioles since it opened (even as recently as the 2016 WC Game). 

I still harbor a bit of resentment towards Cito Gaston for not putting Mike Mussina into the 1993 All Star Game at Camden Yards.  I proudly wore a "Cito Sucks" tee shirt for a few seasons whenever Toronto came to town. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2017, 08:44:19 AM »

As an Orioles fan, those 1991-1993 Toronto teams still give me nightmares.  I don't know how many walk off wins Toronto had at Baltimore's expense during that time period, but it seems like that place has been a House of Horrors for the Orioles since it opened (even as recently as the 2016 WC Game). 

I still harbor a bit of resentment towards Cito Gaston for not putting Mike Mussina into the 1993 All Star Game at Camden Yards.  I proudly wore a "Cito Sucks" tee shirt for a few seasons whenever Toronto came to town. 

I remember I used to jump for joy when I saw Arthur Rhodes coming out of the bullpen. For some reason, it always seemed like we knocked the hell out of him.

I remember Cito causing rancor over Mussina but, man, he was great for us. I think he put in most of the Jays in that all star game.
KDS
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2017, 08:49:40 AM »

I remember I used to jump for joy when I saw Arthur Rhodes coming out of the bullpen. For some reason, it always seemed like we knocked the hell out of him.

I remember Cito causing rancor over Mussina but, man, he was great for us. I think he put in most of the Jays in that all star game.

I know Gregg Olson had some fits in Toronto as well. 

As I recall, seven Toronto Blue Jays were on the AL Roster in 1993.  I think two were voted on by the fans, and the rest were chosen by Gaston.  Oddly enough, I believe Pat Hentgen also didn't get into the game.  But, the Mussina snub was obvious, and there was talk about implementing a rule that all host team players have to be used, but I don't think that ever happened. 

It's hard to believe there was a time when Toronto was more hated in Baltimore than New York or Boston.  Although, for the record, Toronto's fans were never as obnoxious as New York or Boston's. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2017, 08:51:23 AM »

As I recall, seven Toronto Blue Jays were on the AL Roster in 1993.  I think two were voted on by the fans, and the rest were chosen by Gaston.  Oddly enough, I believe Pat Hentgen also didn't get into the game.  But, the Mussina snub was obvious, and there was talk about implementing a rule that all host team players have to be used, but I don't think that ever happened. 

It's hard to believe there was a time when Toronto was more hated in Baltimore than New York or Boston.  Although, for the record, Toronto's fans were never as obnoxious as New York or Boston's. 

Even after the beer cup?
KDS
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »

Even after the beer cup?

OK, you have a point there.  And that actually happened twice.  A can was thrown at Nate McClouth back in either 2012 or 2013. 

But, I've attended many Orioles / Blue Jays games in Baltimore, several during the Toronto glory days in the 1990s, and I don't recall anyone in a blue shirt or cap being anything less than civil. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »

That's good to hear. I should also say that going to Camden Yards around 1998 was a real highlight for me. And I'd say that beyond my own favourite team winning the WS twice, one of the greatest all time moments of baseball that I witnessed was Cal Ripkin breaking Gehrig's record.
KDS
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2017, 09:11:20 AM »

That's good to hear. I should also say that going to Camden Yards around 1998 was a real highlight for me. And I'd say that beyond my own favourite team winning the WS twice, one of the greatest all time moments of baseball that I witnessed was Cal Ripkin breaking Gehrig's record.

I was there both nights when Ripken broke and tied Gehrig's record in 1995.  Those were surely special nights. 

I hope to be able to witness by Orioles win a WS some day, but I feel our window is about to close with the contracts of Zach Britton, Adam Jones, Manny Machado, Dan Duquette, and Buck Showalter ending after 2018. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: