gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:50:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1988 article about Brian and Landy  (Read 1688 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2017, 01:45:22 PM »

I came across this New York Times article from 1988 by Timothy White. Pretty interesting view from right in the middle of the Landy hell.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/06/26/magazine/back-from-the-bottom.html?pagewanted=all
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 10:16:26 PM »

I first met Timothy White at a friend's Christmas Party. I had a chance to chat for about an hour around the time we began the effort to separate Brian and Landy. The article that he wrote back then supported many of the conclusions most of us had sorted out.

Tim died of heart failure at a relatively young age. The time he spent covering Brian's Landy interactions in 1976 and the mid to late Eighties was presented in a manner that was caring but as objective as he could. He avoided the "Poor Brian" approach to writing about him. His coverage was something a judge handling Brian's situation with little familiarity with the case could understand.

Finally, Timothy was a great husband and father. He was a class act his every domain of his life.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 10:26:06 PM »

Timothy also wrote a very eye opening column about Brian's auto-bio in 1991. Another writer, Bill Holdship, took the pro-Landy stance, but his comments were very succinctly shut down by Mr. White.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 01:18:08 AM »

Extraordinary article. Quite hair-raising really...

Thanks for that, Amy, and thanks to Peter Reum and LS for the illuminating remarks about Timothy White.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Klay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 07:19:07 PM »

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 02:31:37 PM by Klay » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx