gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:25:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: randy newman  (Read 6596 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2006, 05:41:23 AM »

i just bought his greatest hits, what's everyone think of him?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 08:12:58 AM »

"Sail Away" is one of Brian´s favourite albums.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 08:24:14 AM »

I like what I've got of his. I saw him on Conan once and Conan was all pumped about Good Old Boys, so I bought it. I also have his first album and Little Criminals on LP (so I never listen to them), and I got Sail Away because of the Holland story about Brian. I like his style and I guess I understand his sense of humour, as far as I know.

Watch out for snakes!
Evenreven
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 08:28:43 AM »

Great songwriter. At his best when you're not certain if he's joking or not. In my opinion, he's also a very underrated singer, I hear lots of bluesy emotion in his voice. In some ways, this rather understated delivery can be a tremendous advantage, like in You Can Leave Your Hat On -  a song which makes me want to vomit when Joe Cocker and Tom Jones do it.

Another Randy Newman album I really like is Nilsson Sings Newman. This joint effort with Harry Nilsson singing is fab stuff, I especially like Cowboy.

For writing on Randy, check out Greil Marcus' fab essay on him in his book "Mystery Train"!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 09:50:42 AM »

One of Randy's nicest songs is Snow on the Harpers Bizarre "Anything Goes" cd. It is arranged by Van Dyke's mentor, Bob Thompson, and sounds brilliant. Of course, Song Cycle has a couple of Randy Newman tunes as well.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 10:32:57 AM »

I always wondered if you couldn't see his first record from 1968 as a companion piece to "Song Cycle" and "Smile". It was coproduced by Van Dyke and it also sounds like it was made up of fragments, plus there is a lot of changes in dynamics with quiet passages followed by very loud ones. In that respect a song like "Love Story" reminds a little of "Cabinessence" or "Wind Chimes", the outro to "So Long Dad" reminds a little of the outro to H&V and so forth, I wonder if it was something Van Dyke brought with him from working on "Smile". Anyway it's probably the best or at least on par with the two other albums.

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »

i will have to give his first album another listen , i was a little underwhelmed by it .maybe it's the sound of the cd ? it seems it needs the remastered treatment .
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 11:56:11 AM »

12 Songs is his finest effort, but the first 5 are all stellar.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 12:54:29 PM »

In some ways, this rather understated delivery can be a tremendous advantage, like in You Can Leave Your Hat On -  a song which makes me want to vomit when Joe Cocker and Tom Jones do it.

Ever heard Joe Cocker do Guilty? Knocks it out of the ballpark, even though Newman's version is far superior.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 01:11:14 PM »

I think they had that when I bought the first album (it was at a record convention) and I forgot to get it. Like, I saw the first album, bought it, but didn't bother remembering that 12 Songs is supposedly better. I should've picked them both up.

Watch out for snakes!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 02:29:50 PM »

the first 5 are all stellar.

Absolutely.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
no
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 02:36:30 PM »

That's right. I'm big on "Trouble In Paradise," too.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 02:38:05 PM »

Hmm, I don't think he's been able to sustain an entire album since Good Old Boys.
There's great stuff on Born Again, Land Of Dreams and the last one.
Paradise and Criminals are my least favorites.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 04:42:09 PM »

"its a story about friendship and music by me,
sbout a bear and a bunny and the bear becomes the bunny's new family,
...somethin like that"
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 09:48:01 PM »

Sail Away is great.  I want to check out Good Old Boys but havent gotten to it yet. 
Evenreven
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 05:03:05 AM »

I think they had that when I bought the first album (it was at a record convention) and I forgot to get it. Like, I saw the first album, bought it, but didn't bother remembering that 12 Songs is supposedly better. I should've picked them both up.
It's a matter of taste. I prefer the first one to 12 Songs, probably because of the wilder arrangements.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 07:30:54 AM »

Love Randy Newman.  And I dare say that there is some good Randy stuff many haven't heard.

Anybody heard the Faust recording?

I also really like his Randy Newman Songbook Vol 1 (presumably more are to follow) recent album where its just Randy and Piano on some of his better known songs.

The ragtime soundtrack music is, in a word, beautiful.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx