gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:07:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Meeting Brian & Al vs Mike & Bruce  (Read 15578 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2017, 10:28:11 AM »

That is hysterical...just casually come across Al Jardine eating an ice cream...because why not?  LOL
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2017, 10:50:09 AM »

I've never heard a story really of Brian being an a-hole or being mean to anyone.

I have it on good authority, he once beat up a clown....

Grin

CD, I think it coincidence, but don't know for sure. Rocky made reference to the Man v Clown site specifically here, and of course it's the material from that site and Stephen's comments that really got the Rocky 'era' going over here. But I tend to think it is a reference to something else.

Do we have any confirmation that this story is the source of the Man Vs. Clown website name? Serious question.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2017, 03:43:10 PM »

I've never heard a story really of Brian being an a-hole or being mean to anyone.

Consider the source but Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) in new memoir "Lonely Boy" (which I'm reading now) claims that Brian was the rudest celebrity guest he ever had on his radio show. Jones says that he's aware of Brian's psychological issues but says it was "no excuse for being an a**hole" but he doesn't really elaborate on exactly what happened.

That's the only example I've ever read about where Brian is specifically called out for being rude. God knows the pairing of Steve Jones and Brian Wilson is a bad idea anyway. 
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2017, 05:53:32 PM »

No one has really mentioned Blondie in this thread.  I'd love to meet him.  He seems like a really cool guy.

A friend of mine had a brief encounter with Blondie after a show last year.  He told Blondie he was a big fan and asked if he could get a picture with him.  I won't repeat Blondie's reply verbatim due to some lewd terminology and I'm not sure what the rules are here in that regard, but he said that Blondie said no because he was trying to, ummm....we'll say, find a lady to spend some "quality" time with.  Obviously, I wasn't there, but I doubt that my friend would make that up.

This is in line with the Blondie I met once. Not surprised.

Sounds about right. The only time I met Blondie was also by mistake hanging around the buses trying to meet Al and Brian (too late for Brian). Blondie had already found his umm..."Wild Honey" for the night as she was hanging on his arm...and not much bigger than his arm. It was also obvious he had been treating himself to some of those funny looking cigarettes as I think I nearly got a contact high off his odor...nonetheless, he was kind enough to sign my ticket stub and chat with the half dozen or so of us that were there, I made a point to tell him how much "Wild Honey" kicks ass in this set and he gargled out something like "Yeah man...it's CRAZY!" and he stared right in to my eyes and widened his like an owl and for a split second I feared for my life....true rock and roll through and through.  LOL

Highly amusing, reminds me of a friend telling me about a chance encounter with Dennis in the late '70s. My friend (a huge fan) said "Hey Dennis, how are you? Watcha been doin'? "BEEN DRUMMIN'!" he bellowed, looking completely wild & crazed. Poor Denny, I hope he was at least having a good time on that particular day.

Also met John Stamos once in the hotel bar after a 2001 Pet Sounds Symphonic Tour stop at San Diego Yacht Harbor. I was morbidly fascinated and approached  him, mentioning that I was a friend of Alan Boyd's (he was working on one of the TV miniseries at the time and they were in contact) upon which he grinned an ingratiating, shark-like grin with dazzling, perfect  teeth and scrutinized me super-closely as if to say "how can this person be of use to me?" for  few seconds of conversation, until he apparently was satisfied that I was unimportant and went elsewhere.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2017, 06:41:16 AM »

Consider the source but Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) in new memoir "Lonely Boy" (which I'm reading now) claims that Brian was the rudest celebrity guest he ever had on his radio show. Jones says that he's aware of Brian's psychological issues but says it was "no excuse for being an a**hole" but he doesn't really elaborate on exactly what happened.

That's the only example I've ever read about where Brian is specifically called out for being rude. God knows the pairing of Steve Jones and Brian Wilson is a bad idea anyway. 

Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips also called Brian out for rudeness after an interview. Coyne came off as a real asshole.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2017, 09:01:44 AM »

Regarding my mentioning earlier in the thread that I've never particularly heard of Bring being an a-hole to anyone, I was referring to random/unknown fans and fan encounters.

The Steve Jones thing, and the Wayne Coyne thing, are both very different. They were "personalities", and they were interviewing Brian, not saying "hi" backstage at a concert. Very, very different dynamic. We all know Brian is different in "interview" settings than just saying hi to a fan backstage.

It's also worth nothing that in these cases where people come away with negative impressions of Brian, it often comes from people who aren't exactly squeaky clean in the personality/attitude department themselves. Remember Bill Champlin talking to Gary Usher about Brian in 1986, as described in the Usher/McParland book? Champlin had some good points about Usher was getting hosed by the deal, but also clearly didn't understand Brian's condition nor the gravity of what Landy was doing. And for those familiar with Champlin, the guy isn't exactly known for being easy going and non-confrontational and free of ego himself. Similarly, Jeff Beck complained about Brian after the 2013 tour, yet Beck himself is infamous for being difficult and eccentric and weird and off-putting, and he himself has bowed out of projects and also had others ditch working with him due to his weird deal.

I've often heard that the more eccentric relatively famous folks who run into Brian, especially other music people, are often thrown totally off kilter because they're not used to *not* being the most eccentric, weird person in the room. I recall someone relating witnessing an encounter between Elvis Costello and Brian that went a bit like that. As I recall, it remained cordial and all of that, and I don't think Elvis has ever said a bad word about Brian. But he was, as that story went, thrown off a bit and not quite able to do his normal Elvis thing, whatever that is.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2017, 04:41:17 AM »

I'd love to read some more Bruce stories. That Jekyll-Hyde thing is oddly fascinating, though I feel sorry for everyone who got to experience his rude side. I agree with whoever wrote they're all human and may have their ups and downs.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2017, 08:38:24 AM »

I'd love to read some more Bruce stories. That Jekyll-Hyde thing is oddly fascinating, though I feel sorry for everyone who got to experience his rude side. I agree with whoever wrote they're all human and may have their ups and downs.

The posts are presumably long gone, but Bruce even did the Jekyll/Hyde thing *online* on the Beach Boys Britain board years ago. He infamously tore into one guy for calling him BJ when the guy clearly was just using shorthand. But I guess Bruce was convinced the guy was actually really trying to call him "Blow Job."

Similarly, he went on an "old man yells at cloud" rant years ago about someone posting some old "Old Grey Whistle Test" UK TV clip on "YouTube."

He also often went hot and cold on Brian and Brian's band on that board.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2017, 08:52:54 AM »

Bruce is an odd duck....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2017, 06:09:35 PM »

***comment removed***
Found the answer to my question from a different source (again...)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:59:15 AM by Mike Garneau » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »

Bruce is an odd duck....

Absolutely. Anyone who can hang out with myKe luHv for as long as he has needs his screws tightened or replaced.  Shocked

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2017, 09:40:23 PM »

I had a nice moment with Brian when I was on the front row of a show in Holland. He kept pointing at me and my then gf dancing and smiling at us or giving a thumbs up. Amazing to see the guy who'd given me so much enjoyment enjoying us enjoying him. Never met him though. Did know Taylor for a while - she was an absolute sweetheart.

I've met Bruce, Mike and David. All nice guys. Bruce very clearly the experienced glad-handler - he's done it a thousand times before and his anecdotes are well worn but he was nice. Mike seemed jetlagged to f*** and was extremely quiet - I don't recall if he said much of anything - but gamely posed for photos and so on. David I didn't really get much chance to speak to, but he's certainly a smiley dude who's abundantly happy to be there when he is.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2017, 09:56:07 PM »

I had a nice moment with Brian when I was on the front row of a show in Holland. He kept pointing at me and my then gf dancing and smiling at us or giving a thumbs up. Amazing to see the guy who'd given me so much enjoyment enjoying us enjoying him.

:D

I love telling this story, but back in 2004 when he did his cigarette lighter routine, when he asked everyone to pull out their lighters, my bandmate/friend and I yelled (in unison) "but we just quit smoking". Without missing a beat, Brian responded "well goddammit, good for you" .  LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2017, 03:30:47 AM »

Lolz Billy! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2017, 10:41:20 AM »

Mike seemed jetlagged to f*** and was extremely quiet - I don't recall if he said much of anything - but gamely posed for photos and so on.

I've always found Mike to be that way. Usually quiet and slow moving, but not rude.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx