gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:30:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Meeting Brian & Al vs Mike & Bruce  (Read 15570 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »

I'm assuming this is in reference to when he bashed Obama while a fan was trying to take a picture and someone filmed him saying we were f-ing doomed with four more years of Obama or something like that.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 08:08:18 PM »

I'm assuming this is in reference to when he bashed Obama while a fan was trying to take a picture and someone filmed him saying we were f-ing doomed with four more years of Obama or something like that.

Here's the one you're talking about: http://www.theblaze.com/news/2012/05/11/youre-fued-famed-beach-boys-singer-says-obamas-an-ahole/

I'm pretty sure the one being referenced on the previous page is a different time, but I can't find the video.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 10:02:24 PM »

There was one where he was a complete dick to someone here at s show I was at

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2017, 05:34:31 AM »

Great post HJ and I'm right there with your preface before going into each member. Any takes on Dennis and Carl as well? I've had encounters with all of them over the years and have basically found them to be, at least on the road, interested and willing to take part in accepting their role toward the fans quite well. And yes, that applies to myKe as well. I don't enjoy nor do I have the time to type long pieces about my encounters with them, but would like to share them someday.
Wow, OSD. I can't believe what I just read... Smiley

I never met any of the Boys, but have met several artists and musicians, and I would classifiy them in just two types: the shy (introverted) and the bold (extroverted). Never met one whom I'd call rude or ungracious.
A textbook example of a shy one is Alan Stivell, the Breton composer/singer/harpist/piper/multi-instrumentalists. He is a genius by any standard and practically invented modern Breton Celtic music. An idol for me. Add to that, he looks like a modern Merlin.
When I met him, was so awed at the great man thet I hardly managed to utter a word. I was not helped by realising that he was even more shy and embarassed than me. As gracious and unassuming as possible, but surely not a talker, and surely he doesn't like to mingle wih fans, but probably fears it. Exactly what I think of Brian.
Mike seems to be the extroverted type, instead, and I have no doubt he can be very pleasant unless you find him really in a hurry, or in a really bad day.
As for me... I may be critical of him here, but if I ever met him I'd be delighted. Because, though I am as Brianista as they come, there's still a Mike fan hidden within me.

P.S.
Is it me or this board is considerably mellowing out to Mike now that we can discuss him without being always accused of "Mike bashing"?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 07:12:40 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2017, 06:15:58 AM »

My reference to Bruce being a d-bag during the 2012 tour actually wasn't the TMZ tape of him bashing Obama (that was more a case of Bruce's *well-known* and sadly predictable politics just kind of spilling out). I obviously don't and didn't agree with Bruce's laughably predictable privileged-rich-white-dude conservative politics, but more importantly the band was lucky that story didn't sully the good press the reunion was getting. As it turns out of course, and as Bruce himself not coincidentally was gleefully willing to remind people even before the tour started, the reunion wasn't going to last long at that point so it didn't particularly matter.

In any event, the 2012 incident I was referring to back a ways was this one:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13320.msg287553.html#msg287553

This took place in the middle of the tour after the 6/8/12 show in Woodlands, TX. No reason to doubt the veracity of this story, and Bruce comes off really poorly. And really, it lines up with other stories I've heard and it even lines up with how I've seen Bruce act *online* in the past, including going off on some poor guy who truly innocently called him "BJ." I recall Bruce also going on a weird diatribe one time when someone posted a YouTube clip of his solo "Old Grey Whistle Test" TV performance, going on and on about how everybody was "stealing" from him by watching the video. This was during the early days of YouTube as I recall.

Hopefully nobody then has explained to Bruce how many clips of him are on YouTube now in 2017.  LOL

Whenever anybody asks me who the craziest guy in the band is, they're surprised when I say it's probably not Brian, but Bruce. Brian's issues are well-documented, understandable, and generally consistent. It's also rarely if ever expressed in a mean, cruel fashion to others. Not the case with Bruce, who may well just have some issues like many people out there do, and has some sort of thing with misinterpreting what people say or has some sort of weird issue with certain seemingly random words or statements triggering his rage. I dunno.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:20:58 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 10:40:49 PM »

Many have heard of my encounter with all five living Beach Boys backstage at the Oregon C50 show. (Hey, why no love for David in this thread?) Certainly a different environment than a meet and greet. Summary:

Brian - no words needed. He was angelic.

Al - very talkative and nice. I asked him if WIBNTLA was going to be on MIC and he said he'd check.

Bruce - was very nice and talkative about England and his sons.

David - very down to earth and nice. Wanted to know how his guitar sounded..

Mike - PG version, a jerk.  PM me if you haven't heard the story and want to.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 09:22:48 AM »

I remember the story, SurfRider. Mike has definitely evolved control issues over the years, and I think all of what went on with the 2012 tour is part and parcel of his inability to adjust to the realities of the overall Beach Boys--that if you put all of the remaining guys on the stage, he is going to be eclipsed--and dramatically so in comparison with the M&B incarnation.

I think that when Mike feels he is in control, and when he's getting the type of feedback from fans that gives him the strokes he needs, he can be charming as all get out. And the M&B environment is clearly tailored to maximize that for him--how could it not? The man needs to exercise his "inner extrovert" (is than an oxymoron?) and touring the country is clearly the way to make it all work. It does tend to reinforce what has become a rather narrow world-view, however.

But put him in a situation where he is not the focal point, where his past reputation and references to his snarky behavior are just one utterance away from breaking into the open, and you've got a trapped puma pacing its cage. Can't be pleasant for him, really.

I think it's great to see Al relaxing into a featured role and getting recognized for his talents--no one now will ever follow the lead of the odious Nick Kent and refer to him as "clean-living, talent-free Al Jardine." What a crock that always was, and I'm sure Al has settled in over the past couple of years thanks to the increased attention paid to his genuine musical contributions to the band. That said, he is still susceptible to going off onto tangents in personal interactions, which are never unpleasant, but sometimes leave fans with a "wtf?" moment.
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »

I haven't met Brian or Al.  I did contact Al was and asked if he would sign an item for me if I sent it to him.  He was very nice during my brief interaction with him and he did sign my item.

I met Mike and Bruce two years ago.  The venue was right across from the local mall.  I saw their tour bus when I came out of the mall (I was waiting around for the concert).  I decided to walk over just to see if I could meet anyone.  This was several hours before the concert.  Jeff came over and talked with me for a bit and took a picture.  He was really cool.  Bruce came out of the venue and was walking over to the mall.  He stopped and talked with me for several minutes and took a pic as well.  When he came back, he stopped and talked some more.  Mike didn't get off the bus until right before the show started.  By that point, I was joined by several other fans.  Mike promised that he would come out after the show and meet with all of us.  He kept that promise.  He spent a considerable amount of time signing autographs, taking pictures, and talking with fans.  He was very nice.  I talked with Scott as well, who was also pretty cool. 

No one has really mentioned Blondie in this thread.  I'd love to meet him.  He seems like a really cool guy.
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 08:21:53 PM »

My unfiltered 1st thought (that's what the Internet's for, right?): someone "stumbling our way back to the hotel" sounds more like a Mike fan than Brian to me. Maybe you were in your element?
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2017, 07:24:24 AM »

I never ever knew the Beach Boys did a song for the Cubs... Omg... This is horribly awesome!!!  Shocked

That same cassette had them doing a Cubs-themed Surfin' Safari parody, but I've yet hear it!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2017, 09:00:07 AM »

I need to hear it as a Cubs fan!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2017, 09:42:58 AM »

Meeting Bruce on several occasions, he was always, 'over the top' nice to me. Bought me breakfast one time. Ushered me into a backstage gathering with all the band on another occasion. One time I interrupted him on a walk outside the venue, on a crazy hot day. I could tell he was probably a little annoyed, but we had met a few times before. And frankly, it was probably an imposition on his afternoon routine. But we headed back inside and had along chat that was truly interesting. Good guy.

Mike I have met a few times. Never as chatty as Bruce but always cordial. And I have seen him spend a ton of time taking requests for pictures and autographs, while his family waited by to head up to their rooms.

Brian once. A few short replies. Later he was sitting by himself in the room, and I could have taken a shot and gone over and tried to dialogue but, I let it go.

Al, no real interaction...I was talking to Bruce and Al came over. Bruce was in the middle of a joke. Al popped in to the group, and Bruce was like 'Al, look who it is (meaning me)..Al was rightly confused about the whole thing and started walking away, while Bruce kept yelling, 'AL, look who's here'

Kowalski was always a good dude. Cowsill, for some reason our encounters have been awkward, but I am sure he's ok.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2017, 09:54:35 AM »

I've never heard a story really of Brian being an a-hole or being mean to anyone.

I have it on good authority, he once beat up a clown....
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2017, 10:43:50 AM »

I haven't met Brian or Al.  I did contact Al was and asked if he would sign an item for me if I sent it to him.  He was very nice during my brief interaction with him and he did sign my item.

I met Mike and Bruce two years ago.  The venue was right across from the local mall.  I saw their tour bus when I came out of the mall (I was waiting around for the concert).  I decided to walk over just to see if I could meet anyone.  This was several hours before the concert.  Jeff came over and talked with me for a bit and took a picture.  He was really cool.  Bruce came out of the venue and was walking over to the mall.  He stopped and talked with me for several minutes and took a pic as well.  When he came back, he stopped and talked some more.  Mike didn't get off the bus until right before the show started.  By that point, I was joined by several other fans.  Mike promised that he would come out after the show and meet with all of us.  He kept that promise.  He spent a considerable amount of time signing autographs, taking pictures, and talking with fans.  He was very nice.  I talked with Scott as well, who was also pretty cool. 

No one has really mentioned Blondie in this thread.  I'd love to meet him.  He seems like a really cool guy.

We met Blondie last summer in Vermont.  We were walking around after the show and he was standing by the bus alone.  We wandered over and talked to him and rambled for a while about how happy we were to be able to see him sing.  He was very nice and said we were very sweet for complimenting him.  Beyond that he wasn't super talkative but overall it was a very nice interaction.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 11:11:29 AM »

I've never heard a story really of Brian being an a-hole or being mean to anyone.

Grin
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »

Grin

Do we have any confirmation that this story is the source of the Man Vs. Clown website name? Serious question.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »

A friend of mine had a brief encounter with Blondie after a show last year.  He told Blondie he was a big fan and asked if he could get a picture with him.  I won't repeat Blondie's reply verbatim due to some lewd terminology and I'm not sure what the rules are here in that regard, but he said that Blondie said no because he was trying to, ummm....we'll say, find a lady to spend some "quality" time with.  Obviously, I wasn't there, but I doubt that my friend would make that up.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2017, 12:36:31 PM »

I was at the Appleton, WI show a couple weeks ago as well! I met Mike before the show and he signed a couple of my albums. Bruce refused to sign them and said "I have to get to work" and ran off. 

I have met Bruce on a few occasions and you never know what you'll get with him. He can be the nicest guy in the world one day and then downright rude the next.

Al is overall a nice guy, but some people have noted that he's a bit crankier these days than what he used to be. This touring schedule has to be wearing down on those guys. Met him in Milwaukee after the show last month and he was nice.

At best, I'd say I had a decent encounter with Blondie. I waited after the show in Nashville to have him signed my Carl and The Passions and he just ignored me. A couple weeks later in Chicago he did sign something for me, but he doesn't seem very interested to meet fans unless they're in the meet and greet.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »

I met Brian in 2009 and Mike in 2016. Even though both meetings were brief they were nonetheless fantastic and memorable.

I met Brian backstage at Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel in Providence Rhode Island. I was allowed about two minutes with him. I introduced myself to him, he said my name back to me (twice). He thanked me for coming to the show and he signed two posters for me. He was very friendly. I spoke to him about my favorite songs of his, and I told him how long I've been a fan (since I was three in the 1970s). He seemed touched by what I told him and he thanked me. I also got to take a picture with him. Brian was totally with it and seemed like he was in a very good mood. Great experience!

I met Mike at Harvard Books in Cambridge MA during the book signing in 2016. This time I was only allowed one minute. But during that one minute Mike Love was a complete gentleman to me and my girlfriend (whom he reffered to as "dear"). I was wearing a Summer In Paradise T shirt I got in the 1990s and he just took one look at my shirt and said "Wow I love that shirt!" (I know lots of you are cringing right now, so bite me, lol....) We shook hands, each got autographs and several pictures. We briefly talked about some of my favorite Beach Boy moments and Mike was very gracious for all kind words. We stretched our 60 second meeting to about 90 seconds and then the Harvard Book people basically shooed us away, but Mike said goodbye and thanked us. Not long after the book signing I took my son to see Mike & Bruce, and after the concert Mike came over and mingled with the fans. My son was 4 at the time and was wearing a Beach Boys hat. Mike came over to my son, shook his hand and autographed my son's hat. You should've seen my son's eyes light up. "Wow Daddy I know one of the Beach Boys!" My experiences with Mike Love have been very positive and memorable.

I also met Jeffrey Foskett in 2014 at a Beach Boys concert in Cohasset MA in 2014. I was wearing a Pacific Ocean Blue tee shirt that day and Jeff told me that he loved my shirt. We talked about Dennis for about 2 or 3 minutes. We took a picture too, and he signed my ticket stub. He was a pleasure to meet. Great personality, all smiles.

A few weeks ago I met Billy Hinsche and Probyn Gregory at the Lynn Auditorium in Lynn MA. Probyn talked to me for about 10 minutes. We spoke about NRBQ, Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel, and other topics. He seemed to be very cool to the fans. He talked to tons of fans that night. Billy was friendly, but sort of quiet (I think he just wanted to get to the bus and relax). I just grabbed his attention, told him I was fan, we shook hands and he said thanks.

Back in 2011 I met Scott Bennett at a Dean Torrence concert in Woonsocket RI. I know he's not a popular topic to talk about these days, but he seemed like a nice guy. Probably talked to him for five minutes, about touring and Brian. Also that day I spoke with Mike Kawowlski (who was drumming for Dean) for about a minute. He seemed like a very nice guy as well.

That covers all Beach Boy related people I've met. But as far as meeting Brian and Mike go, it was an awesome experience from both. All positive.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2017, 08:13:58 AM »

A friend of mine had a brief encounter with Blondie after a show last year.  He told Blondie he was a big fan and asked if he could get a picture with him.  I won't repeat Blondie's reply verbatim due to some lewd terminology and I'm not sure what the rules are here in that regard, but he said that Blondie said no because he was trying to, ummm....we'll say, find a lady to spend some "quality" time with.  Obviously, I wasn't there, but I doubt that my friend would make that up.

This is in line with the Blondie I met once. Not surprised.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2017, 09:16:14 AM »

This is in line with the Blondie I met once. Not surprised.

Sounds about right. The only time I met Blondie was also by mistake hanging around the buses trying to meet Al and Brian (too late for Brian). Blondie had already found his umm..."Wild Honey" for the night as she was hanging on his arm...and not much bigger than his arm. It was also obvious he had been treating himself to some of those funny looking cigarettes as I think I nearly got a contact high off his odor...nonetheless, he was kind enough to sign my ticket stub and chat with the half dozen or so of us that were there, I made a point to tell him how much "Wild Honey" kicks ass in this set and he gargled out something like "Yeah man...it's CRAZY!" and he stared right in to my eyes and widened his like an owl and for a split second I feared for my life....true rock and roll through and through.  LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2017, 09:49:37 AM »

he stared right in to my eyes and widened his like an owl and for a split second I feared for my life....

Awesome and hiliarous...

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2017, 09:52:00 AM »

I could have told any fan that wearing a "Summer in Paradise" shirt will more than sufficiently pump Mike's ego.

Now, a much more interesting experiment would be to wear a "Looking Back with Love" t-shirt. I would normally think he's get a kick out of that too, but many of us have seen Brian bring up the album during that 1989 "fireside" session, and Mike clearly wants to forget about it (though one wonders if LBWL may have actually sold at least marginally more copies...).

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2017, 09:56:13 AM »

he stared right in to my eyes and widened his like an owl and for a split second I feared for my life....

Awesome and hiliarous...

It was indeed a ...hoot...  LOL

I was also fortunate enough to thank most of the band members as they were leaving that night. Darian was exceptionally grateful. Mertens completely ignored us, but he seemed very mentally preoccupied. He was also carrying all of his own wind instruments which really confused me. Eventually Al was the last to come out, he had a carry out container and I worked my way to the center of the crowd around him and asked him to sign my C50 meet and greet photo, he agreed to if I would walk to the bus with him...I told him I could do that and he let out a big cackle!  LOL  

I've had a wide variety of interactions with all the guys at a lot of different kinds of shows and not once did anything negative ever happen. I've been quite fortunate really...especially as I read some of these off the wall things that have happened.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2017, 10:09:02 AM »

Eventually Al was the last to come out, he had a carry out container and I worked my way to the center of the crowd around him and asked him to sign my C50 meet and greet photo, he agreed to if I would walk to the bus with him...I told him I could do that and he let out a big cackle!  LOL  

I have a food-related Al story. When I went to his local charity gig in 2005, I was walking through the park he was playing at, making my way to the small amphitheater where the gig was. The park was already closed as I recall, or about to close, so it was dead other than a group of people cutting through to get to the concert location. As I walked by a couple on a park bench with a dude eating a chocolate soft-serve ice cream cone, I realized it was Al. He was almost literally "waiting for a bus", and indeed totally blurred into the background so that I barely caught it.

I ended up going up and asking for a quick photo, which he obliged. He seemed just slightly hesitant and his wife was actually pep talking him (or sort of half-way jokingly guilting him) into doing it. It turns out he wasn't apprehensive because he didn't want to meet fans or anything. His problem was that his ice cream cone was making a huge mess and it was all over his hand, which I only learned as I reached out to shake his hand and he indicated that that was probably a bad idea.....

Got a pic (which I'm normally not even into, but I knew a pic was all I could get and a signature wasn't going to happen with his ice cream hands...). I ended up also getting a couple signatures from him *after* the show and he was great and talkative (and, as I already mentioned, *unprompted* talking about getting a BB reunion together).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:10:29 AM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx