gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:18:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Meeting Brian & Al vs Mike & Bruce  (Read 15574 times)
chicubs1983
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2017, 06:10:50 PM »

I've been a lurker on this site for years but finally decided to make a profile. Love the site.

Now that I've met both camps and got to actually talk to both sides I've drawn up some conclusions that really shocked me.  I have always been one in the camp of Brian and Al.  Met that side of the group once in a meet and greet which was horrible and a waste and once where I talked with Al briefly at the airport.  I know Brian isn't a man of words and I understood that but even Al came across in not the best of ways.  He talked briefly but just seemed like he didn't want to be apart of the conversation.  It was still an honor to meet both and talk with Al for as brief as it was.

Just this past weekend in Appleton Wisconsin, I saw Mike and Bruce's camp and the show was great.  I was lucky enough to have front row seats and even poked fun at Mike twice and he seemed to really like it.  Both him and Bruce made notice of the 60s style of the striped shirt I was wearing which I thought was really cool.  At the end of the show they gave a Vietnam Vet next to me a hat which made this guys day.  Very cool but I still thought that Brian and Al were the "true beach boys"   So after the show my girlfriend and I went out for drinks and had a blast.  As we are stumbling our way back to the hotel we cross paths with Brian Eichenberger. Nice dude.  As we walk into our hotel lobby. Bruce is leaving the bar area and rides with us in the elevator. Talk about a guy who loves being a Beach Boy. Great conversation.  Neither of us had a marker for an autograph but he said for us to meet him in the lobby in the morning at 10:30.  We thought, sure ok. just being nice. We took the bait and went to the lobby restaurant there and sure as can be. Him and Scott Totten were there and he recognized us. Signed an autograph and talked 10 mins. (Note, made reference to how great Brian was).  So me and the girlfriend thought ok. Can't top this and went back to our room. Check out was at noon and we waited to the last second.  So we are at the front desk, checking out making small talk with the people at the desk when Mike Love walks out from the elevator. My girlfriend flipped and went right to him. He was gracious, warm, signed autographs and made plenty of small talk and took a photo with each of us.  Since we were leaving, we walked with him one on one to the tour bus all the while still talking.  He even joked about my girlfriends purplish dyed hair... He asked if we were going to the next show in Madison which we were. Asked where we were sitting and that was it.  Later that evening at the show he pointed right at us, smiled and waved.

So I have to admit.  Brian is a legend and Al is great but Mike and Bruce really took the cake here.  I couldn't believe how nice and gracious they were and how they actually talked to us and answered questions.  I can almost understand the two versions and as to why they don't click anymore.  It's sad but I'm thankful for the experience.  Was a great weekend for sure!
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 06:14:09 PM »

I've had similar interactions, Al can be the nicest of guys or completely ignore you and act like your wasting his time, Bruce can be the same way. Mike has always been nothing but nice and Brian is Brian not much else you can say, he did stop and take a picture with me when I ran into him at a hotel once but didn't have much to say which seems to be the norm with him. Again not taking sides I love them all and it's an honor anytime I can speak or meet them.
chicubs1983
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 06:20:11 PM »

I guess I was just surprised by it all...  Was not what I was expecting from Mike and Bruce.  Good to know about your experiences. Guess we all have our days where we can be nice or just want to be left alone.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 06:32:56 PM »

BW and Al were great when I met them, old guys are moody though! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 06:34:15 PM »

Go Cubs go! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ybDexDAd33E
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:35:24 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 06:42:27 PM »

BW and Al were great when I met them, old guys are moody though! Grin

Meeting Brian is on my bucket list Sad

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
chicubs1983
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 06:57:31 PM »

I never ever knew the Beach Boys did a song for the Cubs... Omg... This is horribly awesome!!!  Shocked
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:58:09 PM by chicubs1983 » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 07:08:15 PM »

Bruce has always struck me as being a pretty good fella...a real, true Beach Boys booster, and fairly easy to talk to.  That dates back to the early days and then moving forward.  Carl used to be that way too.  The other guys?  Inconsistent and, of course, Brian had some pretty obvious issues which impacted on his ability to socialize.  I guess it matters which day you run into the 'Boys'.  Last time I saw Mike...he was really pretty decent.  Sometimes?  He was not so engaging.

For some of the guys I'm sure it's way beyond 'old'.  [and forgettable].  I sat and had a couple of beverages at a post show 'thing' back at the hotel bar with Bruce.  The other guys were all there....sitting at various tables...spending time with friends and/or acquaintances who'd came back to the 'Inn'.  We shot the breeze for close to 40 minutes.  Talked about all kinds of stuff.  It was the summer of '82.  Bruce was not all that happy about a couple of ongoing 'issues'.  He spelled them out to me.  I never specifically made mention of them to anyone and never brought any of it up on the air.  It was a private chat.  I ran into Bruce in a different city as I had moved on up in the 'world'  about 9 or 10 months later.  He didn't know me from Adam.  So it goes.  I was there talking with Bruce that specific time.  He does it with whomever all of the time.   Didn't mean that he wasn't  and isn't friendly.  That's  his general nature as far as I can tell.  I took no offense.  I still don't.

And as giving of his time as Carl was to me...that never changed the fact that he was really quite a private person and he cherished his private life and family.

Hangin' with us is part of 'the job'.  It isn't always the best part.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 07:08:44 PM »

Reminds me of the first time I met Bruce and Mike, and the other guys in their band, back in 2009, and every time since (including last week). Nice and gracious, sometimes funny, always respectful of Brian and the whole legacy. Best thing Bruce said to me, on our very first meeting: I asked if he missed playing the bass...he shrugged, said he never was that good at it, then said: "You what I do miss? I miss Brian, and Carl, and Al. And Dennis." Pretty cool thing to say, in my book.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 07:21:33 PM »

I should also mention that the two times I met Al (2010 and 2012), he was fine. Brief but nice conversations. Same thing with Dave. Although I attended one of the 2012 meet-and-greets, I didn't get the opportunity to speak with Brian...the only time that's happened was when he called me in 2005, as part of that Katrina fundraiser (make a contribution of $100 or more, and Brian calls you). As you can imagine, it was a very "stiff" Brian on the other end, but still he answered all my questions (I managed to go over the one-question limit, milking it as much as I could...confirmed that it's him playing organ on "Passing By", but that it was Bruce on "Wild Honey").
John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 07:48:58 PM »

I have worked in the radio industry for 30 years. And, I've been to these "meet and greets" and VIP "press parties," etc. etc. more times than I can count. Country artists, pop artists, oldies artists (who can be the biggest prima donnas of them all: don't even get me started about David Clayton Thomas). And, I know with full disclosure going in that these people are "working" and I'm not even considered a passing acquaintance.

I have not been wowed by any of them, nor do I have any desire to hang around with them. Having said that, Jeff Foskett was nice enough back in 2011 to help set up a meeting with Brian in Grand Rapids, MI, following a show. There was a small handful of us, and we were ushered into a private location where Brian was brought in to talk to us. He couldn't have been more gracious, but he was extremely shy and reserved. He posed for a few pictures with each of us and made his way back to his tour bus. It was truly a thrill for me to get a picture, which is now my avatar. But, the conversation was brief. I personally thanked him for being such an inspirational force in my life, and I loved his work more than I could articulate. He replied with a whispery "thank you." That's all I needed.

Aside from that, I pay for their shows, enjoy every minute of them, and give them their space. I feel I'm in "overtime' enjoying all of these people, and each year is a bonus. Someday, I'll look back and wish it were still really happening.
chicubs1983
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 08:18:17 PM »

These are some great stories and insight.  It's always been fascinating to me all the individual stories from over the years.  Especially the story mentioned going back to 1982.  I wasn't even born yet.  Grin  C-man, that is a great story.  Always makes me wonder if Bruce ever communicates with the other camp at all.  Seems to be well liked by everyone.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 06:01:15 AM »

L fucking OL  Grin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 06:27:47 AM »

Um, yeah, I'm not a big fan of an arbitrary "who's nicer to the fans" contest. I'm especially not a fan of such when it's based off single anecdotal experiences.

Good lord, if we were all judged (and compared to others!?!) based on literally ONE interaction.....

For the record, looking NOT at single anecdotal experiences but rather after having read and collected MANY stories from fans over the years, here's what I think is a better general idea of how these guys are to fans:

Brian - Unless you're buds with the guy or get a good interview rapport with him, you're likely going to get a rather brusque or at least polite but quick interaction with him. Why people are *still* surprised when their VIP meet and greet with Brian doesn't get them anything other than the promised quick pic, I don't know. He's been doing these VIP things for several years and his attitude at them is clear at this stage. Further, fan stories from prior to the era where the VIP packages were sold tell a similar story. I've never heard a story really of Brian being an a-hole or being mean to anyone. He's just Brian, and it's quick and he's not going to give your entire group big hugs and ask you where you kids are going to college or whatever. Frankly, Brian may be the most *consistent* when it comes to how he interacts with fans in these situations.

Al - Al is usually super nice and conversant when he's able to be, etc. He has a bit of that Al idiosyncrasy going on where he can be distracted by something else, or kind of ask or answer a question in a slightly weird way. Al often seems to have some sort of larger purpose going on, even when he's meeting fans. Rather than turning on the fake charm when meeting fans, he often seems to act like, believe it or not, a regular person! He asks questions about what you're holding or where you came from. When I met him and talked to him back in 2005, he didn't turn on the PR charm and give me fake thumbs up and all of that. He asked where I was from, and I mentioned a gig he had done five years earlier with Family & Friends I had gone to which he stunningly *did* specifically remember (telling *me* the name of the venue), and then later on he actually was going *on and on* (unprompted!) about reuniting with the Beach Boys. He seemed almost doggedly determined to make it happen, citing a recent Eagles concert he had been to and how he felt the BBs could put together and even more valid, high quality reunion show.

Mike - With regular interactions with fans, I've pretty much NEVER heard a story of Mike being an a-hole. He's almost uniformly nice and pleasant. I know people like to recount these stories as if they're contradicting Mike's reputation, but this just isn't the case. His reputation for being an a-hole has nothing to do with his day-to-day interactions with fans. Now, I *have* heard some pretty disappointing stories about Mike that I guess are not appropriate to share, that do involve fans in some fashion. But let's just say it doesn't involve some fanboy or fangirl with a VIP pass getting their meet and greet. Mike is by all accounts fine when it comes to those.

Bruce - By leaps and bounds the most Jekyll and Hyde based on many, many fan accounts. He's sometimes the most over-the-top, gushing nice guy you'll ever meet. He'll tell you Brian is the biggest genius of all time, tell you Al is greatest singer ever, and probably personally deliver a pizza to you. He'll converse about deep BB cuts and arcane trivia. Then, other times, he has seemingly arbitrarily been a total prick, actively antagonizing fans and bystanders as if he's on a mission to do it. He'll call people into deep BB stuff "bottom feeders", be less the complimentary towards some other band members, and single people out and bully them for *no* reason (read the infamous story from the 2012 tour where a poor guy was treated really poorly). And that's not even getting into his politics, which he either completely shuts up about or then decides to start spilling the beans on revealing a whole other repugnant side.

As for backing band members past and present from all sides, apart from Foskett (who himself is usually also gracious to fans), I haven't really heard anything bad about *fan* interactions (and we're obviously not including Scott Bennett in this equation) when it comes to these guys. I've heard plenty of stories about Totten and Darian and all of those guys. They *are* superfans, so they get that aspect of it. If you ask Bruce about a deep cut from the 70s, he may get into a great conversation about it, or he'll make fun of you or deride you for caring. But if you ask Totten or Darian or Probyn or Cowsill, they'll just about surely be into talking about it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:38:51 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 06:52:56 AM »

it's my favorite team and band! LOL

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 06:56:12 AM »

Wonderful heart-warming stories, guys. I'm not often up to reading a complete topic (no stamina!) but I breezed through this one. A real breath of fresh air...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 07:24:15 AM »

Great post HJ and I'm right there with your preface before going into each member. Any takes on Dennis and Carl as well? I've had encounters with all of them over the years and have basically found them to be, at least on the road, interested and willing to take part in accepting their role toward the fans quite well. And yes, that applies to myKe as well. I don't enjoy nor do I have the time to type long pieces about my encounters with them, but would like to share them someday.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 08:33:13 AM »

Um, yeah, I'm not a big fan of an arbitrary "who's nicer to the fans" contest. I'm especially not a fan of such when it's based off single anecdotal experiences.

Good lord, if we were all judged (and compared to others!?!) based on literally ONE interaction.....

For the record, looking NOT at single anecdotal experiences but rather after having read and collected MANY stories from fans over the years, here's what I think is a better general idea of how these guys are to fans:

Brian - Unless you're buds with the guy or get a good interview rapport with him, you're likely going to get a rather brusque or at least polite but quick interaction with him. Why people are *still* surprised when their VIP meet and greet with Brian doesn't get them anything other than the promised quick pic, I don't know. He's been doing these VIP things for several years and his attitude at them is clear at this stage. Further, fan stories from prior to the era where the VIP packages were sold tell a similar story. I've never heard a story really of Brian being an a-hole or being mean to anyone. He's just Brian, and it's quick and he's not going to give your entire group big hugs and ask you where you kids are going to college or whatever. Frankly, Brian may be the most *consistent* when it comes to how he interacts with fans in these situations.

Al - Al is usually super nice and conversant when he's able to be, etc. He has a bit of that Al idiosyncrasy going on where he can be distracted by something else, or kind of ask or answer a question in a slightly weird way. Al often seems to have some sort of larger purpose going on, even when he's meeting fans. Rather than turning on the fake charm when meeting fans, he often seems to act like, believe it or not, a regular person! He asks questions about what you're holding or where you came from. When I met him and talked to him back in 2005, he didn't turn on the PR charm and give me fake thumbs up and all of that. He asked where I was from, and I mentioned a gig he had done five years earlier with Family & Friends I had gone to which he stunningly *did* specifically remember (telling *me* the name of the venue), and then later on he actually was going *on and on* (unprompted!) about reuniting with the Beach Boys. He seemed almost doggedly determined to make it happen, citing a recent Eagles concert he had been to and how he felt the BBs could put together and even more valid, high quality reunion show.

Mike - With regular interactions with fans, I've pretty much NEVER heard a story of Mike being an a-hole. He's almost uniformly nice and pleasant. I know people like to recount these stories as if they're contradicting Mike's reputation, but this just isn't the case. His reputation for being an a-hole has nothing to do with his day-to-day interactions with fans. Now, I *have* heard some pretty disappointing stories about Mike that I guess are not appropriate to share, that do involve fans in some fashion. But let's just say it doesn't involve some fanboy or fangirl with a VIP pass getting their meet and greet. Mike is by all accounts fine when it comes to those.

Bruce - By leaps and bounds the most Jekyll and Hyde based on many, many fan accounts. He's sometimes the most over-the-top, gushing nice guy you'll ever meet. He'll tell you Brian is the biggest genius of all time, tell you Al is greatest singer ever, and probably personally deliver a pizza to you. He'll converse about deep BB cuts and arcane trivia. Then, other times, he has seemingly arbitrarily been a total prick, actively antagonizing fans and bystanders as if he's on a mission to do it. He'll call people into deep BB stuff "bottom feeders", be less the complimentary towards some other band members, and single people out and bully them for *no* reason (read the infamous story from the 2012 tour where a poor guy was treated really poorly). And that's not even getting into his politics, which he either completely shuts up about or then decides to start spilling the beans on revealing a whole other repugnant side.

As for backing band members past and present from all sides, apart from Foskett (who himself is usually also gracious to fans), I haven't really heard anything bad about *fan* interactions (and we're obviously not including Scott Bennett in this equation) when it comes to these guys. I've heard plenty of stories about Totten and Darian and all of those guys. They *are* superfans, so they get that aspect of it. If you ask Bruce about a deep cut from the 70s, he may get into a great conversation about it, or he'll make fun of you or deride you for caring. But if you ask Totten or Darian or Probyn or Cowsill, they'll just about surely be into talking about it.

I have had the opportunity to have many chances to meet all of the guys (including Carl, but never Dennis) between 1988-2012. I couldn't have summed it up better than the above.  100% dead on accurate.  Except I will add that Carl was always a complete gentleman to everybody.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 11:23:01 AM »

I have had the opportunity to have many chances to meet all of the guys (including Carl, but never Dennis) between 1988-2012. I couldn't have summed it up better than the above.  100% dead on accurate.  Except I will add that Carl was always a complete gentleman to everybody.

Thanks, and yeah, I left out Carl and Dennis simply because there have been less first-hand accounts online concerning them.

I think Carl is generally known to always be gracious with fans.

In the grand scheme of things, there might be less disappointing "true stories" of backstage BB shenanigans compared to many or most bands. I think that Bruce thing from 2012 might be one of the most chilling, unfortunate stories I've heard, considering how antagonistic Bruce was compared to how much of a *fan* the fan was.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 02:11:50 PM »

does anyone have a link to the 2012 Bruce story? I'm not sure If I've heard it. Also thanks for the insight each of you have given on this topic  Cheesy
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 02:30:24 PM »

I so much regret that I never got the chance to meet Carl Wilson, the one member of the Beach Boys that I've idolized since my early teen years.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »

I so much regret that I never got the chance to meet Carl Wilson, the one member of the Beach Boys that I've idolized since my early teen years.
I got to meet him once, 1983, after a solo show in Seattle. He was very kind, signed an album and photo for me, took time for everyone waiting backstage, even those who were a bit on the aggressive side. Wish I could have thought of something intelligent to say, but I was a fanboy...just lost in the clouds.
Amalgamate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 02:46:18 PM »

Seconding what Add Some said about meeting fans being part of the job. I think a lot of artists only meet fans because they can make money doing it or because they're so polite they can't say no. It's still a bother. Now, if you're naturally extroverted and good at talking to people, it's easier to get some enjoyment out of that. Mike definitely seems like a people person, so it doesn't surprise me at all that he enjoys talking to fans. He's totally in his element! Brian, meanwhile, is more introverted, and having to talk to a bunch of total strangers for no reason other than they paid you sounds like hell to an introvert.

Also worth noting that behaving oneself well in meet and greets is a skill you can develop. In the J-Pop and K-pop idol factories, one of the things you learn is how to behave yourself around fans, how to always be polite and how to always say the right thing. It's part of the image. Now while there were manufactured groups in the 60s, of course, I don't think the PR lessons were as intense as they are for Idol groups. This still allows for some real personality to get out. Who knows what advice they were given before interviews?

Finally, and most importantly, no matter how much of a people person you are and how well you're trained, you're still human, and there are days when you don't want to have to condescend to listen to someone tell you "you're the greatest person in my life!", or deal with some of the heavy stuff people throw at you (I know fans who told Lady Gaga stuff like "you saved my life when I was considering suicide"... while ultimately a positive message, that's really dark stuff and I imagine it's not always easy for the receiver, especially if they're an empathetic person who feels what other people feel very quickly). All it takes is one bad day for someone to badmouth you forever. I read a review once that said Ariana Grande was so mean and terrible to her fans because... she didn't come out to meet them after the show? Or she looked at someone the wrong way? Never mind every other time she was friendly, never mind that she released high quality versions of songs she hated because she knew her long-time fans would love them, that guy is going to spend the rest of his life telling everyone Ariana Grande is a terrible human being. If you want an example closer to the Beach Boys, stories of interacting with Van Dyke Parks range from "he was the nicest person ever and he spent 12 hours with each fan discussing the trumpets on the mix of a B-side from 1976 and then bought everyone dessert as an apology for leaving" to "he burned my house, salted my fields, gave me acne, and burst into flames when I mentioned the word 'smile'."

Who is the "real" person? They're all real! Ariana Grande side-eyeing a fan after a concert and Ariana Grande taking pictures with fans outside of her show are both "her." So I bet that Bruce Johnston is both a nice guy who appreciates his fan and a guy who may resent some of the fanaticism. It's contradictory, but we all have difficult and conflicting feelings about something. These folks just happen to be in the spotlight and have forums dedicated to tracking their move, so any slip-up they make is magnified while our bad days are washed away like refuse into the gutter on a rainy day. It's not really fair to judge 'em by these highly artificial contexts or spaces where someone is asking for their time.

I tricked a club promoter into playing "The Elements" at a show and it was *fire*.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 03:03:24 PM »

As you say, young pop stars may be trained on how to interact with fans, what to say in interviews, etc. Just because you have the goods to be a teen idol doesn't mean you have people skills. The same goes for athletes, of course. I know that figure skaters, who in the U.S. are expected to be as bland and devoid of personality as anything, attend "media training." They learn to give canned answers like, "I'm just going to try my best and not worry about the competition," and I'm sure they also learn how to interact with fans. And I also know that when they say something controversial, they're sent back to media training, almost as punishment. I bet some young pop stars have something similar, or at least they have a manager lecturing them on how to behave. This is because they're cash cows. Their labels and/or management can't afford to have them mess up. So of course they're not showing who they really are. I'm sure it gets trickier with social media.

But when it comes to older, established stars, I think the game changes. First off, these people have built lives. They have spouses, kids, and mortgages, etc. They don't always have time for fans, and they aren't always in the mood. And they probably care less than younger stars because they have other concerns, and they're established already. But even for older stars, it HAS to be incredibly hard to hear things like, "You saved me from suicide," or even, "I've been waiting to meet you for 20 years and this is the best day of my life." Who can deal with that kind of pressure? Some stars can turn on the charm. Others are naturally good with people. Tori Amos as an incredible reputation for spending a long time just listening to each fan's story, while nodding and making eye contact and hugging and being very genuine. But not everyone can handle that. It's a lot to take on.

You can't really gauge a person's true character based on fan interactions. It's more how that person behaved and treated others throughout their life.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 07:25:05 PM »

does anyone have a link to the 2012 Bruce story? I'm not sure If I've heard it. Also thanks for the insight each of you have given on this topic  Cheesy

Likewise! I am intrigued...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx