gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680995 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 06:40:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does anybody know the background of this photo?  (Read 11609 times)
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:57:49 PM »

Howdy guys, was just listening to Brian's interview on Howard Stern from 1989 and saw a photo i've never seen before! Can anybody tell me the context/time period of it? Brian and Dennis both look very unfortunate  Undecided

https://youtu.be/gZPjRuZsgMw?t=294 (4:54 if the embedding doesn't work)
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 11:32:49 PM »

I'm thinking 1982-ish.  Pretty bad photo.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 11:37:37 PM »

I'm thinking 1982-ish.  Pretty bad photo.

Thats what I figured, looks like the last few months of Dennis. I wonder though what the context of the photo is, could this be one of the last times Brian saw Dennis alive
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 01:42:21 AM »

That was taken in 1983. I've seen a very similar picture that must have been taken seconds apart of this one, only Dennis is holding his head to the side.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 02:23:34 AM »

May 1983 according to this.

https://orkinpod.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/the-beach-boys-the-war-on-drugs-and-the-heteroamerican-dream/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 06:22:14 AM »

That pic is definitely from 1983. It's from after Brian had hooked back up with Landy and was slimming down.

It could be from as early as February 1983 when Brian first came back out just to do a couple shows with the band in Hawaii. He then didn't resurface until May as I recall, and there is more footage/pics from that run of shows, including the pro-shot May 22, 1983 Seattle Kingdome show.

So I'm guessing the pic is either February or May of 1983.

I don't think the pic is that bad. Dennis never looked 100% in 1983, but he looks okay for 1983 in that pic. And, as mentioned, Brian is looking much better than 1982 and is starting to slim down and clean up and whatnot.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 10:03:05 AM »

Interesting to listen to the perspective as 'lived' at that point in time.  Melinda was just new into developing a relationship slowly over time with Brian. And Brian alluded to her twice. Sounded like Landy was good for Brian at THAT time...according to Brian.  Brian seemed far more conversational back then...He had no trouble speaking off the top of his head and immediately reacting to the moment at hand.  What am I saying?  He doesn't SOUND like a victim here.

Then I hung in for some of Love and Stern.  Howard isn't "the ONLY person in the world who tells it like it is" Michael.  I do too...and I'll tell you what...I am NOT still crying, bitching and moaning about the same sh*t that pissed me off 30 years ago.  You...on the other hand...are.  S A D.  "We're singing that same song
We're still singing that same song
We're singing that same song
That same song
That same song

Same song
Oh yeah
Same song
Oh yeah
Same song that same song"

Do do do do do do-da...

You should add this song to your set list...Lead off with it, wrap up the first set with it, sing it again right after the intermission and then make it the last song in your encore.  That would likely end the need for encores...ever again.  Just like it's wiped out the need for interviews...ever again.

And THAT is the way that it IS.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:05:27 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 10:30:52 AM »

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 01:00:58 PM »

Interesting to listen to the perspective as 'lived' at that point in time.  Melinda was just new into developing a relationship slowly over time with Brian. And Brian alluded to her twice. Sounded like Landy was good for Brian at THAT time...according to Brian.  Brian seemed far more conversational back then...He had no trouble speaking off the top of his head and immediately reacting to the moment at hand.  What am I saying?  He doesn't SOUND like a victim here.

Then I hung in for some of Love and Stern.  Howard isn't "the ONLY person in the world who tells it like it is" Michael.  I do too...and I'll tell you what...I am NOT still crying, bitching and moaning about the same sh*t that pissed me off 30 years ago.  You...on the other hand...are.  S A D.  "We're singing that same song
That same song
That same song

Same song
Oh yeah
Same song
Oh yeah

Do do do do do do-da...

You should add this song to your set list...Lead off with it, wrap up the first set with it, sing it again right after the intermission and then make it the last song in your encore.  That would likely end the need for encores...ever again.  Just like it's wiped out the need for interviews...ever again.

He just asked about the photo. Is there ever a thread that goes by where you don't take it as an opportunity to attack a memeber of a band you supposedly like? I can understand in threads where it actually pertains to the topic but this was out of no where, adding nothing to the conversation. We get it, you hate Mike, everyone knows your opinion. Now can we have a real conversation?
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 01:36:57 PM »

Definitely from '83.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 03:03:37 PM »

Definitely from '83.
yeah i would have guessed 83' too.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 04:11:58 PM »

Just looking at the YouTube clips from San Diego in May 83. Brian seems to be wearing the same combo of jacket and light shirt. Dennis shirtless (but that could be any gig! 😀)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 07:00:55 PM »

That same song
That same song

Same song
Oh yeah
Same song
Oh yeah

Do do do do do do-da...

He just asked about the photo. Is there ever a thread that goes by where you don't take it as an opportunity to attack a memeber of a band you supposedly like? I can understand in threads where it actually pertains to the topic but this was out of no where, adding nothing to the conversation. We get it, you hate Mike, everyone knows your opinion. Now can we have a real conversation?

Considering the torrent of Mike apologists on other forums I welcome Add Some's posts with open arms....not to mention OldSurferDude's seemingly lifetime supply of posts that put into words what most level headed fans are thinking. The amount of crap that gets swept under the rug just so some can sleep at night after they go to one of Mike's concerts is astounding.

Years/decades down the road when people are more vocal about the behind the scenes nonsense that takes place it'll be interesting to see where people stand on this issue. AKA, to whom it may concern, some fans aren't as fucking dumb as you think they are.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 07:15:59 PM »

That same song
That same song

Same song
Oh yeah
Same song
Oh yeah

Do do do do do do-da...

Considering the torrent of Mike apologists on other forums I welcome Add Some's posts with open arms....not to mention OldSurferDude's seemingly lifetime supply of posts that put into words what most level headed fans are thinking. The amount of crap that gets swept under the rug just so some can sleep at night after they go to one of Mike's concerts is astounding.

Years/decades down the road when people are more vocal about the behind the scenes nonsense that takes place it'll be interesting to see where people stand on this issue. AKA, to whom it may concern, some fans aren't as fucking dumb as you think they are.
I'm sorry, I stopped taking you seriously when you said OldSurferDude and level headed into the same sentence LOL LOL LOL
But really, you commend posts that are completely off topic and mostly toxic, not having really any relation to what the OP wanted? And I would also like to know where I ever insinuated that some fans are "fucking dumb?" I simply asked why we can't have a thread that doesn't automatically turn to a collection of "w00ts" and who can make the "funniest" Mike joke.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 07:33:07 PM »

That same song
That same song

Same song
Oh yeah
Same song
Oh yeah

Do do do do do do-da...

I'm sorry, I stopped taking you seriously when you said OldSurferDude and level headed into the same sentence LOL LOL LOL
But really, you commend posts that are completely off topic and mostly toxic, not having really any relation to what the OP wanted? And I would also like to know where I ever insinuated that some fans are "fucking dumb?" I simply asked why we can't have a thread that doesn't automatically turn to a collection of "w00ts" and who can make the "funniest" Mike joke.

If you actually stopped taking me seriously you wouldn't follow up with a slew of questions, slugger.

I commend posts that inject a bit of logic into the ignorant bliss that a small section of this fan base seem to be intoxicated on at the moment regarding Mike Love. Also, never said you insinuated that some fans were fucking dumb, I specifically and clearly wrote "to whom it may concern" at the beginning of that sentence.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 07:35:53 PM »

Also, Lovester, this is a messageboard. As in, some threads get veered off topic one way or another because that's how conversations go sometimes. If you don't like that people are changing the topic, why not post something regarding the original topic instead of whining about what others are posting?

The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 07:47:03 PM »

Also, Lovester, this is a messageboard. As in, some threads get veered off topic one way or another because that's how conversations go sometimes. If you don't like that people are changing the topic, why not post something regarding the original topic instead of whining about what others are posting?
I do understand this is a message board, thank you. However, the way message boards work is that someone posts something with a certain topic, such as the OP asking about a certain photo of DENNIS and BRIAN. Now, he would expect all the posts to be about that photo of DENNIS and BRIAN. Nothing is helped at all when certain posters bring up certain members that do not have anything to do with the thread about the picture of DENNIS and BRIAN. These posts seek to do nothing more than disrupt the thread and attempt to change the topic. And, as this is a message board, I was able to tell the said poster that I think we should all stay on topic rather than derail the thread with the usual "MyKe LuHv is a prick" jargon. Is that really too much to ask for?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 07:59:33 PM »

I do understand this is a message board, thank you. However, the way message boards work is that someone posts something with a certain topic, such as the OP asking about a certain photo of DENNIS and BRIAN. Now, he would expect all the posts to be about that photo of DENNIS and BRIAN. Nothing is helped at all when certain posters bring up certain members that do not have anything to do with the thread about the picture of DENNIS and BRIAN. These posts seek to do nothing more than disrupt the thread and attempt to change the topic. And, as this is a message board, I was able to tell the said poster that I think we should all stay on topic rather than derail the thread with the usual "MyKe LuHv is a prick" jargon. Is that really too much to ask for?

When OSD was commenting in every thread years ago about Myke, the apologists would go on for two pages or more about how he needs to be banned for trolling. The calls for his banning turned out to be more annoying than the original OSD posts that would start those whinefests. Point being, if you really don't like something, ignore it. After a time those who disliked OSD's posts started ignoring them and threads usually stayed on topic from there on.

Honestly, most of the time Lee posts something off topic no one really responds...OSD posted some woots in response to Lee here and this thread went back on topic again. The only thing veering this post off topic now is this conversation you and I are having.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 08:02:10 PM »

That same song
That same song

Same song
Oh yeah
Same song
Oh yeah

Do do do do do do-da...

I stopped taking you seriously after I read your first post on this board. Don't think you're gonna have much of a future here ding dong, but there is a place where you'd fit in so perfectly. They call it the Pet Sound Forum. How in the hell do you have the fucking nerve to dictate what we can post on any given thread?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 08:05:51 PM »

When OSD was commenting in every thread years ago about Myke, the apologists would go on for two pages or more about how he needs to be banned for trolling. The calls for his banning turned out to be more annoying than the original OSD posts that would start those whinefests. Point being, if you really don't like something, ignore it. After a time those who disliked OSD's posts started ignoring them and threads usually stayed on topic from there on.

Honestly, most of the time Lee posts something off topic no one really responds...OSD posted some woots in response to Lee here and this thread went back on topic again. The only thing veering this post off topic now is this conversation you and I are having.
I understand what you are saying, but why even have the option to ban anybody if you could just say to anybody "if you don't like it, ignore it." Now, i'm not saying we should ban the person just for talking about a member they don't like, but why even have the option when you could just say that to anybody about anything. What constitutes an offense that could be considered for a ban when repeatedly going off topic in a pointless way is just swept under the rug and you can just ignore everything?
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 08:08:40 PM »

That same song
That same song

Same song
Oh yeah
Same song
Oh yeah

Do do do do do do-da...

I stopped taking you seriously after I read your first post on this board. Don't think you're gonna have much of a future here ding dong, but there is a place where you'd fit in so perfectly. They call it the Pet Sound Forum. How in the hell do you have the fucking nerve to dictate what we can post on any given thread?

Never said what you can a can't post, just wanted to remind you all that some of us like talking about more than one member of the band angel
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 09:18:29 PM »

The thing is...the picture was part of a series of 4 parts to an interview Brian did with Stern way back when he was just kicking his solo career into gear.  I listened to all 4 parts and marveled not only at what Brian said...but how he said it.  It is in context as that is what we were given to discuss.  That there was an audio part which accompanied the pic was just a bonus.

I hung in longer...and listened to Mr. Positive...you know...the 'poster boy' for T.M. weigh in with the same old bull sh*t and hog wash he's been spewing since Jesus was playing with wood-chips on the floor of Joseph's carpentry shoppe.  Buddy...I don't hate Mike Love.  I'm just damn good and tired of his act.  I'm spent on his mission for still more "nourishment and revenge."  His hypocritical stance is so far beyond old that it's ready for cremation.  [along with the script.]

I just feel sorry for the old f*cker.  He's spent 30 years washing his chance for credibility and honour right down the outhouse hole.  The only 'beings' who appreciate it are the rats. Cool Guy
----------------------------------------------------------
Oh...and if you had taken the time to actually read my post...you know...the one that YOU quoted you would have read what I had to say about Brian and his part in all of this...FIRST AND FOREMOST.  THAT material was interesting...and revealing...and fresh...and noteworthy...and different.  The other guy?  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:29:26 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 12:46:17 AM »

Must every conversation here turn into this  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:46:57 AM by SurferDownUnder » Logged
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 12:56:19 AM »

Agreed, it is really off-putting and childish when it happens over and over again.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 01:03:07 AM »

Agreed, it is really off-putting and childish when it happens over and over again.

Almost every thread turns into this, immature bullshit...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx