gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:00:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Captain Beefheart thread?  (Read 16647 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2017, 10:56:54 AM »

Oh I'm a big fan and that is the reason for my name. I just don't try to convince others anymore.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2017, 09:38:15 PM »

Hey John,  You sure like bumpin' this cat.  I've tried over the years to get into his bands, but it just never worked.  I even saw them live in July 1970 at the Atlanta Pop Festival.  At that time I didn't know who they were, and had not heard any of the albums.  It was in the afternoon.  I was about three-hundred yards from the stage, still moving about, eating and stuff Wink.  I didn't get to my fixed area for the night 'til about 5pm, always as close to the stage as possible.  So I wasn't paying that much attention.  I thought it sounded fairly noisy to be honest.  In a nicer way, you might call it wailing.  Lots of harp and gruff singing.

After I became an xtc fan, I tried again.  Andy said that he had been very influential, but I couldn't hear that.  So many people talk highly of his music, I tried one last time a few years ago.  Bought Safe As Milk.  I think it's good for what it is.  I only listened to it a few times.  It's just not going to grow on me.  I do like Tom Waits very very much (who can get pretty noisy himself).  That's about as close to what he sounds like as I can get.  So it's not the gruff vocals.  It's the songs.

You and the captain are probably going to jump all over me to listen again.  Maybe.  I did play your youtube links.  They work in America!

Hi cap'n. I was under the impression that you were a fan (hence your username). No problem of course----as you say in your other post, to each their own.   

I looked for your Atlanta date for a possible set list and according to all reports Beefheart's performance was cancelled. Is that possible?

I saw him twice, first in the Albert Hall (London) in '72 with the Spotlight Kid lineup----definitely my all-time favourite concert. The next one was in Amsterdam in '75 or '76 when he was regrouping after that Di Martino business, and he was just feeling his way forward again. And he was pissed, I regret to say. But that London concert----goodness gracious...
It's possible to me since I was there.  I've read that they weren't before.  I've read first hand reports that they were there.  I can't produce a set list for any of the acts.  Wish I could.  Nobody was walking around taking notes.  I only started doing that in the late 70's, and only for certain shows.  I mostly just tried to have fun listening to the music.  Some of my favorite bands were there.  I remember many of the songs that Poco, Spirit, Procol Harum, Terry Reid and others played - ones whose music I owned.  Most of them played new material.  These festivals were huge events.  Like Woodstock, there was over 300,000 people.  Very stoned people.  I was just out of High School the month before, and from a very straight place.  Northern Louisiana is very quite.  The town I grew up in was about 25,000.  Drugs were something you heard about on Tv or in the newspaper.  I had a fairly clear head that week-end.  It was eye-opening, tho.  I was seeing a lot for the first time.

Researchers use other peoples memories in cases like these.  They use signed contracts, hotel receipts and pay stubs.  But much of it was cash exchanges with no records.  I bet you've seen the Isle of Wight film.  That shows what a mess these big festival were.  I own a few DVDs of some of the acts - Jethro Tull, Who, ELP, Hendrix and the Moody Blues.  I have loads more from that week-end than I've even heard about from Atlanta.  I've studied Atlanta Pop myself over the years.  Most of the people who had cameras took pictures of the crowd of people, I haven't seen too many of the acts on stage.  Using the posters of the order in which acts played, and the day they performed differ from account to account.  I believe Beefheart played on Friday afternoon.  One of the first few acts.  As I said, I was pretty far away, but folks around me knew who he was.  I know a lot of it was recorded, and some film was made.  Have you heard the tapes or seen more than the Hendrix footage?  Why don't they release them?  I've never even heard boots.  They released an album, but there wasn't much on it.  A few songs got to the public.  Most of Hendrix's set came out last year.  Gives people something new to study.  Some of that was on an old 90's laserdisc released only in Japan.  I saw it, but I balked at the $80 price tag and passed on buying it.

Okay.  Enough for the night.  Let me go see what's happening at other spots in the cyber-world.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2017, 02:54:06 AM »

It only goes to show that even official looking lists can get it wrong. My apologies to you both. Sounds like it was quite an event!!

I wonder if Don and Band did any Trout Mask material? That harp the captain mentions makes me think he might have played this from the previous album, Strictly Personal:

https://youtu.be/bQdLhFe-G-4

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2017, 06:56:16 AM »

I'd assume at a 1970 show they would have been doing plenty of Trout Mask material. It was still more or less that same band, plus Art Tripp, if I'm not mistaken. So those guys would be the ones who knew and played Trout Mask and Decals.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2017, 04:16:17 AM »

Interestingly, there's talk at Hoffman of a documentary about the Atlanta show. But even there they're saying that Beefheart never made it. You'd think they'd check up rather than repeat online information parrot-fashion...   

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/1970-atlanta-pop-festival-new-documentary-coming.371050/

Anyway, here's our man with a blistering live performance of "Grow Fins":

https://youtu.be/zMSf6jDsJSE

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2017, 04:21:17 AM »

The Cap doing Pop music! Wink https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OFG0GYY0E3w

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2017, 05:15:15 AM »

I like it! He also did some great, (reasonably) straight pop music on Clear Spot featuring Stax-style horns and a girl group singing backup.

I have that wonderful box set myself. Chock full of goodies it is. Cool   

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2017, 10:07:09 PM »

Interestingly, there's talk at Hoffman of a documentary about the Atlanta show. But even there they're saying that Beefheart never made it. You'd think they'd check up rather than repeat online information parrot-fashion...   

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/1970-atlanta-pop-festival-new-documentary-coming.371050/

I read that thread a while back.  2014 and someone is wondering what songs were in the Allman Brothers set...  One of the few recordings that got an official release.  That was in 2003.  So why is anybody wondering in 2014?

This is all part of the confusion about Atlanta Pop 1970.  Another cat is claiming Grand Funk Railroad was the main headliner.  That just wasn't so.  They played on the last night, but were not the last to play.  Another poster said that GFR released a live album from the festival.  They did release a live album from some concerts taped in Florida in June 1970, the only thing from the Atlanta Festival about that record is a picture inside the gate-fold sleeve.  The OP talks about seeing the documentary with few full songs, and most of the acts with short clips - and not the acts I would like to see.  I want Poco, Spirit, Procol Harum, Terry Reid...the list goes on....  I don't think the film will ever come out, but I also hope I'm wrong.  If they have full sets, then release them.  The clearances couldn't be that hard to get.   There is other stuff by Poco and Spirit from the same time/era around.  Check youtube.  It's just not the Atlanta festival.   It's more likely they didn't get the full sets, and that the tapes are in rough shape.  Those limited showings were years ago now.  What's taking so long?

I don't know what else to say about Captain Beefheart being there.  I got to the festival on Thursday morning.  There was music going at the free stage in the woods late into the night.  I set up camp in that area.  The music got started about noon on Friday on the main stage.  I didn't get settled into a spot near the stage until the late afternoon.  It was very hot, and most people wandered in and out of the shadier areas 'til towards sundown.  Standing in the full sun would get you tired, quick.  As I said, I didn't know Beefheart's music at all.  I believed the people around me who said it was the Captain's band.  There was over half a dozen acts that I was not familiar with, including Mott the Hoople - I had never heard of them before.  I thought they were pretty good.  It might be a good idea for me to write about some of my better memories, maybe put them on that SHF thread to give the community a thrill.  I'm working on a Johnny Winter And post.  Johnny's teaming up with Rick from the McCoys was a big highlight.  I think that record by And was Johnny's best album.  They put out a live album that gave you a taste of how great they were.

Of the few places I've found where there are some decent tales of both Atlanta festivals (1969 and 1970), is a facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/96824579391/      It's a closed group, but if you sign up, they will let you see what's on offer with-in a day.  Lots of links to interesting stuff.  It's much better than that SHF thread.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2017, 02:43:26 AM »

It might be a good idea for me to write about some of my better memories, maybe put them on that SHF thread to give the community a thrill.  I'm working on a Johnny Winter And post.  Johnny's teaming up with Rick from the McCoys was a big highlight.  I think that record by And was Johnny's best album.  They put out a live album that gave you a taste of how great they were.

Johnny Winter was another act that never hit big in the UK. I think brother Edgar's "Frankenstein" did (#18 in '73, just looked it up). The combination of Winter and Derringer sounds interesting!   

I love that remark of Charles Shaar Murray that JW "may not be the best white guitar player in the world, but he sure as hell is the whitest". Grin

Of the few places I've found where there are some decent tales of both Atlanta festivals (1969 and 1970), is a facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/96824579391/      It's a closed group, but if you sign up, they will let you see what's on offer with-in a day.  Lots of links to interesting stuff.  It's much better than that SHF thread.

Not on FB, I'm afraid. On this one occasion it may be a disadvantage!

Here's the Captain again (plus Magic Band) with a real spine-tingler:

https://youtu.be/XF177Aj59C8

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2017, 01:48:24 PM »

I'm afraid I must dig up Don again as an illustration of some wonderful spoken parts (a hot issue across the road right now).

"Apes-Ma" is an a capella monologue and other stuff like "Neon Meate Dream Of A Octafish" and "Golden Birdies" is spoken throughout. Things get a little blurred with the likes of "Wild Life" though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGtB0hNN8EU   

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2017, 02:37:35 PM »

I love "Apes-Ma."

(also it's getting increasingly weird with cross-pollination resulting in the same topics and sometimes exact same threads going. not bad, necessarily, just weird. but better than bickering.)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2017, 01:48:09 AM »

I love "Apes-Ma."

(also it's getting increasingly weird with cross-pollination resulting in the same topics and sometimes exact same threads going. not bad, necessarily, just weird. but better than bickering.)

Exactly! It's building bridges, in a way----and that has to be a good thing.

More low yo yo stuff now (plenty of that where your namesake's coming from, lol): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiJVac8bCH8

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2017, 07:34:57 AM »

One double album not yet mentioned in the PSF topic on that subject is this masterpiece from 1969:

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx