gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:55:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kokomo Live  (Read 5895 times)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2017, 07:57:43 AM »

I understand Kokomo isn't everyone's 'cup of tea' (I like it, not their best, but fond memories of the time in which it was released)

I must say though that I have always found it's live performance underwhelming. Maybe it's the pace of the song, or maybe it would fit better earlier in the set list. Not sure. Also, is it just me, or does it seem like a bit of an awkward ending, when they finish on 'Jamaica'?
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 09:08:58 AM »

I agree completely, especially the "Jamaica" ending. On the 50th live CD/DVD, the song gets off to a rough start, as well, as the drums and strummed acoustic sort of come in on different places and at different cadences.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 09:28:10 AM »

The recording catches you with the exotic percussion...all of which they have virtually ditched on stage. Every time I hear Mike and Bruce start the song, I have to think for about five seconds and figure out what it is, unless Bruce does his terrible "let's take a trip down to Koookomoooo!"  Roll Eyes
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 09:35:39 AM »

Ya it needs a bit of a punch up, maybe a slightly quicker tempo live, if possible.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:46:37 AM »

I think they should have a loop of the beginning intro (that drum machine/percussion loop) and that'll get the song going.
KDS
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »

I think Id put it at a different spot in the setlist.  Seems a bit of an anti climax between Surfin USA and Fun Fun Fun
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 10:05:42 AM »

It needs to be played at double speed, with distortion and leather jackets
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 10:10:18 AM »

This made me laugh.  LOL
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 10:24:35 AM »

The Ramones!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »

I have the opposite opinion. I never want to listen to the recorded version, but when I've seen it done live (2x C50, 3x M&B), it's impossible not to get wrapped up in the moment and sing along.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 10:40:46 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdJcjl42D0
 LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »

Carl's studio vocals are what MAKE the song. Although I have to say that Mike's vocals are very good on the studio recording too, and as much as people might have issues with the song not being "BBs" enough, or too cheesy, Mike does sing well in this register. But without Carl's vocals, it's just weak sauce. Carl literally made the song.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »

Mike's vocals are bit on the creepy side IMO.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 01:05:33 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdJcjl42D0
 LOL

I always completely lose it when he says "cocaine", here at the 8 second mark.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 01:20:56 PM »

It's funny, I just sat down with my guitar and gave this a quick Ramones-formatted once-over and it totally works.  The best part is that the Ramones obviously would have just eliminated the sax solo completely.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 01:35:18 PM »

The best version IMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRPIKqH2csw
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 01:55:07 PM »

Best arrangement! LOL

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »

Carl's studio vocals are what MAKE the song. Although I have to say that Mike's vocals are very good on the studio recording too, and as much as people might have issues with the song not being "BBs" enough, or too cheesy, Mike does sing well in this register. But without Carl's vocals, it's just weak sauce. Carl literally made the song.
I have a hard time hearing any other Beach Boy trying to sing Carl's vocals on ANY song. God Only Knows, Good Vibrations, Darlin', Kokomo - there's a reason that guy was special. THAT voice!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 02:03:59 PM »

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 02:08:08 PM »

This is great.  It sort of reminds me of this guy's sober younger brother.  

https://youtu.be/VBs_CFbl6B8
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 02:08:39 PM by Kid Presentable » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 02:43:59 AM »

This is great.  It sort of reminds me of this guy's sober younger brother.  

https://youtu.be/VBs_CFbl6B8

Can't beat King Uszniewicz! Grin

The Vandals did a tasty souped-up version of the K-song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZKqVuxRn0M

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 05:52:34 AM »

Agreed.  The song lies dead w/o Carl.  HE made it happen.  Live?  It's torture.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 06:16:11 AM »

Agree with the comments about Carl's vocals...on Kokomo and every other song he sang lead on. None sound the same w/o Carl.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 06:48:49 PM »

Ya know now that I think about it, I don't think it ever came across spectacular live. Even with Carl. Maybe the tempo , they never got it quite right. It was all right, passable. Just not one they nailed. I don't think it fits the end of the concert either. It would be better off earlier honestly. That was definitely true with C50.
KDS
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 10:47:08 AM »

Ya know now that I think about it, I don't think it ever came across spectacular live. Even with Carl. Maybe the tempo , they never got it quite right. It was all right, passable. Just not one they nailed. I don't think it fits the end of the concert either. It would be better off earlier honestly. That was definitely true with C50.

When Mike and Bruce do shows with an intermission, I think Kokomo would be a good opener for the second set.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx