gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:38:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kokomo Live  (Read 5952 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 06:49:28 AM »

Mike puts "Kokomo" at the end of the show because he feels it *belongs* among that iconic final run of songs. I think Mike thinks the song is in every way, both artistically and commercially, on par with "Good Vibrations", and I would guess that's a big part of why "Kokomo" is usually right in the vicinity if not right next to GV in the setlist.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:07:51 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 07:11:11 AM »

Mike clearly puts "Kokomo" at the end of the show because he feels it *belongs* among that iconic final run of songs. I think Mike thinks the song is in every way, both artistically and commercially, on par with "Good Vibrations", and I would guess that's a big part of why "Kokomo" is usually right in the vicinity if not right next to GV in the setlist.

If, in fact, myKe does think along those likes, and knowing his gigantic ego, I'm sure you're entirely correct. With GV, we're dealing with artistry. With Kohkohmoe, we're dealing with what he thinks is artistic but is really a sub-standard, forgettable, run of the mill tune that doesn't have a chance in hell of standing up to GV.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 09:12:39 AM »

Let's have a battle of the bands with BW band playing GV and Mike's band playing Kokomo. Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »

I’m surprised that anti-drugs/drink Mike is such a big proponent of Kokomo, being as the song’s title could be seen as promoting both cocaine and mojitos.

Drinking Buddies
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 10:04:16 AM »

Cokomo!  LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 11:28:04 AM »

The verses in Kokomo are pleasant, though bland.  It's the chorus, and specifically the harmonies in the chorus, that really makes the song.  And it's Carl's part that makes the chorus.  So yeah, without Carl it's not nearly as nice to listen to. 

However, I don't have a problem with the song performed live, and in fact I don't find it terribly different than the record version.  I actually really like the way they end on "Jamaica"...as it's quite interesting, musically.   
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 05:19:19 PM »

Carl's studio vocals are what MAKE the song. Although I have to say that Mike's vocals are very good on the studio recording too, and as much as people might have issues with the song not being "BBs" enough, or too cheesy, Mike does sing well in this register. But without Carl's vocals, it's just weak sauce. Carl literally made the song.

^^^ This!!!  Try watching/listening to a live concert performance from the late '80s/early 90s and you'll forget about any inadequacies that you've noticed since Carl's passing.  Carl Wilson's vocals are what made that song a huge hit for the Boys.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2017, 10:16:28 AM »

Listen to John Phillips' demo recording, the song itself is OK but pretty bland in terms of just songwriting (to be fair, the original chorus wasn't half as interesting as the one on the BB version). I agree that the exotic percussion and Carl's singing made it what it is.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx