gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:55:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wild Honey LP Reissue in STEREO - 2017  (Read 15011 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »

Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 03:22:50 PM »

Will the same stereo mixes be used that were featured on Made In California or did they remix them from scratch?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 07:43:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure that "Wild Honey" is the only 2012 MIC mix.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 09:06:35 PM »

I will be buying this. Wild Honey and Sunflower are my 2 favorite BB's albums, such happy music - a depressed soul like me needs all the happiness he can find.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 10:17:14 PM »

I will be buying this. Wild Honey and Sunflower are my 2 favorite BB's albums, such happy music - a depressed soul like me needs all the happiness he can find.

You and me both !

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2017, 02:20:17 AM »

I thought that a stereo mix of Wild Honey was impossible because of missing tapes?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2017, 05:52:53 AM »

My understanding is that there are missing tapes and/or overdubs added directly to the mono mix with the following songs:

Aren't You Glad
I'd Love Just Once to See You
How She Boogalooed It
Mama Says

C-man knows the details I'm sure - he's said that a good stereo mix of Aren't You Glad could be made although elements would be missing.  The alternative to making stereo mixes with missing overdubs is to do "extraction" mixes as they did with songs on Today and Summer Days (and with Good Vibrations).  The rest of the songs have either been mixed to stereo by Mark or appeared in stereo on Sea of Tunes Unsurpassed Masters boots or in the case of I Was Born to Love Her  on the vinyl Beach Boys rarities (and Japanese CD of the same).
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2017, 08:53:41 AM »

Interesting, thanks!
Howie, do you know (and are in position to share info about) if there will also be bonustracks that give a view into the sessions? On the SOT bootlegs we have some stuff and something like that in a nicely done way would be just great imo. Maybe some acapella-mixes and some backing tracks, along of course with live versions.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 02:22:46 AM »

It's tragic that Brian can't hear the new stereo versions of his music, these incredible labours of love.

Still, who knows what medical technology may accomplish...

Just a thought.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 06:34:06 AM »

My understanding is that there are missing tapes and/or overdubs added directly to the mono mix with the following songs:

Aren't You Glad
I'd Love Just Once to See You
How She Boogalooed It
Mama Says

C-man knows the details I'm sure - he's said that a good stereo mix of Aren't You Glad could be made although elements would be missing.  The alternative to making stereo mixes with missing overdubs is to do "extraction" mixes as they did with songs on Today and Summer Days (and with Good Vibrations).  The rest of the songs have either been mixed to stereo by Mark or appeared in stereo on Sea of Tunes Unsurpassed Masters boots or in the case of I Was Born to Love Her  on the vinyl Beach Boys rarities (and Japanese CD of the same).

Isn't the organ solo on "Wild Honey" also missing from the multi-track? I recall it isn't on the "session tapes" floating around, and it sounds like it may have been flown in to the 2012 stereo mix from the mono mix. Similarly, aren't there little tiny bits of "Darlin'" missing on the multi-track as well? I recall a quick vocal line or two missing on that stereo remix. But my memory could be failing on all of that, I haven't visited this material in detail in quite some time.

Which is all fine, by the way. Stereo mixes that are slight "underdubs" or utilize a bit of "extraction" material are fine. The WH remixes we've heard so far do breathe a lot of life into the recordings.

Definitely hoping we get a nice set with some outtakes/alternate mixes, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
kasam7
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2017, 11:58:38 AM »

Will this be available in cd as well as a lp
Thanks
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2017, 01:27:52 PM »

Will this be available in cd as well as a lp
Thanks

There has been no official announcement, so we don't know as of yet.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2017, 01:31:48 PM »

Isn't the organ solo on "Wild Honey" also missing from the multi-track? I recall it isn't on the "session tapes" floating around, and it sounds like it may have been flown in to the 2012 stereo mix from the mono mix.

I gave tracks 21-25 of UM #19 a listen this afternoon.

The basic track (#21) includes the initial sforzando chord of the solo (on the one) and the complete second half. The first "instrumental insert" (#23) doesn't affect the organ solo but the second insert (#25) adds the swirly bit after the initial chord and a second, abandoned version of the second half of the solo (heard simultaneously with the first version).

I don't know if any of this answers your question. Smokin   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 06:34:25 AM »

Interesting, thanks!
Howie, do you know (and are in position to share info about) if there will also be bonustracks that give a view into the sessions? On the SOT bootlegs we have some stuff and something like that in a nicely done way would be just great imo. Maybe some acapella-mixes and some backing tracks, along of course with live versions.

I wonder if the exhausting vocal sessions for the abandoned bridge of "IWMTLH" will be on it. 

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2017, 07:42:15 AM »

Interesting, thanks!

I wonder if the exhausting vocal sessions for the abandoned bridge of "IWMTLH" will be on it. 

That's the best part of the song! A cruel fate that it was cut. Let's hope so!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 09:43:58 AM »

Interesting, thanks!

That's the best part of the song! A cruel fate that it was cut. Let's hope so!

That's a cool part indeed!

On my own "Wild Honey"- deluxe edition I wanted to include some special mixes. One I didn't have to make myself is a version of Brian's piano track combined with Carl's lead vocal. So in the end you have only Carl's voice and Brian's piano. It's great and really interesting imo to understand what a cool lead vocal Carl delivered. Unfortunately that mix isn't on youtube anymore. But something like that would definitely be a nice bonus.

- Jack Rieley
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2017, 01:11:51 AM »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1967-Sunshine-Tomorrow-Beach-Boys/dp/B0714CTY2P/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1498551066&sr=1-1&keywords=1967+-+sunshine+tomorrow

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2017, 01:25:54 AM »

Is it me and my cruddy browser, john, or are there no preview files on that Amazon page? I can't see any...

Not that, you know, I'm going to listen to any 30-second previews, or anything... [cue the sound of Matt's will to resist creaking under the strain]
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2017, 04:01:46 AM »

Is it me and my cruddy browser, john, or are there no preview files on that Amazon page? I can't see any...

Not that, you know, I'm going to listen to any 30-second previews, or anything... [cue the sound of Matt's will to resist creaking under the strain]

Haha. I don't see them either, not here or on the US Amazon page...

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2017, 10:31:32 AM »

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere but can't find it.

How does the stereo vinyl sound? nice pressing? any issues?

Might pick it up at the local this weekend.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »

I just went to my retailer's website.

It says: Wild Honey 50th Anniversary re-release, LP, Stereo Mix, date of release: June 30, 2017, available within 4 days after ordering (which means that it's not an import).

It is highly unlikely that anything of this is not true (they're very accurate). And it's some 8 weeks ago, already. I'll drop by there tomorrow and ask how it is.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2017, 12:39:54 PM »

Sorry to see that Matt has (seemingly) left us. He had some cool and very human things to say.

Whatever the reason, go well, sir.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2017, 12:37:38 AM »

I just went to my retailer's website.

It says: Wild Honey 50th Anniversary re-release, LP, Stereo Mix, date of release: June 30, 2017, available within 4 days after ordering (which means that it's not an import).

It is highly unlikely that anything of this is not true (they're very accurate). And it's some 8 weeks ago, already. I'll drop by there tomorrow and ask how it is.

Thanks Don. Found a few people on the Hoffman board that seem happy with it though a few complaining about an EU pressing (made in the Netherlands). The EU pressing is presumably the one my local has though will need to check again.

Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2017, 01:51:09 AM »

Found a few people on the Hoffman board that seem happy

Shocked
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2017, 02:54:48 AM »

Found a few people on the Hoffman board that seem happy

Shocked