gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:28:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wild Honey LP Reissue in STEREO - 2017  (Read 15008 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2017, 10:35:01 AM »

I don't know anything about this but here's a link from a German website.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/the-beach-boys-wild-honey/hnum/6893318

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 11:09:45 AM »

Howie Edelson alluded to a "Wild Honey" project coming out this year that would be quite exciting. Perhaps this is part of it.

I would assume/hope there is more to the whole project than just a stereo remix, but if they did some sort of larger set, I could envision them also releasing a stereo remix on its own as well.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 11:26:02 AM »

Mama Says won't be in stereo?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 11:48:09 AM »

Mama Says won't be in stereo?

Probably just a transcription error from the website. I see them often, especially when for no particular reason *every* track has to have a notation like that.

Weird, early, pre-announcement listings not originating from Capitol US like this are usually not the most reliable.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 01:15:09 PM »

If you click on Mitwirkende (Contributors) you get the following entertaining information.
Mike is listed twice (actually three times, and Brian, Carl and Bruce twice). No mention of Dennis.
The Boys co-produced a film with Boyd and Linett and Stevie Wonder was the only one to be born. 

Henry Cosby Komponist
Mike Love Komponist, Solist
Alan Jardine Komponist
Michael Edward Love Komponist
Brian Wilson Komponist, Solist
Lulu Mae Hardaway Komponist
Bruce Johnston Komponist
The Beach Boys Produzent (Film), Solist
Sylvia Rose Moy Komponist
Stevie Wonder (geb. 1950) Komponist
Mark Linett Produzent (Film)
Alan Boyd Produzent (Film)
Carl Wilson Solist
Bruce Johnston Solist

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 01:47:52 PM »

Wonder what the reference to film means.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 11:55:06 PM »

Time for a Wild Honey 50th anniversary box set!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 12:18:13 AM »

GREAT NEWS - can't wait!!!!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 06:20:02 AM »

I'm guessing this is a mixture of imperfect translation to English, and also probably a reference to Boyd having done the "Endless Harmony" film with the Beach Boys and that being one of his first BB-related projects (though he did also do "Nashville Sounds" as well prior to that).

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 11:26:59 AM »

I'd buy that!
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 01:06:50 AM »

I'd buy that!

Same!
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 02:20:19 AM »

Film auf Deutsch can also mean the physical tape.  Or, like English, the stuff you load into your 35mm camera.  In this case it might refer to producers of the analog reel, which might translate as "der Kassettenfilm".  Although I learned that as "die Tonaufnahme".  Maybe there is a German around here to give a better answer.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 04:04:15 AM »

This is great news because this wonderful album will get some attention.

I never thought Wild Honey needs improvement in terms of sound, I like its back-to-basics rock feel and its somewhat muffled sound. Will check this out anyway. Smiley
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 05:44:35 AM »

After hearing the new stereo mix, I can't see how anybody would go back to the mono.
Brilliant, like walking into a painting. 3D.
There's so much there on the mono that the ear misses. With the stereo mix, you keep saying, "Wow, there's a HORN part under that? There's a harmony?"

It sounds incredible.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:45:17 AM by Howie Edelson » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 06:46:02 AM »

After hearing the new stereo mix, I can't see how anybody would go back to the mono.
There's so much there on the mono that the ear misses. With the stereo mix, you keep saying, "Wow, there's a HORN part under that? There's a harmony?"

It sounds incredible.

This is exactly what I was hoping for! I really wonder if this will be a Pet Sounds-esque revelation for some people (like the first Pet Sounds mix was for so many). 'Darlin' on the MiC set has this exact 3D feel to it, I can't wait to hear the whole album like that.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 08:08:11 AM »

It sounds incredible.

Can't wait for that!
For about one or two years I try to compile my own Wild Honey deluxe edition. Outtakes, live performances, stereo mixes, backing tracks and some extras; you get it. I wonder if that will be obsolete now.  Cheesy
Among other things, I never got around to finish it because I couldn't find a specific picture I wanted to use in bigger size.

Film auf Deutsch can also mean the physical tape.  Or, like English, the stuff you load into your 35mm camera.  In this case it might refer to producers of the analog reel, which might translate as "der Kassettenfilm".  Although I learned that as "die Tonaufnahme".  Maybe there is a German around here to give a better answer.

Here is one
"die Tonaufnahme" would be "the recording". "the tape"  as you said can be translated to the "Kassettenfilm" or just "Film". The latter can mean "the stuff you load into your 35mm camera" or also a film (like: movie). So there seems to be the clue. If something is translated to german as "Film", it could originally just be "tape". So unless we have more information I'd strongly doubt that there is a movie/documentary. Although they might be doing a mini-documentary as it was done for the Beatles re-releases. But let's wait for more info.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:11:53 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 08:25:54 AM »

So looking forward to this.

Is it safe to assume that the release of this album was delayed, compared to the rest of the reissues, due to difficulty in locating all of the elements? And are any of these extraction mixes, or are they all through stereo mixes with all the tapes accounted for?
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 08:44:04 AM »

No extraction mixes (a la "Help Me, Rhonda"). The one standout that comes to mind is that in "How She Boogalooed It" the instrumental portion couldn't be reconstructed in stereo, so for however many bars that organ solo is, it slides seamlessly into mono and back out into stereo. Seamless. Beautiful.

I seriously wonder how much better the LP would've done in the new age of FM radio sounding THIS GOOD in stereo had this mix -- which is VERY faithful to the mono mix (albeit in 3D) -- been what was originally released.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:44:34 AM by Howie Edelson » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »

No extraction mixes (a la "Help Me, Rhonda"). The one standout that comes to mind is that in "How She Boogalooed It" the instrumental portion couldn't be reconstructed in stereo, so for however many bars that organ solo is, it slides seamlessly into mono and back out into stereo. Seamless. Beautiful.

I seriously wonder how much better the LP would've done in the new age of FM radio sounding THIS GOOD in stereo had this mix -- which is VERY faithful to the mono mix (albeit in 3D) -- been what was originally released.

Awesome, I am really stoked on this! I too am a huge fan of stereo remixes when they are done right.

Maybe the new mix of How She Boogalooed It can be on the inevitable reboot of Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 06:32:32 AM »

Thank you for the answers, HeyJ., KidP. and Rocker.  I've got my cash waiting for Wild Honey with film or not.

My biggest wish is "On Blu-ray" audio.  A set of live songs would also be nice.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:37:11 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 08:59:55 AM »

I'm glad to see Wild Honey getting so much attention from Capitol and the group this year, it's definitely an underappreciated LP that deserves much more recognition!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 09:34:30 AM »

I'm glad to see Wild Honey getting so much attention from Capitol and the group this year, it's definitely an underappreciated LP that deserves much more recognition!

It has a certain cult-following. I think among some indie bands hold it in high regard. And hasn't it been said that it was one of Jim Morrison's favorite albums? A couple of years ago some music magazine (could be the Rolling Stone but I'm not sure) had it quite high in their best summer albums list. Strange how everything related to the Beach Boys gets connected to sunshine etc.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 01:02:03 PM »

Was at the Sgt. Pepper listening session yesterday with Giles Martin and Jeff Jones. Multiple A/B-ing, outtakes and the entire new Pepper mix was played.
Martin's gist is that they essentially used the mono mix as a template to create the new stereo mix -- which is precisely what was done for the new Wild Honey project.

Having heard them both, and following the brief that both remixes share, I can honestly say although Pepper sounds INCREDIBLE -- Wild Honey has it beat.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 01:21:37 PM »

I can honestly say although Pepper sounds INCREDIBLE -- Wild Honey has it beat.

The news just gets better and better! Roll Eyes

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 01:25:28 PM »

Can't wait!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx