gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:11:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jan and Dean's Carnival of Sound-I'm confused  (Read 10398 times)
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2017, 01:29:54 PM »

Just intensely read your details on Jan's accident. Wow! Lots of info I never knew, such as Jan's car hitting the curb first and then going out of control. I knew about stupid writers saying three people died in Jan's car, always made me angry.

Yeah, myths and misinformation about Jan's car accident have been perpetuated for years.

It's all from a poorly-worded article in the Times, yes?  Something along the lines of "Singer injured, three others killed in LA accidents" - people not noticing the plural.  I'm paraphrasing.

Yes, and the location of the accident was misreported for decades.

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2017, 03:17:26 PM »

That's so exciting! I can't wait! I think people being able to analyze Jan's charts will make them realize what a genius he was.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:18:11 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 07:42:28 PM »

Hey, Mark,  the detailed info you provided above prompted me to get your Jan and Dean book on Amazon Kindle (Canadian version). The price keeps changing-mostly $40, then at one time $90 or so, then back to $40, then $43 yesterday and $31 today. Just downloaded it now. Looking forward to the read!

The price of the book is outrageous. I'm currently writing a biography of Jan Berry that will be published early next year. It will be more affordable than the reference book.
Well, last I saw on American Amazon Kindle, it was $23, so that's not too bad, at least for a download.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 11:37:15 PM »

Hey Mark, I payed $80 for the book, which I was HAPPY to do!! I read the book everyday! I have learned so much from it. It is both fun and informational. After you do Jan's biography, what do you think about releasing Jan's charts, if you had permission? There are so many J&D songs I'd love to play, but most of the chords and such on the internet are inaccurate.

Check out the Jan and Dean message board for my post with the chords to the song "Hawaii".  One of my favorites.  I think I've got it, but welcome any corrections.

http://jananddean-janberry.com/boards/index.php?topic=994.0
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 09:41:55 PM »

Mark, I have a few questions that have been kinda bugging me about this whole Carnival of Sound saga. If you took the time to answer, I would greatly appreciate it!

Anyways, first off, why was the decision made not to include the version of "Louisiana Man" with Dean on lead? I know that though it was started by Jan (and later finished in his own version with Ron Hicklin on lead), Dean did add a lead vocal and complete a version, which was then released as the b-side for "Like a Summer Rain." I don't see a nice new Jan & Dean hits package even coming out soon, much less a rarities or b-sides release, so it seems like Carnival of Sound would've been the place to put Dean's finished "Louisiana Man," whether as track in the album order, or at least as a bonus.

After the accident, Jan retrieved his masters from Columbia Square to continue working on them. Dean had also gone there to do the same thing, but soon found out that he did not have the legal authority to do so. All of Dean’s self-released J&D Record Co. singles and Save For A Rainy Day album (JD101 mono) were shut down by Screen Gems for breach of contract. They killed the singles and the album was dead on arrival. That’s why they never saw distribution.

I guess I kinda worded my question a bit weirdly. What I really meant to ask is why didn't Dean's version of "Louisiana Man" warrant inclusion as a bonus track on the Carnival of Sound set? As I said, very rarely is there ever a new even semi-high profile Jan and Dean release, and it woulda made sense to get this previously released track collected on a digital release.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 10:37:25 PM »

I guess I kinda worded my question a bit weirdly. What I really meant to ask is why didn't Dean's version of "Louisiana Man" warrant inclusion as a bonus track on the Carnival of Sound set? As I said, very rarely is there ever a new even semi-high profile Jan and Dean release, and it woulda made sense to get this previously released track collected on a digital release.

The idea with the Carnival of Sound archival release was to stick with material that was actually part of the sessions that generated the tracks that would have been included on the album.

Dean's recordings were illicit and wholly separate, and had nothing to do with Carnival. Dean used Jan's pre-accident track for "Louisiana Man" without permission and in violation of the contracts with Screen Gems. It would have been inappropriate to include it on the Rhino Handmade release documenting Carnival of Sound.

That said, I'm hoping we'll get to do a Jan & Dean box set soon.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:00:44 AM by Mark A. Moore » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2017, 11:08:42 AM »

That said, I'm hoping we'll get to do a Jan & Dean box set soon.

That would be great news!
I posted an idea for a box set on the Jan messageboard a couple of months back. I re-post it here just for fun:

One CD has to focus on the hits of course, maybe including some lesser known stuff from the early stage. All in their original mono mixes. And some studio dialogues etc. to show Jan (and Dean) working with the musicians.

Another CD could feature new stereo mixes and interesting backing tracks, acapella mixes and - if possible - recordings of just the orchestration of certain songs (like for example the string parts of "Ride the wild surf").

CD 3 could be dedicated to live performances. Mark just mentioned a couple of weeks back on the Smiley Smile messageboard the November '65 San Diego show (partly seen in "On the run") and the Hullabaloo Night Club recordings (later found on Filet Of Soul) that imo were perfect candidates for this. Maybe even something like the '63 Hollywood Bowl performance ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxC9egTxPoc ).

On CD 4 you could have the original "Filet Of Soul" if it was ever finished or, if not, selected parts of it, including the one side on Dean's anthology. Added to that the original Batman & Robin monologues could find a place here.

CD 5 I'd love to feature the recordings that show Dean's work while Jan was in the hospital plus Jan's work after he was out of hospital. That means all the originally released singles like "Summertime, summertime" (which I really don't like) and "California lullaby", Dean's version of "Louisiana man", certain highlights from "Save for a rainy day" and "Vege-tables". Then of course the originally released songs from the "Carnival of sound" project.
Added to that some of the best stuff from later years by both guys. "How, how I love her", "Don't you just know it" (Brian Wilson's name will surely make for some more attention for this set), "Mother earth" etc. (I don't know if there is also some stuff from Dean).

Apart from an essay by Mark Moore the booklet could include memorabilia, maybe even a facsimile of a arrangement chart written by Jan. If there are good interviews of Jan and Dean maybe those could be printed. Or some radio interviews from the 60s (if there exist some useful ones) could be put onto one of the first CDs on this boxset.

Give that set a cool title (unfortunatley "Gotta take that one last ride" has been taken already) and hope that Dean can come up with a similar fantastic design as he did for "Carnival of sound"
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:09:14 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2017, 11:45:37 PM »

That sounds like a killer set, Rocker. Count me in for a "virtual" pre-order for a set that doesn't even exist yet.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2017, 11:24:12 AM »

Almost finished Mark's book. Biggest revelation— Jan had four car accidents after his 1966 crash, but at least he wasn't injured.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx