gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:33:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love "Wild Honey Tour" in Europe  (Read 56857 times)
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 12, 2017, 05:08:54 PM »

MY CONCERT WAS AWESOME!!!

Getcha Back new version sounded very well.

Huh...Has Mike done a remake on that as well?  Shocked
He Changed one line in second versed and changed the Coda (I'll Be There) to a new Verse
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 17, 2017, 11:52:27 AM »

So, this is totally off topic, but I just saw a date announced in Hiawassee, GA for Dec 1st. What point in the year has Mike been breaking out the mini Christmas set? I'd be more interested to see that than the meat and potatoes set thqt Hiawassee would usually get.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 17, 2017, 12:00:51 PM »

thatjacob, do you know what venue M&B are playing in Haiwassee -- is it the GA. Mountain Fair venue?
KDS
« Reply #178 on: July 17, 2017, 12:09:21 PM »

So, this is totally off topic, but I just saw a date announced in Hiawassee, GA for Dec 1st. What point in the year has Mike been breaking out the mini Christmas set? I'd be more interested to see that than the meat and potatoes set thqt Hiawassee would usually get.

I keep hoping they come to my neck of the woods one December. 
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 17, 2017, 12:30:06 PM »

thatjacob, do you know what venue M&B are playing in Haiwassee -- is it the GA. Mountain Fair venue?
It is, but isn't during the fair.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 17, 2017, 03:18:16 PM »

The last time M&B played up there, it was at the Anderson Music Hall.

I'm trying to get accurate venue info for the BBFC tour dates listings.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:18:54 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 17, 2017, 03:53:55 PM »

The last time M&B played up there, it was at the Anderson Music Hall.

I'm trying to get accurate venue info for the BBFC tour dates listings.
It's at Anderson Music Hall again. That's the only venue in Hiawassee over 300 capacity. I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's not fully confirmed yet, since it's only included on one picture of upcoming dates on their facebook. No ticket prices/info yet.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2017, 10:15:23 PM »

Still no ticket info on the venue's website, but exploregeorgia.org is listing the show as being $57, fees included. I told myself that I was done seeing any BB's related bands, but that's reasonably priced.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2017, 03:52:00 PM »

I saw Mike and Bruce at the OC PAC last night....total meat & potatoes show, but not a bad one at all. I was expecting more as it was a lovely venue...but it was also their tenth show in seven days, and their second that day...so I get it. The only "surprises" were "You're So Good To Me" and "Cotton Fields"...I wasn't necessarily counting on either of them...Cowsill was excellent on the latter. Mike and Bruce seemed to be a little weak in voice both when speaking and singing, but again, I think that was part of the overloaded week they had...and it isn't even over yet for them! The band was on fire as always. This was my first show with Randy Leago on woodwinds and he brings a lot to the lineup. The crowd was the standard bunch of old farts frozen in their chairs, except for the two times they were prompted by Randy to rise... except for the token party of middle-aged half-lit women of course. By the way, we had front row seats and it was like a private concert...I'll explain some observations...

First of all, Scott Totten and John Cowsill keep this whole thing alive. The rest of the band are excellent members and do their part...Mike and Bruce rely on a lot more cues from Scott than I had noticed before...even on things like "Little Deuce Coupe"...which I wouldn't expect considering it hasn't left the setlist since the mid-70's. But on the other hand, this band has a LOT of fun together. It was great to watch them do what they do and have fun teasing each other the whole way through, most of which happened during "Do it Again". They're piping in McGrath's vocals and Mike had a horrible time remembering when he should and shouldn't sing. It was beyond comical. It was also atrocious to hear his vocals.....

But I'm not here to rag on Mike, really. Say what you will about his personal life choices but on stage, the man is a master showman and entertainer. We had lots of interaction, as did everyone within at least the first five rows of the stage. He was also kind enough to sign my copy of his book that I brought to the show after they took their final bow AND he had the soundman give me a setlist off the stage too, which I was lucky enough to receive at a previous show as well. Of all the shows I've been to and all the interactions I've had with Mike, he has been nothing but kind and always puts the fans first.

That being said...after years of defense, I finally experienced Dr. Bruce Johnston and Mr. Hyde. Bruce was his happy old self onstage and even struck up a conversation with me about Mike's book after Mike signed it! I couldn't really hear him well because the room was loud, but he was laughing and smiling and saying how great it was! Now, my other goal of the evening, was to add John Cowsill's signature to his siblings photo I received at the Happy Together tour this summer. I waited by the front of the stage but he was disassembling his own drum kit way on the back of the stage and I was not going to interrupt him so I went out front and waited a bit, then went to the stage door thinking he may be finished and coming out soon. One of their crew members was there and I asked him if he had left, he said he'd go grab him for me. I waited all of about five minutes and many of the other band members passed by. I thanked them for a great show and they were all very cordial...then came Bruce. I said "Hey Bruce-" and was interrupted by a stern, cold stare and "NOT GONNA HAPPEN" barked at me. I suppose he saw the Cowsill photo and pen, and assumed I was going to ask for an autograph. I kindly said No thank you, I'm waiting for Mr. Cowsill, to which he graveled a snarky "well all RIGHT then Mr. MANNN" and hopped on the bus.......SO bizarre. The man who was just chumming with me from stage over the book maybe twenty minutes prior, was shooing me away like a peasant...and then mocking me. Regardless, Cowsill was great to meet...I asked him if he gets to sing with the family band anymore and he said of course not because of the grueling schedule, but just as he was saying that Mike came out and Cowsill shouts "BECAUSE OF HIM!"...Mike was thoroughly confused.  LOL I thanked Mike again for signing my book and said goodnight, he wished me good night as well and hopped on the bus. I also asked Cowsill why no "Wild Honey" tonight on the Wild Honey tour...apparently Mike doesn't think it's suitable for these sorts of venues...oh well.

My very, very long story short......it was a GREAT concert with possibly the best seat in the house, two great autographs, and a lovely trip to the beach on top of it all. That being said...I think I might be calling it quits for Mike and Bruce. I've heard almost all the songs, definitely heard all the stories, got tons of great photos, t-shirts, autographs and of above all, memories... and well...Bruce really pissed me off. I've always treated him with respect whenever he was kind to me in the past, and suddenly I was a second class citizen.  I still highly recommend the show to those that haven't seen it. You need to go in expecting the best Beach Boys tribute band in the world, featuring former front man Mike Love, and side man Bruce Johnston. The band really makes the show when you focus on them.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2017, 07:44:35 PM »

Scott has breathed an incredible amount of life into that organization. He absolutely cares about the music. Mike goes along with him because he respects him but I think he would be just as happy pounding out 25 hits  and early 60s songs and calling it a night after 90 minutes like the early 90s.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2017, 09:19:16 PM »

Sorry about the experience with Bruce Sad No defense for bad behavior but the band was in a rush so that they could go to Glenn Campbell's funeral so perhaps that added to the stress (just a guess) and I agree about Scott, he has done a amazing job! I agree with the setlist thing too. I've seen Mike and Bruce 18 times now (Brian and Al about 10). Brian and Al it's different every time even though after 6 Pet Sounds shows I think I'm sick of that set too. But Mike and Bruce really need to change it up don't call it the Wild Honey tour and then cut Aren't You Glad before you hit the U.S. and Wild Honey at every show that's a greatist hits spectacular. Obviously the setlist argument can be made for both touring factions but Mike and Bruce especially. I don't need to hear Why Do Fools Fall In Love at every concert for the last 10 years and my God if I hear Pisces Brothers one more time, even Cool Head Warm Heart would be better. Now I get it I've seen them a million times and have no right to complain really and I recommend both groups to anyone who hasn't seen them but please change it up. Even a change in Car songs Cherry Cherry Coupe? Car Crazy Cutie? Custom Machine? Would anyone really be that upset if Scott sang one of those instead of Betsy? (Which he does a hell of a job on I might say) Just some suggestions but either way Scott deserves one million percent of the credit!!! Alright I'm done 🙃
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:27:36 PM by baseball95 » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 25, 2017, 07:18:19 AM »

Thanks...that's the way it goes. If he really didn't want to sign anything (and I wasn't even asking to sign anything!) he should have just taken ten more steps and gotten on the bus peacefully, instead of going out of his way to create this confrontational BS. If I had been faced with silence, I would have just figured he was exhausted, off-stage, and not up to talking...totally cool.

Anyway, technically I had never heard Mike and Bruce do "Cotton Fields" with Cowsill on lead, but I heard it on C50 and nearly every time I've seen Al as well, but Cowsill gave it a great lead too, just an unusual selection. Other than that, I had heard all of these songs many, many times. The energy is still there but what enhances the repetitious tunes, is a shake up in the deeper cuts of which there simply were none...short show, long tour, I get it...I guess I should have seen it coming.

But you do raise a good point in that, a lot of the...we'll call them "second tier" songs could be shifted with no audience backlash. The opening surf songs can be in constant flux minus 'safari' and 'usa'...same with the car songs except "I Get Around". Of course, the standard three PS tunes have to stay, plus California Girls, and once they reach the point of about "Help Me Rhonda" it's pretty much set in stone from there out...but the point is, there is a LOT of room for fluctuation inbetween there that casual fans wouldn't care one way or the other about, and hardcore fans like us would appreciate.

Maybe my rant is over now.  LOL
KDS
« Reply #187 on: August 25, 2017, 07:31:12 AM »

Thanks...that's the way it goes. If he really didn't want to sign anything (and I wasn't even asking to sign anything!) he should have just taken ten more steps and gotten on the bus peacefully, instead of going out of his way to create this confrontational BS. If I had been faced with silence, I would have just figured he was exhausted, off-stage, and not up to talking...totally cool.

Anyway, technically I had never heard Mike and Bruce do "Cotton Fields" with Cowsill on lead, but I heard it on C50 and nearly every time I've seen Al as well, but Cowsill gave it a great lead too, just an unusual selection. Other than that, I had heard all of these songs many, many times. The energy is still there but what enhances the repetitious tunes, is a shake up in the deeper cuts of which there simply were none...short show, long tour, I get it...I guess I should have seen it coming.

But you do raise a good point in that, a lot of the...we'll call them "second tier" songs could be shifted with no audience backlash. The opening surf songs can be in constant flux minus 'safari' and 'usa'...same with the car songs except "I Get Around". Of course, the standard three PS tunes have to stay, plus California Girls, and once they reach the point of about "Help Me Rhonda" it's pretty much set in stone from there out...but the point is, there is a LOT of room for fluctuation inbetween there that casual fans wouldn't care one way or the other about, and hardcore fans like us would appreciate.

Maybe my rant is over now.  LOL

I figured the sets would be fairly short (if 32 songs is short) with them doing two shows that night in OC.   Next time they play there, I'd really like to go (seeing The Beach Boys at the beach).  According to setlist.fm, the set at Wolf Trap this past Sunday was pretty similar. 
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2017, 10:09:59 AM »

I saw M&B for the 4th time last week. It was the night after the Beacon show in which they did "All I Wanna Do", "I'm Waiting For The Day" etc. I was hoping i'd get that setlist, but hey, I'm a dreamer. It was still pretty good though. A little under 40 songs with at least a few non-hits like Good To My Baby, Kiss Me Baby etc.

Some thoughts:

Positive!

-Scott T and John C are rockstars.
-I've never heard Jeff sound better
-The sound was the fullest I've heard from the M&B band
-Mike sounded like Mike. To be fair, when Brian sounds good, he doesn't sound like Brian anymore. (That's not a knock. I would literally die for Brian Wilson.)
-As a straight twenty something male, Bruce singing Disney Girls makes me melt every time.

Other thoughts!

-Please retire Pisces Brothers. Please. For the love of God, please.
-Please retire Summer In Paradise. Please
-California Dreamin'. Every time I hear them play it, I'm always thinking, "guys, this will NEVER be your song", and I even thought that during C50.
-Getcha Back - use the original lyrics.
-Could do without Why Do Fools and Then I Kissed Her.
-Mike using McGrath's Do It Again vocals. Why is he so proud of this?
-If you call it the Wild Honey tour, you need to do more than the two singles from Wild Honey.

Here's a dream (but within reason, I think) setlist for the M&B band that would please both the average and hardcore fan.

The Beach Boys
Wild Honey Tour 2017

Set 1

Surfin’ Safari
Catch A Wave
Little Honda
It’s OK
Hawaii
Do It Again

Wendy (Bruce on bridges)
Surfer Girl

When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
Kiss Me Baby
Please Let Me Wonder (Bruce)

Darlin' (Jeff)
Aren’t You Glad
Here Comes The Night (Brian E?)
Country Air
Wild Honey (John C)

In My Room
Dance, Dance Dance

Be True To Your School

The Warmth of The Sun (Scott T)
Don’t Worry Baby (Jeff)

Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Set 2

California Girls
You’re So Good To Me (Bruce)
Let Him Run Wild (Scott T)

Sloop John B
I’m Waiting For The Day
Here Today
Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Jeff)
God Only Knows (Carl)

Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring
All I Wanna Do
I Can Hear Music (Brian E)

Disney Girls (Bruce)
Heroes & Villains (John C)

Do You Wanna Dance (Dennis)
Help Me Rhonda
Kokomo
Good Vibrations

Encore:

Surfin’ USA
Barbara Ann
Fun Fun Fun

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:19:59 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
KDS
« Reply #189 on: August 25, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »

I do wish that All I Wanna Do would remain in the setlists permanently.  It's frustrating to see it pop up from time to time at some shows only to disappear, then reappear seemingly at random (sometimes as RubberSoul mentioned disappearing from the setlist they were supposed to play on a certain winter night in Baltimore). 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 25, 2017, 12:17:03 PM »

I do wish that All I Wanna Do would remain in the setlists permanently.  It's frustrating to see it pop up from time to time at some shows only to disappear, then reappear seemingly at random (sometimes as RubberSoul mentioned disappearing from the setlist they were supposed to play on a certain winter night in Baltimore). 

They didn't do it in Rotterdam. That really would have been the icing on the cake...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 25, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »

I saw M&B for the 4th time last week. It was the night after the Beacon show in which they did "All I Wanna Do", "I'm Waiting For The Day" etc. I was hoping i'd get that setlist, but hey, I'm a dreamer. It was still pretty good though. A little under 40 songs with at least a few non-hits like Good To My Baby, Kiss Me Baby etc.

Some thoughts:

Positive!

-Mike sounded like Mike. To be fair, when Brian sounds good, he doesn't sound like Brian anymore. (That's not a knock. I would literally die for Brian Wilson.)
-As a straight twenty something male, Bruce singing Disney Girls makes me melt every time.

Other thoughts!

-California Dreamin'. Every time I hear them play it, I'm always thinking, "guys, this will NEVER be your song", and I even thought that during C50.
-If you call it the Wild Honey tour, you need to do more than the two singles from Wild Honey.

Here's a dream (but within reason, I think) setlist for the M&B band that would please both the average and hardcore fan.

The Beach Boys
Wild Honey Tour 2017

Set 1

Surfin’ Safari
Catch A Wave
Little Honda
It’s OK
Hawaii
Do It Again

Wendy (Bruce on bridges)
Surfer Girl

Kiss Me Baby

Darlin' (Jeff)
Aren’t You Glad
Country Air
Wild Honey (John C)

In My Room
Dance, Dance Dance

Be True To Your School

Don’t Worry Baby (Jeff)

Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Set 2

California Girls

Sloop John B
I’m Waiting For The Day
Here Today
God Only Knows (Carl)

All I Wanna Do

Disney Girls (Bruce)

Help Me Rhonda
Kokomo
Good Vibrations

Encore:

Surfin’ USA
Barbara Ann
Fun Fun Fun

Heck I'd take that and that's without adding anything they haven't played recently outside the Wild Honey tracks.
Honestly I'd see them 10 more times if I knew without a doubt they'd play All I Wanna Do every time, that's how much I love that song.
KDS
« Reply #192 on: August 25, 2017, 01:39:15 PM »

Some thoughts:

Positive!

Other thoughts!

The Beach Boys
Wild Honey Tour 2017

Set 1

Surfin’ Safari
Catch A Wave
Little Honda
It’s OK
Hawaii
Do It Again

Wendy (Bruce on bridges)
Surfer Girl

Kiss Me Baby

Darlin' (Jeff)
Aren’t You Glad
Country Air
Wild Honey (John C)

In My Room
Dance, Dance Dance

Be True To Your School

Don’t Worry Baby (Jeff)

Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Set 2

California Girls

Sloop John B
I’m Waiting For The Day
Here Today
God Only Knows (Carl)

All I Wanna Do

Disney Girls (Bruce)

Help Me Rhonda
Kokomo
Good Vibrations

Encore:

Surfin’ USA
Barbara Ann
Fun Fun Fun

Heck I'd take that and that's without adding anything they haven't played recently outside the Wild Honey tracks.
Honestly I'd see them 10 more times if I knew without a doubt they'd play All I Wanna Do every time, that's how much I love that song.

Same here.  I'm also kind of hoping for a nearby Christmastime show. 
MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 25, 2017, 01:46:27 PM »

Do Mike & The Boys still do All This Is That? I have a memory of seeing them in 2015 and hearing that but I could just be remembering the 2012 reunion shows.

baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 25, 2017, 07:53:53 PM »

Do Mike & The Boys still do All This Is That? I have a memory of seeing them in 2015 and hearing that but I could just be remembering the 2012 reunion shows.
It was a semi regular the last couple years but this year it's maybe been played only once or twice.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 25, 2017, 08:24:55 PM »

Some thoughts:

Positive!

Other thoughts!

The Beach Boys
Wild Honey Tour 2017

Set 1

Surfin’ Safari
Catch A Wave
Little Honda
It’s OK
Hawaii
Do It Again

Wendy (Bruce on bridges)
Surfer Girl

Kiss Me Baby

Darlin' (Jeff)
Aren’t You Glad
Country Air
Wild Honey (John C)

In My Room
Dance, Dance Dance

Be True To Your School

Don’t Worry Baby (Jeff)

Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Set 2

California Girls

Sloop John B
I’m Waiting For The Day
Here Today
God Only Knows (Carl)

All I Wanna Do

Disney Girls (Bruce)

Help Me Rhonda
Kokomo
Good Vibrations

Encore:

Surfin’ USA
Barbara Ann
Fun Fun Fun

Same here.  I'm also kind of hoping for a nearby Christmastime show. 

Man, now that is a killer setlist. BUT, it needs to be in the right venue. Also, I'd swap "Country Air" for "Let The Wind Blow" just so we could get another lead from Mike. Not knocking the band, but I'm very pro-original member leads as much as possible. They are, after all, the reason any of us started going in the first place.

What would truly be nice, is if whoever does their booking would book the blocks of tour dates at the same types of venues so if for example, the month of September they had twenty shows booked and they were all theatres, then you knew you could get a "deep cuts" set. And on the otherhand, if say they do thirty-five shows the month of July at state fairs, minor-league stadiums, resort cities, theme parks etc. ...it would be perfectly clear that those will all be the same meat and potatoes set.

When they bounce back and forth between the style of venue, you always wonder if a song might "spill over" from the night before...like the experience you had with the gig after The Beacon Theatre. You can look at the setlists that follow that show and slowly watch the album tracks fade out of the set.  LOL
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2017, 07:40:56 AM »

It was a semi regular the last couple years but this year it's maybe been played only once or twice.
They did All This Is That at the recent NYC Beacon gig. I was happy to hear it. Sounded great!

KDS
« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2017, 07:43:08 AM »

They seem to play it when they play theater shows. 

I've noticed when they play summer / outdoor shows, they tend to do a 32-35 song set, focusing on the greatest hits.  But, in theaters, they'll expand the set to 40-45 songs and throw in some more deep cuts. 
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2017, 10:07:34 AM »

In My Concert they do Pisces Brothers, Summer in Paradise, Ballad of Ole Betsy,  and Good To My Baby, THOSES ARE UNDERRATED
KDS
« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2017, 10:08:53 AM »

In My Concert they do Pisces Brothers, Summer in Paradise, Ballad of Ole Betsy,  and Good To My Baby, THOSES ARE UNDERRATED

I'm with you on three of those four.  I can't say I'm a fan of Pisces Brothers (though Scott Totten plays a nice solo). 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx