gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:02:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love "Wild Honey Tour" in Europe  (Read 56852 times)
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2017, 12:26:30 PM »

Obviously, nobody in *Mike's* band seems to have a problem with it.

It may be more the case that they have to pretend not to have a problem with it.  I'm sure that to high-calibre musicians it must be extremely annoying. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »

Especially Cowsii being kicked off drums....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2017, 02:47:51 PM »

If Cowsill's back and forth with Nelson Bragg a couple years ago is any indication, I don't think Cowsill is the guy to go to if you're looking to hear complaints about Stamos. That isn't to say defending Stamos against a specific allegation that you believe is false is the same thing as "never saying anything negative" about the guy. But I sense the "mood" on stage during C50 when Stamos was on stage was much different than when he joins Mike's tour. In the same vein, you see other on-stage shenanigans that are just more "shtick" that some people dig and some don't.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2017, 06:13:06 PM »

In the same vein, you see other on-stage shenanigans that are just more "shtick" that some people dig and some don't.

Are you talking about Nelson Bragg or John Stamos? That statement could be applied to both...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2017, 06:59:57 PM »

In the same vein, you see other on-stage shenanigans that are just more "shtick" that some people dig and some don't.

Are you talking about Nelson Bragg or John Stamos? That statement could be applied to both...

I was talking more about other people in Mike's band; stuff like having people in the audience come on stage and then strapping a guitar to them and then wrapping arms around them and playing the guitar. I don't think Bragg typically does stuff like that and I've never heard fans complain about Bragg's on stage activities.

I also don't think anyone in Brian's band engages in Stamos-style shenanigans, and part of three issue with Stamos is that it's a non-professional musician running around in stage just doing whatever he wants.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2017, 08:35:12 AM »

I was talking more about other people in Mike's band; stuff like having people in the audience come on stage and then strapping a guitar to them and then wrapping arms around them and playing the guitar. I don't think Bragg typically does stuff like that and I've never heard fans complain about Bragg's on stage activities.

I also don't think anyone in Brian's band engages in Stamos-style shenanigans, and part of three issue with Stamos is that it's a non-professional musician running around in stage just doing whatever he wants.

I agree, with few exceptions, that Barbara Ann is the most cringy part of any Beach Boys show. I'm sure it is a huge thrill for the handful of people that get to go up, but the thousands in the audience are subjected to poor singing and awkward interactions between the band and the fans.

I know Blondie Chaplin's stage theatrics have often been criticized, but I found his showmanship to be a highlight and completely appropriate as one of the featured guests. Other members of the band get the spotlight in a fully appropriate manner throughout the show (i.e. Al and Matt Jardine, Probyn, Paul, Darian, Nicky) for vocal and solo prowess.

However, I always cringe when Nelson takes his tambourine/cowbell "solo" on "Fun, Fun, Fun" and runs around on the stage like an idiot. It adds nothing to the performance of the song other than a "look at me" moment for, the aptly-named, Mr. Bragg.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2017, 08:50:29 AM »

I agree, with few exceptions, that Barbara Ann is the most cringy part of any Beach Boys show. I'm sure it is a huge thrill for the handful of people that get to go up, but the thousands in the audience are subjected to poor singing and awkward interactions between the band and the fans.

I know Blondie Chaplin's stage theatrics have often been criticized, but I found his showmanship to be a highlight and completely appropriate as one of the featured guests. Other members of the band get the spotlight in a fully appropriate manner throughout the show (i.e. Al and Matt Jardine, Probyn, Paul, Darian, Nicky) for vocal and solo prowess.

However, I always cringe when Nelson takes his tambourine/cowbell "solo" on "Fun, Fun, Fun" and runs around on the stage like an idiot. It adds nothing to the performance of the song other than a "look at me" moment for, the aptly-named, Mr. Bragg.

All very reasoned points. When it comes specifically to Stamos versus most anyone else, I would say it's a question of legitimacy in being on stage. Bragg is a professional musician, as is Chaplin. So if they do goofy stuff or eccentric stuff, it's within the context of having a legitimate place on stage. That's the difference with Stamos. He's an amateur. In the literal sense. He isn't a musician as his primary profession, and his skills on display are lacking. And while the "shtick" as it were on the part of Bragg is confined to maybe a song or two if that usually, Stamos has often pranced around on stage for song after song, goofed off on the drums and dragged the band down musically. Maybe the other guys in the band hear it and know it, but are polite and like Stamos. Maybe some of the guys dig that Stamos is a "chick magnet" and don't care if biffs his performance on the drums. I dunno.

As for the rest of Mike's band, they are professional and are good musicians and singers. I do think there's something different (and sometimes kind of skeevy) about sandwiching a woman between you and the guitar while playing it, as opposed to Nelson Bragg running around on stage with a tambourine. He shows at other points in the show (e.g. "Pet Sounds") that he's a pro percussionist.

Blondie is a whole other ball of wax. Most importantly, he's only on stage usually for his three songs. I would also argue his eccentricities aren't the same thing as Stamos's showboating. Also, again, Chaplin is a pro musician and singer, not to mention he was an actual Beach Boy. I've seen him do his thing at numerous Brian shows now, and at worst it's kind of funny and goofy and the absolute worst, most damning thing I could ever say about it is that I wonder if he might be bored doing the same three songs night after night, and two of the same songs now for probably 150-200 shows over the course of 2-3 years.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2017, 08:55:23 AM »

I will say, I don't really mind these guys being a ham on stage as long as the bandleader (BW in this case) is okay with it. However, I did think Scott Bennett piano surfing back in the day was kinda cheesy.

If Cowsill's back and forth with Nelson Bragg a couple years ago is any indication, I don't think Cowsill is the guy to go to if you're looking to hear complaints about Stamos.

I can't exactly remember but was there some beef between Cowsill and Bragg?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2017, 09:07:16 AM »

I will say, I don't really mind these guys being a ham on stage as long as the bandleader (BW in this case) is okay with it. However, I did think Scott Bennett piano surfing back in the day was kinda cheesy.

If Cowsill's back and forth with Nelson Bragg a couple years ago is any indication, I don't think Cowsill is the guy to go to if you're looking to hear complaints about Stamos.

I can't exactly remember but was there some beef between Cowsill and Bragg?

Regarding Bragg and Cowsill, this thread details some of it:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17981.0.html

In all fairness, I don't think all the comments/posts from all parties are still able to be seen, so I don't know how complete of a story that thread tells. I think Bragg's initial comments about Stamos are there, but Cowsill's comments about Bragg aren't and are only referenced (starting about at page 3). Bragg said something about Stamos, then Cowsill said something about Bragg (I think), and then everybody kind of apologized and fans like myself came to the conclusion that the weird conspiracy theory stuff about Stamos only served to obscure the *legitimate criticism* against Stamos for his on-stage shtick that night.

As to the point about hams on stage, it's usually not a huge deal. An occasional goofy moment isn't a major thing. With Stamos, it's a bigger deal because of his lack of musical ability coupled with the copious amount of time he spends and things he does on stage.

We all have things now and then that are kind of annoying. I wasn't a fan of Scott Bennett cajoling people to stand at shows in some cases, because it meant arbitrarily at a certain point in the show *everybody* had to stand for the entire remaining portion of the show. To me, it was like Bennett convincing the kid behind me to start kicking my seat or something; something that annoys me that someone had to go to a specific length to induce.

Most of the shtick in Mike's band is just an outgrowth, a slightly more tame version of the three ring circus stuff he's loved for the touring band for decades, going back to Mr. T drumming on stage and doing his tired "Be True to Your School" routine, etc.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:11:09 AM by HeyJude » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2017, 10:27:55 AM »

Jude, with stamos it's a "rock and roll fantasy camp" with a paying audience expecting the BBs instead.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2017, 07:04:26 PM »

I have seen Stamos with the band twice. The first was in 2010, my first Beach Boys concert...it was announced two days before the show and Baltimore was literally buzzing about it. I was 15 and in high school at the time and I remember many friends that knew nothing about the Beach Boys suddenly being excited that I was going to see Uncle Jessie.  LOL  I liked his involvement at the time. The only thing I didn't care for was all the overdone sh*t on Be True To Your School. I was ecstatic when he sang "Good Timing" instead of "Forever", not that I don't like the latter...I just never thought I'd hear the former and to this day, I haven't heard it since.

The second time was in Lancaster in 2014 and he was the reason I went...well, he was the way I talked my girlfriend into going.  LOL  She really wanted to see him in person so I got last minute tickets that were actually quite decent. He was much more "hammy" at this performance and he did sing "Forever" and the old country bumpkins up there just ate it up. That being said, he was noticeably looser at this show than in 2010. I didn't hear his guitar once and he was downright sloppy at times on drum kit, nearly throwing "Shut Down" completely off.

*Edit: Quick anecdote I just remember...when they brought the girls out for "Barbara Ann", they were all over John but he really sort of stood them up. There was a gentlemen probably in his 30's or 40's with down syndrome that was just going ballistic with joy during this song and it really stood out because the crowd looked like a damn graveyard. There were steps on the corner of the stage and John went down and motioned for him to join them on stage. He asng and danced with the guy the whole song and totally made his night. It was a really beautiful display. Doesn't excuse the former sloppiness, but it stuck with me. He even had Mike and Bruce sign the guy's Beach Boys shirt on stage.

Since then, my girlfriend has actually said she prefers the shows without Stamos...despite there being less eye candy on stage, she found the whole thing to be much more distracting than pleasing and ultimately, I think I do too. It was a fun novelty the first time, but I would be okay with him not appearing this summer.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:08:02 PM by RubberSoul13 » Logged
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2017, 12:24:57 AM »

That was a kind gesture to the developmentally disabled fan, and it is cool that he sang the magnificent Good Timin' at the first concert you went to. I know it's been said many times before and I have no desire to gratuitously beat a dead horse, but I'll just add my 2 cents and say that IMO it's an utter abomination and travesty that he should ever appear onstage with any incarnation of the "Beach Boys", just as it's an unspeakable atrocity that Donald Trump should have ever gotten anywhere near the Presidency. Flame away....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:32:28 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
KDS
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2017, 08:29:37 AM »

If he's only onstage for a couple songs, I wouldnt really mind. Especially if it means Forever would be in the setlist.

Overall, I think Stamos have done more good than bad for the Beach Boys.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2017, 08:37:09 AM »

If he's only onstage for a couple songs, I wouldnt really mind. Especially if it means Forever would be in the setlist.

How so?  Huh

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2017, 08:47:59 AM »

In UK, Stamos did whole gigs. Hammed it up a few very annoying times but modtly I found myself wondering why John Cowsill was being underused . And Stamos presence meant the loss of some deeper cuts to accommodate some schlock around Be true to your school.
KDS
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2017, 08:48:51 AM »

How so?  Huh

He's helped introduce a whole generation to the band.   Does that give him the right to be an honorary member?  Thats debateable.

But, theres a lot of people my age who were first exposed to The Beach Boys through Full House.  And I wouldnt doubt that many 30 somethings buying tickets to Brians and Mikes shows got their first taste of the BB through Stamos.
KDS
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2017, 08:52:26 AM »

I have seen Stamos with the band twice. The first was in 2010, my first Beach Boys concert...it was announced two days before the show and Baltimore was literally buzzing about it. I was 15 and in high school at the time and I remember many friends that knew nothing about the Beach Boys suddenly being excited that I was going to see Uncle Jessie.  LOL  I liked his involvement at the time. The only thing I didn't care for was all the overdone sh*t on Be True To Your School. I was ecstatic when he sang "Good Timing" instead of "Forever", not that I don't like the latter...I just never thought I'd hear the former and to this day, I haven't heard it since.

The second time was in Lancaster in 2014 and he was the reason I went...well, he was the way I talked my girlfriend into going.  LOL  She really wanted to see him in person so I got last minute tickets that were actually quite decent. He was much more "hammy" at this performance and he did sing "Forever" and the old country bumpkins up there just ate it up. That being said, he was noticeably looser at this show than in 2010. I didn't hear his guitar once and he was downright sloppy at times on drum kit, nearly throwing "Shut Down" completely off.

*Edit: Quick anecdote I just remember...when they brought the girls out for "Barbara Ann", they were all over John but he really sort of stood them up. There was a gentlemen probably in his 30's or 40's with down syndrome that was just going ballistic with joy during this song and it really stood out because the crowd looked like a damn graveyard. There were steps on the corner of the stage and John went down and motioned for him to join them on stage. He asng and danced with the guy the whole song and totally made his night. It was a really beautiful display. Doesn't excuse the former sloppiness, but it stuck with me. He even had Mike and Bruce sign the guy's Beach Boys shirt on stage.

Since then, my girlfriend has actually said she prefers the shows without Stamos...despite there being less eye candy on stage, she found the whole thing to be much more distracting than pleasing and ultimately, I think I do too. It was a fun novelty the first time, but I would be okay with him not appearing this summer.

RS, you're going to the OC show, right? 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2017, 09:21:30 AM »

How so?  Huh
OSD watching full house circa 1992.... Evil

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2017, 09:50:05 AM »

How so?  Huh
OSD watching full house circa 1992.... Evil

LOL LOL Easily one of the worst shows ever. Makes me more than appreciate how I found the BB's via the radio. Just so damn sad watching the boys end up on a piece of trash like that and then to parade him out on stage was nothing but pathetic.  Thud Thud Thud

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2017, 10:53:35 AM »

Ironic that it was Stamos idolizing Dennis that first led him to The Beach Boys, and this was a total Dennis Wilson move.  Can't tell you the number of times I carried a wheelchair up the side of the stage while Dennis carried a special needs person up in his arms, to watch the show from the wings.
KDS
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2017, 12:40:26 PM »

I'll agree that Full House really hasn't aged well. But, my five year old niece really likes it. And watching it with her, its not quite as terrible as I remembered.

Im still waiting for them to bring out Bob Saget for GV.  The guy covered all of the harmonies by himself.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2017, 06:34:46 PM »

Ironic that it was Stamos idolizing Dennis that first led him to The Beach Boys, and this was a total Dennis Wilson move.  Can't tell you the number of times I carried a wheelchair up the side of the stage while Dennis carried a special needs person up in his arms, to watch the show from the wings.

Right on- thanks for sharing!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2017, 06:35:19 PM »

Front row- dead center! Evening show...not the blue plate special at 4:30  LOL
KDS
« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2017, 10:26:12 PM »

Front row- dead center! Evening show...not the blue plate special at 4:30  LOL

Enjoy.  I wound up getting Deep Purple / Alice Cooper tix for that day at the 7th Layer of Hell........um....I mean Jiffy Lube Live. 

Tempted to check out Mike in Hagerstown in November. Or maybe Ill wait til next year and see if they do a Friends tour.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2017, 10:07:18 AM »

NICE!!! I won't be doing Hagerstown...and I wouldn't hold my breath on "Friends"!  LOL

I'm just spouting this off the top of my head without researching, but I think that might be the only album that Mike and Bruce haven't touched a single song from onstage with their band and without any other Beach Boys. Are there any others?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx