gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:42:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love "Wild Honey Tour" in Europe  (Read 56868 times)
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2017, 10:30:45 AM »

I´m sure that they play Still Cruisin on Spain. Now is time to perform Break Away for so many years
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2017, 06:39:34 PM »

Reading reports from Manchester. To all M&B concert goers, stay safe. Shame on those who think targeting children serves any purpose.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2017, 02:59:12 AM »

Reading reports from Manchester. To all M&B concert goers, stay safe. Shame on those who think targeting children serves any purpose.

Well said, PF. I'll echo that.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2017, 02:18:28 PM »

Here's Aren't You Glad (and lots more) from May 19th:

https://youtu.be/hhccFpgr6E4?t=2816
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:23:45 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2017, 09:59:05 AM »

Here's Aren't You Glad (and lots more) from May 19th:

https://youtu.be/hhccFpgr6E4?t=2816

Thanks, Rocker. The London set list differs considerably from what I heard last night:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-beach-boys/2017/nieuwe-luxor-theater-rotterdam-netherlands-3e77da3.html

No "Lady Lynda", "Let Him Run Wild", "All I Wanna Do", "Wendy", "Please Let Me Wonder", "Kiss Me, Baby",  "Dance, Dance, Dance",  "You Still Believe in Me", "Here Today", "Caroline, No" and "I'm Waiting for the Day".

Instead they did "You're So Good To Me", "Ballad Of Ole' Betsy", "Heroes And Villains" and "Forever" (sung by John S). 

I was most impressed, with most things but particularly "THWFOS".

Stamos acquitted himself really well. Mike looked and sounded fit enough to give it at least another ten years. Randy Leago played some fabulous sax lines and Totten sang (and played) his heart out. To say nothing of John C, who sang lead on "Cotton Fields" and "Wild Honey". All in all, a dandy combo, as FZ would have said.

Glad I went. :=)   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »

Hey y'all. Cheesy Gonna give Mike and the Boys a chance with the Berlin concert Thursday night (as I've never seen this incarnation of the band live). Brow
Anyone else gonna be there?

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2017, 02:58:22 PM »

Go to it and enjoy. I saw them the first time in my life. When i watched them in Rotterdam june 5th it just was a dream come true.

They sounded great!

I saw Brian 3 times but they are not as nearly as good as today BB touring band. If they come again next year i go again.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 11:18:12 AM by Dutchie » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2017, 01:31:26 AM »

Hey y'all. Cheesy Gonna give Mike and the Boys a chance with the Berlin concert Thursday night (as I've never seen this incarnation of the band live). Brow

I'd say there is about a 10% chance I might go. Can't really justify the cost at the moment.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2017, 06:18:29 AM »

F#CK the Mike Love haters out there. They sounded great!

Setting aside the irony of calling other people "haters" while saying "f*ck you" to them, congratulations that your show experience was so exhilarating and enjoyable that your first impulse was to go out and say "f*ck you" to a group of people.

Very few if any folks on this board are indicating hatred for Mike, and I'm pretty darn sure even Mike's biggest detractors don't post here saying "F*ck MIke fans!"

Most detractors of Mike have pointed out that his band/show is tight and professional. I can't fault the musical/vocal ability of his band.

As discussed ad nauseum in the past, there is a context issue to his shows that some fans find difficult to overcome (e.g. multiple living, willing, healthy Beach Boys not being in Mike's show), a context issue that the aftermath of C50 exacerbated. Having backing band guys singing leads that willing, living actual BB's could have been there singing is problematic for some, despite the quality performances those backing members offer.

But again, nobody since the late 90s/early 2000s has offered any scathing criticism for the musical quality of Mike's shows (and even then, even in the earliest post-Carl/Al days of 1998/1999, I don't think Mike's band sounded awful, they just sounded a little tired and rote and at worst usually just unremarkable rather than poor), and I don't think anybody here much begrudges any fan going to Mike's shows.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:24:02 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2017, 06:49:06 AM »

Setting aside the irony of calling other people "haters" while saying "f*ck you" to them, congratulations that your show experience was so exhilarating and enjoyable that your first impulse was to go out and say "f*ck you" to a group of people.

LOL

Of course I see your point, HJ. But I think part of it is a language thing. Not so long ago an elderly Dutch radio presenter on the "classical" channel said "Fuckin' 'ell!" because he really liked what he was hearing. And just about everyone says sh*t over here. So English swear words are meant less abrasively than they sound to non-Dutch ears. But I agree, a slightly less enthusiastic choice of words would have been more appropriate. Grin     

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2017, 07:04:21 AM »

It's offensive and rude word. Let's not make excuses for it. Roll Eyes HeyJude, you're right - I'd bet 90% of BBs fans who don't side with everything Mike says/ does/ sings/ writes give valid reasons for it. RE: Brian's band not good as touring band - sounds fair but it's single fan's opinion. As we see in youtube, the attendance is rife with full seats. Tickets sell thus plenty enjoy Brian & his band.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »

Go to it and enjoy. I saw them the first time in my life. When i watched them in Rotterdam june 5th it just was a dream come true.

I saw Brian 3 times but they are not as nearly as good as today BB touring band. If they come again next year i go again.

Having been lucky enough to have seen both bands within the last six weeks (saw Mike's band in London three weeks ago, and Brian's band at the end of April in New Jersey as well as multiple dates last year), I really have to very, very strongly disagree that Brian's band is not nearly as good today as Mike's touring band.  

Brian's band is a well-oiled machine of spectacular musicians.  There's not really much more to say.  It is made of extremely talented musicians, many that play multiple instruments and play them well, that back Brian as the star.  The arrangements are interesting and the band is tight.  In terms of singing, obviously Brian's voice is not in the best shape, but that's sure as hell made up for by Al, whose voice is incredible.  There's just no faulting this band.  

Mike's band is also full of talented musicians.  I will give Mike (and his band) credit for working hard - they played a more-than-three-hour show, which is hard work - but his voice is really not what it used to be.  Nor is Bruce's - you could clearly see this in Disney Girls - while it was a really beautiful rendition, you could hear Bruce straining to hit some of the higher notes.  None of this is surprising considering they're in their seventies.  (Al has somehow escaped this part of getting older.)  I also think Jeffrey Foskett adds a TON to this band - I know a lot of people here dislike him but I have to say that he did an amazing job on Darlin and Caroline No.  Just simple, great singing. Anyway, the band sounds very good, though the acoustics in RAH made it hard to hear at points.  But there was nothing, musically, that would make me say they are a better band than Brian's.  

Clearly, when you're Brian or Mike you can pretty much have your pick of backing musicians.  All the guys in both bands are really, really good at what they do.  But I would argue that the arrangements of the songs in Brian's bands are a little more interesting, they use a wider variety of instruments (at least on this tour that's the case).  To say that they are not nearly as good as Mike's band is a crazy statement, in my view.  

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:05:02 AM by marcella27 » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2017, 09:01:26 AM »

HeyJude...."living and WILLING beach boys" seems to be a bit of an exaggeration. In the year 2017, I think David Marks is the only one willing to step onstage with Mike, and those appearances seem to have diminished too...
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2017, 09:35:34 AM »

I was there as well. Indeed a great concert, and an unforgettable evening, as for me it lasted quite a bit longer than just the concert...

Got me a souvenir :-)

Going to BW in Amsterdam or Utrecht next month as well, Dutchie?

Enjoy the show, Lowbacca. They do a great show !

Btw, here's the setlist from the New Luxor Theater, Rotterdam on June 5th:

First set:
1. Surfin' Safari
2. Catch A Wave
3. Little Honda
4. Do It Again
5. Surfin' U.S.A.
6. Surfer Girl
7. Getcha Back (with new/additional lyrics)
8. Good To My Baby
9. You're So Good To Me
(Kiss Me Baby - was on the setlist, but was accidentally skipped)
10. Aren't You Glad
11. Darlin'
12. Why Do Fools Fall In Love
13. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
14. Cottonfields
15. The Ballad Of Ole Betsy
16. Don't Worry Baby
17. Little Deuce Coupe
18. 409
19. Shut Down
20. I Get Around

Second set:
21. California Dreamin'
22. California Girls
23. Then I Kissed Her
24. Sloop John B.
25. Wouldn't It Be Nice
26. Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring
27. Disney Girls (1957)
28. I Can Hear Music
29. Warmth Of The Sun
30. Forever (John Stamos leadvoc)
31. God Only Knows (w/ Carl's leadvocal from Knebworth 1980)
32. Pisces Brothers
33. Summer In Paradise
34. Heroes And Villains
35. Do You Wanna Dance? (w/ Dennis's original leadvocal)
36. Rock 'N' Roll Music
37. Help Me Rhonda
38. Kokomo
39. Good Vibrations

Encore:
40. Wild Honey
41. Barbara Ann
42. Fun Fun Fun

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2017, 10:45:04 AM »

Thats a nice one SmileHolland ! No i dont go to Brian Wilson. I think about the Smile concert when Brian was in great shape in 2005 in Amsterdam. I wanna keep those memories. I wish you a good concert SmileHoland.  Cheesy

For the other readers. I apologise that my F word come out wrong. I visit a lot of other forums and youtube and get tired of all the hate Mike Love gets there. Normaly i dont use that word. Maybe i shouldnt posted it that soon after the concert of the Beach Boys. I still think about that concert. I hope they come again next year.

Fot those who attend a Brian Wilson live concert..enjoy it  Smiley

Lets all enjoy the music from all of them. Thats what counts.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:47:15 AM by Dutchie » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2017, 12:06:30 PM »

Just curious. During the concert I heard someone talking about that song, right behind me. Any chance you were seated on the 1st balcony left as well?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2017, 12:27:57 PM »

Just curious. During the concert I heard someone talking about that song, right behind me. Any chance you were seated on the 1st balcony left as well?

Nope. I was in the stalls at the right (row 19). Only time I opened my mouth was to croak along to odd songs.

Glad you enjoyed it too. A question about Stamos on guitar: the man clearly oozes enthusiasm but I noticed him strumming all the way through the breaks in several songs! Wasn't he plugged in?! No matter----his drumming amply made up for it... 

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2017, 12:49:41 PM »

I WAS SITTING ROW 14. GREAT VIEW AND SOUND .
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:51:45 PM by Dutchie » Logged
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2017, 12:53:59 PM »

Nope. I was in the stalls at the right (row 19). Only time I opened my mouth was to croak along to odd songs.

Glad you enjoyed it too. A question about Stamos on guitar: the man clearly oozes enthusiasm but I noticed him strumming all the way through the breaks in several songs! Wasn't he plugged in?! No matter----his drumming amply made up for it... 

I was impressed how John Stamos drummed the intro to dont worry baby. So powerfull.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2017, 01:13:44 PM »

From my seat I couldn't see.

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »

Aren't You Glad sounds SO GOOD!  Shocked
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2017, 02:26:10 PM »

Aren't You Glad sounds SO GOOD!  Shocked

Right! I was knocked out by the quality in general. What a trip!

And to think that ten years ago I used to sneer at them as the Tourist Band. What a silly bunt.

GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2017, 10:10:16 AM »

From my seat I couldn't see.

John Stamos' singing and guitar playing were completely muted in the PA mix, with the exception of hos lead vocals on 'Forever'.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2017, 11:13:59 AM »

In my experience, judging from Stamos's work at BB shows from the mid 80s up until very recently, he's still a pretty poor drummer and mediocre guitarist. His singing is fine. Not "Beach Boys", but just fine. If he came on and played bongos and/or sang a song or something, it would have never been that big of a deal. But it's the amateur musicianship and hamming that, in some quarters, are found annoying and problematic.

Obviously, nobody in *Mike's* band seems to have a problem with it.

Much like the BBs probably had no business even in dabbling in "acting" on "Full House", the same is true of Stamos on stage. Just everybody stick to your main profession! Even Stamos admitted in that interview a few years ago that he'd be annoyed if he went to a show and Scott Baio jumped on stage.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2017, 12:23:46 PM »

*tumbleweed where Filleplage would have posted a rant at heyjude*

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx